Gonor MB Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1904

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Gonor MB 1 2.png

Gonor, Manitoba, Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery, 1904


Prehistory

When Ukrainian settlers emigrated to Canada, the majority of them travelled by railway to Western Canada. Winnipeg, Manitoba, was the main site of their arrival there, whence very many continued on to settle in a multitude of places on the Canadian prairies. There were also, however, various sites in southern and west-central Manitoba where these newcomers settled.

One of the terminal destinations for settlement was north of Winnipeg in East Selkirk, beside the Red River. From East Selkirk, the newly-arrived travelled and walked southwards for about 15 km (9 mi) in order to settle along the bank of the Red River in the Gonor district.

This particular group of settlers had emigrated primarily from the region in Eastern Europe known as Bukovina (Bucovina). This was a mostly Romanian-speaking and mostly Orthodox Christian region of the Province of Moldavia in Romania, which at that time was a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Its northern border was in part marked by the course of the Dniester River.

Founding the parish, construction of the Temple, 1904

Faith, hope and physical strength were the main assets of many of the new Canadians, and the practice of their Orthodox Christian Faith and worship of the Lord (both at home and in the Temple) were for them the first priority. They would not bear the lack of a place to gather in worship, a Temple in which they could open up their hearts (personally and corporately) to God. Very soon, they organised themselves, and they made plans for the construction of their Temple in 1904.

As the archives of the parish show, 2 parcels of land for the Temple and the cemetery were purchased from Nicholas Cowryluk and from Alexander Macodon for the price of $10.00.

The 12 founding members of the Saint Nicholas Parish were :

 Michael Arseny ; George Bazan ; John Bazan ; Mike Bazan ; Dmetro Chopek ; John Gowryluk ;  
 Nick Gowryluk ;  Dmetro Krawchuk ; Victor Lupul ; John Pawluk ; William Snatenchuk, and Kost.  

The Temple and the bell-house were made of logs, which were brought in from the area which is now known as Birds Hill Park.


Saint Nicholas Church Gonor (first Temple) 1.jpg Saint Nicholas Church Gonor bell-house 1.jpg The first Temple and the bell-house


Later, a “parsonage” was built next to the Temple as a residence for the priest. There, also, parish members gathered for the regular parish functions and meetings.

The bell of the parish, which bears the year 1907, was imported from Bukovina. According to the information that is available, the bell arrived at the railway station in East Selkirk. However, because of poor communication and transportation, the bell was left at the station for approximately 2 months before it was finally delivered by ox-cart to its intended destination.

The trees that stand along the perimeter of the churchyard were planted by Wasyl Zaversniuk ; Steve Pawluk ; Nick Pawluk ; Theodore Nahorney, and Eli Boyko.

Serving priests

The first priests to serve in the parish had been from the Russian Orthodox Mission. Commencing after the organisation of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada in 1919, this parish came to be served instead by Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Priests. On some occasions during its history, the parish had a resident priest. However, for many years of the history of this parish, it was served by priests of the Winnipeg District of the Central Eparchy.

Fire, 1944

In April 1944, both the original Temple and the priest’s residence as well were destroyed by an accidental grass fire. However, the original bell-house with its bell from Bukovina was saved.

Second Temple, 1945

Immediately after the fire, it was resolved to build a new Temple.

The construction began and was completed in 1945 under the leadership of master carpenter Anton Prychun, a resident of Tyndall, Manitoba. All the workers were under his supervision. With the exception of the head carpenter and painter, all the labour was provided free of charge by the parishioners. The total cost of the building (of an area of about 1,100 square feet) with labour and materials at that time was approximately $5,000.00. The cruciform shape of the building is part of the “Byzantine” style of architecture.

On 26 May, 1950, 3 parish members (Mr. Peter Sandelowich, Mr. Steve Pawluk, and Mr. George Chopek) made an agreement with Mr. John Pushka to paint and decorate the Temple in the following manner : the ceiling was painted with sky-blue oil paint, and spangled with white stars. In the dome, cherubim and angels were painted on and between clouds on a sky-blue background. The Altar (also called the Holy of Holies), was painted in a similar manner. The walls of the Temple were painted a cream colour, with a border stencilled in a Ukrainian motif throughout the building. The wainscoting was painted with an oil paint, and the final coat was made to appear as though they were panels of marble and granite.

The entire iconostas was painted and decorated in the Eastern style, and in true Ukrainian Greek Orthodox tradition.

Mr. Pushka made a donation of the picture of each of the 4 writers of the Holy Gospels : Saints Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. These were painted on canvas and affixed to their correct places on the walls.

Upon the completion of the construction, the congregation had the pleasure of having Archpriest Doctor Semen Shewchuk of Winnipeg perform the first service in the new building.


Stnicholasukorthgonor1 1a.jpg Stnicholasukorthgonor3 2.png

Second Temple : exterior, and interior

Parish hall, 1965

Prior to 1965, special parish dinners and parish meetings were held in the homes of the members of the parish. This situation was improved by the purchase of a building from West Selkirk. This building was moved to its permanent location in the churchyard.


Saint Nicholas Church Gonor parish hall 1.jpg Saint Nicholas parish hall, Gonor


In 1966, a well was drilled near the hall for use in the parish hall.

In 1973, the original imitation siding that was on the outside walls of the Temple was removed, and stucco was applied instead to the exterior walls.

In 1978, under the chairmanship of Rudy Zibroski, the floor and the bottom plates of the bell-house were renewed. In addition, a new metal fence made of steel harrow bars was installed in front of the property.

On 22 April, 1978, a clear title was obtained for the parish property on which the following names appear : Mr. Mike Arseny ; Mr. George Donlychuk ; Mr. Dmetro Krawchuk ; Mr. Joseph Polenski, and Mr. George Posteluk. All the construction projects had required a mortgage in order to achieve them.

Renovations to the interior of the parish hall were completed in 1982, at a cost of $5,000.00. These consisted in the removal of the front stage, the addition of a feature-wall, the moving of kitchen facilities from the basement to the main floor and the upgrading of all the electrical wiring.

Re-naming of the UGOCC, 1990

In 1990, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of the Parliament of Canada.

The UOCC entered into Eucharistic union with the Patriarchate of Constantinople, 1990

In 1990, the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg, Manitoba, decided to enter into Eucharistic Union with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople (Istanbul). This decision also changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.

Centennial of the UOCC, 2018

In 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada and also of Holy Trinity Cathedral were marked at an extraordinary sobor (assembly) at the cathedral in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

The purpose of the sobor was to celebrate 100 years of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The celebrations were attended by Ukrainian Orthodox faithful from across Canada and beyond.

The Sobor began on Thursday, 9 August, 2018, with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Chapel of Saint Petro Mohyla Institute, presided by Bishop Andriy (Peshko) of the Eastern Eparchy, with the responses sung by the Clergy led by Father Michael Lomaszkiewicz. This was followed by an All-Canada Clergy Conference.


CentennialConferenceSaskatoon 2.png Centennial Clergy Conference


All gathered for Vespers at the Mohyla Institute Chapel and this was followed by a wine and cheese reception as the delegates and guests registered for the Extraordinary National Council.

The celebrations continued for a year.

2020-2021 Coronavirus-19 virus restrictions on parishes

In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.

As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.

Election of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk), 2022

Election of a nominee by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

On 15-19 June, 2022, the 24th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox of Canada was convened "on-line". This conference-meeting was convened thus instead of convening physically (as customarily) in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There were 6 cathedrals in Canada where this meeting took place simultaneously through a computer-network : in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral) ; Vancouver, British Columbia (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Edmonton, Alberta (Saint John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral) ; in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Toronto, Ontario (Saints Vladimir and Olga Cathedral) ; in Montréal, Québec (Saint Sophie Cathedral).

There was a total of 205 delegates, which was near the average attendance for such sobors.

In the course of the work of the Sobor, there was the necessary election in order to nominate to the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople a candidate for election as Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, who would succeed the Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk).

There were 3 candidates who were considered : Archbishop Job (Getcha), Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk), and Bishop Andriy (Peshko). The final choice of the members of the sobor was Archbishop Job (Getcha). He had received more than the minimum required 51% of the votes, and there was no subsequent voting required.

The election by the Sobor (Assembly) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada then had to be confirmed by the Holy Synod of Bishops of Constantinople (as is described in the Consistory By-laws).

Upon having received the nomination (with accompanying documents) from the Sobor of the UOCC, the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) to become Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada.

The Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Archbishop Job (Getcha) to become Metropolitan of Pisidia, in west-central Türkiye (Turkey), north of Lycia, and east of Ephesus.

Confirmation of election in Constantinople/Istanbul, 2022

On 29 August, 2022, Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) was at the Phanar in Constantinople for the purpose of the first confirmation of the election in June, 2022. He co-served the Divine Liturgy with Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) in the Cathedral of Saint George at the Phanar.

Enthronement as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, 2022

On Saturday, 19 November, 2022, at 9:30 a.m., in Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Enthronement Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served. Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) presided at the Divine Liturgy. He was assisted by Bishop Andriy (Peshko), many priests, several deacons, subdeacons and Altar-servers. Present also were Metropolitan Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas), Exarch of Canada for the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk), Former Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.

Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) at the Phanar, Istanbul, 2023

On Sunday, 2 July, 2023, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) was present and praying during the Divine Liturgy at Saint George's Cathedral in the Patriarchate compound. He gave the blessing that Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) preside ("horostasia") over the Divine Liturgy. Metropolitan Job (Getcha) of Pisidia, Bishop Athenagoras (Ziliaskopoulos) of Nazianzos, and the Honourable Roman Nedilskyi, General Consul of Ukraine in Constantinople were also present and praying with the congregation of the Faithful.

Change of calendar for the UOCC, 2023

On 1 December, 2023, in accordance with the resolutions of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk) announced that, effective that day, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada moved to use the New (Revised Julian) Calendar. He allowed that for a brief period of time, a parish might remain on the Old (Julian) Calendar.

It seems that subsequently, John's Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta, was the first to adopt the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.

However, a previously-existing group of persons began to encourage resistance to the immediacy of this change. It was their understanding that the process would be determined ultimately and finally at the next general sobor of the UOCC. Therefore, on 16 December, 2023, Metropolitan Ilarion issued a formal letter concerning the situation, together with a letter of support sent to him by his predecessor (Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)). He called the resisters to repentance.

Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery, 1904

The Saint Nicholas Cemetery, established at about the same time as the parish (and on the same property), is an integral part of the churchyard. Although the cemetery was formally established in 1904, there was already an interment in this place in 1903.

The standing memorial markers include simple wooden Crosses, home-made concrete Crosses, and granite Crosses. The modern granite Crosses are an indication of the improved economic conditions of the parishioners.

According to the Findagrave Web-site, in August, 2024, there were 314 graves in the cemetery.

Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery is situated at 6594, Henderson Highway (Highway #204), about 1 km (about .6 mi) south of Highway #44, in the community of Gonor.


Stnicholasukorthgonor2 2.png Saint Nicholas Cemetery, Gonor

Particular parish information

This parish is part of the Winnipeg District of the Diocese of Winnipeg and the Central Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The bishop of the eparchy is Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk).

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of the parish is the Feast-day of Saint Nicholas of Myra.

In 2024, the pastor of the parish was Protopresbyter Dr. Oleg A Krawchenko, who was aided by other clergy.


Address :

Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Orthodox Church

6594, Henderson Highway

Gonor, Manitoba

R1C 0E1


Directions from Winnipeg :

From Portage Avenue and Main Street in Winnipeg, Manitoba, drive north on Main Street until the Manitoba Museum (on the right). Keep to the right.

Follow the signs for Highway #42 and veer to the right after Pacific Avenue. Follow Highway #42 (Disraeli Freeway) across the Red River, and follow the highway as it becomes Henderson Highway.

Continue driving northwards through East Kildonan, past the Chief Peguis Trail, past the Perimeter Highway. The highway number changes to #204.

Drive past Hoddinott Road, past Narol, and through most of Gonor.

The Temple is on the left after Sunset Cove.

The distance is about 26 km (16 mi).


Protopresbyter Dr. Oleg A Krawchenko (Pastor)

Home telephone : (204) 269-9068

Work telephone : (204) 474-8931

Home e-mail: oakraw@mts.net

References

A Brief History of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

Martynowych, Orest T, “Ukrainians in Canada : The Formative Period, 1891-1924” (Edmonton : Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, University of Alberta, 1991. ISBN 10 : 0920862764. ISBN 13 : 978-0920862766.

Russian Mission in North America

Red River North Heritage history

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.

Yuzyk, Paul, “The Ukrainians in Manitoba”, Historical and Scientific Society of Manitoba (Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1953. ISBN : 9780802070753.

……, “The First Ukrainians in Manitoba” (Manitoba Historical Society Archives)


Additional information :

Basil Rotoff, with Roman Yereniuk, Stella Hryniuk, "Monuments to Faith : Ukrainian Churches in Manitoba" (Winnipeg : © Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, 1990).

Klysh, Protopresbyter Mirone, “Orthodox Christians in Manitoba

Zuk, Michael, “The Ukrainian Protestant Missions in Canada” (Montreal : Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, Faculty of Divinity, McGill University, 1957).

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Saint Nicholas, Gonor, Manitoba web-site

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site

Central Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

Orthodoxwiki article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople web-site

Wikipedia article about the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

Orthodoxwiki article about the Patriarchate of Constantinople

Patriarch Saint Tikhon (Belavin) (as archbishop)

Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky) (as archbishop)

Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov) (as archimandrite)

Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Metropolitan Germanos (Shehadeh)

Metropolitan John (Theodorovych)

Metropolitan Ilarion (Ohienko)

Metropolitan Michael (Khoroshy)

Metropolitan Wasyly (Fedak)

Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)

Metropolitan Job (Getcha)

Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk)

Bishop Andriy (Peshko)

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Canadians

Internet Encyclopaedia of Ukraine article about Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba : Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery (Gonor, RM of St Clements)

Findagrave listing of the Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery of Saint Nicholas, Gonor, Manitoba

Findagrave listing of names in the cemetery

Waymarking.com listing for Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Gonor, Manitoba

First Wave of Ukrainian Immigration to Canada, 1891-1914

European Immigration to Saint Clements 1880-1920

Gonor and Narol : Communities with European Flair

Maphill.com entry regarding Gonor

Enthronement of Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (19 November, 2022)

Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) announces Change of Calendar (1 December, 2023)