Difference between revisions of "Winnipeg MB Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral 1946"

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
Line 88: Line 88:
 
“Outreach : Caring Hands Committee” reaches out to parishioners who do not attend Church on a regular basis, and sees to visiting parishioners who are homebound, in hospitals, in institutions, or in senior care facilities.  The Committee is kept informed of those that fall ill or lose loved ones and provide appropriate attention on behalf of the Parish.  The Outreach Committee also delivers “Sviat Vechir” and Paschal Baskets, in order to include shut-ins in the major celebrations of the Church.   
 
“Outreach : Caring Hands Committee” reaches out to parishioners who do not attend Church on a regular basis, and sees to visiting parishioners who are homebound, in hospitals, in institutions, or in senior care facilities.  The Committee is kept informed of those that fall ill or lose loved ones and provide appropriate attention on behalf of the Parish.  The Outreach Committee also delivers “Sviat Vechir” and Paschal Baskets, in order to include shut-ins in the major celebrations of the Church.   
  
“UWAC (Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada) Lesia Ukrainka Branch” meets regularly, and organises various social functions, such as bazaars, teas, bingo, bake-sales, vareniky sales, holubtsy sales, etc.   
+
“UWAC ([http://uwac-national.ca Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada]) Lesia Ukrainka Branch” meets regularly, and organises various social functions, such as bazaars, teas, bingo, bake-sales, vareniky sales, holubtsy sales, etc.   
  
 
The UWAC also operates the [https://www.htuomc.org/museum.html Museum]
 
The UWAC also operates the [https://www.htuomc.org/museum.html Museum]

Revision as of 00:46, 20 November 2017

Holytrinitycathedral1.jpg


Winnipeg, MB, Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral, 1946


Prehistory

The history in Winnipeg, Manitoba, of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada (now the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada) developed in the midst of various difficulties and confusions, many of them being external events and situations. Although the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church (UGOCC) had been established in 1918-1919 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, it was 1923 before the first Ukrainian Greek Orthodox parish was established in Winnipeg. This was Saint Mary Protectress Sobor at Burrows Avenue and Sinclair Street. Saint Michael’s (Bukovynian) Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Point Douglas had been established earlier, in 1918, but that community did not enter the UGOCC until later. Saint Ivan Suchavsky Sobor at 939, Main Street, was established in 1931, and it belonged to a different Ukrainian Orthodox jurisdiction (headquartered in the USA).

Formation of the parish

The Holy Trinity Parish was organised in March, 1946. The Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was seriously concerned about a need for a central archiepiscopal cathedral (as a result of the separate status at that time of the Saint Mary Protectress parish), and the newly organised parish offered to serve as a Cathedral Parish.

The Ninth General Council (Sobor) of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church in Canada, which met in July, 1946, accepted the offer of the parish, and it ruled that the parish would be charged with the responsibilities of building a suitable cathedral Temple.

It was this 1946 sobor which elected Bishop Mstyslav (Skrypnyk) to succeed Archbishop John (Teodorovych), and to become the first resident head of the UGOCC as the Archbishop of Winnipeg. He arrived from Germany, and he began to serve. However, he remained only for 2 years because of differences with the UGOCC administration. He later departed for New York, USA. He was followed temporarily by Metropolitan Polikarp (Sikorski) of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox church (UAOC) in Europe.

The present site of the metropolitan cathedral was purchased in May, 1946. Architectural designs for the proposed cathedral were sought. On 26 May, 1948, the Selection Committee recommended a sketch entitled “Kiev” which was submitted by George Korbin and Alexander Powstenko. This “Kiev” sketch served as a model from which the present cathedral building was developed. Building procedure guidance was given by Mr. Alexander Lasko, a Toronto, Ontario architect. The firm of Pratt and Ross of Winnipeg was engaged as architects, and on the basis of the “Kiev” sketch, drew up plans and specifications for the building of the auditorium portion of the cathedral as the first phase of the building programme.

In 1951, he became the Metropolitan and Primate of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada. From the outset, he began to improve the good order of the UGOCC, both spiritually and practically.


1950s Church school.jpg 1950s Church school


Construction of the lower auditorium

The auditorium portion of the project was constructed by Wallace and Aikens of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The building was started late in 1949, and it completed in 1952. This auditorium served both as a Temple and as a cultural centre.

Construction of the upper Temple

Preparations for the completion of the Cathedral Temple itself were initiated in 1957. Mr. Alex Nitchuk was engaged as the architect. The building committee and the architect were guided by the experiences of other parishes in Canada who had recently done ecclesiastical construction, and by some valuable recommendations which were offered by Mr, George Kodak who has distinguished himself as an architect and designer of Ukrainian Churches in Eastern Canada. The building contract was awarded to Semmler Construction Company of which the late Mr. Matt Solonyka (a member of the cathedral parish) was a partner.

The completed auditorium and Temple were dedicated and sanctified on the Sunday of Pentecost, 8 June, 1962, by Metropolitan Ilarion (Ohienko), the spiritual head of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada.

The first Divine Service within the newly-built and nearly-completed cathedral Temple was celebrated on Ukrainian Christmas Eve, 6 January, 1962, by the parish priest, the Archpriest Michael Yurkiwsky. The first Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Metropolitan Ilarion (Ohienko) on Christmas Day, 7 January, 1962.


Altar Iconography, Holy Table S.jpg Altar iconography, Holy Table

High Place s.jpg High Place

HOLY TRINITY UKR. ORTHODOX interior s.jpg Cathedral interior

Westward view s.jpg Westward view


The mosaic image of the Holy Trinity at the front of the cathedral was installed in 1988. It marked the thousandth anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ in Kyiv.


Mosaic icon s.jpg Mosaic icon


In 1990, the “Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada” (UGOCC) was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of Parliament.

In 1990, the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg decided to enter into Eucharistic Union with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople (Istanbul). This decision also changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.

In the same year, the centennial of Ukrainian settlers in Canada was marked.

It was soon afterwards, in 1997, that Saint Ivan Suchavsky’s Sobor entered the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (UOCC).

Fire ; repairs ; re-sanctification

On the evening of 14 July, 2016, there was a 3-alarm fire at Holy Trinity Cathedral. It was deliberately set by an arsonist(s) who broke into the building at night. More than 100 firefighters put out the fire. The damage was substantial (much of the damage was from smoke and water), and cost more than $1,000,00.00. Repairs and restoration took many months in order to accomplish enough to allow for public worship again. During the interim, the parish met first for worship at the Cropo Funeral Chapel nearby. By 7 January, 2017, it was possible to offer services again in the basement auditorium. The total time required in this auditorium was 7 months.


Repairs in progress.jpg Repairs in progress


More repairs.jpg More repairs


A re-sanctification service was celebrated on 2 July, 2017. This service blessed sanctified the Temple for use again. Although the Cathedral is not completely restored, worship was possible within the Temple. The completion of the chandelier and iconostasis was to come in the following year, after which they would blessed, and there would an official re-opening of the cathedral.

Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk) led the services, as he co-served with Metropolitan Antony (Scharba) and Archbishop Daniel (Zelinsky) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA, and Bishop Andrij (Peshko), Bishop of the Eastern Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. Other clergy who also served were the Archpriests Eugene Maximiuk (Parish Priest of the Cathedral), Taras Udod (Chancellor of the UOCC), Roman Bozyk (Dean of the Faculty of Theology at Saint Andrew’s College), Richard Ehrmantraut, Evan Maximiuk, and Deacon Bob Hladiuk. Choir was directed by Dr. Jeff Saranchuk and Cantors were Bill Drewniak and Keith Swinton.


Organisations

The cathedral parish has many participating organisations :

“Busy Hands Committee” plans, organises and implements the monthly “All You Can Eat” Perogy Luncheons, from September to May.

“Seniors’ Golden Age Club” has weekly meetings, every Wednesday at 10:00am from October to May. Members participate in a variety of activities.

“Outreach : Caring Hands Committee” reaches out to parishioners who do not attend Church on a regular basis, and sees to visiting parishioners who are homebound, in hospitals, in institutions, or in senior care facilities. The Committee is kept informed of those that fall ill or lose loved ones and provide appropriate attention on behalf of the Parish. The Outreach Committee also delivers “Sviat Vechir” and Paschal Baskets, in order to include shut-ins in the major celebrations of the Church.

“UWAC (Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada) Lesia Ukrainka Branch” meets regularly, and organises various social functions, such as bazaars, teas, bingo, bake-sales, vareniky sales, holubtsy sales, etc.

The UWAC also operates the Museum

In 1950, the cathedral parish founded its own Manitoba Branch of the “Ukrainian Museum of Canada”, which in 1936 had been established as a part of the Ukrainian Women’'s Association of Canada.

The local branch in the cathedral houses a collection of Ukrainian folk arts and crafts brought from Ukraine by early pioneers and includes traditional dress of various regions, woven articles (“kylyms”), Easter eggs (“pysanky”), wood carvings, a library and gift shop. Most of the collection was donated by descendants of the first, second and third waves of Ukrainian immigrants to Canada.


TYC - “Ukrainian Self-Reliance Association of Canada” has long served as a sort of “umbrella” organisation which, for more than 75 years, has helped to provide leadership and service to the Ukrainian Orthodox community in Canada by fostering the creation of various programmes and institutions. In particular, the USRL/CYC through its constituent member organisations, the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada (UWAC/CYK), the Ukrainian Self-Reliance Association (TYC), the Ukrainian Orthodox Youth (CYMK/UOY) and the Saint John Fraternal Society have fostered the use and development of and Ukrainian language, culture and the Orthodox Faith in Canada. USRL/CYC's institutional members, the Ukrainian Museum of Canada, the Institutes, the Union of Ukrainian Community Centres, and SUS Foundation of Canada were created to provide specific services to the Ukrainian Orthodox community and beyond, thereby helping to perpetuate the finest traditions of the Ukrainian Canadians.

“Order of Saint Andrew -Winnipeg Chapter” meets monthly at the Ukrainian Metropolitan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity. The Order of Saint Andrew draws its members from all the churches in the Winnipeg Eparchial region. The order has the responsibility for raising funds and other needs of Saint Andrew’s College. The order constitutes a separate organisation that can assist Saint Andrew’s College in fulfilling its important role in Ukrainian Orthodox religious and cultural life. The main responsibilities of the order are to participate in church sacraments and other church services such as funerals, memorials, convocations, and festivals. The Order of Saint Andrew’s Board encourages all parishes to support the fundraising activities for the benefit of Saint Andrew’s College so that the college can fulfil its stated mission and its most important role in providing leaders for the Church and the community. The chaplain of the Order of Saint Andrew - Winnipeg Chapter is the Archpriest Gene Maximiuk.

“Helping Hands” is a newly-established charity-based group. The sole purpose of this group is to help those in need beyond the parish community ; to serve as a foundation for demonstrating the fundamental Christian activity of helping those who are in need.

The “Church School” is provided during the school year months, in order to supplement the Orthodox Christian formation provided to children in the homes of the parish families. Parents are encouraged to bring their children weekly and regularly to the Divine Liturgy, and they are offered various means for supporting the formation of the children.

The “Saint Stephen the Protomartyr Altar Server Brotherhood” provides an organisation to recruit youths who are willing to help the clergy during the Divine Services, to help in their formation, and to encourage their offering of good work.

The “CYMK - Ukrainian Orthodox Youth” is an association which is intended to to educate and to train young people to be exemplary citizens of Canada, to prepare youth for the future, and for their future role in the Ukrainian Canadian community. There are 2 active local groups in Winnipeg : at Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral and at Saint Mary the Protectress Sobor. The senior CYMK formed one group which encompasses youth from all the Winnipeg parishes. Many activities are done collectively for maximum participation and fun. The youth also actively participate in projects to help others.

The “Ukrainian Orthodox Summer Camp Veselka” meets annually in Gimli, Manitoba. The summer programme provides : arts & crafts projects ; sports and swimming ; culinary arts training ; Ukrainian cultural activities ; instruction in the Orthodox Faith and worship ; fun and friends.

The “Rozmai Ukrainian Dance Company and School of Dance” is a dynamic Ukrainian dance ensemble which was established in 1971. The repertoire consists of dances and costumes which are reflective of each region of Ukraine. The school of dance trains children and young people from age 4 and up in the art and technique of dance, and prepares candidates for the dance company itself.


Holy Trinity Cathedral is a registered historical site.

The cathedral parish is a part of the Central Eparchy, and the Winnipeg District, of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

In 2017, the rector of the cathedral parish is Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk) ; the pastor of the parish is Archpriest Eugene Maximiuk ; attached is the Archpriest Taras Udod ; the deacon is Deacon Bob Hladiuk.


Address :

Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral

1175, Main Street

Winnipeg, Manitoba

R2W 3S4

Telephones : 204-582-8946 (Church Office) ; 204-582-7345 (Auditorium) ; 204-582-4659 (Fax) ; 204-582-1018 (Museum).

Web-site: www.htuomc.org

Facebook


Directions :

The Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral is situated 1/2 block north of the corner of Main Street and Redwood Avenue.

By car :

From eastern Winnipeg, drive on the Henderson Highway north or south until Redwood Avenue. Turn westwards on Hespeler Avenue. Cross the bridge, and the cathedral is on the right. Alternatively, cross the Red River from the east on Saint Mary’s Road or on Provencher Road. Then drive north on Main Street until the cathedral is found on the right.

By bus :

Consult http://winnipegtransit.com/en.

Bus routes #18 and #32 northbound stop at Saint John’s Park, just to the north of the cathedral.

Bus routes #18 and #32 southbound stop opposite the northbound stop, at the corner of Mountain Avenue.


Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)

Telephones : (toll-free) 1-877-586-3093 ; 204-586-3093 (extension 226)

E-mail : metropolitan@uocc.ca


Archpriest Eugene Maximiuk (Pastor)

76 Weinberg Road

Winnipeg, Manitoba

R2V 1M8

Telephone : (204) 336-0996

E-mail : molze@mts.net


Archpriest Taras Udod

Telephones : (Toll-Free) 1-877-586-3093 ; 204-586-3093 (extension 227)

E-mail : chancellor@uocc.ca


Deacon Bob Hladiuk

Telephone : (204) 334-3175


Reference :

Original article


Additional information :

Ukrainian Voice

Manitoba Historical Society article