Dysart SK †Saint George Romanian Orthodox Church 1902-2016
Dysart, Saskatchewan, †Romanian Orthodox Church of Saint George, 1902-2016
Vladica may be spelt Vladyka.
Prehistory
Before 1900 people began to emigrate from Romania to Canada. In the region from which the Romanian immigrants came, almost every village had its own Temple. If there were none, then on a regular basis, people would generally walk to the nearest village in which there was one. People there were unable to own land, but they could lease it. This lease-arrangement could be passed on to the children under certain circumstances.
Before 1900, a publicity campaign was undertaken by the Canadian government and the railways in order to attract immigrants to Western Canada. The territory of Romania was one of the targets. This campaign offered a substantial portion of land (160 acres) which could be purchased for $10.00. A large number of Romanians embraced the opportunity.
They began to arrive in Canada from various parts of Romania, and many continued on to Regina, Saskatchewan (then in the Northwest Territories) and beyond. In Regina, a substantial number of them learnt about the availability of land in the region of Dysart-Cupar, north of Fort Qu’Appelle, and between 75 and 95 km (47 and 60 mi) northeast of Regina. They applied for and received permission to establish homesteads in this region. The first Romanians who settled in and around Dysart arrived in the early 1890s. Most of these had come from the province of Bucovina. The land that they began to farm as they settled was called "Oxbow loam".
Most of the newcomers to the Dysart region after this time had come from the region of Dobrugea, near the Danube Delta by the Black Sea. Others came from yet other regions.
By 1904, the region was properly surveyed, and by 1906, the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) line from Brandon, Manitoba, had reached Dysart en route to Bulyea, Saskatchewan.
The family names of the Romanian pioneers of this district include :
Adamache ; Avram ; Bachiu ; Belan ; Comanici ; Corchis ; Costea ; Costescu ; Duduman ; Dumba ; Frank ; Gherasim ; Ionescu ; Konecsni ' Lupastian ; Magda ; Maxim ; Nistor ; Oltean ; Onofrei ; Paun ; Petrar ; Petrascu ; Postelnic ; Richea ; Roman ; Scrobe ; Simeon ; Sirbu ; Smadu ; Stan ; Stancuilescu ; Staruiala ; Sulea ; Tarcia ; Tudor ; Vasil ; Vilcu , and others.
Besides farming, the Romanian pioneers participated in every sort of business activity in Dysart, and there were very many who served on the Village Council, including :
Paul Hornung ; M Oltean ; John Petrar ; Elie Richea ; J P Shalovelo ; Steve Stan ; Bert Sulea.
Establishment of the community, 1902
In 1902, the first services were begun when Archimandrite Eughenie (Ungurianu) (†1933) began to drive by horse-and-buggy from Regina to Dysart for that purpose. He continued to do this throughout his pastorate.
Archimandrite Eughenie (Ungurianu)
Services were offered at first in the homes of the people and other suitable sites. The newcomers had plenty of faith and determination, but almost no money. The proper establishment of the community with the construction of a Temple took some time. Father Eughenie served the community until about 1911, and this continuity greatly helped the establishment of the faithful community. Later on, he returned to Romania, where he reposed, and his body was interred at the Văratic Monastery in Neamţ County in Romania.
Construction of the Temple, 1906
In 1906, the Romanian Orthodox Temple of Saint George was erected by the pioneers of the region, who by this time had established their farms. The chief carpenter was Locke Jonescu. About 40 persons promised to give $30.00 and to contribute labour towards the project. The construction was not completed, however, until the following year.
On 17 June, 1907, Archimandrite Eughenie (Ungureanu) (who had travelled from Regina) blessed the new Temple.
Newly-constructed Saint George's Temple, Dysart
At this time, the new parish was affiliated with the Saint Nicholas parish in Regina. This missionary procedure allowed a larger and more established community to foster and support the growth of a newer community.
The founding trustees (sponsors) of the Temple were :
Nicolae Corches ; Constantine Dumba ; Aurel Magda ; Josif Milos.
The first baptism in the Temple for which there remain records was recorded in 1910.
The first funeral in the Temple for which there remain records was served also in 1910.
The first marriage in the Temple for which there remain records was solemnised in 1919.
In 1911, a house was purchased by the parish for the use of the priest and the parish. It had previously been used as a store, and it had living quarters upstairs. The house, conveniently across the street from the Temple, had 4 rooms.
Parish house and Archimandrite Eughenie (Ungureanu)
During World War I, several men served in the armed forces. They include :
Vasile Catchuk ; 'N' Corchis (killed in action) ; 'N' Zvanchuk. ('N' means unknown name.)
Another photo with some parishioners
In 1918, Archimandrite Silvestru (Ionescu), who had served in this parish, and who was serving in Regina, fell asleep in the Lord.
After the Funeral Services for the Burial of a Presbyter, the body of Archimandrite Silvestru (Ionescu) was interred in the Saint George Cemetery at Dysart.
During the 1920s, renovations were made to the Temple.
1928 fire destroys records
In 1928, there was a fire at Saint George's Church in Regina. This fire destroyed many of the earliest records (from before 1910) of the parish in Dysart.
14 June, 1936, visit of Bishop Policarp (Morusca)
On 14 June, 1936, Bishop Policarp (Moruşca) visited the parish of Saint George, and he served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy together with Archimandrite Daniil (Maxim). Vladica Policarp also served at the parishes of Saint Nicholas in Regina, and Saint Mary in Kayville during his visit.
Group photo with Bishop Policarp, 1936
Romanian Ladies Club, 1937
On 15 January, 1937, the Romanian Ladies’ Club was established with a membership of 28 women. The first executive included Maria Oltan (president), and Elena Stan (secretary). This group of faithful women began and continued to cater for many functions in the community.
40 years, 1942
During World War II, many parishioners served in the armed forces. These include :
George Bachiu ; J Bachiu ; C Belof ; George Dumba ; Betty Frank ; Sam George (from Southey, killed in action) ; Bill Gherasim ; John Isfan (killed in action) ; John Jijian ; E Jonesu ; J Milos ; P Milos ; J Petrar ; G Richea ; D Scrobe ; H Scrobe ; B (G) Stan ; George (H) Stan ; John (G) Stan ; John (J) Stan ; Nick Stan ; Sam Stan ; W (H) Stan ; George Staruiala ; D Tudor ; George Tudor ; William Tudor.
In 1945, there was a second renovation of the Temple. An extension of 4.9 metres (16 feet) was completed, along with 2 semi-circular towers on either side, near the Altar portion of the building. The traditional monastic-style seats around the perimeter of the interior of the Temple were introduced at this time.
Parish hall, 1947
In 1947, a parish hall was constructed diagonally across from the Temple. It was afterwards both renovated and enlarged, and it was used primarily for church and social celebrations.
During the Korean War, J Paun served in the armed forces.
Split in the 1950s
A controversy arose when there was a movement to transfer the parish from the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America to the Romanian Patriarchate's parishes in North America. The movement produced a division in the parish, which then led to a challenge in the civil courts.
The judgement of the civil courts regarding the ownership of the property was in favour of the incumbent priest (Archimandrite Daniil (Maxim)) and the Romanian Episcopate, in accordance with the existing constitution and by-laws of the parish.
The sad consequences include the painful fact that Father Daniil (Maxim) was rather badly beaten by certain persons because of the hot tempers regarding this disagreement. Those who did the beating were sentenced by the court 2 years later.
The second consequence of this division was that more than half the parishioners left the Orthodox Christian Church and joined themselves either to the Roman Catholic parish or to the Anglican parish in the village.
In 1962, Archimandrite Maxim's brother, Archimandrite Teofil (Maxim) retired from his active pastoral service in Ontario, and he moved to Dysart to be near his brother and to assist him.
Renovation, 1968
In 1968, the interior of the Temple was again renovated.
Pews were installed at this time. Their introduction had been resisted by the original founders, since they were not part of normal Romanian Orthodox Temples.
As with other communities, rural depopulation affected both the Dysart-Cupar region and this parish. The drastic reduction in the number of families living on family farms and the moving away of people to larger urban centres greatly reduced the number of persons remaining in the region and participating in parish life. Despite their having moved away, however, very many people from afar love the Temple in which they were nurtured as Orthodox Christians.
Father Daniil (Maxim), 1922-1969
Father Daniil (Maxim) was the longest-serving priest in this parish. He was born on 12 October, 1891, in the Bucovina region of Moldavia in Romania. While he was still a young boy, Daniil’s father was killed in a foresting accident. His widowed mother placed her 2 sons Daniil and Teofil in the Secu Monastery. There, Daniil began his religious training.
Secu Monastery "Beheading of John the Baptist" Temple
In 1910, Daniil was tonsured to be a monk, and later he was ordained to the Holy Diaconate. He then was transferred to the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple, of Saint Parascheva, and of Saint George, where he was assigned to perform certain duties.
In 1919, the Hierodeacon Daniil (Maxim) was ordained to the Holy Priesthood, and in 1920, he was assigned to serve as vicar in the cathedral.
In 1922, the Hieromonk Daniil (Maxim) emigrated to Canada. He arrived in Dysart on 21 November, 1922, to take up his assignment as the pastor of the parish of Saint George. From Dysart, Father Daniil also served the parishes in Flintoft, Regina, Lennard-Inglis (Manitoba), and Calgary (Alberta).
In 1929, Protosinghel Daniil represented the Canadian Western Deanery at a Church congress in Detroit, Michigan, where they decided to form the first Romanian Episcopate in North America.
Hieromonks Teofil and Daniil (Maxim)
In 1962, Archimandrite Teofil (Maxim) retired from his pastoral service in Timmins, Ontario, and he moved to live in Dysart, near his brother. By this time, Father Daniil's health was failing, and Father Teofil was able to help him in his pastoral duties, and to assist him personally.
Archimandrite Daniil (Maxim) continued to serve in Saint George’s Romanian Orthodox Church in Dysart until 1969, when he retired.
In 1978, Archimandrite Daniil (Maxim) fell asleep in the Lord in the Shalom Nursing Home in Cupar, Saskatchewan.
Heritage description of the Temple
Saint George’s Romanian Orthodox Church was a Municipal Heritage Property, which is located on 2 lots at 201, McKendre Street in the Village of Dysart. The property features a 1-story wood-frame building with a prominent spire and cast-iron Cross over the main door. The structure was built in 1906.
The heritage value of this Temple in Dysart rests in its status as a cultural landmark. Dysart and area is one of the oldest Romanian Orthodox communities in Saskatchewan. It has been an important gathering place for the community during the past century. The heritage value also resides in its architectural style, which contributes to the property’s status as a landmark in the community. The property features elements of the Gothic Revival style, such as the prominent central belfry with bell-shaped spire and the stylized cast-iron trefoil Botonee Cross, pointed-arch windows, and barrel-vault nave. The original Temple was extended and the unusual semi-circular transepts added in 1945, creating the familiar Eastern Orthodox cruciform plan. The transepts exhibit Palladian-style windows. Smaller spires grace the roof of the transepts and sanctuary, each of which is surmounted by a stylized cast-iron trefoil Botonee Cross projecting from a cast-iron ball. In these transepts traditionally stand the singers. The Temple stands as one of the oldest remaining buildings in Dysart.
The heritage value further resides in the interior elements that reflect the Eastern Orthodox Christian Faith. These include the east-end Altar area, which is separated from the nave by an iconostas with the traditional round-arched central royal double-door and side deacon’s doors, and the choir loft above the narthex.
Closure of the Temple, 2016
In 2016, because of depopulation, it was decided by the local deanery and the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America to close the Temple. The icons and other holy articles were removed to the Temple at the centre in Fort Qu'Appelle, and the building itself was dismantled.
This parish was, in fact, the oldest Romanian Orthodox community in rural Saskatchewan. The first parish in Saskatchewan was that of Saint Nicholas in Regina (1901). The first Romanian families had arrived in Regina and in Dysart in the early 1890s.
Saint George Romanian Orthodox Cemetery, Dysart, 1907
The Saint George Romanian Orthodox Cemetery is situated in the Rural Municipality of Lipton #217, at NE09-13-16-W2. It is north of Fort Qu’Appelle.
In March, 1907, a 1-acre plot of land was purchased for the purpose of establishing a nearby cemetery. This land was also blessed by Archimandrite Eughenie.
The first burial in the cemetery was in 1908. In 2024, there were more than 426 graves.
The bells
With regard to the bells of this Temple, certain details are relevant :
There were 2 bells in the Temple bell-house. The larger bell weighed 2500 lbs., and this one was sent to the Vatra in Michigan when the Temple was dismantled. On this bell, there is written : “A. Cnenici si George Stăruială au buit biserica, 1946”, which means “A Cnenici and George Stăruială rang the bells (at) church, 1946”.
“A Cnenici” is a Serbian name, probably from Banat. The verb “a bui” is from Transylvania and Banat, and it means “to (begin to) ring out, to boom” or “to give signals sounding the horn” (in this case the bell). By writing this message, they wanted to leave their mark upon the bell for future generations, a usual custom amongst Romanians. They very much loved this way of serving the Church, which they felt was very important for their community. In general, the person who rang the bell at the Temple was customarily selected by the priest from amongst the men who had not committed any grievous sins (such as stealing, killing, adultery) and it was also considered to be a way towards personal salvation.
The second bell was transferred to the parish cemetery when the Temple was dismantled, and it was placed in a special structure there.
Bell transferred from the Temple
There is a theory that when the bells are rung, the air is purified around the Temple. Russian researchers say that the sound of bells breaks viruses and bacteria (supporting this theory are many stories from Byelorussian Monasteries not far from Chernobyl after the disaster). For the specific sound produced, the bell metal is an alloy of 9 metals including both pure silver and gold.
Former parish priests
The priests who have served this community include :
Archimandrite Eughenie (Ungureanu) 1902-1911 Priest Gheorghiu Hentia 1911 Priest Ghenadie Gheorghiu 1911-1915 Priest Sylvester Jonescu 1915-1918 Hieromonk Teodosie (Nica) 1919-1920 Priest Ghenadie Gheorghiu 1920-1922 Archimandrite Daniil (Maxim) 1922-1968 Priest Panteleimon Stanciu 1968-1979 Thereafter, various priests travelling from Regina.
Particular parish information
This parish was a part of the Vicariate of Canada of the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America. The bishop was Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp).
This community followed the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish was the Feast of Saint George the Great Martyr, 23 April.
In 2016, this community, which had been administered by the Canadian Vicariate of the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, was closed during the latter part of that year by Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) and the Episcopate Council. The closure was decided upon because of a lack of parishioners who would be able to maintain the structure. Therefore, it was arranged that the Temple structure be dismantled.
Address :
Saint George’s Romanian Orthodox Church
201, McKendre Street
Dysart, Saskatchewan
S0G 1H0
Directions :
Dysart is located approximately 92 km (57 mi) northeast of Regina. The journey takes a little over 1 hour. It is also approximately 290 km (180 mi) southeast of Saskatoon, and the journey takes about 3 hours.
The Rural Municipality of Lipton is north of Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan.
From the north, take Highway #6 south to Highway #22 (Southey). Turn left. Drive past Markinch and Cupar. Take the first entrance into Dysart. Turn right on Assiniboia Avenue. The Temple was on the right.
From the south, take Highway #6 north to Highway #22 (Southey). Turn right. Pass Markinch and Cupar. Take the first entrance into Dysart. Turn right on Assiniboia Avenue. The Temple was on the right.
From the east, take Highway #1 west to Fort Qu’Appelle. Turn right onto Highway #35. Highway #35 will meet Highway #10. Stay on Highway #35 through Fort Qu’Appelle, and continue north to Lipton. Turn left at Lipton onto Highway #22. Take the first entrance into Dysart. Turn right on McKendre Street. Proceed for 1 block. The Temple was on the right.
From the west, take Highway #1 east to Regina. Take Highway #6 north, and then follow directions above from the south.
The parish and cemetery were administered by the Vicariate.
Priest Dan Hoarste, Vicar for the parishes of the Romanian Episcopate in Canada.
PO Box 309
Grass Lake, Michigan 49240
USA
References
Bugea, Eleanor, “Romanians in Canada” (Michigan : Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, 2009), pp. 19-22, 113-116. ISBN : 978-1-929200-14-6.
Dysart District Historical Society “Dysart & District: Yesterday and Today” (Regina : Dysart District Historical Society, 1982). ISBN: 0-919673-19-X.
McLennan, David “Our Towns: Saskatchewan Communities from Abbey to Zenon Park” (Regina, Saskatchewan : Canadian Plains Research Center, 2008). ©2008 Canadian Plains Research Center. ISBN: 978-0-88977-209-0.
Sandulescu, Archpriest George, 'Saskatchewan's Romanian Orthodox Communities Including Dysart, Wood Mountain, Kayville, Assiniboia, Pierceland, Regina' in "SGS (Saskatchewan Genealogical Society) Bulletin", vol. 19, no. 1, 1988, p. 81.
Village of Dysart Bylaw No. 4/87 : Character-Defining Elements
Historic Places listing for Saint George Romanian Orthodox Church, Dysart
Additional information :
Anderson, Alan, “Settling Saskatchewan” (Regina : University of Regina Press, 2013).
'Archimandrite Eughenie (Ungurianu)' in “Romanians in Canada”, pp. 89, 113.
The obituary of Archimandrite Daniil (Maxim) was published in “The Regina Leader-Post” on 27 February, 1978.
Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America web-site
Romanian Orthodox Vicariate of Canada (ROVOC)
Romanian Orthodox Episcopate Canadian Western Deanery
Archimandrite Martinian (Ivanovici)
Saint Nicholas Romanian Orthodox Church, Regina
Saint George Romanian Orthodox Cathedral, Regina
Orthodoxwiki article about the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America (ROEA)
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America (OCA)
OCA listing for the Romanian Orthodox Deanery Centre of Canada
List of Orthodox Christian parishes in Saskatchewan
Saint George’s Romanian Orthodox Church in Dysart, a Municipal Heritage Property
Findagrave listing for Dysart Saint George's Romanian Orthodox Cemetery
Findagrave list of cemetery names
Wikipedia article about Dysart
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Romanian Canadians










