Halifax NS Saint Antonios Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church 1980
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Saint Antonios Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church, 1980
Prehistory and background
Lebanese and Syrian emigration to Canada from the Levant region (now Lebanon and Syria) began well before 1900, but those who remained in Canada (most continued on to the USA) settled in the area of Montréal, Québec. Those who settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, were few, and they would attend Saint George’s Greek Orthodox Church. It seems that those who emigrated to Canada from other countries in the Middle-East did not settle on the east coast, but rather they settled in Montréal and in Toronto, Ontario. This was largely because of better employment and business opportunities.
Once again, during the 1970s, numerous Orthodox Christians fled the sectarian and geopolitical tensions in the Levant (the eastern Mediterranean region), emigrated to Canada, and settled in Nova Scotia. Sadly, a generation later, the "fundamentalism" that developed in Syria, Iraq, Turkey, and Egypt again forced minority groups (e.g., the Copts of Egypt, the Christians of the Holy Land and Lebanon) to leave the region of the Middle-East.
Forming the community
The first wave of Orthodox immigrants to Canada from the Levant attended Saint George’s Greek Orthodox Church in Halifax. However, there was a significant difficulty about language, since in this parish the language used was Greek. The newcomers spoke primarily Arabic, French, and English.
Soon, it began to be hoped that another distinct parish could be developed, in which the priest would be able to use the Arabic language during the regular Divine Liturgy and other services, such as weddings, funerals, and baptisms, and other needs. Inquiries began to be made, and requests for possible help were extended by those who took the initiative together.
Establishing the community, 1980
During the first half of 1980, the community was visited by members of the Antiochian Orthodox Church (e.g., Archbishop Elia (Saliba) (✝2017), and Ernest Saykaly. In a letter of 20 May, 1980, positive news was received from Metropolitan Philip (Saliba) (✝2014) at the head office of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America in Englewood, New Jersey. He indicated that he had given the blessing that the community be a mission under the patronage of Saint Anthony the Great. The chosen name of the parish was in honour of the patron saint of Antonious Nahas, father of Bassam Nahas.
The founding Mission Council consisted of the following persons :
The Priest George Esber ; Bassam Nahas ; Moufeed Khoury ; Latify Boudreau ; Toufic Tannous ; George Abouhaidar ; Michael Al-Khouri ; Sassyne Amyoony ; Bechare Habib ; Issam Ayoub ; Ramez Haddad ; Michael Karma ; Dr. Joseph Lawen.
Later in that year, Archbishop Elia (Saliba) visited Halifax, Nova Scotia, in order to evaluate the community’s desire to establish an Antiochian Orthodox parish in Halifax, and the viability of the proposal.
Purchasing the First Temple, 1980
As a result of that visit, the community decided to proceed, and to purchase a pre-existing building. It is perhaps surprising that a church-building was purchased without the leadership of a priest, however, that act conveyed the community's determination. That determination stemmed in part from immigrants who sought solace in their Orthodox Christian Faith, and as well the Church’s links to their past, their traditions, and their culture (that is, their Orthodox Christian way of life).
The new parish community of Saint Antonios purchased the church building of the former Saint Matthias Anglican parish in 1980, and there the parish began steadily to grow. The development of the Orthodox parish showed similar patterns of challenge during its growth as did the previous Anglican one. However, in the Orthodox case, a substantial influx of new people from abroad was for a time a major factor in the increase.
History of the purchased building
The Saint Matthias Anglican parish had its beginning in approximately 1878, followed by the construction of the first church building in 1882, and it had a long and prestigious history. This building had survived the Halifax Explosion of 1917, and there were parishioners who had fought (and some died) in World War I and World War II.
Saint Matthias Anglican Church was originally a mission which had developed from both Saint Paul’s and Saint George’s Anglican Churches. Saint Paul’s is the well-known church located in Parade Square (downtown Halifax), and was amongst the first Anglican churches in Canada. It is also the oldest surviving Protestant church in Canada (1750) and it is the oldest building in Halifax. Saint George’s is the second Anglican parish in Halifax (1800/1827), and noted for its unique round architecture.
The original Anglican mission of Saint Matthias developed into a parish, and a building was constructed on Windsor Street in 1882. It was this building of Saint Matthias which was constructed under the episcopal leadership of the Anglican Bishop Hibbert Binney. (It was Bishop Binney who was likewise instrumental in renovating Saint John's Anglican Church in Lunenburg.) It was from this first building that the Anglican congregation had moved in 1914, when the new, second building across the street had been sufficiently completed. This land had previously been donated to the parish by Bishop Binney. In 1915, that building had been renovated to meet the needs of the Sunday school and other parish activities.
Second Saint Matthias, second Saint Antonios
The second church building had been constructed in 1914. This new building had been designed by a young man, James Harris (his uncle was associated with the Saint James Anglican Church in Mahone Bay). James was less than 30 years old when he designed this building. It survived the 1917 explosion, as did the first, although the windows were for a time boarded over. The parish hall was constructed next to the existing church building. However, in time, despite many blessed and productive years, the parish of Saint Matthias was merged with another parish in 1978 in order to establish a new one farther to the west. In the first decade of the 21st century, the structure of the venerable building was suffering, and it faced potential demolition. Those desiring to learn more about the history of the Saint Matthias Parish will find the following document pertinent : “Saint Matthias Parish History 1878-1978”.
First Temple, 1980
At its establishment in 1980, the parish of Antonios purchased the original building of Saint Mathias Anglican Church on Windsor Street.
They subsequently invited Archbishop Elia (Saliba) to return to Halifax and to bless the Temple.
Sayedna Elia with parishioners after the first service
At the first Sunday Divine Liturgy for the Saint Antonios parish, the nave was packed. In addition, Linda and Bassam Nahas had decided to mark the special occasion by getting married that day (7 September, 1980).
Saint Antonius 1980 First Temple
The Priest Elia Shalhoub, who was born in Lebanon, arrived several days later with his Khouria Odette. He had been assigned by Metropolitan Philip (Saliba) to nurture this new parish. He served the community for 11 years, until 1991, when he was transferred and assigned to the important task of helping build a new Temple (Saint George Antiochian) in Toronto, Ontario.
In this Temple (perhaps it could be called a “nest”), the parish grew steadily. The original Temple accommodated 150 parishioners, and it was not long before the space was rather small for the number of regular worshippers.
Father Elia, Khouriya Odette Shalhoub, et al
In 1991, the Priest Maximos and Khouriya Rita Saikali were assigned to shepherd the flock of Saint Antonios. They arrived with 2 young children (Milad and Maria), and they established their family in the midst of this parish in Halifax. They later had 3 more children (Anthony, Stephanie, and Elianna). Under his pastorship, the parish family continued steadily and quickly to grow.
Second Temple, 2012
By 2010, after 30 years, the community had grown to exceed 300 families. A decision had to be taken, since the parish had simply outgrown the existing structure. Therefore, the Parish of Saint Antonios decided to move into a new and larger building.
Saint Antonios, first Temple, before the move
Transformation of the new building to be the Second Temple
After considerable debate, by 2012, the parishioners of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian parish of Saint Antonios decided to purchase and renovate the existing Saint Matthias Anglican Church across the street. It was near to their other properties. Since it was in a convenient and familiar part of the city, it was both logical and appropriate to keep the existing building as a place of worship, and to renovate it. During the course of these renovations, the parish would use its small Temple to some extent. It had already begun to use the larger building on some occasions. The $6 million renovation began in earnest in May, 2013.
A by-product of that decision would be the preservation of Saint Matthias’ spiritual legacy in the city, and it would allow the building’s service to the people and to the city to span from the late 19th into the 21st century (more than 130 years). Because the parishioners of Saint Antonios were sensitive to the long history of this place of worship, and to the service of the Christians who had worshipped there, they determined also to maintain the memory of those former parishioners who had served and suffered during both world wars. In keeping with this history, and since Saint Matthias is a part of the spiritual history of both communities, it was deemed fitting that Saint Antonios and Saint Matthias both be the "patron saints" of the new Temple.
The greatest change that took place in the reconstruction was the move of the entrance to the Temple from Chebucto Road to Windsor Street. Now, when parishioners worship, they are facing the east, as is traditional for Orthodox Christians. That the entry moved to the west end made a significant reduction in traffic difficulties that had been developing on Chebucto Road. Many more cars now used this road as a matter of course, and there were many more people now driving in order to attend services in this Temple.
New and traditional orientation of the building
Raising the new domes into place at the west end, May, 2014
As a result of this reconstruction, the visible Christian testimony of this Temple at this corner perpetuates that of the building in its former shape and use for the coming 21st century. The reconstruction came to a sufficient conclusion to begin using the new Temple by the Feast of the Nativity of Christ in December, 2015.
There is a further element to the sensibility of the parishioners about what they were inheriting and for which they were taking responsibility. This is their decision to retain and use the stained-glass windows which had been long in use in Saint Matthias’ parish. These windows have both historical and sentimental value to many Haligonians. The names of the donors are usually indicated at the bottom. Certain panes were prepared by the prestigious Robert McCausland Limited of Toronto, which is one of the oldest surviving stained-glass studios in the Western Hemisphere. Of particular interest to the parishioners is the window of the Apostles Peter and Paul.
Interior renovations near completion
The new interior with iconostas and murals
There had been a house next to the first Temple, which the parish eventually bought. The house was then demolished and a parking-lot was organised. Once the new Temple was constructed, the move had been completed, and the fixtures of the old Temple had been removed, the old Temple was demolished, and it was replaced by a parking-lot which expanded the previous lot.
Iconostas
The new iconostas at Saint Antonios Church was constructed by monks and artists from the Hamatoura Monastery near Kousba in North Lebanon, with knowledge and inspiration drawn from persons at Mount Athos in Greece, Ohrid in Macedonia (known as the “Jerusalem of the Balkans” for its many well-preserved Byzantine era Temples), and elsewhere. The wood used was oak and walnut. This effort gave also needed support to the Hamatoura Monastery, and the ongoing Christian work and charity they undertake.
Mural iconography
The parish commissioned mural iconography for the Temple from the famed 10th century Byzantine Monastery of Panachrantou, which is within the Metropolis of Syros, and located on the Greek island of Andros in the Aegean Sea. Then nuns from this monastery came to Halifax to help Father Maximos Saikali to assemble and integrate the new iconography into the Temple.
"Platytera" and Ascension murals
"Prothesis", window and mural
Parish Council
The parish council represents the whole of the parish’s membership in the administration of its properties and its affairs. The council is formed by mature members of the community who are elected by the general membership. The parish priest also sits on the parish council. The members of the parish council are those who frequently partake in the sacraments, participate in social and fundraising projects, and can serve as an example to fellow parishioners.
The Saint Antonios parish community has been particularly blessed in that their presidents have brought significant and diverse expertise to bear in their leadership. It is likewise a joy that former Teen SOYO or Fellowship members have (years later) contributed by becoming a parish president.
The year 2015 marked a special year in this parish, since in that year the first female president of the parish council was elected. This was Mme. Affaf el-Jakl.
Presidents of the parish council include :
Bassam Nahas 1980-1982 Ghassan Haddad 1982-1985 Bassam Nahas 1985-1987 Rafat Nasrallah 1988-1993 Dr. Joseph Lawen 1999-1996 Abraham Salloum 1996-1997 Dr. Joseph Lawen 1997-1998 Mounir Haddad 1988-2000 Rafat Nasrallah 2000-2002 Elie Hage 2002-2003 Ghassan Haddad 2003-2004 Abraham Salloum 2004-2005 A Mansour 2005-2006 Dr. Joseph Lawen 2006-2008 Besim Halef 2008-2011 John Lawen 2011-2014 Affaf El-Jakl 2015-2016 Michael Haddad 2016-
Lebanese Cultural and Festival Centre
The community centre at 6141, Chebucto Road (just to the south of the Temple) has been a landmark and a known meeting-place of the Halifax region for generations. Constructed by the previous Anglican owners of the church and hall during the previous century, and particularly in the early 1950s, the aged facility was rescued from demolition by the Antiochian parish. However, the structure required major renovations, as did the Temple.
The new establishment (i.e., the Lebanese Culture and Festival Centre) includes a gymnasium and kitchen upstairs, and 10 classrooms downstairs which can be used by schools. Besides fulfilling the needs of the parish, the centre is available to the general public for rental, just as it has been for many decades.
Lebanese Cultural and Festival Centre (parish hall)
Parish Organisations
Antiochian Women
The Antiochian Women are considered to be the foundation of the parish. They are extremely active, and they are involved in numerous spiritual and fundraising activities which benefit the broader community.
Teen SOYO
SOYO is the acronym for the “Society of Orthodox Youth Organisations”. The Teen SOYO is amongst the most active organisations in the parish. The society is involved in all aspects of Church life, which includes spiritual, social, and charitable activities. They excel at having fun while serving Christ's Church.
Fellowship of Saint John the Divine
This fellowship consists of young adults who aim to follow the example of their patron Saint John the Divine, who was the youngest apostle and among the closest to Jesus. Members of the fellowship are involved in spiritual, social, and charitable activities.
Doors Open Committee
Doors Open Halifax is an event which aims to enhance the public’s knowledge of the local heritage through free access to buildings of historical, contemporary or architectural significance. This is done also to generate interest in the architectural environment of Halifax. In 2014, the Saint Antonios parish joined the effort and opened its doors during the weekend of 7 June. On that occasion, approximately 650 people visited the site, and there was a good turnout by former Anglican members of Saint Matthias, whose enthusiasm was contagious.
Lebanese Festival
Since 2001, the annual Halifax Lebanese Festival has been rated as one of the most successful and vibrant summer events in the city of Halifax. Held at the Olympic Community Centre on Hunter Street (1 block from the Temple), the festival (supported by many active volunteers) offers a famously delicious array of authentic Lebanese food, live entertainment, performances, and various activities for the whole family to enjoy. The Olympic Hall is owned by the parish community.
Altar Boys
The altar boys (acolytes) assist the priest by serving at the altar during the worship services, and particularly at the Sunday Divine Liturgy.
The parish’s Sunday school helps to convey the Orthodox Christian Faith to the young people in the parish. The teachers are volunteers, and there is no fee associated with attendance and participation.
Other parish events
Diocesan Parish Life Conference, 2018
From 28 June to 1 July, 2018, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the annual Parish Life Conference of the Diocese of Ottawa, Eastern Canada and Upstate New York was convened at Saint Antonios' Church.
The parish welcomed all who attended with warm Orthodox Christian and Halifax hospitality.
On 29 June, the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul, after the Divine Liturgy, there were several simultaneous meetings. Two guest speakers joined the SOYO & Antiochian Women. Dr. Emad Massoud spoke to the SOYO teens during their meeting about on addiction as it related to social medial and technology in today's world. Archimandrite Father Luc (Bonnell), the Abbot of the Hermitage of the Annunciation in New Germany spoke with the Antiochian Women.
In addition to these meetings, the clergy had a meeting with Bishop John (Abdalah), the Young Adult Ministry held their own meeting which Bishop John also attended. Bishop John was present in the stead of Bishop Alexander (Muffarij), who was ill at that time. The Order of Saint Ignatius gave a presentation during the Saturday night Dinner and Hafli.
The Diocesan Council Meeting also took place during the sessions of the conference. Each organisation provided a report about their activities to the council. Other reports were provided from Camp Transfiguration, Christian Education, Creative Arts Festival, Sacred Music, Fall Retreat, and from the organising committee for the 2019 conference.
In addition to the meetings, on 29 June, the participants were able to take in the sights of the Halifax Harbour aboard the Harbour Queen and were treated to fun, music, snacks and water views of our beautiful city. On 30 June, they were taken to one of Nova Scotia's scenic treasures, Peggy's Cove. Everyone received a picnic lunch as well as a tutorial about the famous site, the most visited and photographed site in Nova Scotia.
Conference participants at Peggy's Cove
Bishop John and co-serving clergy
Parish clergy
Archpriest Elia Shalhoub, 1980-1995
The first rector of the parish was the Priest Elia Shalhoub.
Father Elia was born in Douma, Lebanon, on 13 November, 1953, to Wadih and & Bahije Shalhoub. He attended the Annunciation School in Ashrafiyeh, Beirut ; Douma Public School ; Balamand Junior High School, and Our Lady of Balamand High School. He completed his second baccalaureate, with majors in Philosophy and Psychology. In 1976, he entered the Saint John of Damascus School of Theology at Balamand, and went to the University of Thessaloniki in Greece for 1 year to study the Modern Greek language. In 1977, entered Saint Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary in New York for the Master of Divinity programme in Orthodox Theology, and he graduated in May of 1980. On 7 January, 1980, he married Odette Rahbani in Lebanon, and on 20 January of the same year, he was ordained to the Holy Diaconate by Metropolitan George Khoder of the Mount Lebanon Archdiocese. On 13 April, 1980, he was ordained to the Holy Priesthood at the Saint George Church in Boston, Massachusetts, USA,by Metropolitan Philip (Saliba).
Immediately after his graduation, he was assigned as an interim pastor of Saint Mary’s Church in West Palm Beach, Florida, for several months. Then, on 1 September, 1980, he was assigned to his first parish, Saint Antonios, in Halifax, which he served faithfully for 11 years. While he was in Halifax, he established the mission of Saints Peter and Paul in Prince Edward Island, and served them also. In July, 1988, Metropolitan Philip (Saliba) elevated him to the dignity of archpriest during the CAN-AM Parish Life Conference in Halifax, which this parish hosted for the first time. In 1991, he was transferred to the parish of Saint George in Toronto, Ontario, where he served for 4 years. During this time, he led the completion of the building project of the Temple, and he initiated 3 missions : in Saint Mary's in Mississauga, Christ the Saviour in Kitchener-Waterloo, and Saint Ignatius in Saint Catharines.
In 1995, was assigned to Saint George's Cathedral in Coral Gables, Florida, where he helped to rebuild the new Cathedral, a landmark in Coral Gables. In July, 2004, he was transferred back to Saint Mary’s Church, West Palm Beach, Florida, where he served faithfully for 7 years. While he was in Miami and West Palm Beach, he helped to establish the Saint Paul Church in Naples, the Saint Anthony Church in Melbourne, and the Saint Peter Mission in Fort Myers. On 1 January, 2012, he was assigned to be the pastor of the Saint Philip Church in Davie, Florida, and on 1 July, 2015, he was assigned to be the pastor of the Saint Anthony Church in Melbourne, Florida. On 7 May, 2016, the new Saint Anthony Church on Aurora Road, Melbourne, was sanctified, and Father Elia was elevated to the dignity of Great Economos. In all the parishes he served, in addition to his pastoral service, he functioned as a chaplain in various hospitals, especially in Toronto and in Halifax.
Archpriest Maximos Saikali, 1995
The second rector of the Saint Antonios parish has been the Archpriest Maximos Saikali. Father Maximos graduated from the well-known Balamand University-Monastery, where he encountered his classmate and future wife Rita Addoul. Balamand Monastery has existed in Northern Lebanon for nearly a millennium, since monks built the Balamand Abbey in 1157 AD. In concert with a life of prayer, the monks cultivated the soil, wrote and copied manuscripts, and hosted guests who sought refuge. Today, the Balamand is a distinguished seminary. Maximos Saikali was ordained to the Holy Priesthood by Metropolitan Constantine (Papastephanou).
From his arrival, Father Maximos continued to support the development of the Mission of Saints Peter and Paul, Charlottetown into a parish. He also actively supported the Holy Annunciation Hermitage at New Germany, and the Serbian Parish of Saint Basil of Ostrog. He has also developed a fraternal relationship with the Saint Mena Coptic Orthodox Church in Halifax.
Father Maximos has also played a role in mentoring the next generation of clergy. For instance, Mark Wyatt of Halifax sought guidance from Father Maximos, who received him into the Orthodox Church. Father Maximos encouraged Mark to consider pursuing his education overseas. Mark attended the Saint John of Damascus Institute of Theology, at Balamand Monastery. There, he also met and married his wife, Rola. In 2004, he was ordained to the Holy Diaconate and to the Holy Priesthood by Bishop Antoun (Khouri).
The Priest Mark-Arsenios Wyatt was then assigned to serve as Second Priest at the Saint Elias Cathedral in Ottawa, Ontario. In September, 2007, the Priest Mark-Arsenios Wyatt was assigned to be the Pastor of the Saint Nicholas Church in Montréal, Québec.
Archpriest Maximos Saikali and family
Metropolitan Ephraim (Kyriakos)
Metropolitan Ephraim (Kyriakos), the Metropolitan Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Tripoli, al-Koura and Dependencies of the Eastern Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East, has been a fervent supporter of the parish of Saint Antonios. He travelled from Lebanon to celebrate the new Temple’s official opening ceremony. He was born in Beirut, Lebanon (1943). His initial studies focused on telecommunications, and he later taught at Saint Joseph University. In 1972, Ephraim left his secular career and entered the Saint John of Damascus Institute of Theology at the University of Balamand. He was ordained to the Holy Diaconate in 1974, and then to the Holy Priesthood in 1978. The Priest Ephraim then entered the Monastery of Saint Paul on Mount Athos in 1983. When he was tonsured to be a monk, he received the name “Ephraim”, in honour of Saint Ephraim the Syrian. He then served as a monk in the Metropolis of Tripoli, North Lebanon. Hieromonk Ephraim (Kyriakos) was elevated to the dignity of archimandrite in 1991. He subsequently was the founder and abbot of the Holy Monastery of the Archangel Michael in Biq’aata, Lebanon. In fact, he had restored this monastery which had been previously abandoned. Hieromonk Ephraim (Kyriakos) was ordained to the Holy Episcopate in 2009, when he became a metropolitan archbishop. In the course of his formation, it is said that he was influenced not only by Elder Parthenios, but also by Archimandrite Panteleimon of Hamatoura Monastery at Kousba, Lebanon.
Archpriest Ronald Parsons (1927-2005)
As a very young man, Ronald Parsons fought in World War II overseas with the Canadian Army (1943-1945). He was in time married to Rosina Anne Mills, and they received from the Lord 7 children. After leaving the military, he served as a priest in the Anglican Church for 35 years. He lived and served in various locations in Alberta, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. During a portion of this time, he also worked as a field officer for the Canadian Secretary of State Department. In 1990, he was ordained to the Holy Priesthood of the Orthodox Christian Church, and he served as such until his repose in 2005. He was predeceased by his wife. He was a much-loved spiritual leader of the parish of Saint Antonio in Halifax. In addition, from 1994, he was assigned to enable the beginning of the Saints Peter and Paul parish in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (PEI). He was an active supporter of this mission, which became a parish. He was also an active supporter of worker rights, most notably as spokesperson in the early 1970s for the striking fishers in Canso. His commitment to social justice remained throughout his lifetime.
Father Maximos and Father Ronald
Those desiring to learn more about the history of the Saint Antonios Parish may find the following documents pertinent : the 1988 booklet celebrating the mortgage burning ; the 1984 consecration booklet.
The parish office at the northwest of the Temple
Bishop Alexander (Mufarrij) and Halifax clergy at Saint Antonios Temple, 2014
In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.
As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.
Particular parish information
This parish is a part of the Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of Ottawa, Eastern Canada and Upstate New York, of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, of the Antiochian Orthodox Church. The bishop is Bishop Alexander (Mufarrij).
This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Saint Anthony the Great, 17 January. The second major Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Holy Apostle Matthias, 9 August.
In 2022, the pastor of this parish is the Archpriest Maximos Saikali.
Address :
Saint Antonios Antiochian Orthodox Church
2480, Windsor Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia
B3K 5B9
Telephone : (902) 422-5056
Fax : (902) 423-0933
E-mail : info@saintantonios.ca
Web-site : http://saintantonios.ca/cal.html
Cultural Centre web-site : https://saintantonios.ca/culturalcentre.html
Directions :
By car :
From the north :
From Amherst in the north of Nova Scotia, drive southwards on Highway #102. Continue straight on towards the city when Highway #103 merges with this highway. It becomes Highway #102, Bayers Road. Turn right onto Connaught Avenue. At Chebucto Road, turn left. Drive on Chebucto Road, keeping to the right, until the junction with Windsor Street. The Temple is on the corner at the left.
From the south :
From Yarmouth in the southwest of Nova Scotia, drive northwards on Highway #103. Continue straight on at the junction with Highway #102. It becomes Highway #102, Bayers Road. Turn right onto Connaught Avenue. Drive on Chebucto Road, keeping to the right, until the junction with Windsor Street. The Temple is on the corner at the left.
From Dartmouth :
From Dartmouth (across the "Northwest Arm"), drive southwards across the Angus L MacDonald Bridge, and continue along North Street to Windsor Street. Turn left on Windsor Street and drive eastwards along Windsor Street until the junction with Chebucto Road. The Temple is on the right.
By bus :
Consult Halifax Transit. There are many bus routes which pass along both Windsor Street and Chebucto Road.
[It is often been the case in the Middle-East, an Islamic mosque is deliberately located near an Orthodox Christian Temple. Although in Halifax this did not come to be through a deliberate plan, it is nevertheless the case that Saint Antonios Orthodox Christian Church is situated one street away from the Ummah Masjid Mosque and Islamic School on Saint Matthias Street.]
Telephone : (902) 422-5056 (office)
References
Additional information :
Orthodoxwiki article about the Antiochian Orthodox Church
Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America
Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of Ottawa, Eastern Canada and Upstate New York
Metropolitan Joseph (Al-Zehlaoui)
Metropolitan Ephraim (Kyriakos)
Honourary Consulate of Lebanon in Halifax web-site
Video : "Cedars Strong and Free : Halifax's Lebanese Community" (video in which the Orthodox community is briefly mentioned)
Saints Peter and Paul, PEI parish web-site
Memorial article : ‘His Eminence Metropolitan ELIA (Saliba)’ in “The Word”, p. 31. (May, 2017)
Obituary Archpriest Ronald Parsons (October, 2005)
Parish article : "Moving to a new church"
CBC article with photos about Saint Antonios and Doors Open, 2015 [7 photos]
Another CBC article with photos about Saint Antonios and Doors Open, 2015
CBC article “Saint Matthias Anglican Church becomes Saint Antonios Orthodox Church”
History of Saint Matthias parish
Wikipedia article about Syrian Canadians
Wikipedia article about Lebanese Canadians
Canadian Encylopaedia article about Syrian and Lebanese immigration to Canada





