Kaleland AB Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery of Saints Peter And Paul 1917

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Sts Peter and Paul Kaleland AB S.jpg

Kaleland, Alberta, Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery of Saints Peter and Paul, 1917


— Edited from a text by Bohdan Hrynyshyn


Szypenitz may be spelt Shepenitz.


Prehistory

Origin in Holy Cross Romanian Orthodox parish, Szypenitz

The origin of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Saints Peter and Paul, Kaleland, Alberta, Canada, is situated in what was at that time (before World War I) called the Russo-Orthodox parish at Szypenitz, Alberta.

That community, founded in 1912, had itself grown out of the Romanian Orthodox parish of Saint Mary in Boian, Alberta. Like Saint Mary’s, it was situated northeast of Vegreville, Alberta, and it was a Romanian Orthodox community which was at that time served by the Russo-Orthodox mission of North America. Likewise, there were similar concerns that the clergy of this mission could speak some form or Ukrainian or Russian, but not Romanian. As a result, both communities eventually came to belong to the Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate.

In the Szypenitz community, there had nevertheless continued to be differences of opinion about the language to be used in services. In this case, since Romanian had become the main language used in services, there were Slavs who began to desire to worship in a language that they could understand. It is possible that during their time amongst the Romanians, they had perceived the advantages of using an understandable language in worship and prayer. Some, however, attribute these differences merely to some sort of political tensions at the time.

Place of origin of the pioneers

In the context of this particular situation, it may be useful to keep in mind that in this pioneer environment in east-central Alberta, the majority of the newcomers had emigrated from the region known as Bukovina (Bucovina, Bukovyna), a part of Romanian Moldavia, itself at that time under subjection to the Empire. This region of Bukovina was and is populated mainly by Romanians, but there is a significant presence of Slavs (now known as Ukrainians).

Founding of the community, 1917

It was on 16 February, 1917, that the Ukrainian-speakers galvanised themselves to establish a different and distinct community, and also another Temple, at a distance of about 5 km (3 mi) to the southwest. Nickolai Olynyk and Michael Grekul each donated 2 acres of land for the new Temple and the cemetery.

Construction of the Temple

The parishioners immediately set to work and constructed the new Temple. It need not be surprising that fieldstone was chosen as the primary construction material for this Temple. Since the second Temple of the Holy Cross Romanian parish at Szypenitz had burnt down shortly after it had been built, it was decided that the new building would not be subject to such risks. Further, fieldstones were plentiful. John Shandro and Herbert Lefe were the stonemasons who constructed the walls. Nick Hrehirchuk was responsible for installing the roof, and the well-known church builder, Harry Osiecki, constructed the 5 domes (cupolas).

Architectural characteristics

Very much in the style of the region of Bucovina, but most particularly that of the Lemko region, the Temple was established in the shape of a basilica, with a rounded or apsidal wall at the eastern end.

There are 3 domes of various sizes over the length of the structure. There are rounded windows on the east and west sides. In addition, there are 2 small domes on each side of the front wall of the structure. This feature is not from Bucovina. In the Lemko style, the 3 domes (cupolas) may be placed on a consistent roof-line, but the tallest is always over the narthex (that is, entrance area). The entrance itself is located on the west end of the building.

One enters the narthex through a small vestibule under the choir loft. The narthex leads into the nave (main area of the congregation), and to the east there is a solea (chancel, "bema") on a raised floor. Beyond this is the iconostas which encloses the Altar with the Holy Table. This Temple is one of the few buildings in the region which has no “storm-porch”, but the entry into the Temple is direct. However, the Temple is truly unique in the whole region, since it alone was constructed with field-stones.


CEM2466470 1413768370.jpg Western view of the Temple and its entrance


Official establishment of the community, 1917

The parish was officially registered with the Alberta Societies Act on 20 June, 1917.

Sanctification of the Temple, 1917

Then, the Priest Gregory Soroka, who had been sent in 1916 as a missionary priest to Alberta by Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky), of New York in the USA, was sent to this community to bless its beginning. Bishop Alexander was serving both as Bishop of Winnipeg (Manitoba), and Administrator in New York of the North American Diocese of the “Russian Mission”. Father Gregory presided over the first services in this Temple on 12 July, 1917.

These services included a dedication (sanctification, blessing) of the Temple, followed by the Divine Liturgy on the Feast of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul. The holy apostles were from that time the “patrons” of this Temple and of the parish community. The Great Sanctification of the Temple could not be made, since there was no bishop present on that occasion. At this time, this community was yet being served by the “Russian Mission” of North America.

Establishment of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918

However, during a series of meetings between July and December in 1918, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada (UGOCC) was officially established and incorporated. It began as an independent entity, which used the Ukrainian language for all its functions, and most notably during services of worship.

Upon this establishment, the parish of Saints Peter and Paul in Kaleland was able to be amongst the first parishes to join the new entity as a “Ukrainian congregation of the Eastern Orthodox Church”.

A bell-house was constructed, 1919

In 1919, a wooden bell-house with 3 bells was erected nearby the Temple.

Since that time, the parish has continued its life as many other parishes have done. This community, as all others, has felt the effects of the Great Depression and rural depopulation.

In 1965, a new iconostas was constructed by Mike Chrapko. Vadim Dobrolige from Edmonton painted the icons.


Kaleland Iconostas.jpg Iconostas


Part iconostas Kaleland AB S.jpg North portion of the iconostas


The remainder of the interior is adorned with hung icons.

Re-naming of the UGOCC, 1990

In 1990, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of the Parliament of Canada.

The UOCC entered into Eucharistic union with the Patriarchate of Constantinople, 1990

In 1990, the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg, Manitoba, decided to enter into Eucharistic Union with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople (Istanbul). This decision also changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.

Archpastoral visitation, 2012

In 2012, Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) of Edmonton and of the Western Eparchy made an archpastoral visitation. He served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy on the Altar Feast-day of the parish, and after the services were completed, those who attended gathered for a group photograph on the parish's 95th anniversary.


20180725 Kaleland Feastday 20120712-21428-.jpg 2012 visit of Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk)

2017 : 100 years

On 12 July, 2017, Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) of Edmonton and the Western Eparchy served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in this parish on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the parish. The Temple was full for this occasion.

After the Divine Liturgy, and the blessing of the Temple, those who attended adjourned to a hall for a festive dinner, the cutting of the centennial cake, various speeches, and entertainment.


Centennial 1 CS.jpg At the Divine Liturgy

Centennial 2 CS.jpg Candle-bearers

Centennial 7 CS.jpg Candle-bearers

Centennial 8 CS.jpg Candle-bearers

Centennial 5 CS.jpg Cake

Centennial 3 CS.jpg Some participants

Centennial of the UOCC, 2018

In 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada and also of Holy Trinity Cathedral were marked at an extraordinary sobor (assembly) at the cathedral in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

The purpose of the sobor was to celebrate 100 years of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The celebrations were attended by Ukrainian Orthodox faithful from across Canada and beyond.

The Sobor began on Thursday, 9 August, 2018, with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Chapel of Saint Petro Mohyla Institute, presided by Bishop Andriy (Peshko) of the Eastern Eparchy, with the responses sung by the Clergy led by Father Michael Lomaszkiewicz. This was followed by an All-Canada Clergy Conference.


CentennialConferenceSaskatoon 2.png Centennial Clergy Conference


All gathered for Vespers at the Mohyla Institute Chapel and this was followed by a wine and cheese reception as the delegates and guests registered for the Extraordinary National Council.

The celebrations continued for a year.

2020-2021 Coronavirus-19 virus restrictions on parishes

In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.

As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.

Election of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk), 2022

Election of a nominee by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

On 15-19 June, 2022, the 24th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox of Canada was convened "on-line". This conference-meeting was convened thus instead of convening physically (as customarily) in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There were 6 cathedrals in Canada where this meeting took place simultaneously through a computer-network : in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral) ; Vancouver, British Columbia (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Edmonton, Alberta (Saint John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral) ; in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Toronto, Ontario (Saints Vladimir and Olga Cathedral) ; in Montréal, Québec (Saint Sophie Cathedral).

There was a total of 205 delegates, which was near the average attendance for such sobors.

In the course of the work of the Sobor, there was the necessary election in order to nominate to the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople a candidate for election as Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, who would succeed the Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk).

There were 3 candidates who were considered : Archbishop Job (Getcha), Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk), and Bishop Andriy (Peshko). The final choice of the members of the sobor was Archbishop Job (Getcha). He had received more than the minimum required 51% of the votes, and there was no subsequent voting required.

The election by the Sobor (Assembly) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada then had to be confirmed by the Holy Synod of Bishops of Constantinople (as is described in the Consistory By-laws).

Upon having received the nomination (with accompanying documents) from the Sobor of the UOCC, the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) to become Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada.

The Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Archbishop Job (Getcha) to become Metropolitan of Pisidia, in west-central Türkiye (Turkey), north of Lycia, and east of Ephesus.

Confirmation of election in Constantinople/Istanbul, 2022

On 29 August, 2022, Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) was at the Phanar in Constantinople for the purpose of the first confirmation of the election in June, 2022. He co-served the Divine Liturgy with Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) in the Cathedral of Saint George at the Phanar.

Enthronement as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, 2022

On Saturday, 19 November, 2022, at 9:30 a.m., in Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Enthronement Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served. Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) presided at the Divine Liturgy. He was assisted by Bishop Andriy (Peshko), many priests, several deacons, subdeacons and Altar-servers. Present also were Metropolitan Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas), Exarch of Canada for the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk), Former Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.

Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) at the Phanar, Istanbul, 2023

On Sunday, 2 July, 2023, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) was present and praying during the Divine Liturgy at Saint George's Cathedral in the Patriarchate compound. He gave the blessing that Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) preside ("horostasia") over the Divine Liturgy. Metropolitan Job (Getcha) of Pisidia, Bishop Athenagoras (Ziliaskopoulos) of Nazianzos, and the Honourable Roman Nedilskyi, General Consul of Ukraine in Constantinople were also present and praying with the congregation of the Faithful.

Change of calendar for the UOCC, 2023

On 1 December, 2023, in accordance with the resolutions of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk) announced that, effective that day, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada moved to use the New (Revised Julian) Calendar. He allowed that for a brief period of time, a parish might remain on the Old (Julian) Calendar.

It seems that subsequently, John's Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta, was the first to adopt the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.

However, a previously-existing group of persons began to encourage resistance to the immediacy of this change. It was their understanding that the process would be determined ultimately and finally at the next general sobor of the UOCC. Therefore, on 16 December, 2023, Metropolitan Ilarion issued a formal letter concerning the situation, together with a letter of support sent to him by his predecessor (Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)). He called the resisters to repentance.


See also Szypenitz Saint Mary’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church, 1907

Saints Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery, 1917

StsPeterPaul Kaleland 127 CS.jpg Kaleland Cemetery


The Ukrainian Orthodox Saints Peter and Paul Cemetery (also called Kaleland Cemetery) is situated near the Temple, at Land Description Site W 16-55-13-W4.

In 2022, there were more than 160 recorded interments in this cemetery.


Kaleland Sts Peter and Paul.jpg The Temple from the southeast

Particular parish information

This parish is part of the Two Hills Region of the Western Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The bishop of the eparchy is Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk).

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, 29 June/12 July.

In 2024, the pastor of the parish is the Priest Wasyl Sapiha.


Address :

Saints Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kaleland

552041 Range Road #134 (W 16-55-13-W4)

Kaleland-Two Hills, Alberta

T0B 4K0


Directions :

This parish is situated about 140 km (87 mi) east of Edmonton, near Hairy Hill, Alberta.

From Edmonton, drive eastwards on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) until Mundare. At Mundare, turn left (north) on Highway #855. Drive north past Highway #29 until Highway #45. Turn right. Drive 6.5 km (4 mi) east of Hairy Hill on Highway #45, and turn south. Drive 2 km (1¼ mi) south (W 16-55-13-W4) on Range Road #134.


Mailing address :

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Saints Peter and Paul, Kaleland

Box 351

Kaleland-Two Hills, Alberta

T0B 4K0


Priest Wasyl Sapiha

Telephone : (780) 475-5765

E-mail : wostok@shaw.ca

Father Sapiha is responsible also for : Assumption (Dormition) of Saint Mary Parish (Two Hills District) ; Saint John Parish (Two Hills District) ; Holy Trinity Parish (Two Hills District) ; Saint Elias Parish (Two Hills District) ; Saints Peter and Paul Parish (Two Hills District) ; Holy Ascension Parish (Two Hills District) ; Holy Spirit Parish (Two Hills District) ; Holy Trinity Parish (Two Hills District).

References

Pryvit parish history

The Russian Mission in North America


Additional information :

Saints Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Congregation, “75th Anniversary Commemorative Publication” (Kaleland, AB : Sts Peter and Paul Parish, 1992).

Sametz, William, “My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056.

Yereniuk, Prof. Roman, "A Short Historical Outline of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (UOCC)"

UOCC parish listing

Orthodox World listing

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada

Western Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site

Findagrave reference to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Saints Peter and Paul, Kaleland

Wikipedia article about the Ecumenical Patriarchate

Patriarch Demetrios (Papadopoulos)

Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)

Metropolitan Germanos (Shehadeh)

Metropolitan John (Theodorovych)

Metropolitan Mstyslav (Skrypnyk)

Metropolitan Polikarp (Sikorski)

Metropolitan Ilarion (Ohienko)

Metropolitan Michael (Khoroshy)

Metropolitan Andrew (Metiuk)

Metropolitan Wasyly (Fedak)

Metropolitan John (Stinka)

Metropolitan Yuriy (Kalistchuk)

Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk)

Bishop Andriy (Peshko)

Priest Gregory Soroka

The Russian Mission in North America

Encyclopedia of Ukraine article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

A brief History of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

Historical Overview about the Immigration of Ukrainians to Alberta

Canadian Encyclopedia article about Ukrainian Canadians

Wikipedia article about Ukrainian Canadians

Alberta Government : Ukrainian Immigration to Canada

Alberta Immigration National Institute

Lemko architectural style

Orthodoxwiki list of parishes in Alberta