Edmonton AB †Saint John Ukrainian Orthodox Institute 1918-2020
Edmonton, Alberta, †Saint John's Ukrainian Orthodox Institute, 1918-2020
Edmonton, Alberta, †Chapel of Saint John Chrysostom, 1949-2020
— Edited from a compilation from an original history by Mrs. Samoil.
Foundation of the institute, 1918
The Saint John’s Institute (SJI) in Edmonton, Alberta, was organised in 1918 under the name “M Hrushewsky Ukrainian Institute” (named after a great Ukrainian historian, writer, and statesman, Mykhailo Hrushewsky (1886-1934)). It was an autonomous institution with its own character, and it was affiliated with the Ukrainian Self-Reliance League of Canada, also known as “S.U.S.”.
Description of the organisation
Saint John’s Institute had its own membership, volunteer Board of Directors, and strong educational and cultural objectives. The highest executive authority of the Institute was the annual general meeting of its membership. It was at this meeting that the Board of Directors and its various committees were elected. It owned a building located on 82nd Avenue in Edmonton, Alberta. It also owned some property for future expansion, and the summer camp, “Bar-V-nok”, at Pigeon Lake.
History of development
Saint John’s Institute was originally organised as a residence for students of Ukrainian descent attending the University of Alberta, or other schools of higher learning. Residing in the Institute, students had an opportunity to learn of their Orthodox Christian Faith, Ukrainian cultural heritage, Ukrainian language, history, literature, and other Ukrainian studies.
The Peter Mohyla Institute, organised in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, in 1916, was considered to be the parental organisation of this kind. However, in Alberta, the first such institution was the T Shevchenko Institute in Vegreville, organised by Peter Svarich. This small institution housed only 14 boys and 4 girls. Its first rector was William Kuriets (Corry).
T Shevchenko Bursa Vegreville, 1917
For the first 9 months, the M Hrushewsky Institute was housed in a rented building known as Hotel Caledonia, which had a capacity for 35 students. The first rector of the institute was a medical student, A T Kibzey. One of its first residents was Michael Luchkovich who was later the first Ukrainian to be elected as a Member of Parliament (1926). The Institute was officially opened on 1 October, 1918. Both Saint John’s Institute and the Peter Mohyla Institute were involved in the 1918 meetings which led to the establishment of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada.
The first site, 1919
On 10 June, 1919, the M Hrushewsky Institute and the Taras Shevchenko Institute in Vegreville amalgamated, and a larger building was purchased on 98th Street and 106 Avenue. An adjacent building was also purchased to serve as an auditorium. From then on, for many years, these 2 buildings became the centre of the Ukrainian national, cultural, and religious life in Edmonton.
After the purchase of the building, many financial problems arose. Many meetings and conferences were held to decide how to raise the necessary funds to pay off the debt and to plan for the future.
Despite the difficulties, the members of the institute felt great pride in the fact that over the years, so many Ukrainian students who had passed through the halls of the institute, were given an opportunity to finish their higher studies under the guidance of dedicated leaders, and henceforth become capable leaders themselves. This part of the history is well-described in the book, “25th Jubilee of the M Hrushewsky Ukrainian Institute”, by P J Lazarowich.
The new site, 1949
In 1949, the Board of Directors, under the Chairmanship of Dr. N Holubitsky, purchased a building near the campus of the University of Alberta which formerly was known as Robertson’s College. With the change of location, the institute was re-named as Saint John’s Institute after its chosen patron saint, Saint John Chrysostom, who was a great bishop and leader of the Orthodox Church in the 4th century.
The purchased building at the new south-side location was old, and it could only accommodate 30 students. In 1953-1954 the Board of Directors headed by Dr. N Holubitsky, P A Miskew, S Mysak, and the rector, the Archpriest W Senechen, took a very daring step by forming a far-sighted recommendation which was presented to the members of the institute at the annual general meeting, and which urged that a new institute building be erected.
New building construction authorised, 1955
In 1955, a contract was signed and money borrowed for the construction of the new Saint John’s Institute building. That year, Dr. S L Yaremchuk was elected as the chairman of the board, and it was mainly due to his capable leadership and constant perseverance that the building project was successfully completed. The members donated generously to the building fund. A very substantial sum of money had been received as a legacy from the estate of Mr. and Mrs. John Kinasewich in 1952.
New construction completed, 1958
The first wing of the building was constructed alongside of the old building. The corner-stone was blessed on 8 June, 1958, by Metropolitan Ilarion (Ohienko), the head of the "Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada". It was then officially opened on 20 September, 1958. The old building was then demolished, and a new wing was built on that site. The new wing was officially opened on the 18 September, 1960, with Bishop Andrew (Metiuk) officiating.
Since that time, this new building housed up to 80 students annually. It was hoped that in future, Saint John’s Institute would continue to prosper and maintain its cultural activities and Ukrainian studies.
With the passage of time and with the greater involvement of the University of Alberta in the institute itself, some changes in the general life of the institute became necessary.
Camp Bar-V-nok, 1952
Since the early 1950s, Camp Bar-V-nok was a key fixture in the fabric of the Ukrainian Orthodox Community in the Edmonton and surrounding areas. Many generations of campers came and went with enriched experiences related to this camp on the shores of Pigeon Lake near Wetaskiwin and Leduc.
Bar-V-nok provided for an escape and departure from the business of the world, and it gave its visitors an opportunity to connect with their Faith, cultural roots and the beauties of nature (which are all too often forgotten).
Besides the offered programmes, Camp Bar-V-nok was open to various rental groups throughout the year.
"OSVITA", (1979)
“OSVITA” is the name of a Ukrainian cultural immersion summer programme for high school students, which was located on Whyte (82nd) Avenue in Edmonton, and which was operated by Saint John’s Institute (SJI). During "OSVITA", students resided at the institute, and they experienced a complete immersion in Ukrainian culture.
After 1979, "OSVITA" was a destination for youth wanting to learn the Ukrainian language, and to learn about Ukrainian culture in a stimulating and interactive environment. From its inception, "OSVITA" offered quality cultural programming and excursions. Later, more adventure was included in the offering. "OSVITA" was perhaps the most unique Ukrainian cultural summer experience in Canada.
Saint John’s Catering Service
"Saint John's Catering Service" came into begin because SJI had some talented chefs working in the institute on a daily basis. They took pride in the food that they served to residents, guests, and to catered events situated elsewhere, off the property.
Closure, 2020
In the autumn of 2020, Saint John's Institute was closed and sold. It had ceased to be used by any Ukrainian students, although it had been constantly inhabited by University of Alberta students. The Cross was taken down, and the Chapel of Saint John Chrysostom was closed and emptied.
Institute particular details
Saint John’s Institute was an entity of the Edmonton District of the Western Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. Through the Ukrainian Self-reliance League, this institute was affiliated with the Peter Mohyla Institute in Saskatoon, Saint Andrew's College in Winnipeg, and Saint Vladimir's Institute in Toronto.
Services in the chapel were occasional and as announced.
Saint John Chrysostom Chapel followed the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of the chapel was the Feast of Saint John Chrysostom, 13/26 November.
The chapel was served by clergy of the Western Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.
The site address was :
Saint John’s Institute
11024-82 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 0T2
After the closure, the institute maintained a web-site.
After the closure, the institute provided a mailing address and other contact information for anything regarding the institute.
Mailing Address :
St. John's Institute
c/o St. John's Cultural Centre
10611-110 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
T5H 2Z5
Telephone : 780-439-2320
E-mail : info@stjohnsinstitute.com
References
Additional information :
“Collection of Material Relating to the 50th Anniversary of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918-1968” (Winnipeg : Consistory of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1968).
Sametz, William, “My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056.
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site
Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies
History of the Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies
Metropolitan Ilarion I (Ohienko)
Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)
Archbishop Boris (Yakovkevych)
Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk)
Saint Peter Mohyla Institute, Saskatoon
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Wikipedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
University of Alberta Archives : "Ukrainian Immigration to Canada"
“Historical Overview” about immigration of Ukrainians to Alberta
Library and Archives of Canada article about the Ukrainians in Alberta

