London ON Christ the Saviour Russian Orthodox Church 1950

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Christ the Saviour Temple London ROCOR 2.png

London, Ontario, Christ the Saviour Russian Orthodox Church, 1950


Prehistory

The first Orthodox Christian community that was organised in London, Ontario, Canada, was named “Holy Transfiguration”.

This, the city’s first Orthodox Christian Temple, was founded in 1916. That community was a part of the missionary Diocese of Canada, under the Russian Orthodox Church in the Russian Empire. This diocese, which received its first resident hierarch in 1916 (Bishop Alexander (Nemolovsky), was a part of the North American missionary administration of the Russian Orthodox Mission in North America headquartered in New York. This missionary “Diocese of the Aleutians”, a substantial venture by the Russian Orthodox Church, had its roots in 1794 in Alaska with Saint Herman and several other monks.

This first community in London was composed of both Russian- and Greek-speaking immigrants. Events following World War I and the Bolshevik Revolution brought the arrival both of refugees and of hotly contrasting political opinions. These early years were a difficult time for both the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America (ROGCCNA) and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR) as they struggled to establish their administrations. Sharp disagreements, more than the rise of ethnic congregations and the multiplying of jurisdictions, were the likely cause for the first Temple to close down. There are other possible causes. Nevertheless, this early seed would indirectly produce later fruit in 3 communities in London. These are this parish of Christ the Saviour, the Antiochian Orthodox parish of the Holy Transfiguration, and Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church.

Founding the parish, 1950

The parish of Christ the Saviour in London, Ontario, is the most direct descendant of the first community. In 1950, it was organised by a small group of Orthodox Christian young people within the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR). As with other communities during this period of time across the country, this community originated from the European immigration at the end of World War II, as people sought safety and peace in many different countries.

In taking the name "Christ the Saviour", it was determined that the Altar Feast-day of the parish would be that of the "Icon of the Saviour 'Not-made-by-hands'". Parishes so named keep one of the Feasts of the Lord, or of one of the Icons of the Lord.

The first place of worship was in the Chapel of Saint John, of Huron College. Services continued in this chapel for nearly a year until the parishioners were able to buy a house. As in the case of other new communities, this mission had only one book for the choir for the first 1 or 2 years, so all the services were offered in Tone 6 until other books could be acquired.

The first priest was a certain Father Nikolai. He served the parish for one year only, after which he was sent to Western Canada to develop a parish there. Afterwards, for a short time, the parish was served by priests who came from the Windsor parish, including the Priest Sergei Schukin. Then came the Archpriest Boris Vinogradov, who served in the parish for the rest of his life.

This house was the site of many joyful occasions. It served as a sort of "nest" in which the congregation was nurtured as a spiritual family.


FB IMG 1524999938829.jpg Group and other photos at the house


FB IMG 1524999944002.jpg


FB IMG 1524999948000.jpg


FB IMG 1524999929733.jpg Father Boris (seated) ; Father Sergiy Schukin (standing) and others

FB IMG 1524999967266.jpg


FB IMG 1524999934233.jpg


FB IMG 1524999912291.jpg

Fire, 1958

On 5 May, 1958, the house-church burned down, a catastrophe for the parishioners, yet they saw it as an opportunity and a sign of encouragement from the Lord. Furthermore, the metal hand-Cross used for blessings had not been melted by the heat. It remained undamaged along with a small paper icon which remained intact even though it still retains a small sign of black on one edge from the smoke.


FB IMG 1524999962214 SS.jpg Aftermath


FB IMG 1524999973660 SS.jpg Pain, sorrow, joy


FB IMG 1524999989572 SS.jpg Father Boris surveys the damage


FB IMG 1524999994082 SS.jpg Investigating ; searching


Encouraged, the parishioners took quick action. Banding together, they determined to construct a proper building in which they would be able to worship the Lord and to be a testimony of the Orthodox Christian Faith in London.

Construction of the Temple, 1959

Capitalising on their skills and volunteer labour, the members immediately started to build the existing Temple near Wellington Road South and Baseline Road East. The land itself had been donated in memory of a young man who had died in an automobile accident.

In 1959, the corner-stone was blessed, and it was laid in its place.


FB IMG 1524999922053.jpg Bishop Vitaly (Ustinov) blessing the corner-stone


FB IMG 1525000012178.jpg Placing the new main cupola top


FB IMG 1525000023193 1.jpg The completed Temple


In October, 1962, the new Temple was sanctified by the then Archbishop Vitali (Ustinov), who later became the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR), which has parishes throughout the world. From the beginning in 1950, the life of the parish continued peacefully within the jurisdiction of the ROCOR, in the Diocese of Montréal and Canada.


Christ the Saviour Church London On interior 2.png Interior of the Temple


In 1966, the Archpriest Boris Vinogradov fell asleep in the Lord. He was in his 80s at that time.


28180404 ChristtheSaviourLondon.jpg Visit of the "Kursk Root" Icon of the Theotokos

Archpriests Vladimir and Theodore stand together.

40th Anniversary of Church service of Archpriest Vladimir Morin, 2019

On 28-29 September, 2019, Archbishop Gabriel (Chemodakov) visited the parish of Christ the Saviour (named for the Icon-not-written-by-hands) in London, Ontario.

On this occasion, the Rector Father Vladimir Morin was awarded the privilege of wearing a mitre by Archbishop Gabriel, in accordance with the the decree of the Holy Synod of the ROCOR, in recognition of Father Vladimir’s 40 years of service in the Church in the Holy Priesthood.


Father Vladimir Morin (3).png Father Vladimir

Assignment of a Second Priest, 2022

On 22 May, 2022, Priest Mikhail Baleka was assigned to serve as Second Priest in the Parish of Christ the Saviour in London, Ontario.

Father Mikhail had been ordained to the Holy Priesthood on that day by Archbishop Gabriel (Chemodakov), and he had assisted in the interment of the newly-departd Metropolitan Hilarion (Kapral) at Jordanville, New York. He was then assigned to serve in London.

Mikhail Vasilievich Baleka had been baptised on 8 February, 2020, together with his wife Anna Miroslavovna after a long journey of seeking Christ. They had thus been received into the Orthodox Christian Church from the Ukrainian Catholic Church. They were then crowned in marriage 2 days later, on 10 February, by Father Vladimir Morin at Christ the Saviour Russian Orthodox Church. Mikhail Vasilievich then began distance studies with Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary in the autumn of 2020. On 10 October, 2021 Mikhail was tonsured to be a Reader and ordained to be a Subdeacon by Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) of the Archdiocese of Canada (OCA) on behalf of Archbishop Gabriel (Chemodakov) of Montréal and Canada.

On 21 May, 2022 Mikhail Baleka was ordained to the Holy Diaconate by Bishop Luke (Murianka), Abbot of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, New York. On 22 May, 2022, Deacon Mikhail Baleka was ordained to the Holy Priesthood by Archbishop Gabriel (Chemodakov).

Father Mikhail now serves as the second priest at Christ the Saviour (Image not made with hands) parish. Father Mikhail and his wife Matushka Anna love the parish and are eager to serve their community.


Priest Mikhail, Matushka Anna Baleka 2.png Father Mikhail, Matushka Anna Beleka


Archpastoral visitation, 2023

On Monday, 5 June, 2023, the Feast-day of the Holy Spirit, Archbishop Gabriel (Chemodakov) presided at the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in Christ the Saviour Church (of the Holy Icon “Not Made by Hands”). He was assisted by Mitred Archpriest Vladimir Morin, the rector, and by Priest Michael Baleka, the second priest of the parish.

During the Divine Liturgy, John Castillo, a native of Cuba, was ordained to the Holy Diaconate by Archbishop Gabriel. Deacon John Castill was assigned to serve in the Church of Christ the Saviour.

Charitable activity

The Parish of Christ the Saviour has a charitable fund in the name of Saints Cyril and Methodius. The fund adjusts its focus from year to year. For instance, one project is providing needed assistance to monasteries abroad. The following would receive special attention :

Holy Trinity Monastery and Seminary - Jordanville, New York

Holy Cross Hermitage - Virginia

Holy Ascension Monastery - Jerusalem

Gethsemane Monastery - Jerusalem

A Convent - Ukraine

Particular parish information

At the present time, the parish consists primarily of descendants of the founders who arrived after World War II. In addition, there are recent immigrants from the countries of the old Soviet Union, and some who have converted to the Orthodox Christian Faith.

It is a part of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, which joined with the Moscow Patriarchate in May of 2007 with the signing of the Act of Canonical Union by Patriarch Aleksy II and Metropolitan Laurus (Skurla).

The parish offers a coffee time after the Divine Liturgy on Sundays, and there are several large social events every year.

This parish is a part of the Archdiocese of Montréal and Canada of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR). The bishop is Archbishop Gabriel (Chemodakov).

The parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The feast-day of this Temple is that of the icon, "Image Not Made By Hands" on 16/29 August. The main parish celebration, however, is usually on the Sunday following the actual feast-day (most often Labour Day weekend).

In 2022, the pastor of the parish is the Archpriest Vladimir Morin. As of 2018, he had served this parish for 35 years. The second priest is Father Mikhail Baleka.


20180404 ChristtheSaviour London 1.jpg Aerial view 2 3.png

Visual aerial view (left) ; Satellite aerial view (right)



Address :

Christ the Saviour Russian Orthodox Church

140, Fairview Avenue

London, Ontario

N6C 4T8

Теlephone : 226-270-2307

Web-site : http://www.russianorthodoxchurchlondon.ca

Facebook


Directions :

London, Ontario, is located 193 km (120 mi) southwest of Toronto, via Highway #401 (or via Highway #403).


By VIA Rail :

London is accessible by VIA Rail between Windsor and Toronto (and beyond to Ottawa, Montréal, Québec, etc.).


By car :

Follow the exit from Highway #401 to the exit for Highbury Avenue North. Turn left on Commissioners Road East in London. Turn right on Adelaide Street South to Thompson Road. Turn left. Drive to Whetter Avenue. Turn right. Turn left at Fairview Avenue. The Temple is on the left.


The Temple is located in South London, not far from Wellington Road South, on the corner of Fairview and Whetter, at 140, Fairview Avenue.

From King Street in central London, drive south on Wellington Road South. Turn left on Whetter Avenue. Turn right on Fairview Avenue. The Temple is on the left.


By bus :

Consult the London Transit Commission. Route #1 runs by the Temple. Route #6 runs along Baseline Road : 5 minutes' walk to the Temple. Route #13 runs on Wellington Road : 5 minutes' walk to the Temple.


Archpriest Vladimir Morin

1671, Jalna Boulevard #411

London, Ontario

N6E 3S3

Telephones : 519-495-4231 (mobile) ; 519-204-3065 (home)

E-mail : ovm89@rogers.com


Priest Mikhail Baleka

Telephone : 519-719-9910

E-mail : fr.mikhail.baleka@gmail.com


Christ the Savour Russian Orthodox Church London ON1.jpg Christ the Savour Russian Orthodox Church London On.jpg

References

Diocese listing


Additional information :

Makovetsky, Archpriest A V, “History of the Russian Church Abroad” (Moscow : Publishing House Peter, 2009). ISBN 978549807-400-9. (in Russian)

Pospielovsky, Dimitry, “Russian Orthodox Church in the XX Century” (Moscow : Respublika Publishing House, 1995). ISBN : 5-250-02501-3. [available on-line in Russian and in English]

Seide, Gernot, "History of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia from its Beginnings to the Present : Part IV, Chapter 1.5 – The Dioceses in Canada" (rocorstudies.org)

Shchukin, Archpriest Sergei, “A brief History of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, 1922-1972”.

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., "Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America" (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.

ROCOR listing

Archdiocese of Montréal and Canada web-site

Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia web-site

Wikipedia article about the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia

Orthodoxwiki article about the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia

Metropolitan Anastasy (Gribanovsky)

Metropolitan Philaret (Voznesensky)

Metropolitan Laurus (Škurla)

Metropolitan Hilarion (Kapral)

Metropolitan Nicholas (Olhovsky)

Archbishop Vitaly (Ustinov)

Archbishop Gabriel (Chemodakov)

Cross-procession

Act of Canonical Union between the ROCOR and the Moscow Patriarchate

Video of the Act of Union

History of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia

Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville, New York

Wikipedia article about "Russian Canadians"

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about "Russian Canadians"

Wikipedia article about the "Russian Diaspora"

1794 Russian Orthodox Mission in Alaska

Russian Mission in North America

The Collapse of the Immigrant Church’ in “Orthodox Christians in North America” (Chapter 5)

List of Orthodox parishes in Ontario