Sifton MB †Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church 1900-2010
Sifton, Manitoba, †Holy Resurrection Russo Orthodox Church, 1900-2010
Prehistory
At the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries, Sifton, Manitoba, Canada, was an important centre of religious activity for the Orthodox Christian Mission in Canada. This mission was an extension of the original Russian Orthodox Mission in Alaska, USA, which began in 1794, and which developed with immigration through the main part of the USA and then in Canada.
Sifton was also a centre of woolen and grain mills in the region, about 347 km (215 mi) northwest of Winnipeg, Manitoba, and 196 km (122 mi) northeast of Yorkton, Saskatchewan. From about 1900, the region in all directions from Sifton had acquired a substantial population of immigrants from the Bukovina region of Moldavia (now divided between Ukraine and Romania).
Located near (about 1 km/0.6 mi distant) to the church was Holy Ascension Monastery, Orphanage, and Pastoral School, established in part through the efforts of Archbishop Arseny (Chahovtsov). The monastery and parish served many pioneering immigrants from Ukraine and elsewhere for several decades. The monastery existed into the 1960s, when the depopulation of rural areas began to affect the Sifton region significantly. Sifton is now a small hamlet in west-central Manitoba.
The first presence, 1905
Although the Temple’s actual construction did not occur until 1926, there was already in Sifton a community gathered around the female monastic community that had established an orphanage in 1905.
This parish community in the village is to be distinguished from the monastery. However, there was considerable interaction for a long time. Even after the construction of the distinct Temple in the village, the parishioners were constantly involved in supporting the life of the monastery. They supplemented the choir on greater occasions, and they helped with the maintenance of the grounds and buildings.
The second and third presences, 1926
When the Temple was built in 1926 (the same year as the men's monastery was constructed), it was lovingly constructed by local people themselves (as was the case with the building of the majority of western Canadian temples). Here, they were mostly Ukrainian and Russian farmers, who worked under the direction of Vladyka Arseny. This Temple was built in the "Lemko" style common to what is today southeastern Poland. Some features, especially in the interior, were reminiscent of those of the Temple of the Holy Trinity at Manitoba Avenue and McKenzie Street in Winnipeg. The main persons who were involved in this construction were :
Nick Bazylo ; William Ferpeliuk ; Metro Kindret ; W Kuzyk ; Mike Meremiuk ; John Rolla ; Steve Yacentiuk ; Peter and John Yellowega ; and many others.
Priests from the monastery would serve in this Temple, as well as in the monastery, and sometimes there was a priest for the parish only. Fred James, a senior parishioner at Holy Trinity Sobor in Winnipeg, recalled in the 1980s that when he was a lad, he had worked with the older men in the building of this Temple. It had been an indelibly memorable joy for him.
The following is an extract from a report about Sifton :
The Monastery was built in 1926 one mile from Sifton in a thicketed area – that was the year Monk Varnava [Karateev] was in Winnipeg from Mt. Athos. Bishop Arseny made him the abbot there, and Reader Mitrofan (Rak) joined him. After Father Varnava was Fr. Theodore Ivasiuk, and three candidates for the priesthood : John Diachina, Peter Bondarchuk and Leontii Kiachina. Two attained to the priesthood and went to serve (Father John and Father Leontii). Father Mitrofan was left there alone and to him came a monk from Pochaev, Father Aggei. Then from Volyn in Ukraine came Effimi Moseychuk, who stayed for two years. Many more came and went to other parishes. The Monastery has two Altar Feasts, one is Holy Ascension and one is Holy Transfiguration, which was when the Monastery was founded. More than 200 people come out from 30-50 miles around. The order of celebration (when Vladyka ARSENY was there) was : before Liturgy, the Blessing of Water, the Liturgy, following which, Vladyka would bless the entire well, and then all would walk around all the monastery, blessing, and go to the cemetery, where they would have a big parastas (remembrance) for all, and then those who wanted would have a panykhyda (service for the departed) on the individual grave. Then everyone would return to the buildings and sit down to a joint feast, as everyone who came brought food. Then at four, everyone would leave the table, and go on their way, filled, satisfied and rejoicing [...] these were blessed times ! At that time Vladyka Arseny was well, and he flew like an eagle to the ends of Canada. The people by the hundreds came to services when he was there and were strengthened by his sermons. The monastery had horses, cows, poultry, and there were those who looked after the land and the livestock. Father Mitrophan built his own kelia (cell) there. In the main building lived the nun, Platonida and a female worker. From her quarters, the fire started and burned everything : the church with its lovely altar, the beautiful Kyivo-Pecherska Gospel that Fr. Mitrophan collected funds for over a period of two years, and which weighed about thirty pounds. Absolutely everything burned ! All the vestments, books, the typicon, furniture, curtains, everything. Since then it has been a tough go, a small amount of money comes from the land, and the meadow is let to a farmer for pasture. At present [1945] Fr. Ignatii Falovsky and Igumen Makarii (previously Mitrophan) live there. — Based on a 1945 report by Igumen Makarii.
A newspaper article of recent years reported about the Holy Resurrection Temple :
The building, with its narrow form, modest footprint and tall bell tower, displays an eye-catching emphasis on the vertical. It recalls the complex history of religious expression in the province, including the significant role played by the village of Sifton, where the Russian Orthodox Church maintained a monastery, which also served as a nunnery and orphanage and a pastoral school for the training of priests.
After the retirement of Vladyka Arseny (Chahovtsov) in 1938, the life of this parish continued as it had before, with its life intertwined with that of the monastery.
During these early years, there began to be felt the presence in Sifton also of the newly-developing Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada. Eventually, another parish would be established in the village.
Vladyka Arseny's retirement, 1936 ; pilgrimages
On the 2 great feast-days kept most solemnly by the monastery, large numbers of pilgrims would arrive (as many as 200) by railway, automobiles and horse-drawn vehicles. In every aspect of these feast-days, the parishioners of Holy Resurrection were helping and supporting the monks to care for the huge influx of visitors.
An element which remained from the beginning in the pilgrimage schedule until the termination of the pilgrimages, was the procession from the village to the monastery (or later, to the Temple of the Holy Resurrection). This is because it had been the habit of Vladyka Arseny to arrive by rail at the Great Northern Railway station in Sifton, and, accompanied by the pilgrims, to make his way on foot to the monastery, where he would then begin to serve. The memory of the much-beloved bishop was kept in such a simple, subtle and loving manner.
Depopulation, after 1945
However, the jurisdictional turmoil in Orthodox ecclesiastical life in Canada, which had developed after the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 in Russia, continued to disturb and to divide the Orthodox Faithful. In addition, the rural depopulation that had begun before World War II continued to increase afterwards. In Sifton, the consolidation and centralisation of factories into larger centres resulted in the disappearance of such local factories, and thus the former economic base of the village itself began to disappear. The village had had pottery-producers, grist-mills and woolen-mills. As a consequence, the population of the village, and of all the congregations in it steadily diminished.
It was not because of lack of faith or any lack of love for the Lord that conditions became poor. It was because the economic conditions of the region had become so limited that people moved away for one or another reason. Industry left. Jobs disappeared. There were simply far fewer people living in the region. Those who remained were mostly older people. At the same time, the period from the 1950s until the 1980s was difficult for the Archdiocese of Canada (for the most part because of external events and influences), and the availability of clergy to serve decreased considerably. The Holy Resurrection Temple was served less often for this reason, and also because the parish financial base had greatly decreased.
After the repose in Christ of Father Khariton Velma (†1961), and then the departure of Father Evgeny Olendy in the 1960s, the situation became yet more difficult. The parishioners continued in their faithfulness to seek for and to support any visit by a priest when it was possible. During these years, most of the visiting clergy came from [1].
The Temple before restoration
New hope, 1980s
By the 1980s, there had begun to be a renewal in the number of available clergy. Although the priests who served still travelled mostly from Winnipeg, in the later part of the decade, there began to be clergy living in the region of Yorkton, Saskatchewan. From then on, Sifton and the other parishes in the region were cared for by clergy from both cities (Winnipeg and Yorkton).
Although the pilgrimages to the Holy Ascension Monastery had for the most part ceased by this time, there had been a 50th anniversary pilgrimage in 1976. Then, in 1987, there was a revival of this pilgrimage on an annual basis. The parish of the Holy Resurrection in Sifton was an active participant, and by this time, a necessary participant. The monastery had become uninhabitable, and only the parastas (a memorial service) could be offered in the cemetery. All the other services were offered in the Holy Resurrection Temple. By this time, there were not large numbers of participants, but there were nevertheless many who attended. Some were renewing their participation from long years before, and some were now discovering the joy of this pilgrimage.
This interest and support opened the door for a very large project to be undertaken : the repair and renewal of the Temple of the Holy Resurrection, and its preservation both as an official historic site with museum-type displays, and a place for prayer and pilgrimage. This project was undertaken before 2004 by Dorothy (Dot) Connolly of Sifton and Katya Szalasznyj of Saskatoon. It was a huge and demanding project fraught with obstacles (which, with the Lord’s help, were overcome). They were supported by the parishioners in Sifton and by people elsewhere. They received the support of the Archdiocese of Canada, and of historical societies from which funding could be secured. The principal of these was the Manitoba Prairie Churches Project of the Manitoba Historical Society.
Photos from the time of the renovation
The Temple moved aside as the old foundation was removed and replaced
View from the north, during renovations
Near view of scaffolding for repairs and painting
View of the interior, taken from the choir-loft
Historical site, 2004
In 2004, Holy Resurrection Temple was officially declared to be a Manitoba Historical Site by an act of the provincial legislature. After this, there were many repairs undertaken with the funds provided. The most spectacular of these was the raising and moving of the Temple off its foundations, followed by the removal and replacement of the old foundation with a new one, and the return of the Temple to the new foundation.
The renovated, painted Temple
Quiet Garden
As a result, the Temple stood alone, “on a pleasant large lot, continuing its service by hosting an annual Pilgrimage of Orthodoxy and functioning as a museum and interpretive centre for the Faith”. The Temple was then accompanied by the development of a properly landscaped garden, which became an officially registered “Quiet Garden”. This is a society founded in and from Buckinghamshire, UK, and it supports the development of places for people to sit and be still in pleasant surroundings.
2006 Visit of the Icon "Joy of Canada" to Sifton
In the Autumn, 2006, issue of "The Canadian Orthodox Messenger", p. 10, there was an an announcement about the impending opening of the museum :
On 23 June, 2007, there was an annual pilgrimage at Holy Resurrection Church, which was very well-attended. This pilgrimage included the blessing and opening of the Canadian Orthodox Pioneer Museum which was located in the newly-renovated Temple, and it was recorded in the Autumn, 2007, issue of "The Canadian Orthodox Messenger", p. 13.
Previously, there had been 2 such pilgrimages every year which were blessed by Archbishop Arseny. One was on the Feast of the Ascension of Christ, and the other was on the Feast of Transfiguration of Christ.
Catastrophe, 2010
Then, alas, on Wednesday night, 8 September, 2010, the hamlet of Sifton lost one of its landmarks, when Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church burned completely to the ground. Local residents first saw the flames at 11:00 p.m. Firefighters were unable to extinguish the rapidly spreading fire. By 1:00 a.m. Thursday, only the smouldering basement remained.
It remains unknown what or who started the fire, although a recent increase in vandalism and thefts in the area led some locals to suspect arson. It was never proven. Officials stated that the cause was sparks from a grass fire. Alas, also, there was no insurance on the building due to a lack of funds. Many historical and irreplaceable artifacts, including books, were destroyed. The whole work of renovation had not quite yet been completed. This Temple had been described as “a rare surviving structure that illustrates the early influence of the Russian Orthodox Faith in rural Manitoba”.
Remnants
After the destruction, a commemorative display was set up on the land where the Temple of the Holy Resurrection had previously stood. On the occasions when prayers are still said at the monastic cemetery nearby, the parish and the witness of this Temple are still recalled.
The priests who were the pastors in this Temple since 1950 include :
Archpriest Alexy Shovheniuk 1950 Archpriest Khariton Velma 1953 Archimandrite Ignatii (Falovsky) 1953 Archpriest Efimy Moseychuk 1954 Priest Dimitry Levinetz 1956 Archpriest Efimy Moseychuk 1959 Priest Joseph Khomik ; Priest Evgenii Olendy 1963-1970 Mitred Archpriest Efimy Moseychuk 1970-1983 Priest Evan Lowig 1983-1987 Priest Dennis Pihach 1989-1991 Priest Rodion Luciuk 1992-____
The Archpriest Robert S Kennaugh (especially when he was the regional dean) frequently served in this parish (he travelled with his wife and others from Winnipeg), and at the pilgrimages over a period of more than 15 years.
The principal families belonging to Holy Resurrection parish were :
the Arthurs ; the Atamanchuks ; the Babees ; the Dowhuns ; the Dutkas ; the Gnizdoskis ; the Holowachuks ; the Hupalos ; the Huskas ; the Katchers ; the Lesyks ; the Lozinskis ; the Matviuks ; the Rafalskis (John) ; the Slonowskis ; the Weselowskis ; the Yuswaks ; and many others.
Not all the families are visibly represented in the local cemetery. Some may not have been able to afford more than a wooden Cross as a marker, and some may have been interred elsewhere.
Cemetery
Holy Resurrection Church did not have its own cemetery.
However, interments when necessary took place at the cemetery of the Monastery of the Holy Ascension, about a kilometre distant to the west. Sometimes, interments took place elsewhere in the region.
Holy Ascension Monastery Cemetery, Sifton
Particular parish information
This parish was part of the Deanery of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nunavut of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean was the Archpriest Robert S Kennaugh. The bishop was Archbishop Seraphim (Storheim).
This parish followed the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this Temple was the Feast of the Ascension of Christ (in association with that of the monastery).
Address :
Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church
Railway Avenue & First Street
Sifton, Manitoba
R0L 1X0
Directions :
Sifton , Manitoba, is situated 196 km (122 mi) northeast from Yorkton, Saskatchewan, by car, and the journey takes a little more than 2 hours.
Drive eastwards on Highway SK-#10 E to Highway MB-#5 E in Shell River at the border with Manitoba. Continue on #MB-5 E towards Sifton. First, turn left onto Highway MB-#10 N (at Road #127 west) (signs for Swan River). Turn right on Highway #267 and drive east about 2 km (1 mi) to Sifton.
Sifton is 347 km (215 mi) northwest from Winnipeg, Manitoba, by car, and the journey takes about 5½ hours.
Drive westwards on the Trans-Canada Highway #1 (Portage Avenue) out of the city until there are signs for Highway #16 (Yellowhead Route) towards Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Exit to the right onto Highway #16. Drive briefly on Highway #16/Manitoba Road #10, and then turn left onto Highway #16. After approximately 129 km (80 mi), follow the exit to the right for Manitoba Highway #83 towards Roblin. Turn left onto Highway #83. After about 95 km (59 mi), turn right (east) onto Secondary Highway #586. Drive about 1 km (.6 mi).
Sifton is situated 144 km (89 mi) southeast of Swan River, Manitoba.
From the north, or from other local sites, approach Sifton by Highway #10 or Highway #20. Sifton is on Secondary Highway #267, southeast of Swan River.
References
Hainsworth, Priest K John, “Archbishop Arseny : a Vita” (Montreal, QC: Alexander Press, 2007). © by Alexander Press, 2007. ISBN : 1-896800-50-5.
Klysh, Protopresbyter Mirone, “Orthodox Christians in Manitoba”
Lesyk, Elsie, “Sifton Then and Now : A Reminiscence of the Pioneer Era” (Dauphin, MB : Self-published by Elsie Lesyk, 1992). ISBN 10 : 1550561766, ISBN 13 : 9781550561760.
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Canada’s Historical Places web-site
Additional information :
Sametz, William, “My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056.
Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America (OCA)
Orthodox World reference to Holy Resurrection Church
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)
Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)
Archimandrite Ignaty (Falovsky)
Mitred Archpriest John and Matushka Maria Diachina
Sifton MB Monastery of the Holy Ascension 1910-1970
Findagrave reference for the Cemetery of the Monastery of the Holy Ascension Sifton Manitoba
Historic Sites of Manitoba : Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church (Sifton, RM of Dauphin)
Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 266 about Holy Resurrection Church, Sifton, Manitoba
Wikipedia article about the Quiet Garden Trust
Canadian Encylopaedia article about rural depopulation
The Thomas Sill Foundation : Prairie Churches Project
“Sifton, Manitoba’s historic Church destroyed by Fire” (11 September, 2010)
“Sifton, Manitoba's historic Church destroyed by Fire” (11 September, 2010)
“Manitoba Cooperator article : It was twice a work of wonder – but Sifton’s marvellous Russian Orthodox Church suffered a cruel fate” (17 January, 2013)
‘Holy Resurrection Church, Sifton, MB’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), p. 7.
‘Miracle of renewal at Sifton, Manitoba’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Winter, 2004/2005), pp. 12-13.
‘Sifton Seasonal Museum of Orthodoxy’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2006), p. 10.
‘“Joy of Canada“ Icon visits Sifton pilgrimage’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger“ (Winter, 2006/2007), p. 7.
‘Annual Sifton Pilgrimage held, Orthodox museum opened’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2007), p. 13.











