Difference between revisions of "Edmonton AB Saint John Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral 1923"

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
Line 113: Line 113:
  
 
In 1983, the parish marked its 60th anniversary.
 
In 1983, the parish marked its 60th anniversary.
 +
 +
 +
[[File:Saint John's Cathedral 20170812 CS2.jpg]]
 +
 +
  
 
In 1984, [[Metropolitan John (Stinka) |Bishop John (Stinka)]] was elected to be the Bishop of Edmonton and the Western Diocese.
 
In 1984, [[Metropolitan John (Stinka) |Bishop John (Stinka)]] was elected to be the Bishop of Edmonton and the Western Diocese.
Line 152: Line 157:
 
The Cultural Centre is used for events such as weddings, banquets, socials, memorial dinners, seminars, workshops, conferences and meetings.
 
The Cultural Centre is used for events such as weddings, banquets, socials, memorial dinners, seminars, workshops, conferences and meetings.
  
[[File:2017.01.09 St. John EdmLarger.jpg]]
+
 
 +
[[File:Saint John's Cultural Centre 20170812 S2.jpg]] '''Cultural Centre'''
 +
 
  
 
In the cathedral parish, the ruling or administering bishop of the Western Diocese also serves as the rector of the cathedral.
 
In the cathedral parish, the ruling or administering bishop of the Western Diocese also serves as the rector of the cathedral.
Line 191: Line 198:
 
   Priest Cornell Zubritski 2008-   
 
   Priest Cornell Zubritski 2008-   
  
The cathedral parish is the centre of the Western Eparchy, Edmonton Region.   
+
[[[[File:2017.01.09 St. John EdmLarger.jpg]] '''Parishioners'''
  
 +
 +
The cathedral parish is the centre of the Western Eparchy, Edmonton Region. 
  
 
The parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
 
The parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

Revision as of 03:42, 13 August 2017

St John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral Edmonton.jpg

Edmonton, AB, Saint John’s Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, 1923


Prehistory

The first sobor (Church assembly) which formed the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada took place 28 December, 1918, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. This sobor was concerned to provide Orthodox Christian worship to the believers in the Ukrainian language instead of in Church Slavonic. The Ukrainian Brotherhood found a temporary bishop in the person of Metropolitan Germanos (Shehadi), who was a missionary metropolitan of the Antiochian Orthodox Church in the USA. He continued to oversee the early development of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada from the USA until 1924.

Establishing the parish

On 11 November, 1923, The Ukrainian Greek Orthodox parish of Saint John the Baptist was organised in Edmonton, Alberta. The founding members were :

 A Bodnaruk ; W Cheladyn ; Dr. G Dragan ; J Melnyk ; P Melnyk ; H Michalyshyn ; P Michalyshyn ; D Proniuk ; 
 H Shevchishin ; A Solowan ; A Syrotiuk ; J Yanishevsky.

The priest Kucey visited the parish to serve it.

In 1924, the Priest Senata arrived in Canada from Ukraine, and he became the priest who visited and served the parish. The first service was held on Pascha Sunday at the M Hrushevsky Institute, later known as “Saint John’s Institute”.

In September, 1924, Archbishop John (Theodorovych), who had come from the USA, came to visit in Edmonton for the first time. He had been elected at the sobor in Yorkton, Saskatchewan, to be the bishop of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada.

In the same year, the choir of the parish was officially established.

On 24 October, 1926, the priest Senata served the first Divine Liturgy in a church building, the former Grace Methodist Church, that was acquired on Kinistino Avenue, which is now 96 Street, and popularly called "Church Street". This building proved to be adequate, and the facilities were suitably adapted to suit Orthodox worship.

In 1926, a Women’s Organisation was established in the parish. In the same year, a similar national organisation had been founded in Saskatoon in the same year.

On 26 February, 1927, the parish adopted a formal constitution.

In 1928, church school classes began to be offered on Saturdays.

In 1929, the parish Women’s Organisation became affiliated with the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada (UWAC) as a local branch. The national organisation had been founded in 1926.

In 1930, a parsonage was built next to the Temple.

In 1933, the senior Ukrainian Orthodox Youth (CYMK) association was formed in the parish. The CYMK is usually closely associated with a parish’s women’s association.

On 21 January, 1934, a resolution was adopted which declared that this parish would formally become part of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada.

In 1935, the Junior CYMK was founded.

On 7 July, 1936, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Congregation of Saint John the Baptist was formally admitted to the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada.

On 25 September, 1938, the Edmonton parish of Saint John celebrated the 950th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ in Kyiv, the capital city of Rus', and now of Ukraine. Archbishop John (Theodorovych) made an archpastoral visitation, celebrated the Divine Liturgy, and blessed the new iconostas.

In 1940, the Junior CYMK was temporarily suspended.

In 1942, the Ukrainian Women’s Association took over the responsibility of the Saturday Ukrainian language and religion school.

In 1944, the church school classes were moved to Sundays and became a Sunday school.

In 1949, with stabilisation of society after World War II, the Junior CYMK was re-established.

Construction of a new Temple

On 7 May, 1950, Bishop Mstyslav (Skrypnyk), the head of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, blessed the grounds for the building of the new Temple. Construction began on 14 September.

On 4 April, 1951, the Edmonton parish was incorporated under the Religious Societies Land Act of the Province of Alberta under the name, “The Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Parish of St. John in Edmonton”.

On 29 November, Metropolitan Ilarion (Ohienko), the new leader of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, paid his first visit to the Edmonton parish.

On 31 August, 1952, Metropolitan Ilarion (Ohienko) blessed the cornerstone of the newly-constructed Temple.

On 17 May, 1953, Metropolitan Ilarion made an archpastoral visitation and he sanctified the new Temple, served the hierarchical Divine Liturgy and officially opened the new Temple.

In the same year, the Young Adults Club was formed.

In the same year, the Junior CYMK members were being given lessons in wood-carving and embroidery.

In 1955, a new parsonage was constructed near the Temple, and it was used as the residence of the priest.

In 1959, there was an extraordinary assembly of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada in Edmonton. On 5 June, the Archpriest H Metiuk was ordained to the Holy Episcopate to be Bishop Andrew (Metiuk), Bishop of Edmonton and the Western Eparchy (diocese).

Cathedral status

In this same year, Saint John’s parish became the Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral Parish of Saint John.

In 1961, on the 35th anniversary of the Saint John’s Branch of the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada, the local branch made a donation in the form of the new Holy Table, Oblation Table, vestments for the clergy and acolytes, and altar-coverings.

In 17 November, 1963, the parish celebrated its 40th anniversary.

In 1964, the construction of the auditorium began. It became known as a cultural centre, and it came to include the “Ukrainian Museum of Canada — Alberta Branch”. The hall was made available for rent, and a regular “perohy supper” was offered as a fundraiser in the hall.

On 31 October, 1965, the completed auditorium was blessed officially by Bishop Andrew. The first ball was organised.

In 1966, the Edmonton CYMK choir was formed for youth over 14 years of age. The choir sings during some services and on other occasions.

In 1968, the 50th anniversary of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was celebrated. In the same year, the bingo committee was established.

In 1971, a scholarship for theology students was established by the Ukrainian Women’s Association, Saint John’s Branch.

In 1973, a new iconostas was designed and written by the artist Wadym Dobrolige and installed in the cathedral.

On 28 October, 1973, the newly-constructed Saint John’s Ukrainian Home for Seniors was sanctified and officially opened.

2017.01.09 UOC Edmonton Saint John the Baptist Cathedral iconostasSmaller.jpg

50 years

In the same year, the parish celebrated its 50th anniversary.

On 2-5 July, 1975, the 15th Sobor of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg elected Archbishop Andrew to be the next metropolitan, and Bishop Boris (Yakovkevych) to be the Archbishop of Edmonton and the Western Diocese.

In 1976, mosaics were installed on the east wall of the Altar area.

In 1978, a mosaic of a “deisis” was installed on the arch above the iconostas.

In 1980, bronze doors, a gift of the Krysa family, were installed at the western entrance of the Temple.

On 25 July, 1980, the “V-Nok Cultural Society” was incorporated as “The Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Parish of St. John’s Cathedral and Recreational Association”. This group promotes the Ukrainian Orthodox Faith, and it raises funds to support the cathedral parish’s programmes and projects.

In 1982, mosaics were installed on the outside front wall and on either side of the entrance doors. In this year also, the parish marked the “Year of the Ukrainian Orthodox Youth”.

In 1983, the parish marked its 60th anniversary.


Saint John's Cathedral 20170812 CS2.jpg


In 1984, Bishop John (Stinka) was elected to be the Bishop of Edmonton and the Western Diocese.

In this same year, the Saint John’s Senior Citizen’s Home (Dnipro) was officially opened.

In 1988, the Western Diocese celebrated the 1,000th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’. There were 2 large stained-glass windows installed in the transepts of the cathedral. Also in this year, the Hawrysh Scholarship was established.

In 1989, reflecting the name-change of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada to “Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada”, the cathedral parish similarly changed its name to “The Ukrainian Orthodox Parish of Saint John in Edmonton”. The name-change was approved by the Government of Alberta on 18 July, 1989.

In 1990, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of Parliament in 1990.

In 1990, the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg decided to enter into Eucharistic Union with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople (Istanbul). This decision also changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.

In 1991, a meeting of the parishioners rejected a proposed plan for renovations and additions to Saint John’s Auditorium, and an alternative plan was accepted.

In the same year, the centennial of Ukrainian settlers in Canada was marked.

In 1992, the parish contributed substantially to an airlift of aid to Ukraine and to the project for the children of the Chernobyl disaster.

In 1993, the parish marked its 70th anniversary.

In 1994, there was a major renovation project which included making a physical connection between the auditorium and the Temple. The kitchen in the auditorium was renovated and expanded, and a seminary room was added.

In 1996, 4 stained-glass windows were installed at the west entry of the Temple.

In 1997, 8 stained-glass windows were installed in the dome of the Temple.

75 years

In November, 1998, the cathedral parish marked its 75th anniversary from 12-15 November.

The parish’s children who are eligible to serve as acolytes (Altar-boys) are those over age 8 who attend the Sunday school and who express the desire to participate in this way.

Cultural Centre

Saint John’s Cultural Centre was developed and opened for use in 1965. Many additions and renovations have enhanced the original facility, a recent one being the solarium, which was completed in 2001. The facility was established primarily to accommodate the needs of the congregation, various Ukrainian associations and the community at large.

The Cultural Centre is used for events such as weddings, banquets, socials, memorial dinners, seminars, workshops, conferences and meetings.


Saint John's Cultural Centre 20170812 S2.jpg Cultural Centre


In the cathedral parish, the ruling or administering bishop of the Western Diocese also serves as the rector of the cathedral.

Rectors of the parish included :

 Archpriest Yeronim Hrycyna 		1955-1958
 Archpriest Hryhory Metiuk 		1958
 Archbishop Andrew (Metiuk) 		1959-1975
 Archbishop Boris (Yakovkevych) 	1975-1984
 Archbishop John (Stinka) 		1984-2005
 Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) 		2008- 

Priests who have served as parish pastor include :

 Archpriest Dmytro Senata 		1923-1927
 Archpriest Peter Bilon 		1927-1928
 Archpriest Peter Sametz 		1928-1933
 Archpriest Yeronim Hrycyna 		1933-1940
 Archpriest Peter Melnychuk 		1940-1949
 Archpriest Ambrose Chrustawka	 	1949-1955
 Archpriest Thomas Kowalishin 		1954-1955
 Archpriest Michael Fyk 		1956-1962
 Archpriest Hryhory Metiuk 		1958-1959
 Archpriest Olexander Chomiak 		1959-1980
 Archpriest Thomas Kowalishin 		1962-1963
 Archpriest Dmytro Luchak 		1963-1970
 Archpriest Frank Kernisky 		1970-1974
 Archpriest Victor Lakusta 		1974-1984
 Archpriest Dmytro Luchak 		1981-1987
 Archpriest Nicholas Rauliuk 		1987-1992
 Archpriest Dr. Ivan Stus 		1990-1991
 Priest Taras Udod 			1991-1992
 Archpriest Stephan Semotiuk
 Priest Jaroslav Buciora 		1994
 Priest Brent Kuzyk 			1996-1997
 Priest Mykhail Ozimko	 		1999-2000
 Priest Ivan Petrouchtchak 		2001-2003
 Priest Volodymyr Bilous 		2003-2006
 Protopresbyter Mykola Petrushchak 	2006-2008
 Priest Cornell Zubritski 		2008-   

[[2017.01.09 St. John EdmLarger.jpg Parishioners


The cathedral parish is the centre of the Western Eparchy, Edmonton Region.

The parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist, 7 July/24 June.

In 2016, the rector of the cathedral parish is Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) ; the Priest Cornell Zubritsky is the associate pastor ; the Mitred Archpriest Stephan Semotiuk is the cathedral dean ; the Protopresbyter Paul Zmiyiwsky is attached ; Protodeacon Gary (Yaroslav) A Boychuk is attached ; Deacon Anton Lakusta is attached.


Address :

Saint John’s Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral

10951-107 Street

Edmonton, Alberta

T5H 2Z5

Telephone : 780-425-9692

Fax : 780-425-3991

Web-site : http://www.uocc-stjohn.ca

E-mail : info@uocc-stjohn.ca

E-mail : culturalcentre@uocc-stjohn.ca

E-mail : admin@uocc-wd.ca


Directions :

The cathedral Temple is found in the Central McDougall neighbourhood in central Edmonton.

By car, approaching from 111 Avenue, turn south on 107 Street. The cathedral is 1 block south of 111 Avenue. Approaching from 109 Street, turn east at 110 Avenue. The cathedral is 2 blocks east of 109 Street. Approaching from 107 Avenue, turn north on 107 Street. The cathedral is 3 blocks north of 107 Avenue. Approaching from Kingsway Avenue, turn south at 105 Street . Turn right at 110 Avenue. The cathedral is 2 blocks west of 105 Street.

There is a parking lot and parking on neighbourhood streets.

There is bus service on 111 Avenue and on 109 Street. The cathedral is 3 blocks from the Kingsway RAH Station of the Edmonton LRT.


Mailing address :

Saint John’s Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral

10611-110 Avenue

Edmonton, Alberta

T5H 2Z5


Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk)

Telephone : 780-455-1938

Priest Cornell Zubritsky

Telephones : 780-428-8612 (home) ; 780-691-0637 (mobile)

E-mails : priest@uocc-stjohn.ca ; cornell_z@shaw.ca

Protopresbyter Stephan Semotiuk

Telephone : 780-475-3712

E-mail : rssemotiuk@shaw.ca

Marshall Kachmar (Council president)

E-mail : president@uocc-stjohn.ca


References :

Saint John’s Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, “75th Anniversary St. John’s Cathedral” (Edmonton, AB : Saint John’s Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, 1998).

Wikipedia article


Additional information :

Sametz, William, "My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada" (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056.

UOCC listing

Western Eparchy web-site

Parish history video

Virtual tour

UOCC Consistory listing

Wikipedia "Ukrainian Canadians"