North Bank-Lobstick AB Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1952
North Bank-Lobstick, Alberta, Church and Cemetery of the Holy Transfiguration, 1952
Prehistory
This community has 2 pre-histories, as it were. The site of the parish is in the former Lobstick Settlement in Smoky Lake County, Alberta.
The first church within the Lobstick Settlement was Anglican. It was named 'St. Columba of Iona and St. Kentigern, North Bank', and was created on November 21, 1908 by Bishop Cyprian of Calgary. Sts. Columba and Kentigern lived in the sixth century, and were responsible for bringing Christianity to western Scotland. Their choice as patron saints for this church probably reflects the origins of the parishioners, who, with names such as Howse, Sinclair, Anderson, Whitford and Favell, could trace their ancestry, through HBC servants, back to the British Isles – often to Scotland. The parish consisted of those portions of Township 58, Ranges 17 and 18, west of the 4th Meridian, lying north of the North Saskatchewan River. The Anglican Church had title to the northernmost 24 acres or so of River Lot 5, and just less than 15 acres at the north-east corner of River Lot 4. A church and manse, or priest's residence, were built. Over time, the original Métis landholders at North Bank were replaced by more recent arrivals. The bulk of the Anglican property passed to William Kulka, then owner of River Lots 4 and 5, in 1940. Only a two-acre plot was retained by the Church of England – probably because it was a cemetery. Grave markers of Métis settlers and other Anglicans dating as early as 1902 and as late as 1944 can still be seen. Names like Bodnar, Wakaruk, Kulka, Charuk, Sadoway and Feniak came to the fore in the Lobstick Settlement and area. With the change in demography came a change in denomination. A new church – the Russo Greek Orthodox Church of the Holy Transfiguration - was erected on the two-acre parcel on RL 4 in 1952. Father John Wasil oversaw the construction, and stayed on as parish priest for twenty years, until his death. That he was much loved is evidenced by the bronze plaque erected in his memory in the churchyard. In 1977, ownership of the plot on which the Holy Transfiguration church stands finally passed from the Church of England to the Russo Greek Orthodox Church of Canada Cemetery Company of Warspite, for a consideration of $1. By this time, rural populations had already been in decline for some time, and eventually the Holy Transfiguration parish was merged with five others in the area. The simple, gable-roofed building is identified as a church by the presence of an Orthodox Cross over the front door and on each end of the roof. A fieldstone-clad belltower stands to the west of the church, and the cemetery plot occupies much of the rest of the property. Although it is infrequently used, the site is well cared-for. (Alberta Culture/Heritage Community Foundation)
From 1899 to 1939, the original site of Holy Transfiguration Church belonged to the Church of England. There was a cemetery beside the Anglican church, and Orthodox families living in the district also used it, as well as Métis families and Anglican parishioners. Thus, it became in effect a community cemetery. With the passage of time, the community changed and most of the Anglican congregation moved away. The church building deteriorated, and the property was eventually sold to William Kulka. Because it was in a state of serious disrepair, the building was dismantled, although the windows and doors were saved. These were used in the Orthodox Temple that would be built later.
Orthodox families continued to gather at this site for services in order to remember the departed interred in the cemetery, and to pray for them. Since there was no church building, from 1949 to 1952, they held outdoor services and eventually organised themselves into a parish community. In addition, this parish was established by some parishioners of Holy Trinity Church in Smoky Lake, after some disagreements had arisen regarding allegiance to the pre-existing Archdiocese of Canada (in which that parish had been founded) and the more recent jurisdiction of the Canadian Parishes of Moscow Patriarchate. These differences were ultimately the result of the consequences of the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917 in Russia, and the subsequent jurisdictional chaos (which generally involved politics as well).
Founding the parish, 1952
The parish of the Holy Transfiguration was founded in 1952 by parishioners who wished to remain within the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America (called the “Metropolia” for short).
The church building was established on the edge of an old Métis cemetery which had long before been related to the Methodist missions of George McDougall. It is on the Victoria Trail, the trail from Edmonton, Alberta, to Fort Victoria, from which the Carlton Trail led to Fort Garry (now Winnipeg) in Manitoba. The parish is in the region of the Victoria Settlement of the 19th century.
In 1952, the Priest Ivan (John) Wasil and 2 members of this new Orthodox community, Harry Taranko and Nikola Hruschak registered the Holy Transfiguration Church Society with the Alberta Government, and they also made it an official charitable organisation. Mr Kulka donated additional land in order to accommodate a new Temple, and also an extension to the existing cemetery. The congregation numbered 31 at this time.
Nikola Hruschak and Harry Taranko then organised a campaign to raise funds from relatives and the neighbouring community. Financial donations, as well as timber and building supplies were obtained, and with the help of nearby neighbours, the construction of the Temple was completed. Next came the task of gathering the necessary worship items and the beautifying of the Temple's interior. Harry Hancheruk obtained and donated icons from the Holy Trinity Russo Orthodox Church at Stary Wostok. The parishioners from Holy Trinity Russo Orthodox Church in Smoky Lake generously donated a chandelier, a chalice, a censer, a Gospel Book and marriage crowns from their archival collection.
Archpriest John Wasel
Many of the interior icons in this Temple were prepared by the hand of the Archpriest John (Ivan) Wasel (†1974), who served the parish for 20 years. He charged the parish the nominal amount of $1.00 for the supplies for the work. The Archpriest John Wasel offered the first Divine Liturgy on the Feast of the Holy Transfiguration on 19 August, 1953.
This was an active, hard-working community of faithful Orthodox believers. Of course, they also enjoyed social gatherings. In order to raise funds to support the parish, they went to homes during the Christmas season and sang carols. They also held raffles, organised annual pyrohy (perogy) suppers with a dance at the Warspite Hall. The last of these occurred in 1992, until they again began to be offered in 2010. Nevertheless, despite the decreasing population in this rural area (as with most others), and the consequent decrease in the size of the congregation, the faithful people have continued to care for this Temple and to attend the services offered there.
Archpriest Wasyl Ostashek
The next priest after Father John who served for a long time was the Archpriest Wasyl Ostashek (†1998), who also served there for many years. Both priests served other rural parishes on a weekly rota. Karl and Anne Hruschak were hard-working and long-time members, as was the Subdeacon Wasyl Yaroslawsky (who was a strong contributor and supporter). They and many others cared for the buildings and kept the grounds in good order.
The Temple has lacked any utilities, so the minimal electricity needed has been generated by a local machine. An ATCO portable building situated near the Temple has been used for parish meetings and social space. Although this community has always been seriously faithful to the Lord, the parishioners have not been numerous. Despite the previous account of the Alberta Culture/Heritage Community Foundation, the parish was not merged with 5 other communities. Rather, there was established a type of federation of these communities in the 1990s. The serving priest travelled (and travels) from parish to parish on a weekly rota, and the parishioners of the federation travel with him. This federation is often referred to as a family of parishes.
For a period of time during the 1990s, the congregation had become very small. Nevertheless, with the help of its neighbouring parishes, the community has recovered considerably. The worship of the Lord in this Temple is still the focus the community. When the Hruschak family had a family reunion in 2010, in order to mark the first 100 years of the family's presence in Canada, this reunion was focussed on this Temple. There were donations offered which helped the parish in some ways, and in particular to build an arch over the entrance to the cemetery and to the Temple.
Archpastoral visitation of Bishop Irénée (Rochon), 2013
On 17 August, 2013, Bishop Irénée (Rochon) visited Holy Transfiguration Church at North Bank, where he celebrated the Divine Liturgy. The occasion was the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the parish. Concelebrating with Vladyka Irénée were the rector, Igumen Gerasim (Power), Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev and Deacon Jesse Isaac.
After the Divine Liturgy, the Lesser Blessing of Waters was served, and the Temple and the Faithful were blessed during a procession around the building. A reception and lunch were then held in honour of the 60th anniversary of the parish.
65 years : 2017
On Sunday, 19 August, 2017, on the Feast of the Transfiguration, the parish quietly and modestly celebrated the 65th anniversary of the parish's presence, testimony and service at North Bank near the Victoria Settlement. Archimandrite Gerasim (Power) served the Divine Liturgy, and Sylvia Chinery led the singing. She was supported by the Monk Tikhon (Green). Those who were present were given small mementos of the occasion.
Parishioners in 2016
Holy Transfiguration North Bank Cemetery
The cemetery is found near the Temple at the Lobstick Settlement in Lamont County.
The priests who have served in this parish include :
Archpriest Ivan Wasel Archpriest Michael Andruchow Archpriest Wasyl Ostashek Priest Andrew Morbey Priest Larry Reinheimer Archpriest Philip Speranza Priest Evan Lowig Archpriest Nicholas Kondratyev Priest Vasyl Kolega Archimandrite Gerasim (Power) Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev Archpriest Vitalie Manolie
Particular parish information
This parish is a part of the Deanery of Alberta & Northwest Territories, of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is the Archpriest Vincent Lehr. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).
This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ, 6/19 August.
In 2025, the parish is served by Archpriest Vitalie Manolie.
Address :
Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church
RL 04-58-18 W4 Lobstick Settlement
Smoky Lake County, Alberta
Directions :
North Bank (Northbank) is about 130 km (81 mi) northeast from Edmonton, Alberta.
From Edmonton, drive eastwards on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) to Highway #855 (signs for Mundare/Andrew). Turn left (north), and drive on Highway #855 to Andrew. At Andrew, turn left (west) onto Highway #45. Drive west to Highway #855. Turn right (north), and drive on Highway #855 until after having crossed the North Saskatchewan River. Continue to drive on Highway #855 to the signs for North Bank (north of the North Saskatchewan River). The Temple is located 9 km west (6 mi) and 1 km (.5 mi) south of Highway #855 on North Bank Road.
From Victoria Trail :
The Temple is accessible from the historic Victoria Trail by travelling 1 km (.5 mi) north on Range Road 184.
The Victoria Trail, part of the famous Fort Carlton Trail (also known as Fort Pitt Trail) from Winnipeg to Edmonton, follows the north bank of the North Saskatchewan River and is accessible from either Secondary Highway #831 or Secondary Highway #855.
Mailing address :
Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church
c/o Betty Prockiw
PO Box 691
Smoky Lake, Alberta
T0A 3C0
Edmonton, Alberta
E-mail addresses : frvincent@sthermans.ca ; priestvincent@gmail.com
640 Allard Blvd SW
Edmonton, Alberta
T6W 2G3
E-mail : vitalie.manoli@gmail.com
References
“Welcome to the 51st Anniversary of Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church at North Bank 1953-2004” (North Bank : Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church, 2004). 51st Anniversary folder, 24 August, 2004.
“Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church at North Bank Celebrates 57th Anniversary August 15, 2010” (North Bank : Holy Transfiguration Church, 2010). 57th Anniversary folder 15 August, 2010.
Additional information :
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Orthodox Church in America web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)
Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)
Findagrave web-site listing for Northbank Russo-Greek Orthodox Cemetery
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about the Orthodox Church
Wikipedia article “History of Alberta”
Canadian Heritage article about the History of Alberta
Prairiesouls article about “Northbank Cemetery”
Sixtieth Anniversary of Holy Transfiguration Church in North Bank, Alberta (17 August, 2013)
‘St Tikhon Orthodox Christian Mission, Lakeland AB’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), pp. 3-4.




