Hampton SK Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1903

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Hampton Holy Trinity Temple C1 S 1.jpg

Hampton, Saskatchewan, Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery, 1903


Bucovina may be spelt Bukovina, Bukovyna.

Hampton is sometimes spelt Hamton.

The nickname of Holy Trinity Church is "Palibroda".


Prehistory

The early settlers in the Hampton region southeast of Canora and northwest of Rhein, in east-central Saskatchewan, came to Canada primarily from the region of Bucovina in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They were amongst the very many who responded to the enticements by Dr. Josif Oleskow, and who were supported by the Canadian government. Before World War I, more than 100,000 people from Bucovina and Galicia had been established between southeastern Manitoba and northwestern Alberta, primarily in the vicinity of the transcontinental Grand Trunk (now Canadian National) Railway. In Saskatchewan, this settlement also included some of the south-central and southwestern regions, nearer to the transcontinental Canadian Pacific Railway line.

This group of immigrants arrived from the area of Kitsman near Chernivtsi (at that time mostly called Cernăuţi ["Chernaoots"] in Romanian) in the early part of the 20th century, and with great difficulty they began to establish themselves on the land. The first of the arrivals was Mihailo Kopeshka in 1896.

At the beginning, as was usual for the homesteaders, he had to construct and live in a sod-house (also called a “bordey”). After the initial work was completed, Mihailo had to find the way to haul logs for home construction from the Stenen area, because no trees in the Hampton area were large enough for the purpose. At first, he (as the others) began with a one-room log house in 1899, and then he expanded the home to several rooms in 1900.

Establishing the community, 1903

By 1903, the community had begun to organise themselves for the sake of praying together, although there was not yet a designated place available to do so. The initial families who began the organisation were :

the Kopeshka family ; the Kosmich family ; the Mikota family ; the Palibroda family ; the Philipchuk  family ; the Romaniuk family.  

In due course, George (Wasyl?) Palibroda (who may have come from Transylvania) donated 5 acres of his land for the purpose of establishing an Orthodox cemetery and building an Orthodox Christian Temple. This land is situated about .5 km (.3 mi) to the east of the townsite.

For the reason of this donation, the nickname of this Temple and cemetery has been “Palibroda”.

Land transfer, 1907

Despite the intentions, the donation of the land could not be actualised until 1907, because of the government’s settlement regulations regarding homesteads. Mr. Palibroda (as other homesteaders) had first to open and farm the required amount of the land for the required number of years, and to construct the required number of buildings. Then he had to be vouched for by an English person in the region. This is the main reason for such a delay. Finally, in 1907, Mr. Palibroda received the title to his property, and the transfer of the 5 acres to the parish was officially recognised and registered.


Hampton Palibroda title 20180423 131418 S.jpg Land Title


Hampton Palibroda transfer 2 20180423 132052 S.jpg Land Transfer


Construction of the Temple, 1909

The Temple itself was not constructed until 1909.

Because of the length of time between the arrival of the homesteaders and the construction of the permanent Temple, there is reason to believe that there existed from the early times a temporary chapel, likely made of sod. In the local region, it is known that in 1902, there were 5 Temples nearby under construction at the same time, and this community at Hampton was amongst that number. Despite the regulations regarding registry, the site for the future Temple would very likely have been determined at an early date, because of the need for a cemetery.

When the Temple of the Holy Trinity was constructed, once again, sufficient logs had to be hauled from the Stenen area. A stone foundation was required, and then the logs were chinked with mud, and the whole exterior was plastered with mud to make a stucco which was then painted with whitewash. The overall plan of the Temple was typical of others in the region, in that it was of a basilica shape (a rectangle with an apse at the eastern end). This Temple’s windows were different from the usual ones in the region. They were casement windows which opened at the side, instead of being raised vertically.

In later times, wooden shiplap siding was added.

Bell-house

A bell-house was also constructed in the same manner, and it contained 2 bells.

Services for the parish

Whenever there were services, at that time, a priest would usually come from Veregin or from Kamsack. The people of the Bucovina region were at that time almost all Orthodox Christians, and this is reflected in the architecture of the Temple that was constructed.

It is not known under what conditions it was the case, but in the early days, it seems that the Orthodox Christians shared this Temple with the Ukrainian Catholics in some way. This arrangement later came to an end. There were some homesteaders in the region who had come from Galicia, and who were also Ukrainian Catholics. Alternatively, if it were true that Mr. Palibroda had come to Canada from Transylvania, then this region has a significant number of Greek Catholics, and that could be a part of the explanation. For very many years, it was the Archpriest John Mandziuk who served this community, and many others nearby.

Association with the village-site

After some time, the Hampton Hall came to be identified with the Holy Trinity Temple, although it was not on the same property.

In the village itself, there came to be 5 stores, and 4 grain-elevators. That there were 4 such elevators suggested local prosperity. The village had a lumber yard, a post-office, 2 or 4 grocery stores, a dance-hall, a pool-hall, a Canadian National Railway (CNR) station, and a stockyard (for transporting cattle by railway).

Rural depopulation from the 1930s

However, with the increase in mechanisation and the aftermath of World War II, the population of the countryside was steadily declining, already from the 1930s. There was also the consolidation of farms into larger and larger operations. Slowly, the populations attending services in the rural Temples also began to decline. This trend has continued at a steadily increasing rate until the present, although there are signs of some possible changes.

Decline and closure, 1975

For the Holy Trinity Temple, the departure of people in the surrounding region reduced the number of people who were attending services in this Temple to such a degree that neither the services nor the maintenance of the Temple itself could be supported.

The last service to be offered in this Temple was on the Feast of Pentecost in 1975. It was served by Father John P Mandziuk.


ArchpriestJohnP Mandzuiuk edited 3.jpg Archpriest John P Mandziuk


At some time afterwards, the icons, the liturgical objects and the liturgical books were removed from the Temple, and they were entrusted to the Ukrainian Heritage Museum in Canora, about 26 km (16 mi) distant.

It is uncertain whether the records of the community were sent to the Badgerville Reserve or to Fort Pelly.

Removal of the Temple and bell-house, 2008

With time, the condition of the buildings had deteriorated to a dangerous condition, and some local youth were using them for a shelter for drinking-parties. Thus, the decision was taken that the structures must be razed.

In 2008, with the blessing of the bishop, suitable prayers were said, and a properly controlled fire was set. The Temple was helped to collapse in upon itself, and then the remaining ashes were properly buried.

Only the cemetery remains. Amongst other grave-Crosses, it contains the ones which Joseph Martsinkiw of Donwell had fashioned for Prokop and Anna Nikota, his wife’s parents. The cemetery continues to receive visits from people who are related to the ones interred there, and there is an annual prayer for the departed with the visit of the priest in charge.


Prokop Nikota grave-marker 2.png Grave-marker of Prokop Nikota


At this time, only the maintenance of the cemetery has continued through the cutting of the grass. However, there are occasionally incidents in which certain people wish to use the cemetery property as a place to dump things or to repair machinery.

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cemetery, 1903

The cemetery itself was early established at the present site, which is found at about 51 degrees, 26 ft., 07.6 in. North and 102 degrees, 18 ft., 45.7 in. West (GPS 51.435448, -102.312699).


Hampton Holy Trinity cemetery S.jpg The cemetery in winter


Hampton Holy Trinity a 2.png The cemetery in summer

Particular information

This cemetery is a part of the Deanery of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nunavut, of the Archdiocese of Canada, in The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is the Archpriest Gregory Scratch. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).

This parish followed the Old (Julian) Calendar, and the observances at the cemetery are on the same calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of the Temple, and now that of the cemetery, is the Feast of Pentecost (Descent of the Holy Spirit, Holy Trinity).

In 2022, the priest in charge of the cemetery is the Archpriest Rodion Luciuk.


Address :

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cemetery

51.435448, -102.312699 (GPS) in

Sliding Hills Rural Municipality, Saskatchewan


Directions :

Drive north from Yorkton about 23 km (about 14 mi) until Highway #650. Turn right, and drive eastwards for about 9.5 km (6 mi) (the remains of Hampton are on the left after about 8 km (5 mi). At the next crossroads, turn left, and drive about .5 km (.3 mi) northwards. The cemetery is on the right, on a slight rise in the land, at 51 degrees, 26 ft., 07.6 in. North and 102 degrees, 18 ft., 45.7 in. West (GPS 51.435448, -102.312699).

The mailing address is that of the priest.

For information, contact the priest.


Archpriest Rodion Luciuk

310 Circlebrooke Drive

Yorkton, Saskatchewan

S3N 2T1

Telephone : 306-782-2482

E-mail : fatherrod@sasktel.net


References

Archdiocese listing

Recollections of Michael Kozushka, John Bodnaryk, John Oystryk, Archpriest Andrew Piasta (with the assistance of the Archpriest Rodion Luciuk).

The Russian Mission in North America


Additional information :

Demchinsky, Bryan, and Demchinsky, Sterling, ‘Prairie Icons’ in “Canada’s History” (November, 2016)

Demchinsky, S, "Lost Folk Art in Ukrainian-Canadian Cemeteries"

OCA listing

Roadside Thoughts listing

Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada

Orthodox Church in America (OCA) web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America

Patriarch (Saint) Tikhon (Belavin)

Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)

Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)

Metropolitan Ireney (Bekish)

Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)

Archbishop Nikon (de Grève)

Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns)

Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Orthodoxwiki List of Parishes in Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan Ukrainian Historical Society : “Saskatchewan’s Ukrainian Legacy”

Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan : Ethnic Bloc Settlements

Findagrave reference to the Holy Trinity Orthodox Cemetery, Hampton, SK

Canadian Encyclopedia article about Ukrainian Canadians

Ukrainian diaspora