Ottawa ON †Holy Trinity Bukowinian Orthodox Sobor 1918-2003

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search

20170221 Holy Trinity Ottawa (defunct) sCBC 1.jpg

Ottawa, Ontario, †Holy Trinity Bukowinian Sobor, 1918-2003


Jankulitch may be spelt Iankulich.

Pokrowsky may be spelt Pokrowski, Pokrovsky.

Kirilov may be spelt Kirilow, Kirillov.

Bukowinian may be spelt Bukovinian.

Bukovina may be spelt Bukowina, Bucovina.


Prehistory, 1913

Holy Trinity Bukowinian Orthodox Cathedral was the first Orthodox Christian Temple and parish in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

In 1913, the parish community was initiated by a small group of immigrants from the Bukovina region in Moldavia of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

It was written that Mr. Ilarion Rozmiretza (arrived 1912) was the initial motivator who gathered the newcomers together. When he and his fiancée Minodora Antochi (of Kabina, Bucovina) were married in Ottawa in 1914, he and she urged them all to work together to build a Temple to the glory of God in which they could worship as was their custom.

Before there was yet a Temple in which to worship, Father Jankulitch (first name unknown at present) was sent to Ottawa by Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky) of New York. There, he cared for the Orthodox Christian Faithful in that city, saw to the organisation of the community, and began to serve the Divine Liturgy and other services for them. It was written that the conversations between Father Jankulitch and Mr. George Ganga brought about the establishment of the community.


Father Jankulitch 1916-1917 2.png Father Jankulitch, 1916-1917

Founding the parish, constructing the first Temple, 1918

Because of World War I, and the Bolshevik revolution which put an end to the Russian Empire, it was on the Feast of the Dormition of the Mother of God, 15/28 August, 1918, that it was possible that the first Orthodox Christian Temple in Ottawa, dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity, be sanctified.


Holy Trinity Church Ottawa 1918 2.png Holy Trinity Temple at 820, Gladstone Avenue, in 1918


The first permanent pastor of the parish, who led the construction of the Temple was Archpriest Paul Lisock. He had been assigned to serve the parish by Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky) of New York.


Archpriest Paul Lisok 2.png Archpriest Paul Lisock


This Temple, constructed in 1918, was located on the south side of Gladstone Avenue, between Booth and Rochester Streets.

Its domed belfry appears in this early 1960s photograph of the block (lower picture). It is seen also alongside the spire of Saint Anthony’s Roman Catholic church's spire (on Booth Street) in Ralph Burton’s oil sketch of Louisa Street (top), painted as the surrounding area was being demolished.


First Holy Trinity Church on Gladstone Avenue 2.png


 The founders of the parish in 1918 included :
 
 Mr. & Mrs. N Antochi ; Mr. & Mrs. K Antochi ; Mr. & Mrs. O Kyuk ; Mr. & Mrs. T Romanuk ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. I Rozmiretza ; Mr. & Mrs. C Tudan.
 The first parish council members in 1918 were :
 Archpriest Paul Lisok ; Mr. Ilarion Rozmiretza (president) ; Mr. O Odokijtchuk (treasurer) ; 
 Mr. D Tomka (secretary) ; Mr. Nikolai Antochi (member) ; Mr. M Monuk (member)

Holy Trinity Church Ottawa founders 2.png


List of the founders and parishioners of Holy Trinity Temple, Ottawa

 Mr. & Mrs. Andrusek ; Mr. & Mrs. K Antochi ; V Antochi ; W Antochi ; Mr. & Mrs. M Arbora ; Mr. S Arbora ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. F Arbot ; Mr. & Mrs. N Arbota ; Mr. & Mrs. T Arbota ; Mr. & Mrs. F Artichuk ; Mr. M Bajan ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. G Bobinsky ; Mr. & Mrs. D Buziak ; Mr. & Mrs. Burshulak ; Mr. & Mrs. D'Anjou ; Mrs. Victoria Daneluk ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. J Dashkiewitch ; Mr. & Mrs. N Dashkiewitch ; Mr. & Mrs. Dragomitza ; Mr. & Mrs. G Fivchuk ; 
 Mr. George Ganga ; Mr. & Mrs. G Gnatchuk ; Mr. & Mrs. O Gnidy ; Mr. & Mrs. A Gojan ; r. G Graben ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. D Hahon ; Mr. & Mrs. S Hnatchuk ; Mr. Hanushtchak ; Mr. & Mrs. G Herman ; Mr. & Mrs. A Hlewka ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. G Hlewka ; Mr. I Hrenchuk ; Mr. & Mrs. Homeniuk ; Mr. & Mrs. J Iwanoowitch ; Mr. & Mrs. Kmit ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. A Konicky ; Mr. & Mrs. G Korinetz ; Mr. & Mrs. I Kozelanka ; Mr. & Mrs. M Kosteniuk ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. Kotzek ; Mr. & Mrs. O Kyuk ; Mr. & Mrs. P Kyuk ; Mr. & Mrs. G Krawchuk ; Mr. & Mrs. G Krushicky ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. W Komisatchuk ; Mr. & Mrs. K Kozak ; Mr. & Mrs. I Kufta ; Mr. G Kukiy ; Mr. & Mrs. M Lepkon ; 
 Mr. G Lokatush ; Mr. & Mrs. M Losensky ; Mr. G Manger ; Mr. & Mrs. F Magrechuk ; Mr. & Mrs. G Magrechuk ; 
 Mr G Mankowsky ; Mr. & Mrs. A Marianchuk ; Mr. A Marianchuk ; Mr. & Mrs. V Marianchuk ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. W Marianchuk ; Mr. & Mrs. D Masenkewitch ; Mr. E Maisian ; Mr. O Melnihuk ; Mr. & Mrs. D Monuk ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. D Moskaluk ; Mr. & Mrs. G Moskaluk ; Mr. & Mrs. D Mucey ; Mr. & Mrs. G Muntean ; Mr. & Mrs. O Neidy ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. W Neidy ; Mr. & Mrs. Nikeoretz ; Mr. & Mrs. W Odalsky ; Mr. & Mrs. t Olar ; Mr. & Mrs.  Pantelemon ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. I Panutza ; Mr. C Penteluk ; Mr. G Perch ; Mr. M Perch ; Mr. N Perch Mr. & Mrs. I Popowecky ;  
 Mr. & Mrs. D Romaniuk ; Mr. & Mrs. I Rozmiretza ; Mr. & Mrs. D Sadichewsky ; Mr. & Mrs. A Sandula ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. Skakun ; Mr. & Mrs. Soika ; Mr. & Mrs. Sorokan ; Mr. & Mrs. D Soroftej ; Mr. & Mrs. Stankiewitch ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. Stefiuk ; Mr. & Mrs. Streletcky ; Mr. & Mrs. Showkenek ; Mr. & Mrs. D Tomka ; Mr. & Mrs. P Tkachuk ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. B Tchenkiwsky ; Mr. & Mrs. M Tchenkiwsky ; Mr. & Mrs. C Tudan ; Mr. & Mrs. E Tudan ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. J Ursulak ; Mr. & Mrs. D Verenka ; Mr. & Mrs. M Wagner ; Mr. & Mrs. N Wasleniuk ; Mr. E Wlad ; 
 Mr. & Mrs. Wursulak ; Mr. & Mrs. S Zaniachkowsky.    


Holy Trinity Temple Ottawa and parishioners 2.png Holy Trinity Temple and parishioners


The first Temple was established on Gladstone Avenue, and it remained a focus of Orthodox worship for almost 50 years on that site. It was not only the founders and their families of Ukrainian origin who would worship in this Temple. There were also Greeks, Lebanese, Romanians, Syrians, Serbs and others who would worship in this Temple (particularly before other distinct communities developed).

In these earlier days, some families lived close to the Temple. They would sometimes later talk about how well they and the Italian immigrants (who also lived in this western area of Ottawa) got along. Some other families were farmers to the south of the city. Those who lived nearer tended to be market-gardeners, and those who lived farther (some as far as Grenville County) tended to do mixed farming or grain farming. Amongst the farmers who lived near, it was not uncommon for them over the course of many years either to walk more than 5 km (2.5 mi) to worship, or perhaps to travel by horse-and-cart.

During the 1920s and 1930s, Holy Trinity Church was a place of worship for all Orthodox Christians in the Ottawa area. In the following decades, most of the various Orthodox ethnic groups organised their own parishes in the nation’s capital. Russian-speakers, however, continued to pray at the Bukowinian church since it had left the "Russian Mission of North America" and its successor the "Metropolia", and had become a member of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR) after 1922. Many of the founders had arrived earlier in the century, but difficulties in becoming established delayed the formation of the parish. Some were farmers nearby, and they had particular difficulty with travelling into the city. With the establishment of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada (UGOCC) in 1918, there was some pressure from time to time on Holy Trinity Church parishioners to join with the UGOCC.

Formation of the parish choir, 1918

From the very beginning, a choir was organised by the parishioners, and they devotedly sang during the services, and thus supported the other parishioners in worship.


Choir 1922 1.png Parish choir, 1922


Choir 1930 1.jpg Parish choir, 1930, Deacon Ivan Vesseley, director


The choir, as in most parishes, increased and decreased in numbers with the passage of time. However, the choir was always numerous, and the choristers sang from their heart. It seems that a large number of the women of the parish came to constitute most of membership of the choir, although they maintained a balance of voices.

Members of the choir 1937-1943 2.png Choir membership 1927-1943

Formation of the Sisterhood of the Annunciation, 1930

On 21 December, 1930, under the blessing of Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov), the Sisterhood of the Annunciation was formed in Holy Trinity parish.

The founding executive of the sisterhood was :

 Mrs. Minodora Rozmiritza (president) ; Mrs. Martha Antochi (vice-president) ; Mrs. Raifa Sadichevsky (secretary) ; 
 Mrs. Ottilia Tudan (treasurer) ; Mrs. Eugenia Tkachuk (deputy secretary) ; Mrs. Eugenia Antochi (deputy treasurer) ; 
 Solomonia Gordichuk (committee member) ; Irina Kyuk (committee member) ; Efrosinia Gnatchuk (committee member).  

Although this date marks the official formation of the Sisterhood of the Annunciation, the women of the parish had been informally active in the life and support of the parish family from the beginning. This step provided a better organisation for their activities in what was by then a rather larger parish family than it was a decade earlier.

In addition to providing food for various sorts of parish gatherings and assemblies, the women of the parish had been helping with visiting those who were ill, helping the poor and underprivileged, and meeting various other practical needs in the parish family life. This included the beautification and decoration of the Temple.

The formal establishment of the Church School was one of the early works of the sisterhood.

In 1931, Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov) made an archpastoral visit to the parish. Besides the festal procession of the Altar Feast-day, there was a service of blessing at the Holy Trinity Cemetery on Merivale Road.


Festal procession 1931 2.png

Festal procession with Archbishop Arseny (Chahovtsov) and Priest Nikolay Bohatyretz


1931 cemetery service 1.png

Cemetery service with Archbishop Arseny (Chahovtsov) and Priest Nikolay Bohatyretz


Priest Nikolay Bohatyretz, 1931 1.png Priest Nikolay Bohatyretz


As was the case throughout Canada, the 1930s were years of economic difficulty. These were followed by the painful years 1930-1945 and World War II. As with other parishes, some young men went into the military service. Throughout all these stresses, the parish Faithful maintained their life of regular worship and Christian fellowship.


Archpriest Alexei Showhaniuk, 1933 1.png Archpriest Alexei Showhaniuk, 1933


Archpriest A Showhaniuk and sisterhood, 1933 1.png Archpriest Alexei Showhaniuk and the sisterhood, 1933


Great Holy Friday 1934 1.png Father Alexei Showhaniuk and parishioners, Great Holy Friday, 1934


At a baptism, 1941 1.png 1941 baptism with parents and sponsors


After the end of the war, with the return of soldiers, there also began a new immigration from Europe. Many people who had been displaced several times during the war from Ukraine, Russia, Romania, and the Baltic States came to Canada during the next 5-8 years, and some who arrived in Ottawa became participants in Holy Trinity parish.


Holy Trinity Temple Ottawa 2.png Holy Trinity Temple before the move

City planners require a move

During the 1960s, when the construction of the expressway (Highway #417, also known as "The Queensway") was being prepared, the Holy Trinity parish was required to move, since their Temple would be demolished in favour of the highway.

While negotiating the expropriation of Holy Trinity Church for the Preston Street Area Urban Renewal Plan, on 16 February, 1965, the City of Ottawa sold both No. 7 Station fire halls to the parish for $62,000. The former Firehall #7 (earlier construction on Somerset Street West) had been used for some time by the former Boys' Club. Then, before the 1962 move to Bay street, a replacement Firehall #7 had been built at 58 Arthur Street (around the corner to the northeast, and adjoining the Somerset property at the rear of each address).

Next to the Boys' Club on Somerset Street was a house which was used temporarily for parish purposes.


First Holy Trinity Church on Somerset 1.png Temporary quarters next to the "Boys' Club", former fire-hall


The Arthur Street station had been vacated in 1962 when the fire department moved into new quarters on Bay Street. Once it had been relocated to #58 Arthur Street, the parish made plans for constructing the future Temple on Somerset Street. For this purpose, the orignal Firehall #7 (Boys' Club) was demolished, and on its site was constructed the new Temple, built at a cost of $150,000 and designed by architect Basil Miska.

Return to the Archdiocese of Canada, 1965

At this same time, the parish which had for a time belonged to the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR) returned to the Archdiocese of Canada within the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America (ROGCCNA) 1966. It was for this reason that the priest who had previously cared for the parish was moved elsewhere.

Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) of Montréal and Canada (of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America) made a search at that time, and he found Father George Pokrowsky in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, to take the pastoral leadership of this community. Father George and Matushka Natalia Pokorowsky arrived in 1966.

There were various serious needs amongst the parishioners in the context of this change, and through Father George and Matushka Natalia, he need was supplied first through prayer and intercession, then through developing the church school and encouraging the sisterhood. It was at this time, also, that the city expropriated the land on Gladstone Avenue on which the Temple had been situated. Therefore, leading a building project became Father George’s priority.

As was reported by Millie Kutowy (former secretary of Holy Trinity), it was her father (who served as the parish council president) who had tried to persuade Father George to leave western Canada. “We needed to build a church and heard about this priest in Moose Jaw who was a great builder”, she said. “My father finally convinced Bishop Sylvester (Haruns) to send Father Pokrowsky to us”. By 1968, the new Temple of the Holy Trinity had been built on Somerset Street, in the midst of "China-town".

The Temple was sanctified officially by Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) on 13 October, 1968, in time for the 50th Anniversary of the establishment of Orthodox Christian worship in Ottawa.

Arrival of Archpriest George and Natalia Pokrowsky, 1966 ; construction of the second Temple, 1968

It was early in 1966 that Father George and Matushka Natalia Pokrowsky were transferred to Ottawa, Ontario, to serve Holy Trinity Church in Ottawa. This parish had had a difficult and unstable history to some extent, and it needed a loving and strong pastor. Previously, Father George and Matushka Natalia had served diligently at Holy Trinity Orthodox Church in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, and their labours there had been very fruitful. That parish had been founded not long before this Ottawa parish, and the parishioners there had emigrated to Canada from a similar region of Eastern Europe.


Archpriest George Pokrowsky 1968 1.png Matushka Natalia Pokrowsky Ottawa 3.png

Archpriest George Pokrowsky (left) ; Matushka Natalia Pokrowsky (right)


With God’s help, Father George and Matushka Natalia together provided what was needed. Again, the need was supplied first through prayer and intercession, then through developing the church school, and encouraging the sisterhood. It was at this time, also, that the city expropriated the land on Gladstone Avenue on which the Temple had been situated. Now, leading a building project became Father George’s new priority.

Through negotiations, it was agreed that a pair of properties would supply the parish need. One of these was an existing building at 58, Arthur Street, a former fire-hall. When the hall was acquired, services began to be held within the hall while the adjacent property was developed. The Cross from the Gladstone Avenue Temple was placed atop the front of the hall.

This building included not only a hall with a stage and a well-functioning kitchen, but also a space for the parish office at the entrance, and a group of rooms upstairs which were made available for rent.


Parish hall, temporary church, Cross from the Gladstone Avenue Temple 1.jpg The parish hall (pre-construction temporary chapel)


The other property was a vacant lot at 721, Somerset Street. At its north boundary, this property abutted the south side Arthur Street property.


The land awaits 1.png The vacant lot on Somerset Street before construction, 1968

Blessing the land for construction 1.png The blessing of the land for construction

Turning the sod for construction 2.png Father George and others turn the sod for construction

Temple uner construction 1.png The Temple during construction


By 1968, the new Temple of the Holy Trinity had been built on Somerset Street, in the midst of "China-town". This new structure was situated on its site in such a way that processions on festal occasions could be made around the whole Temple. The Temple itself included a basement space which served as a smaller hall for various purposes.

During that year, the new Temple was sanctified, and the parish marked its 50th anniversary since the construction of the first Temple in 1918.


Archpriest George Pokrowsky at his desk 1968 1.png Archpriest George Pokrowsky at his office-desk (Temple plan inset)

Matushka Natalia Pokrowsky 1968 1.png Matushka Natalia Pokrowsky, 1968


Bishop Sylvester (Haruns) at parish hall during moleben 1.png Archbishop Sylvester in the temporary hall-chapel : Moleben of Thanksgiving


Christ the Saviour Ottawa interior.jpg Interior of the second Temple


Holy Trinity Sobor chandelier 1.png Central chandelier (imported from Greece by the sisterhood)

Sanctification of the second Temple, 1968

By the Grace of God, the sanctification of the new Temple took place on 12-13 August, 1968, in excellent weather. Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) of Montréal, Québec, led the services, together with his new Vicar-Bishop, Bishop Joasaph (Antoniuk) of Edmonton, Alberta.

At the time of the sanctification of the new Temple and the marking of the 50th anniversary, the leaders of the parish groups included :

 Mr. Ilia Fochuk (Parish Council President) ; Mrs. Zanfera Fochuk (Sisterhood President) ; 
 Mrs. Emilia Kutowy (Sunday School teacher) ; Michael Martens (subdeacon) ; 
 Victor Martens (Youth Club President).

During the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the services of sanctification, Archbishop Sylvester ordained Victor Antochi to the Holy Subdiaconate. He had long been serving in the Altar, and his family were singers in the choir, and he continued for many years afterwards to serve faithfully as he had before.

On Saturday, 12 August, 1968, at 7:00 p.m., Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) presided at Great Vespers in the temporary chapel in the parish hall, together with Archpriest George Pokrowsky and Protodeacon Peter Svetlovsky (who had travelled from New York City to serve). Bishop Joasaph (Antoniuk) was present.


Vespers 1.png

Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) and Archpriest George Pokrovsky serving Great Vespers


On Sunday, 13 August, 1968, at 9:00 a.m., the opening procession began at the parish hall's temporary chapel at 58, Arthur Street (a property adjoining that of the Temple, which faces another street). Sunday School children carrying Holy Icons led the procession, and they were followed by the clergy, and by Bishop Joasaph (Antoniuk), by Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns). The procession moved south along Arthur Street, and then west along Somerset Street to the new Temple. Traffic was diverted at this time. At the door of the Temple, the bishops and clergy were officially greeted with bread and salt and with speeches at the entrance to the building. Then followed the Entrance Prayers and vesting of the bishops.


Children leading the sanctification procession 2.png Children lead the procession from the hall to the Temple


On Sunday, 13 August, 1968, at 10:00 a.m., the Service of Sanctification of the Temple began, and it included a procession with the Holy Relics around the Temple. These Holy Relics were later placed within the Holy Table when it was completed and blessed.


Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns), Bishop Joasaph (Antoniuk), procession with relics 1.png Archbishop Sylvester, Bishop Joasaph, during the procession with the Holy Relics

Protodeacon Peter Svetlovsky censing during procession 1.png Protodeacon Peter Svetlovsky censing during the procession


At the conclusion of the procession, the Service of Sanctification continued until the Holy Table, and all the liturgical furniture, liturgical items, iconostas and icons in the Temple, as well as the walls of the Temple had been blessed.

On Sunday, 13 August, 1968, at 11:00 a.m., the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served by Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns), Bishop Joasaph (Antoniuk), Archpriest George Pokrowsky, Protodeacon Peter Svetlovsky, and others. The choir, which was supplemented by choristers from Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral in Montréal, was led by Alexander A Kaminski of that parish.


Alexander A Kaminski directs the choir 1.png A A Kaminski of Montréal directed the supplemented choir


High Place with epitaphios 1968 2.png High Place of the Altar with the "epitaphios" ("plashchanitsa")


At the Divine Liturgy 1.png Archbishop Sylvester and Bishop Joasaph at the Divine Liturgy


On Sunday, 13 August, 1968, at 12:30 p.m., a Thanksgiving Moleben (service of prayer) was offered. After this, there followed a dinner with speeches.

50th Anniversary Hierarchical Divine Liturgy and reception

On 13 October, 1968, there was again a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy served in the Temple by Archbishop Sylvester and Bishop Joasaph.


Annunciation Sisterhood 1968 2.png Annunciation Sisterhood at the anniversary dinner in the hall

Arrival, ordination, departure westwards of Andrey and Henriette Somow, 1968

In 1968, Andrey Somow, his wife Henriette and their family arrived in Ottawa from Europe, settled in Ottawa, and attended Holy Trinity Church. They became close workers and collaborators with Father George and Matushka Natalia. Soon, Father George recognised the spiritual, liturgical and pastoral gifts in Andrey, and he strongly supported his candidacy for ordination to the Holy Diaconate before Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) of Montréal and Canada. This ordination came, with God's blessing, in Montreal, Quebec, in 1974 ; but very soon afterwards, Deacon Andrey and his family moved to Vancouver, British Columbia, where Father Andrey had found work.

Archpastoral visitation, 1974

On 1-2 June, 1974, Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) of Montreal and Canada made an archpastoral visitation to the parish on the occasion of its Altar Feast-day.

On Saturday evening, 1 June, 1974, Archbishop Sylvester presided at the Vigil service of the Feast-day.

On Sunday, 2 June, 1974, the Feast of Pentecost, Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) presided at the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Temple of the All-Holy Trinity in Ottawa. At the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy, there was a procession around the Temple, which included the reading of the Holy Gospels at each of the 4 sides, and the blessing of the walls and of those present with Holy Water. Then, after the Vespers and Kneeling-prayers, a festal dinner was served in the hall by the sisterhood.


ArchbishopSylvesterHolyTrinityHramGreeting 1974 1.jpg Greeting in the hall by children


ArchbishopSylvesterAtHolyTrinitySoborOttawaPentecost1974 1.jpg Festal Hierarchical Divine Liturgy


ArchbishopSylvesterHolyTrinitySoborHramGospel 1974 1.jpg Reading of the Holy Gospel during the procession


ArchbishopSylvesterHolyTrinitySoborHram1974 1.jpg Blessing the walls and people at the procession

Father George Pokrowsky comes to retirement, 1983

While Father George continued with his pastoral labours at Holy Trinity Sobor, he also served on the archdiocesan council as its treasurer for many years, during the time of Archbishop Sylvester. Even though Father George carried within his heart a very painful and difficult personal history, he also carried in his heart (along with Matushka Natalia) the burden of intercession for the flock of Christ and the burden of pastorship. In addition, there was the burden of the developing physical ailments of his Matushka Natalia, and of his own ailments.


Archpriest George Pokrowsky in the office 1968 1.png Father George Pokrowsky shown at his desk


Although the photos show Father George in his office and at services in the Temple, he was also a diligent pastoral visitor. He cared deeply for the spiritual and overall welfare of the flock that had been committed to his care. Father George continued to serve diligently at Holy Trinity Sobor as its pastor until 1983, when he had to retire because of his failing health.

When Father George had to retire because of his illnesses, there was a search for a successor. Notwithstanding the retirement, Father George was able, despite difficulties, to be present in the Temple very often. He served as often as possible together with other clergy until he became bed-ridden.

Archpriest Oleg Kirilov, 1984

In 1984, Archpriest Oleg Kirilov was sent from Montréal, Québec (where he had been serving with Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) in the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul), and he was assigned to be the rector of the parish.

In 1988, Father Oleg organised the hosting of the newly-reviving Serbian Orthodox Parish of Saint Stefan, which, for over a year, required space to worship. Soon, they found their own property on Dominion Street, but they remained deeply grateful.

Enthronement of the Bishop of Ottawa and Canada, 1990

In October, 1990, there was a significant event : the enthronement in the Temple of the Holy Trinity of the new diocesan bishop of Ottawa and the Archdiocese of Canada, Bishop Seraphim (Storheim). Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor) was present for this service, together with many members of the archdiocesan council, and visitors from many parishes across Canada and from elsewhere.

Elevation to the status "sobor", 1990

In association with the enthronement, Bishop Seraphim elevated the parish to the dignity of "Sobor" (which means a large and prestigious Temple). Many events and meetings related to the archdiocese took place there afterwards.

It was during the course of the events associated with the enthronement that the fruits of the organisational and pastoral gifts of Father Oleg Kirilov were revealed. Indeed, the parish received many benefits from these gifts during the time of his pastoral service there (as did the parishes where he served in Moscow and in Toronto after having served in this parish).


Archpriest Oleg Kirillov.jpg Archpriest Oleg Kirilov

Repose of Matushka Natalia Pokrowsky, 1991

On 8 February, 1991, it was the time for the falling asleep in Christ of Father George’s beloved Matushka Natalia, for whom he had constantly shown tender care, and whom he deeply loved.

After the funeral services at Holy Trinity Sobor, her body was interred at the Saint Seraphim Russian Orthodox Cemetery in Rawdon, Québec.

Archpriest Oleg Kirilov moved to Moscow, 1992

In 1992, Father Oleg decided to travel to Russia and to help an old friend with the work of renewing a Temple and community in Moscow which had just been re-opened after the changes in government. He sought and received the blessing from Bishop Seraphim to do so.


Altar Feast-day Procession 1.png Altar Feast-day procession, Feast of Pentecost

Priest Marek and Matushka Teresa Kocon, 1993-1994

In 1992, Father Andrey Somow, who had remained a close friend with Father George for decades, recommended to him, to the parish council and to the bishop the Priest Marek Kocon who was living with his family in Victoria, British Columbia, at the time.


Father-Marek-Kocon-1993.jpg Priest Marek Kocon


This recommendation was accepted and blessed, and Father Marek arrived by car from British Columbia in January of 1993. This choice proved to be truly blessed. Father Marek and Father George quickly developed a close relationship, and they worked and prayed together. The result was very positive in the parish, and Father Marek and his family learned a great deal from this man who was something like a grandfather to them.

Father George was, however, put in a difficult position very quickly, because Father Marek developed a rapidly-progressing cancer and reposed in 1994. Father Marek had, in a very short time, become greatly and deeply loved by the parishioners. Just before his repose, a large icon of the Theotokos which he had ordered arrived, and it was blessed and placed in the Temple. In the midst of the pain that everyone felt at this time, Father George was able to be a consolation to all, but especially to the grieving family. His sons Leo, Philippe and Gabriel all served in the Altar in this parish for many years.


Iconostas with Icon of Theotokos given by Father Marek on right 1.png Icon given by Father Marek on the right of the iconostas


A lover of the liturgical services, Archpriest George never ceased to speak of their importance for the spiritual life of us all, especially since, as he said, we are not surrounded by an Orthodox rhythm of life as he had been in his childhood.

Archpriest Nikolai and Matushka Oksana Nikolaev, 1994-2000

After the repose of Father Marek, the Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev was the next priest to serve at Holy Trinity Sobor. He arrived in Ottawa from Ukraine in 1994, and he brought with him his wife and 6 children who had all recently arrived from Ukraine.


Nicolaev Nicolai Archpriest 1.jpg Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev


During his time of service at Holy Trinity Sobor, Father Nikolai improved his English language ability ; he served faithfully and with love, and he refined his ability in cultivating bees.


Holy Trinity Sobor choir 1.png Millie Kutowy and Holy Trinity Choir


Holy Trinity Sobor ordination Priest James S Griggs 3.png Ordination of Priest James S Griggs, 1996


on 2 June, 1996, Father Nikolai Nikolaev made all the arrangements for the ordination to the Holy Priesthood of Deacon James S Griggs, a recent graduate of Saint Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary. He was to be sent to serve in the Mission of Saint Gregory of Nyssa in Kingston, Ontario. There were many guests on this occasion, which occurred on the Feast of Pentecost, the Altar Feast-day of the parish.

Father Nikolai Nikolaev was released from these responsibilities in 2000, when he was transferred to serve parishes in Alberta, in Western Canada.

Repose of Father George Pokrowsky, 1999

Father George Pokrowsky had a genuine pastor’s heart. He was constantly praying for the faithful and grieving deeply for the sins of all.

He fell asleep in the Lord on 23 July, 1999.

Because of his request that the bishop and also the Priest Andrey Somow be present, there was a delay of a week after the repose.

A Panikhida was served on Sunday, 1 August, 1999, and on Monday, 2 August, 1999, both at 7:00 p.m. in Holy Trinity Bukowinian Orthodox Cathedral (Somerset Street West at Arthur Street).

The Memorial Divine Liturgy and Service for the Burial of a Priest were served at 10:00 a.m. in Holy Trinity Bukowinian Orthodox Cathedral on Tuesday, 3 August, 1999 (the day of the anniversary of the blessing of the Temple).

After the funeral services, his body was interred in the Saint Seraphim Russian Orthodox Cemetery in Rawdon, Québec.


Archpriest George Pokrovsky 1.png Archpriest George Pokrowsky, 1990s

Archpriest Nicholas Kondratyev, Hieromonk Daniel (Baeyens), 2000-2003

For the next 3 years, two other priests served. First, the Priest Nicholas Kondratyev served briefly. He was followed by the Hieromonk Daniel (Baeyens).

Holy Trinity Cemetery, 1931 ; Holy Trinity Cemetery Chapel, 1938

The parish cemetery, which is located at 1890, Merivale Road, just south of Hunt Club Road, is a little over 2 acres in size (Concession I, Lot 27, Nepean Township, Carleton County, Merivale Road, Ottawa).

Sanctified in 1931, it is the oldest Orthodox Christian cemetery in the Ottawa region.


Holy Trinity cemetery chapel.jpg Holy Trinity Cemetery Chapel, 1938


The cemetery chapel at the east end of the property was constructed in 1938 by Mr. Ilarion Rozmiretza. As was the parish Temple, the cemetery chapel was dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity.

On the annual Cemetery Day (проводы, "provody"), an outdoor memorial service is held, and the graves are blessed (the custom was perpetuated by the successor community). This was (and is) usually observed later in the spring, after the Feast of Pascha. On these days, the Divine Liturgy has been served in the cemetery chapel since 1938, and this was and is followed by a Panikhida (memorial service) and the blessing of the graves with holy water. The old Slavic custom of bringing food to the cemetery on the day of the grave-blessing and sharing a picnic there with friends and loved ones in memory of the departed was constantly observed.

Cemetery Address : 1890, Merivale Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K2G 1E6


Holy Trinity Cemetery Oottawa 1.jpg Holy Trinity Cemetery in winter


Holy Trinity Ottawa cemetery summer CBCS.png Holy Trinity Cemetery in summer

Dissolution ; sale ; transfer, 2003

By the year 2003, the situation of the community was such that the lay leadership decided that they would prefer to bring the life of the parish as Holy Trinity Sobor to an end. Therefore, in that year, they officially closed the parish, and they made an agreement with the parish of Christ the Saviour (of the Carpatho-Russian Diocese of America) to take it over, with the exchange of a token amount of money. The unilateral closure severed the previous connexion with the Archdiocese of Canada and The Orthodox Church in America, and it became possible to effect a legal and canonical change of ecclesiastical allegiance.

 Priests who served in this parish
 
 Priest __ Jankulitch  			1916-1917
 Archpriest Paul Lisock  			1918  
 	(builder of the first Temple at 820, Gladstone Avenue, Ottawa)
 Priest A Bohatirets  			1931
 Priest A Shovgeniuk  			1934
 Priest P Dubovik  				1950
 Archpriest N Komarnitsky  		1952
 Archpriest V Tchekanovsky  		1956 
 Archpriest G Pokrowsky  		1966  
 	(builder of the second Temple at 728, Somerset Street, in 1968)
 Priest Marek Kocon  			1993 
 Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev  		1994
 Archpriest Nicholas Kondratyev  	2000
 Hieromonk Daniel (Baeyens)  	2000-2003

Parish particular details

This parish was part of the Ontario Deanery of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The bishop was Bishop Seraphim (Storheim).

This parish followed (and its successor followed) the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish was the Feast of Pentecost (Descent of the Holy Spirit ; the Holy Trinity).


Holy Trinity Bukowinian Sobor

721, Somerset Street West

Ottawa, Ontario

K1R 6P7


Hall :

58, Arthur Street

Ottawa, Ontario

Reflections

Holy Trinity Church in Ottawa was like many of the communities that were established in the years before the Russian Revolution of 1917. As members of the "Russian Orthodox Mission in North America" of the Russian Orthodox Church, such communities (especially the urban communities) were very often the first communities to be established in a place. Further, these communities embraced and served all Orthodox Christians of all nationalities and places of origin.

Just as many others, Holy Trinity Church fostered the establishment of other Orthodox Christian communities. These were usually distinguished by the language they used. All the many Orthodox Christian parishes in Ottawa find their ultimate source in this community, which could be regarded as the "mother" or "grandmother" of them all.

This parish provided the "cradle" from which other of the older Orthodox Christian parishes in Ottawa began to grow :

Dormition of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church

Saint Elias Antiochian Orthodox Christian Cathedral

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral

Saint Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church

which, in 1987, became

Annunciation to the Theotokos-Saint Nicholas Cathedral

Protection of the Holy Virgin Russian Orthodox Memorial Church

Saint Stefan the Archdeacon Serbian Orthodox Church

and

Christ the Saviour Orthodox Curch which became the successor to the original parish in 2003.

There are yet other Orthodox Christian parishes in Ottawa and in Gatineau, Québec, but their relationship with Holy Trinity Sobor is less direct that these ones mentioned.

References

“Album : Golden Anniversary Bukowinian Greek Orthodox Holy Trinity Church 1918-1968” (Ottawa : Holy Trinity Parish Council, 1968).

Archdiocese of Canada — Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).]

The Russian Mission in North America

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.

History, in the web-site of the successor community, the parish “Christ the Saviour Orthodox Church”


Additional information :

Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America (OCA)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Metropolitan Vitaly (Ustinov)

Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns)

Bishop Joasaph (Antoniuk)

Bishop Seraphim (Storheim)

Archpriest George and Matushka Natalia Pokrowsky

Protodeacon Peter and Matushka Nadezhda Svetlovsky

Archpriest Andrey and Matushka Henriette Somow

Priest Marek Kocon

Archpriest Oleg Kirilov

Christ the Saviour Orthodox Church (the successor)

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Romanian Canadians

General information about Romanians in Canada

The Holy Trinity cemetery

Findagrave article about the Holy Trinity Bucovinian Orthodox Cemetery

The obituary of Archpriest George Pokrowsky was published in “The Ottawa Citizen” on Monday, 2 August, 1999 on p. 38.

The obituary of Matushka Natalia Pokrowsky was published in “The Ottawa Citizen” on Monday, 11 February, 1991 on p. 44.

Enthronement of the Ruling Bishop’ in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (November, 1990), pp. 1-2.

Holy Trinity Sobor, Ottawa’ in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (July, 1993), p. 9.

Ottawa Bukovinian Parish Celebrates 75th Anniversary’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Winter, 1993/1994), p. 6.

Fr Marek Kocon reposes in Ottawa’ in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Autumn, 1994), pp. 7-8.

A Tribute to Archpriest George Pokrowsky’ in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Winter, 1999/2000), pp. 1-2.