Lennard MB Saint Elijah the Prophet Romanian Orthodox Church 1902

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Two Temples 2.png

Lennard, Manitoba, Romanian Orthodox Church of Saint Elijah the Prophet, 1902


Elijah is spelt Elie in Romanian. It also may be spelt Elias, Ilia, Ilya.


The beginning

At the turn of the 20th century, the first immigrants arrived in the Shell Valley area around Lennard, Manitoba, Canada. It is situated 390 km (242 mi) northwest of Winnipeg, Manitoba, and 103 km (64 mi) east from Yorkton, Saskatchewan. These new-comers to Canada had emigrated from parts of Romania, primarily from the Province of Bucovina. At that time, this region was in its entirety part of the Province of Moldavia (now called "Western Moldavia" by some). However, at that time, the region was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Lennard is situated about 34 km (21 mi) southeast of Roblin, Manitoba, and about 105 km (65 mi) southwest of Dauphin, Manitoba. The immigrant settlers came primarily from the region of Bucovina and Western Ukraine.

As Romanian Orthodox Christians, building an Orthodox Christian Temple in which to worship was at the top of their priorities, since their relationship with the Lord God and their need to have a focussed place in which to make their petitions and to express their gratitude to Him, came even before building their own permanent homes.

First Temple, 1902

The very beginning of the parish of the Holy Prophet Elijah ("Sfântul Prooroc Elie") occurred on the Sunday of the Feast of Pascha in 1902. On that day, a group of Romanian and Ukrainian pioneers held a lay-person’s service in the open air. Immediately afterwards, they set to work building a sod Temple (actually, a unique construction) on the prairie, which was finished the next year. The exterior was covered with wood.

In 1903, a wooden Temple was constructed on 2 acres of land donated by Elie Burla. This building served the farmers’ needs until 1908.


Lennard Saint Elijah first Temple.png First wooden Temple


Saint Elias Church Lennard MB 1903 2 (2).png Parishioners

Second Temple ; official founding the community, 1908

In 1908, on the same site, a larger Temple was constructed, which was made of finished timber and plaster walls. It was designed by a local man, Alexei Slusarchuk, in the rounded style of Bucovina, and the little building was decorated with icons which the people had brought from their homeland.

The Temple was given its name in honour of the first settler and giver of the property, whose name was Elie (Elijah), and whose name-saint (the saint after whom he was named) was the Holy Prophet Elias. Thus, the parish was officially founded by 20 members on 1 July, 1908.

Somewhat later, John Paulencu donated another 2 acres of land in order to meet the requirements of the local community.


StElMu PioneerChurch HisDoc2 001 1908.jpg The second Temple


By 1910, the number of voting members increased to 31, and by 1920, they numbered 50.

From that time, the membership remained between 30 and 50. During this time, the Great Crash of 1929, the Great Depression with the Great Drought had begun, and people faced many great challenges throughout the country, and particularly the farmers.

Sanctification of the Temple, 1936

Because of World War I (1914-1918), various economic difficulties and other circumstances, the Temple that had been constructed in 1908 was not able to be formally sanctified until 1936.

On 7 June, 1936, the Temple was sanctified by Bishop Polycarp (Moruşca). He had been ordained the year before, and he had been assigned to serve as the first Romanian Orthodox Bishop of the newly-established Romanian Diocese in North America.

At that time, Hieromonk Glicherie (Popa) was the pastor.


StElMu PioneerChurch HisDoc 001 1936 Bishop Policarp.jpg


In 1939, Father Glicherie (Popa) and the parishioners combined their financial resources, and they constructed a comfortable country-style parish house a few metres distant from the Temple.

Third Temple, 1952

By about 1950, the younger generation of Romanians in Lennard understood that the old Temple no longer met their needs. In particular, it was too small.

Therefore, they began the process of constructing a new Temple.


Saint Elijah Temple 3.jpg Third Temple


In 1952, they laid the foundation of the third Temple of the parish, which was to measure 9.1 m (30 ft) by 18.2 m (60 ft), with an area of 167.2 square metres (1,800 square feet).

Beneath the Temple, the basement hall was prepared to be used for dinners, religious school, and choir rehearsals. Parishioner Peter Gaber designed the structure and prepared the plans, which were then executed by the members themselves in collaboration with the contractor P Dupont in Saint Lazare, Québec. Eventually, the complete cost of the work amounted to $20,000.00 for materials. However, if the parishioners had not done most of the work themselves, this figure would have been doubled.

These hard-working farmers did not have large sums of money to invest at any one time. Therefore, between contributing funds and personal labour, the work was spread out over several years. The basic framework was ready to be blessed in 1954 by Archimandrite Daniel Maxim and Fathers Glicherie Popa and Petru Tatoiu. The rest of the construction of the Temple (including the equipping and decorating) was not completed until 1962.

During the years of construction, every member of the parish of Saint Elijah took part in gathering the needed money for their parish construction project. The Ladies’ Auxiliary, in particular, prepared and offered a large series of dinners, parties, and bazaars, while the men helped with carpentry and masonry in their free time. Thus, little by little, the Temple was brought to completion.

Saint Elias Cemetery Lennard entrance 1.jpg Entrance to Saint Elijah's Temple and Cemetery


Some of the days were spent on another very important project : in authentic Romanian fashion, the 1908 building was not razed. Rather, it was moved to the side in the churchyard, where it became a revered shrine. It was intended that it eventually be used as a museum. In due course, this intention was fulfilled. After the construction was completed, this old Temple was moved and situated not far from the cemetery, and separated from the new Temple by a stand of tall trees.

In 1979, as part of this project, a major renovation and renewal of the original Temple was undertaken.


StEliasROCLennardMB1979Renovation 1.png The 1979 renovation


Saint Elie Lennard MB 2.png

The Pioneer Temple and part of the cemetery (after the move)


The new Temple contains 14 large pews which accommodate 116 persons, with space for another 150 in the choir and standing besides. The basement hall can accommodate about 150 persons. The iconostas was made by Providence Church Goods Company in Winnipeg (operated by Jacob Maydanyk until 1979), but some of the early icons were transferred from the old Temple. These were mainly prints. Since then, new oil paintings were done by artist I Gaspar from Winnipeg. With the exception of the shapes of doors and windows, the Temple’s exterior is quite similar to the design of Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church in MacNutt, Saskatchewan.

About some priests who served in this Temple

Hieromonk Glicherie (Popa)

Hieromonk Glicherie (Popa) was a priest-monk who served the parish of Saint Elijah twice during his life, and he did so in the spirit of monastic obedience, primarily with the intention to fulfil God's will in his life. He arrived for the first time in the 1930s, and the second time, about 20 years later, he remained in this community until the end of his days. His body is interred in the parish grave-yard. The following details about him are from the history book by Eleanor Bugea, "Romanians in Canada" (p. 182).

Hieromonk Glicherie (Popa) was born in Bacau, Moldavia. His father was an army officer who was married 3 times, and who had children with each of his wives. In 1905, when young Glicherie had reached the age of 24, he could no longer live what he considered to be a good life with his new mother, and he entered the Holy Ascension Neamț Monastery. He was soon tonsured to be a monk, and quite soon became the "econom" (treasurer) of the monastery. In 1913, having previously been ordained to the Holy Diaconate, he was ordained to the Holy Priesthood.

In 1914, a Romanian Canadian, Nicolai Zara, travelled to visit his relatives in Romania. Because World War I broke out when he was there, he could not return to Canada. He begged for refuge in the Neamț Monastery, where he befriended Hieromonk Glicherie. While he was there, he received letters from Canada that informed him of the need for a priest. Thus, he asked Father Glicherie to go to Canada. In 1918, the Canadian left the monastery without a priest. A hieromonk cannot leave the monastery, and certainly not for such a project, unless the abbot gave the blessing. In this case, the blessing of the diocesan bishop was also required, which seems not to have been given at that time. At that time, the bishop was Metropolitan Pimen (Georgescu).

Furthermore, Father Glicherie had been assigned to a parish in Bucovina, and he had no intention of going to Canada. However, the letters from Canada kept arriving. In 1921, with the blessing of Metropolitan Pimen (Georgescu) and at the request of the Regina parish, Hieromonk Glicherie left for Canada. Hieromonk Glicherie did not serve in Regina, but he served first in Windsor, Ontario. At that time, the crops were poor because of the first Great Drought, and many farmers had moved there for work. When Hieromonk Glicherie arrived in Windsor, he served the parish for about 17 months. Then he returned to Romania and his intention was not to return to Canada. However, the parishioners in Windsor sent many letters pleading for him to return. Hieromonk Glicherie returned only to find that the pastoral position there had already been filled.

Therefore, he left Canada for the USA, and he served a parish in Cincinnati, Ohio. After this, he was sent to Lennard, Manitoba, after which he was sent Ellwood City, Pennsylvania. After having been sent to serve in Indianapolis, Indiana, he was transferred back to Lennard, Manitoba, where he served until his death in 1958. At the time, his salary was $500.00 a year including a house and household expenses.

The life of an immigrant priest in Canada in those days was of an itinerant nature. The parishioners made adjustments according to circumstances and kept the parishes open and growing.

Archimandrite Martinian (Ivanovici)

During the time when Archimandrite Martinian (Ivanovici) was the pastor of the parish of Saint Elijah (1955-1966), the parish increased substantially in numbers. The records show that there were 18 members who began the building project in 1952. By 1961, the number had grown to 52.

Father Peter Avram served the parish from 1967 to 1970, followed by Father Constantin Turcoane (1970-1971), Father Panteleimon Stanciu (1971-1972), and Father John Fleser (1972-1976). From June, 1976, to 15 December, 1978, Father Mirone P Klysh occasionally served the parish.

Priest Nicolae Marioncu

As of 15 December, 1978, the Priest Nicolae Marioncu became the parish priest at Saint Elijah’s Church. He served the parish of Saint Elijah (and also Saint John the Baptist Church in Shell Valley, Manitoba, and Holy Trinity Church in McNutt, Saskatchewan) until 1989.

In 1989, he became Dean of the Romanian Orthodox Churches of Canada for 4 years, while he was living at Fort Qu’appelle, Saskatchewan.

After retiring in 1992, Father Marioncu returned to the Lennard area and he resided in Russell until his repose in Christ.

On 5 November, 2009, the funeral service for Father Marioncu was conducted by 7 priests and deacons, and Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) of the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America in Jackson, Michigan. After the services, his body was interred in his chosen spot beside the Temple where he had served for 11 years, next to Father Glicherie Popa who had been the parish priest at Saint Elijah for 22 years (from 1934 to 1956). Father Popa was the longest serving priest in the history of the parish.


Funeral of Father Nicolae Marioncu.jpg Funeral of Father Marioncu


Priest Joseph MacLellan

In 1992, the Priest Joseph MacLellan was assigned to serve this parish. For many years afterwards, he served this parish (along with others in the region) by commuting from Winnipeg on the week-ends. Meanwhile, in order to support his family and to support his pastoral service, he continued to work for the Greater Winnipeg Gas Company (where he was employed for 34 years). He lived and worked in Winnipeg, and he travelled weekly to fulfil his responsibilities until the time of his retirement in 2003.

On 28 July, 2010, the Priest Joseph MacLellan fell asleep in the Lord in Winnipeg. He had suffered from heart trouble for a long time. The Memorial Hierarchical Liturgy and Funeral Services followed on Tuesday, 3 August, at 9:30 a.m. at the Temple, with Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) leading the services. He was assisted by the Priests Mirone Klysh and Michael Lupu, Deacon Michael Ungrin and Protodeacon Raphael Cole, and other clergy.

Protopresbyter Mirone Klysh

Lennard was served in one or another capacity over many years by Father Mirone Klysh, who was born in New York State in 1932, and a graduate of Saint Andrew’s Ukrainian Orthodox Seminary in Winnipeg. He supervised the parish and sometimes served there from 1969 (although other clergy were present on many and various occasions) until his retirement. Under his guidance, the parish knew continued success. Because of its location, and its relatively large-sized facilities, it is the centre of Orthodox Christian liturgical life in the region, and it serves non-Romanian families as well. Nevertheless, Romanians remain well represented. About 129 of them live in the area, and they continue a tradition of 70 years of active parish life. At present, the 36 members and 75 communicants look forward to the future.

Archpriest Orest Olekshy

For some years, the Archpriest Orest Olekshy served the parish (along with the other nearby parishes). He was living in retirement with his daughter and her husband in Melville, Saskatchewan, and he drove to the Lennard and Shell Valley area to care for this and other parishes until he fell asleep in the Lord. He loved his parishioners, and he was much loved by them.

On 28 March, 2017, the Archpriest Orest Olekshy suddenly fell asleep in Christ in Melville, Saskatchewan. He suffered a heart-attack at home, and he reposed soon after he had been taken to the hospital.

On Monday, 3 April, 2017, a panikhida was served at Saint Elijah’s Romanian Orthodox Parish at Lennard, Manitoba, followed by a funeral service on Tuesday, 4 April.

On Thursday, 6 April, a panikhida was served at Holy Resurrection Orthodox Sobor (2202, Lorne Avenue, Saskatoon), followed by a Memorial Divine Liturgy on Friday, 7 April. This was followed by the interment of the Archpriest Orest Olekshy beside his wife in the Woodlawn Cemetery in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. May their memory be eternal.

Archpriest Andrew Piasta

The next priest to serve the parish was the Archpriest Andrew Piasta, who began to serve the community from his home in Yorkton, Saskatchewan. He began to serve the community after the sudden repose of Father Orest Olekshy, and he saw the parishioners through their time of shock and grief. With his pastorate, fresh hope came to the parishioners. This fresh hope was no doubt nurtured by the regular presence at the services of the mother of Archpriest Andrew, Doris Piasta. In 2023, she was more than 100 years old, and still very active and effervescent in accordance with her character.

Father Andrew Piasta serves also in the Parish of Saint Andrew at Canora, Saskatchewan, which meets there in the Romanian Orthodox Temple of Saints Peter and Paul.

The original bell-house

The original bell-house of the parish of Saint Elijah, which had been constructed in early times, was moved after 1952 to the yard of the Blue Wing Romanian Orthodox Church in Blue Wing, Manitoba, 15 km (10 mi) away.


St Elijah Belfry 1.jpg Bell-house


The new structure which was being built provided a different arrangement for bells.

120th anniversary celebration, Archpastoral visitation, 2022

On the occasion of the 120th anniversary of the founding of the parish, on Friday, 3 June, 2022 (the day following the Feast of the Holy Ascension), Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) made an archpastoral visitation to the Parish of the Holy Prophet Elijah. He was accompanied by Bishop Andrei (Hoarste). Archpriest Andrew Piasta, the serving-priest in this parish, received the Archbishop and Bishop in advance of the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy that was served in the Temple on this day.

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) and Deacon Denis Letunovsky were also visiting and co-serving on this day, together with Archpriest Rodion Luciuk, all of the Archdiocese of Canada (The Orthodox Church in America). All 3 bishops had been together at Saints Peter and Paul Romanian Orthodox Church in Canora, Saskatchewan, on the previous afternoon, while they visited in the region at the same time. There, Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) had blessed the iconography and the extensive renovations which had been accomplished by the Parish of the Holy Apostle Andrew (of the Archdiocese of Canada). With the blessing of Archbishop Nathaniel, the Parish of Saint Andrew was sharing the Temple of Saints Peter and Paul in Canora, the Romanian parish.

In the parish of Saint Elijah, the 3 bishops and the clergy honoured the founders and benefactors of the parish, together with the many Faithful who had worshipped in this place and laboured for the love of Christ in building the 2 Temples and caring for the nurturing of the Orthodox Christian Faith over the years. Following the Liturgy, a Trisagion was served for the founders of the community, and the many graves (and original Temple) were blessed with the proclamation of Christ is Risen ! Hristos a înviat ! Христос воскрес !

It was of particular significance that there was a substantial attendance for this event. This revealed that despite the years of difficulty in the context of the Covid-19 Pandemic, the Faithful had remained and persevered, united in the love and service of Christ the Lord.


North view 2.png North view of the Temple, with prayer-table


3 hierarchs at Lennard 2022.jpg Archbishop Nathaniel, Archbishop Irénée, Bishop Andrei during the reading of the Apostle


Memorial Service at Lennard 2.png Memorial Service after the Divine Liturgy


Archbishop Irenee at Lennard 2.png Archbishop Irénée giving congratulations


Father Rodion Lennard 2022 1.png Father Rodion Luciuk giving congratulations


Saint Elias original Temple Lennard 2022 1.png Old Temple 2.png

Archbishop Nathaniel leading prayers in the First Temple

Saint Elijah Romanian Orthodox Cemetery, 1902

The Saint Elijah Romanian Orthodox Cemetery was established in 1902, when the parish was itself established.

The cemetery is situated adjacent to the new and the old Saint Elijah Temple near Inglis, Manitoba.


St Eijah Cemetery.jpg

Saint Elijah Cemetery and First Temple


20180624 Archbishop Nathaniel grave Fr PopaS.png Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) at the grave of Father Glicherie Popa in the Saint Elijah Cemetery

Particular parish information

From the beginning, the parish of Saint Elijah in Lennard has served as a sort of "Mother Church" for other Romanian Orthodox communities in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

The parish of Saint Elijah continues confidently, the new beside the old, an island of Orthodoxy amidst the vast reaches of Manitoba.

This parish is a part of the western deanery of the Vicariate of Canada of the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America. The dean is Archpriest Nicolae Lapuste. The bishop is Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp).

This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Holy Prophet Elijah (Elias, Elie), 20 July.

In 2023, the priest in charge of the parish is the Archpriest Nicolae Lapuste, The serving priest is Archpriest Andrew Piasta. Deacon Kenneth John Gaber is attached to the parish.


Address :

Saint Elias the Prophet Romanian Orthodox Church

SW 24-23-24W

Lennard District

Inglis

R.M. of Riding Mountain West

Manitoba

R0J 0X0


Also :

Saint Elijah Pioneer Museum

Inglis, Manitoba,

R0J 0X0



Directions :

From the north :

Take Highway #83 south from Roblin, Manitoba. Turn left at the Inglis turnoff. Turn north on Highway #478. Proceed and turn left at the sign to Saint Elie (Elijah) Church. The Temple is on the right.

From the south :

Proceed north on Highway #83 past Russell to the Inglis turnoff. Turn right, then left on Highway #478. Proceed and turn left at the sign to Saint Elie Church. The Temple is on the right.

From the east :

Take Highway #1 West from Winnipeg. Proceed east to Portage La Prairie and turn right on Highway #16 to Russell. Turn right on Highway #83. Proceed north to the Inglis turnoff. Turn right, then left to Highway #478. Proceed and turn left at the sign to Saint Elie Church. The Temple is on the right.

From the west :

At Regina, Saskatchewan, follow Highway #1 east. Turn north on Highway #10. Proceed to Melville. Turn right on Highway #15. When the highway ends, turn right on Highway #16 to Russell. Turn left on Highway #83. Proceed north to the Inglis turnoff. Turn right, then left to Highway #478. Proceed and turn left at the sign to Saint Elie Church. The Temple is on the right.


Archpriest Nicolae Lapuste

Dean, Canada West Deanery

Holy Trinity Church

New Westminster, British Columbia

Telephone : 604-982-0677

E-mail : prnicolae@gmail.com


Archpriest Andrew Piasta

72 Newfield Place

Yorkton, Saskatchewan

S3N 2M9

Telephone : 306-782-0113

E-mail : axios@sasktel.net


Deacon Kenneth John Gaber

Box 1688

Roblin, Manitoba

R0L 1P0

Telephone : 204-937-4393

E-mail : gaberkm@mts.net


Saint Elijah Church 2012.jpg

References

Bugea, Eleanor, “Romanians in Canada” (Michigan : Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, 2009), pp. 106-110. ISBN : 978-1-929200-14-6.

Goodes, John, “A brief History of Lennard and Shell Valley, Manitoba” (2009).

The Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, “Historical Anniversary Album 1929-1979” (Jackson, Michigan : The Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, 1979).

The Russian Mission in North America

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.


Additional information :

Bobango, Gerald J, “The Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America : The first half Century, 1929-1979” (Jackson, MI : Romanian-American Heritage Center, 1979). ASIN : B0000EBRQ6.

Klysh, Protopresbyter Mirone, “Orthodox Christians in Manitoba

Pacurariu, Mircea, ‘Romanian Christianity’ in “The Blackwell Companion to Eastern Christianity” (Oxford : John Wiley & Sons, 2007). ISBN 10 : 0631234233 ; ISBN 13 : 9780631234234.

Patterson, G J, ‘Romanians’, in “Encyclopedia of Canada's Peoples”, Magocsi, P R (ed.) (Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1999).

Ukrainian Churches of Canada Architectural Styles

OCA listing

The Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America (ROEA) web-site

Romanian Orthodox Vicariate of Canada

ROEA Western Deanery

Orthodoxwiki article about the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America (OCA)

The Orthodox Church in America web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America

Bishop Polycarp (Moruşca)

Archbishop Valerian (Trifa)

Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Bishop Andrei (Hoarste)

Archimandrite Martinian (Ivanovici)

Archimandrite Daniil (Maxim)

Saint Elijah Pioneer Museum web-site

Saint Elijah Pioneer Museum : Saint Elijah Pioneer Church

Saint Elijah Romanian Orthodox Cemetery

Findagrave reference to Saint Elijah Cemetery

Findagrave reference for Hieromonk Glicherie (Popa)

Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site No. 20 St. Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church

Visit of Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) to Saint Nicholas Romanian Orthodox Church in Regina and Saint Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church in Lennard MB June (also to Canora and MacNutt) 21-24 June, 2017 (115th anniversary)

Studii Româno Americane article about the Church of the Prophet Elijah, Lennard, Manitoba

Repose of Archpriest Orest Olekshy

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Romanian Canadians

Orthodoxwiki list of parishes in Manitoba

Romanian diaspora

General information about Romanians in Canada

Saint George’s Church, Winnipeg, details about Father Joseph MacLellan

NFB film about Providence Church Goods Company

Solia – The Herald”, official publication of the Romanian Episcopate of America

Video of the 2016 Altar Feast-day (Hram) of the parish with Archpriest Orest Olekshy

Visit of Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) to Saint Nicholas Romanian Orthodox Church in Regina and Saint Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church in Lennard MB (also to Canora and MacNutt) (115th anniversary) (21-24 June, 2017)

Video : History of the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America (2018)

"Archbishop Irénée Visits Yorkton and Canora, SK and Lennard, MB" (June, 2022)

“Solia” – “The Herald” Quarterly (Winter, 2022)

Archpastoral Letter of Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) for Nativity’. (December, 2022) in “Solia – The Herald”, pp. 3-5)