Ottawa ON Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral 1949
Ottawa, Ontario, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, 1949
“Assumption” is more correctly translated as “Dormition”.
Prehistory
By the beginning of the 20th century, a large number of people had begun to emigrate to Canada, mainly from the region of Bucovina of Moldavia, which at that time was a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Some of these pioneers also came from Galicia (Halychina), which is more to the north and west of Bucovina.
Although the very great majority of these newcomers eventually settled in Western Canada, some of them settled in the region of Ottawa, Ontario. Eventually, they were able to establish Holy Trinity Bukowinian Church on Gladstone Avenue. This parish was, in fact, a sort of “mother” community for several other Orthodox communities which developed in the city later on. Services in that parish were offered in Church Slavonic.
Founding of the community, 1949
In February, 1949, there was an initial meeting of the 13 persons who discussed their concern about being able to use the Ukrainian language in worship (so that people could properly understand). They decided that it was time to organise a Ukrainian Orthodox parish in Canada’s capital city, and they became the founders of the community to be.
In August, 1949, there was a meeting of the earliest members in the presence of the Archpriest Volodymyr Sluzar of Montréal, Québec. It was decided that the new parish would become a part of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada. Dmytro Kostenuk was elected to serve as the first parish president.
In October, 1949, the first Divine Liturgy for the congregation was served in the Dormition Greek Orthodox Church, which at that time was located at 360, Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario. Archbishop Mstyslav (Skrypnyk), Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, presided at this service.
The founders and benefactors of this parish include :
Orest & Sylvia Bigatyretz ; Stephen & Mary Brudal ; Mykhailo & Angelica Chinkiewsky ; William & Kathleen Chinkiwsky ; Michael & Dorothy (Chomane) Chomyn ; Dmitur Costaschuk ; John & Mary Dacour ; Eugene & Lena Danchul ; William & Helen Darcovich ; Nicholas & Pauline Dirifi ; Mr. C Dovhun ; George Fochuk ; Alexander & Nelly Hadinka ; C Hladun ; George Hlewka ; Dimitro & Rita Kmith ; Nick Komendat ; William Komisarchuk ; Dmitri Kostenuk ; Harry & Pearl Krokosh ; George & Eustena Krushinsky ; Anatoly Kryworuchko ; Ivan Kubarsky ; Peter & Alice Kubishewsky ; Peter Lacosta ; William & Mary Lacosta ; Pavlo & Kateryna Laschuk ; Anton & Matilda Lazarowich ; Evhen & Catharina Lewiski ; Alex & Mary Mack ; Mr. S Marchenko ; Gregory & Ludmila Maystrenko ; Stephan Melenka ; Mr. & Mrs. Monuk ; George Mosaluk ; Katherine Mosichuk ; John & Gladys Moskaluk ; Metro & Mrs. Moskaluk ; Volodymyr & Iryna Mushka ; Volodymyr & Nina Narkevich ; Nick & Margaret Natchuk ; Michael & Ivanna Petrowsky ; Mr. & Mrs. Pryhornytzky ; George Romaniuk ; Oleksa & Maria Romaniw ; Mike & Catherine Romanuk ; Ignacy & Walentyna Sawczenko ; Irene Shandro ; Mr. & Mrs. J Skrypnyk ; Victor & Alla Sotnyk ; Alex & Janet Stefiuk ; Wasyl & Mrs. Striletzky ; Anna Surmach ; Vasyl & Anna Sydor ; Mykola & Tatiana Sztepa ; Oleksij & Maria Tertishnki ; John Tokaryk ; Petro Tsebryk ; William Tusky ; George & Dora Tylchuz ; Mykhailo Tytor ; William & Mary Wishewan ; Peter Zebruka ; Pavlo & Halyna Zelem ; Anthony & Raifta Zidichouski ; Volodomyr & Mary Zopppa. Vladyka Mstyslaw (Skrypnyk) ; Protopresbyter Volodymyr Sluzar ; Priest Ivan Danyluk.
Despite the fact that this parish grew out of the first community in Ottawa, and that there were at the time some technical difficulties regarding the relationship with other Orthodox communities, this parish and her mother community generally lived in a peaceful relationship.
First Temple, 1950
In March, 1950, the parish purchased its first church building, the former Anglican Church of the Ascension (which was built in 1877), at 115, Echo Drive, on the corner of Main Street, and overlooking the historic Rideau Canal. The cost of the building was $12,000.00. The cost of modifications was an additional $7,000.00, which included a central roof-dome, a bell-house and a bell imported from Europe.
In August, 1950, the first Temple of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada in Ottawa was dedicated, and it was officially named in honour of the Dormition (Assumption) of the Blessed Virgin (Theotokos).
Parish cemetery purchased, 1951
In 1951, the parish cemetery, "The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Orthodox cemetery", was established in 1951 on land acquired from the neighbouring Holy Trinity Bukovinian Orthodox Cemetery, which is to its south.
Of note is a large granite Cross, donated by parishioners and dedicated in 1973. At this Cross, Memorial Services are offered.
Development of parish institutions
In 1952, the first Ukrainian school committee was formed within the parish, and classes began at the Cambridge Street School.
In February, 1960, the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada (UWAC), Lesia Ukrainka Branch, was established in the parish.
New land, 1962
In March, 1962, the decision was taken by the parish to purchase land at 1000, Byron Avenue for $40,000.00. The property included the historical “Honeywell House”, which later was used as the rectory (and also the place of worship during the period of the construction of the auditorium). This house is related to the early history of the urban region (and former city) of Nepean.
Honeywell House (manse, rectory)
In April, 1962, Yuri Kodak was selected to be the chair of the building committee. Vasyl Tomashewsky was the architect responsible for the church buildings. A two-phase plan was adopted to build the auditorium first, and then the actual Temple.
In September, 1962, the first meeting of the Canadian Ukrainian Youth Association (CYMK) was held in Ottawa.
Constructing the auditorium, 1963
In October, 1963, the architect Vasyl Tomashevsky completed the plans for the auditorium.
In November, 1963, there was a sod-turning ceremony, which marked the beginning of the construction of the auditorium. This was in the presence of the Priest Bohdan Gorgitza, the Archpriest Myroslav Podolsky, and the mayor of Ottawa, Charlotte Whitton.
Opening of the auditorium ; services began in the auditorium, 1964
In February, 1964, the first issue of the parish newsletter “Visti” was issued.
In May, 1964, with the participation of Archbishop Michael (Khoroshy) of Toronto, Ontario, the church auditorium was dedicated. The auditorium became the place of worship for the next 12 years.
New parish constitution ; plans for new Temple ; 1966
In December, 1966, the parishioners approved their parish constitution (statute).
During the years 1968-1975, plans for the future Temple were drawn up successively by Vasyl Tomashevsky (1968), P Dovbush (1973), and Yuri Kodak (1975). Over these years, the church building committee chairs included Nick Tokaryk and Alexander Wloch.
1973
In March, 1973, the Church Building Committee made 3 recommendations :
— that the Temple not be built directly above the auditorium — that the Temple should accommodate 150 people — that the cost for building the Temple not exceed $200,000.00.
During that same year, the Cross, donated by Eugene and Olga Danchul, was dedicated at the parish cemetery.
1975
In October, 1975, the building committee authorised the architect Yuri Kodak to create plans to determine cost estimates for the building of the Temple.
Final preparations to construct the Temple, 1976-1977
In March, 1976, Yuri Kodak’s plans for the Temple building were accepted by the parish.
In September, 1977, construction of the Temple was begun at 1000, Byron Street. The construction followed Yuri Kodak’s plans, and Peter Vorobej was the contractor.
Dedication of the Second Temple, 1978
In September, 1978, Metropolitan Andrij (Metiuk) served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy and the service of the dedication of new Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral (Sobor) of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin in Ottawa.
1980
In 1980, Vasyl Tomashevsky designed, commissioned and funded the 2 sets of liturgical banners ("khoruhvy") : one pair is gold-plated, and the other pair is gold-embossed burgundy material.
1983 : mortgage paid
In 1983, there was the symbolic “burning” of the construction mortgage, after all the debts had been retired.
1988
In 1988, there was a commemoration of the Millennium of the Baptism of Rus’, both in Ukraine and in Canada.
In June, 1988, the iconostas from the Saint-Sophie Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral in Montréal, Québec, was installed in the Temple. It replaced the original iconostas which had been constructed by Dmytro Kostenuk.
Re-naming of the UGOCC, 1990
In 1990, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of the Parliament of Canada.
The UOCC entered into Eucharistic union with the Patriarchate of Constantinople, 1990
In 1990, the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg, Manitoba, decided to enter into Eucharistic Union with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople (Istanbul). This decision also changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.
1991
In September, 1991, there was the service of blessing the stained glass window icon depicting the Virgin Mary. It was donated by Olga Danchul in memory of her late husband, Eugene Danchul, to honour the founders of the parish.
1996
In 1996, because of declining enrolment, the Ukrainian School merged with that of the parish of the Saint John the Baptist Shrine near Baseline Road and Prince of Wales Drive. Eventually, some language classes were again offered in this parish.
In the later in 1990s, the iconographer and one-time head of the UWAC’s Ottawa branch, Vera Senchuk, was commissioned by the parish to paint new icons to replace the original ones which had remained on the Saint-Sophie iconostas.
50 years, 1999
In early January, 1999, the first community “Sviat Vechir” (traditional Ukrainian Christmas Eve dinner) was held in the parish’s auditorium.
2002 : Arrival of Priest Ihor Ohrimtchouk ; Visit of Queen Elizabeth II
Priest Ihor Ohrimtchouk, 2002
In May, 2002, Priest Ihor Ohrimtchouk and his wife, Dobrodiiyka Jennifer arrived with their family in Ottawa to serve the Holy Assumption parish.
Father Ihor had been born in Western Ukraine, and at age 20, he had immigrated to Canada in 1990. His wife, Jennifer, was a fourth-generation Canadian. A graduate of Saint Andrew's College in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and having previously served parishes in Manitoba, Father Ihor arrived in Ottawa well-equipped to serve. Father Ihor’s pastoral identity was strongly influenced by the mentorship of many clergy, lay organisations and laymen and women of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (UOCC) and other Orthodox clergy as well as clergy from other denominations and faith traditions. Further, he advanced his education to higher levels while he served the parish. Father Ihor served as a member of the steering committee of the Ottawa Interfaith Council, and he was a registered member of the Ontario College of Teachers. He was frequently called upon as a representative of the Orthodox Christian Faith at interdenominational venues in Ottawa.
Besides assisting her husband in the pastoral ministry of the parish, Dobrodiiyka Jennifer worked as a registered dietitian at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. They were blessed with 2 children.
Visit of Her Majesty, the Queen, 2002
In October, 2002, the parish choir participated in the Multi-Faith Thanksgiving Service on Parliament Hill. It celebrated the 50th year of the reign of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. In attendance were Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II ; His Royal Highness, Prince Philip ; Her Excellency, the Right Honourable, the Governor General, Adrienne Clarkson ; and the Right Honourable, the Prime Minister, Jean Chretien.
2004 : 55th anniversary of the parish
In September, 2004, the parish honoured its founders and pioneers as it celebrated its 55th anniversary and annual Altar Feast-day. Archbishop Yurij (Kalistchuk), Archbishop of Toronto and the Eastern Eparchy, presided at the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy.
2005
In 2005, a commemorative plaque was hung in the vestibule near the main entrance to the Temple. It bore the names of the founders and pioneers of the parish.
60 years, 2009
In October, 2009, there was the celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral in Ottawa. Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk) led the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy and he presided at all the other festivities on this occasion.
Iconographic mural project : 2012-2014 and the following years
In 2012, the Parish Iconography Committee placed an advertisement in the “Visnyk” newspaper (the UOCC’s official newspaper) to invite iconographers to submit proposals for the design and painting of the iconography for the walls of the Temple. They received proposals from many Orthodox iconographers from across North America. The Parish Iconography Committee evaluated and selected the best 3 proposed designs which were presented at the Parish Annual Meeting held in March, 2013. The committee recommended the proposal prepared by Subdeacon Michael Kapeluch of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA as the successful design. Following a discussion by the membership, the Parish Council was given the approval to negotiate a contract for his services. The iconography project design, prepared by Subdeacon Michael provided an opportunity to demonstrate the Ukrainian Orthodox heritage in Canada’s capital city. His design's intention was to unify the internal and external design elements of the Temple, and to highlight the Biblical theme of the Tree of life. His work when completed would portray the history of salvation through the saints and events of the Old and New Testaments.
Furthermore, the women of the UWAC’s Lesia Ukrainka Ottawa branch, through considerable hard work, collected and raised funds. Thus, they were able to sponsor financially the first phase. This was the painting of a central icon in the Temple. It was to be located on the wall behind and above the Holy Table in the Altar. This icon stretches from the floor to the ceiling, and it is comprised of 2 parts : the “Platytera” (“wider than Heavens”), and the Communion of the Holy Apostles. The icon was delivered and installed in early March, 2014. The whole parish has been deeply and sincerely grateful to the Women’s Association for their generous undertaking, and for the example that it provides to all the parishioners. Later, once all the costs were determined, the parish formally began a fundraising campaign amongst the parishioners so as to enable them to participate in this monumental undertaking.
The Ukrainian Woman’s Association of Canada agreed to sponsor the first and the second stage of the iconography in the Temple in the Altar. The first icon, of the "Platytera" (or, "Sign of the Theotokos"), was completed for the Sunday of Orthodoxy of 2014, when the first icon was installed, and the first stage was completed. The second part of that stage of iconography (on the adjacent wall of the Altar) was also completed at the same time in 2014.
The intention was that the iconography of this Temple reflect the perfect fusion of the Orthodox Christian Faith in its Ukrainian expression. It was hoped that when God would help the parishioners to complete the project, this Temple could be a beacon of the Orthodox Christian liturgical tradition and sacred art in the National Capital Region, and that it could display the unique beauty of the Orthodox Christian Faith in its Ukrainian expression.
Ukrainian Orphanage support : 2012 and the following years
This parish has pursued the project begun in 2012 of supporting a state-operated orphanage in Krivyj Rih, in the Dnipropetrovsk province of Ukraine. It is home for 57 children of all ages. In addition to orphans, some deaf children moved to the orphanage when their group home closed. Besides this, 2 new group living arrangements were created for children living in unsafe or dysfunctional homes where the parents may be addicts, alcoholics, or unable for some reason to make solid parental decisions with regard to their children. Although the parents retain parental rights, the children spend most of their time in the orphanage, and they occasionally go home for visits.
The parish community has been giving the graduates from the orphanage some items needed for independent living. A “Borscht Cook-Off” was organised to raise funds to purchase these gifts. On one occasion, because of the generosity of those involved, the parish was able to provide each of the 11 graduates with a warm blanket, a pillow, bed linens, a large bath towel, a cup, a plate and bowl, utensils, a pot and a pan. They also sent Canadian t-shirts to remind them of their Canadian fellow countrymen across the seas. After leaving the orphanage, the children are only provided with a place to live in residence, as well as a very small sum of money, which makes it very difficult for them to purchase even the bare necessities. This sort of extreme poverty makes them vulnerable to various sorts of dangerous predatory persons.
Hospital support in Ukraine
One of the financial transfers to Ukraine from the donors of this parish was $500.00 (CAD) for the volunteers who work for the Burns Department of the Dnipropetrovsk Hospital #2. This time, they used the money for 2 important pieces of equipment that the surgeons there had been hoping to receive. In less than 2 weeks, the equipment was in operation. One was a suction unit, used during surgery to remove liquid from the wound. Another machine was a blood centrifuge, which is used for intensive care patients who need their blood tested very frequently in order to monitor their condition and their dynamics. In many other ways, the parishioners have been supporting particular needs in Ukraine.
Redevelopment committee : 2013 and the following years
In October, 2013, Bohdan Shumsky, the chair of the redevelopment committee, attended a faith-based organisational workshop which was held at Saint Paul’s University. This full-day workshop was organised by several of Ottawa’s “main-stream churches” (Roman Catholic, Anglican, United) in order to address the same situation in which this parish found itself. That situation was having surplus properties, and needing to understand how best to use and “re-purpose” these resources in order to provide much needed funding for the parish so that it could continue its missionary activity into the future. This workshop provided the participating parish delegates a forum in which to exchange experiences and valuable ideas about successful projects and obstacles. It was evident from those in attendance (approximately 40 other parishes) that there were many others involved in this endeavour to achieve a solution that could enable parishes to revitalise their spiritual missions.
During the autumn, the redevelopment committee worked with a respected Ottawa developer (Domicile Developments Ltd.) which had expressed a strong interest in the project to prepare several architectural designs (at no cost to this parish) for the possible renovation of the current church buildings, and different types of proposed new buildings and/or residence(s). The committee was in communication also with other companies/architects and they were considering various options. There was concern that whatever would ultimately be chosen also be financially viable.
Although the committee was actively preparing several potential options to present, by 2015, circumstances had begun to change in the city which would make the next steps more uncertain. In advance of the municipal elections of 2014, the Ottawa City Council and the Planning Department of Ottawa had suspended all consideration of development proposals. Although there had been strong interest expressed by the well-experienced Domicile Developments Ltd. with regard to developing some sort of residential complex, major changes in government employment policies greatly reduced the demand for such residential accommodation. These major uncertainties required a substantial delay in coming to any conclusions about the best direction to take, and in preparing any concrete recommendations to the parishioners.
65 years, 2014
On 27-28 September, 2014, the 65th anniversary of the parish was marked by the serving of an Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, a celebratory dinner, and the presence of special guests. On Saturday evening, the serving of Great Vespers was followed by a wine-and-cheese reception. That evening concluded with a characteristic impromptu singing of various songs by those who were present. On Sunday, the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served by Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk) and Bishop Andriy (Peshko), along with the Archpriest Ihor Okhrimtchouk and the Archpriest Roman Bozyk. Afterwards, at the festal dinner, in addition to the bishops, the main table included Dobrodiiyka Jennifer Okhrimtchouk and Dobrodiiyka Genia Bozyk. Father Roman Bozyk was a previous pastor in this parish, and he was at this time the Principal of Saint Andrew’s College in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He was assisted in this work by Dobrodiiyka Genia. In addition, the Deputy Chief of Mission of the Embassy of Ukraine, Marko Shevchenko was present with his wife. Following the dinner, there was a programme of performances by the men’s Akord Choir, the parish choir, and the parish children’s dance group.
There were 5 parishioners who received the Metropolitan’s Hramota (certificate of blessing), which is the highest award in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada that is given to parish members for their dedicated work on behalf of the Church. These were :
Dr. Myron Oleskiw ; Nadia Dubik ; Zora Jackson ; Irene Lind ; Bohdan Nakoneczny.
2015
On 26-27 September, 2015, the parish observed its annual Altar Feast-day (“Prestol’ne Sviato”) as Bishop Andriy (Peshko) presided over a modest parish family celebration. On Saturday, 26 September, after Great Vespers, everyone present went to the hall for a pleasant time of fellowship, and the possibility to have a chat with their hierarch. During the evening, Bishop Andriy had an opportunity to thank one of the parishioners personally for her knitted work for the orphans in Ukraine. He emphasised that everyone can contribute towards those in need, both domestically or in Ukraine.
Repairs and restoration : 2017, and the following years
In 2017, the parishioners were asked to recall that the parish hall had been constructed in 1967, and that the Temple itself subsequently had been built on top of it in 1976. Because the buildings were more than 5 and 6 decades old at that time, it was not a surprise that some maintenance and repair would be needed then, and continue to be required. In addition, the “manse” or “parsonage” is much older than this combined structure. Keeping all the buildings in a well-maintained condition is simply good stewardship of the resources that God has provided.
From 2002, major repair initiatives have included : the replacement of the roof on the hall and on the manse ; repairs to portions of the church roof ; conversion of the lighting in the hall to LED ; regular maintenance of the heating and air conditioning systems ; other repairs as the needs have arisen. A parishioner operating a window supply and installation company, whose company was contracted to replace the windows in the hall over a 2-year period, agreed to do so either on a donation basis or on an at-cost basis. Other priorities included the completion of the installation of a new roof on older portions of the church roof (to eliminate the water damage that was still causing ceiling stains), renovation of the parish office and the lavatories, repairs and/or replacement of the hall and kitchen flooring.
The parishioners have considered it to be a blessing that there have been tenants in the “manse” (parsonage, rectory) for a long period. Improvements have been made to this historical home so that it may meet the needs of the tenants.
Nevertheless, the parishioners have been reminded that their talents and skills are needed in many ways in order to keep all the structures and the grounds in good conditions.
Pilgrimage, 2017
From 29 September to 1 October, 2017, this parish again hosted the Eastern Eparchy Pilgrimage, and celebrated its Parish Altar Feast-day. With Bishop Andriy (Peshko) participating, representatives from parishes in the Toronto, Scarborough, Grimsby and Montréal areas joined parishioners in Ottawa for fellowship and worship. The representatives included 25 young people.
Centennial of the UOCC, 2018
In 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada and also of Holy Trinity Cathedral were marked at an extraordinary sobor (assembly) at the cathedral in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The purpose of the sobor was to celebrate 100 years of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The celebrations were attended by Ukrainian Orthodox faithful from across Canada and beyond.
The Sobor began on Thursday, 9 August, 2018, with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Chapel of Saint Petro Mohyla Institute, presided by Bishop Andriy (Peshko) of the Eastern Eparchy, with the responses sung by the Clergy led by Father Michael Lomaszkiewicz. This was followed by an All-Canada Clergy Conference.
All gathered for Vespers at the Mohyla Institute Chapel and this was followed by a wine and cheese reception as the delegates and guests registered for the Extraordinary National Council.
The celebrations continued for a year.
In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.
As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.
Bereavement, 2021
On Wednesday, 23 June, 2021, Ihor Ohrimtchouk unexpectedly fell asleep in the Lord. He reposed in the Ottawa Civic Hospital, at age 51.
On Monday, 28 June, 2021, there was an opportunity for visitation at the Holy Assumption Cathedral between noon and 8:00 p.m., during which a Panikhida (memorial service) was offered. Visitors were limited and they were required both to register and to wear face-masks, since it was the time of the restrictions associated with the Covid-19 virus pandemic.
On Tuesday, 29 June, 2021, at 10:00 a.m., there was a private Memorial Divine Liturgy and funeral service offered at the Holy Assumption Cathedral. The service was "live-streamed" on the internet. Kelly Funeral Home, Ottawa, was entrusted with the arrangements.
Father Ihor was survived by his wife Dobrodiiyka Jennifer ; children Taras and Maryana, and other extended family members.
Priest Taras Kinash, 2022
In April, 2022, Priest Taras Kinash was assigned to serve as pastor of the Holy Assumption (Dormition) Parish. He arrived with his wife, Dobrodiiyka Olya and their son.
Father Taras had visited Canada on some occasions since 2002, when he was yet a student at the Ivano-Frankivsk Theological Seminary. During these visits, he gained experience both with the English Language, and with Canadian society (as well as the Ukrainian emigration). With his wife, he had led a new parish in the Kyiv Province of Ukraine under the Kyiv Patriarchate for several years. The hostilities between Russia and Ukraine in 2022 hastened the arrival of the family in Ottawa.
Visit of Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla in May, 2022
Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla visited the cathedral on 18 May, 2022. They attended a Moleben service for Ukraine enduring war, along with some parishioners, the Ukrainian Ambassador and other Ukrainian dignities. Afterwards, there was a programme in the parish hall.
Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla at the cathedral
Election of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk), 2022
Election of a nominee by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
On 15-19 June, 2022, the 24th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox of Canada was convened "on-line". This conference-meeting was convened thus instead of convening physically (as customarily) in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There were 6 cathedrals in Canada where this meeting took place simultaneously through a computer-network : in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral) ; Vancouver, British Columbia (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Edmonton, Alberta (Saint John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral) ; in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Toronto, Ontario (Saints Vladimir and Olga Cathedral) ; in Montréal, Québec (Saint Sophie Cathedral).
There was a total of 205 delegates, which was near the average attendance for such sobors.
In the course of the work of the Sobor, there was the necessary election in order to nominate to the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople a candidate for election as Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, who would succeed the Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk).
There were 3 candidates who were considered : Archbishop Job (Getcha), Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk), and Bishop Andriy (Peshko). The final choice of the members of the sobor was Archbishop Job (Getcha). He had received more than the minimum required 51% of the votes, and there was no subsequent voting required.
The election by the Sobor (Assembly) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada then had to be confirmed by the Holy Synod of Bishops of Constantinople (as is described in the Consistory By-laws).
Upon having received the nomination (with accompanying documents) from the Sobor of the UOCC, the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) to become Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada.
The Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Archbishop Job (Getcha) to become Metropolitan of Pisidia, in west-central Türkiye (Turkey), north of Lycia, and east of Ephesus.
Confirmation of election in Constantinople/Istanbul, 2022
On 29 August, 2022, Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) was at the Phanar in Constantinople for the purpose of the first confirmation of the election in June, 2022. He co-served the Divine Liturgy with Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) in the Cathedral of Saint George at the Phanar.
Enthronement as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, 2022
On Saturday, 19 November, 2022, at 9:30 a.m., in Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Enthronement Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served. Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) presided at the Divine Liturgy. He was assisted by Bishop Andriy (Peshko), many priests, several deacons, subdeacons and Altar-servers. Present also were Metropolitan Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas), Exarch of Canada for the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk), Former Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.
Archpastoral visitation, October, 2022
On the 16th Sunday, 2 October, 2022, Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) made an archpastoral visitation to the Holy Assumption parish along with Bishop Andriy (Peshko) of the Eastern Eparchy. They served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy along with Mitred Archpriest Volodymyr Kouchnir and Priest Taras Kinash.
Following the Divine Liturgy, there was served a festive meal.
On Monday, 3 October, 2022, Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) served a Memorial Litiya at the grave of Archpriest Ihor Okhrimtchouk, of blessed memory, long-time Dean of the Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral of The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin at the Holy Assumption Cemetery on Merivale Road in Ottawa.
Following the Litiya, Metropolitan Ilarion attended a dinner with Dobrodiiyka Jennifer Okhrimtchouk at the residence of Father Taras Kinash, where he expressed words of archpastoral care and support to the family of Dobrodiiyka Okhrimtchouk.
At the Divine Liturgy
Parish dinner (left) ; Parishioners, 2022 (right)
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) with Father Taras and Dobrodiiyka Olga
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) serving the Litiya
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) at the Phanar, Istanbul, 2023
On Sunday, 2 July, 2023, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) was present and praying during the Divine Liturgy at Saint George's Cathedral in the Patriarchate compound. He gave the blessing that Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) preside ("horostasia") over the Divine Liturgy. Metropolitan Job (Getcha) of Pisidia, Bishop Athenagoras (Ziliaskopoulos) of Nazianzos, and the Honourable Roman Nedilskyi, General Consul of Ukraine in Constantinople were also present and praying with the congregation of the Faithful.
Change of calendar for the UOCC, 2023
On 1 December, 2023, in accordance with the resolutions of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk) announced that, effective that day, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada moved to use the New (Revised Julian) Calendar. He allowed that for a brief period of time, a parish might remain on the Old (Julian) Calendar.
It seems that subsequently, John's Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta, was the first to adopt the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
However, a previously-existing group of persons began to encourage resistance to the immediacy of this change. It was their understanding that the process would be determined ultimately and finally at the next general sobor of the UOCC. Therefore, on 16 December, 2023, Metropolitan Ilarion issued a formal letter concerning the situation, together with a letter of support sent to him by his predecessor (Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)). He called the resisters to repentance.
Parish organisations and activities
Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada (UWAC) Lesia Ukrainka Branch, 1952/1960
In February, 1952, the UWAC Saint Sophia branch that was affiliated with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Ottawa was organised, about 2 years after the founding of the parish. The first executive of this branch consisted of the following :
Miroslava Dacour, President ; Ivanna Petrivska, Vice President ; Iryna Mushka, Secretary ; I Shandro, English Correspondence Secretary ; Pearl Krokosh, Treasurer ; Tatiana Chala, Pauline Dorofi, Alice Kubishewsky, Audit Committee ; Pauline Dorofi, Hospitality Manager.
After some years passed, the UWAC organisation encountered certain difficulties and it faced a declining membership. At that time, the sisterhood that was also active in the parish assumed the responsibilities, and these women continued the work of the women’s group for several years.
On 14 February, 1960 (about 10 years after the founding of the parish), an organisational meeting of a group of women took place, and the Lesia Ukrainka Branch was formally established. The first executive of the Lesia Ukrainka Branch was composed of the following :
Anastasia Trishchuk, President ; Maria Mack, Vice President ; Doreen Keir, Secretary ; Marie Kishchuk, Assistant Secretary ; Pearl Krokosh, Treasurer. In addition, there were Tatiana Chala, Olena Darcovich, Pauline Dorofi, G Havreliak, Adele Kereliuk, Maria Kischuk, Natalia Kodak, Alice Kubishewsky, Iryna Loshney, Maria Mandziuk, Katherine Mosichuk, Iryna Mushka, Myroslava Mychalkov, Ivanna Petrivsky, Luba Podolsky, Mary Tokaryk.
The annual membership fee at that time was $2.00.
During the early years, the young and enthusiastic members’ priorities consisted of social and cultural programmes to maintain the growing parish and preserve Ukrainian cultural traditions. Several committees were created to address programming, social events and cultural activities including arts and crafts. Their first projects included preparing and serving parish dinners, sales of used clothing and conducting short courses in the art of Easter-egg-writing ("pysanky"), traditional baking and embroidery, some of which were demonstrated on local television programmes. Several members attended weaving courses in Banff, Alberta and later shared their newly acquired skills with the other members as well as parishioners. Activities grew to include celebrations of Ukrainian literature ("Sviato Knyzhky"), embroidery evenings, membership receptions, and seasonal events such as Saint Nicholas concerts for the children. Initiatives to embroider table covers and acquire decorative items for the beautification of the church were organised. Members also became active as a social service by visiting the sick and housebound.
Throughout the history of this parish, the Women’s Association has had a central and foundational rôle in its life.
During the course of the years, the rôles, responsibilities and activities of the Women’s Association have expanded. The members also participated in a variety of other community activities, including the parish choir, the parish executives and various event committees. The Women’s Association continues to organise, prepare and serve 3 major parish dinners every year : the Eve of the Feast of Jordan (18 January), “Spilne Sviachene” (the first Sunday after the Feast of Pascha), and “Khramove Sviato” (the parish’s Altar Feast-day in early September).
The top priority of the Women’s Association is to support the parish in any way that is required, both financially and physically. From the very beginning, this has included fundraising for the actual construction of the hall and other buildings. There have been various fundraising activities such as fashion shows, teas, bingos, and bazaars. The Women’s Association organises 2 bazaars annually, one during the pre-Easter season (Great Lent) and another before the Feast of the Nativity. In 1989, as a result of increased public relations efforts within the local Ottawa community, the bazaar attendance increased significantly. Since then, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church bazaar is so eagerly awaited in the Ottawa community that people wait in lines to enjoy traditional Ukrainian cuisine and to buy savoury and sweet baked goods prepared by the Women’s Association with the help of parishioners. Several months of preparation are required for each bazaar. As a result, these bazaars have been very successful, and they have consistently attracted both the Ukrainian and local Ottawa communities as a whole.
The Church bazaars have been the primary source of fundraising by the Women’s Association. A majority of these funds have been donated to the parish for major repairs and beautification projects. One of the most significant of these was in 1989, on the 30th anniversary of the Lesia Ukrainka Branch. At that time, after a very large fundraising effort, the Women’s Association funded the expansion, renovation and re-equipping of a new kitchen at the Temple.
Generations of dedicated, talented and hard-working women have ensured that the church interior has always been well-maintained and beautifully decorated. They continue to ensure that the Temple is always properly adorned, carefully reflecting the seasonal and religious occasions with appropriate “rushnyky” (embroidered towels), ecclesiastical banners, and complete sets of embroidered coverings for the Holy Table and other tables. The Women’s Association has also funded and arranged for the provision of numerous sets of vestments for the priests.
Every year for Good Friday, the Women’s Association collects donations to adorn the platform holding the Holy Shroud with a multitude of flowers. During the course of a year, the Holy Table, tables in the Altar, and tables in the Temple are covered with intricately embroidered cloths that were designed and made by many women over the years :
Olga Bokhenko ; Anne Kosovan ; Maria Kostiuk ; Mrs. Monuk ; Orysia Sztepa.
Mrs. Monuk embroidered the cloth depicting 2 colourful birds that is typically draped over the lectern that serves for the reading of the Holy Gospel. She also embroidered a Taras Shevchenko "rushnyk" (towel).
Iryna Mushka, Maria Holuk and others sewed several sets of curtains for the parish hall, and robes for the altar-servers. In addition to the backdrop curtains for the stage, purple cloths to cover the Holy Table and other tables during Great Lent were sewn by :
Maria Holuk and Halyna Zelem.
Embroidery that is used at the Feast of Pascha was done by :
Olga Bokhenko and Orysia Sztepa.
The embroidery for the season of the Nativity was done by :
Anna Kosovan.
During a period of 9 years, Maria Kostiuk embroidered 2 sets of banners depicting Jesus Christ, the Blessed Virgin Mary, Princess Olha, and Prince Volodymyr ; vestments that were presented to Priest Jaroslav Buciora ; an entire set of covers for the tables in the Altar ; additional covers to complete existing sets. Maria Kostiuk was honoured by MP Mac Harb in 1999 for her work and dedication to creating the embroidered items for the Temple.
Youth Nights
These evening gatherings offer opportunities monthly for youth and adults to meet new people within the Ukrainian community. They are held on the first Friday of every month, from October to June, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. It is a family-style evening for everyone. An assortment of games are available, including board games and floor hockey. Sometimes there are added elements, such as learning Ukrainian dance steps for a “Zabava” (impromptu folk-dance) or making collections for the needy.
Ukrainian Dance classes
Dance classes (offered during the months of the school year) are open to all young people from 4 years of age and older. New participants are always welcome. The classes are divided by age and experience.
Sunday school, 1950
Sunday school (Church school) has been a part of parish life from the very earliest years. In the beginning, the women of the local branch of the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada played a leading rôle, together with the Ukrainian school teachers, the "Dobrodiiyky" (priests' wives), and some mothers in the parish. By the mid-1960s, classes were taught by Mary Mack, Mrs. H Trischuk, Doreen Keir, Gloria Prokopovich, Olga Sametz, Ms. C Dorofi, Mr. M Zabolotny, and Dobrodiiyka L Gorgitsa. Through the 1980s, Dobrodiiyka Genia Bozyk took an active rôle in Sunday school in addition to her work in the Ukrainian School. After 1992, Halyna Michaelchuk and Liza Malarek assisted in the Sunday school programme, along with many others from the parish.
From the beginning, children have been encouraged to take an active part in the parish by learning about the Ukrainian Orthodox Christian Faith, and by participating in liturgical services. Recently, Youth Sundays have been introduced at which the youth assist with coffee hour after the Divine Liturgy. Throughout, the young people in the parish continue to be encouraged to live their Faith and culture actively.
The Sunday school attendance continued to grow under the direction and guidance of Dobrodiiyka Jennifer Okhrimtchouk and Suzanne Soroka. The programme includes religious studies, singing, concerts, and participation in Divine Liturgies and special services through receiving Holy Communion, holding candles during readings and prayers, and other activities. To help with the growing number of children in the parish, the parish council added the position of Youth Programming Director in 2009 to the positions on that council.
Ukrainian school, 1952
As in many other Canadian cities with a Ukrainian population, a Ukrainian school was established within the parish. In Ottawa, in 1952, a Ukrainian school committee was formed, and the Saturday morning Ukrainian school was established and offered classes at the Cambridge School. From that time, members of the Women’s Association took on the responsibility of serving as teachers for these classes. Their traditional Ukrainian love of song and dance was transferred to the children through organised choirs and dancing groups, and talented individuals stepped in to provide musical accompaniment when the children performed at the annual concerts that celebrate Saint Nicholas, Taras H Shevchenko and Mother’s Day. The school was a fundamental cornerstone of the parish and of the Ukrainian community. The parish’s Ukrainian school no longer exists but all the former teachers, students and families have fond memories of those special days.
Ukrainian Youth Association of Canada (CYMK), 1962
In 1962, a branch of the Ukrainian Youth Association of Canada (CYMK) was organised at the parish. With the ongoing support of the Women’s Association (both financially and through the efforts of their members), the youth organisation remained a focus of youth activity until the late 1970s. In the decades since then, it met the needs of each new generation.
In an effort to give the parish youth a grounding in the Ukrainian Orthodox Faith, the Women’s Association financially supported the establishment and operations of Sunday school with the help of a number of successive "dobrodiiyky" (priests' wives) and high school girls from the parish. All along, the Women’s Association also gladly provided financial assistance to the youth of the parish, supporting their participation as delegates to national conventions and attendance at Ukrainian summer camps.
UWAC participation in other organisations
From the very beginning, the parish Women’s Association was active outside the Church both with other Ukrainian activities and organisations such as the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC), as well as with the mainstream community. In the early years, the branch worked with the Canadian Red Cross, the Citizenship Council and the Council of Women where the Ukrainian perspective was presented before other Canadian organisations.
Delegates from the Lesia Ukrainka Branch participated in provincial and national conventions as well as on regional executives of UWAC. It also celebrated the UWAC’s anniversaries, including the 70th anniversary in 1996 on which occasion Ambassador Volodymyr Furkalo of the Embassy of Ukraine in Canada and other Embassy officials were invited to a special luncheon hosted in the church hall by the members of the Lesia Ukrainka Branch.
For many years the Women’s Association helped needy Ukrainians in South America and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Poland. With the declaration of Ukrainian independence in 1991, the Women’s Association’s efforts were redirected to helping people in various regions in Ukraine by gathering and shipping used clothing, special collections of school supplies and medical supplies. Since their beginning, the Women’s Association has made donations to publications such as "Promin" (the UWAC’s bilingual journal), "Ukrainian Voice" (Canadian-Ukrainian newspaper) and "Visnyk/the Herald" (newspaper of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada), the Ukrainian Museum of Canada in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Saint Andrew’s College in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and the Children of Chernobyl Foundation.
UWAC Activities
From the beginning, the many activities which highlight the work of the Lesia Ukrainka Branch have included :
Display of national arts and crafts with items brought from the Toronto branch of the Ukrainian Museum in Canada ; • Display of historical Ukrainian dress during the Centennial of Canadian Confederation (1967) ; • Presentation of Ukrainian National Modern and Historical Costumes at the National Arts Centre (1975) ; • Celebration of the Ukrainian pioneer settlers in Canada ; • Exhibits by living artists of Ukrainian origin, including William Kurelek, Peter Shostak, and Yaroslava ; • Participation in the City of Ottawa’s Homelands, a multicultural initiative with Ukrainian pavilions displaying Ukrainian customs and history (1979, 1982) ; • Commemoration of the 'Holodomor' (1932-33 Genocide Famine of Ukraine) at Ottawa’s Notre Dame Basilica (1983) ; • Celebration of the Millennium of Christianity in Ukraine with events such as concerts, lectures and exhibits (1988) ; • Display of Ukrainian heritage and culture at the Museum of Civilization (1990) ; • Commemoration of the 5th Anniversary of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster (1991) ; • Participation in Ottawa’s Festival of Cultures. • The church auditorium served as the Ukrainian pavilion and was decorated through the efforts of the Women's Association and church members. The beautiful pavilion was awarded First Prize and was rewarded with a trophy for its programme and displays of religious and cultural traditions (1995) ; • In conjunction with the Canadian Ukrainian Congress, participated in the memorial for the 'Holodomor' Genocide Famine of Ukraine and placed a wreath at the Human Rights Monument in Ottawa (1998) ; • Sponsored and organised the Flowers of the Bible art show and sale with the Edmonton artist Larisa Sembaliuk-Cheladyn in attendance (2000).
The members of the Lesia Ukrainka Branch have generously dedicated many years of service to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral and to Ukrainian community life in Ottawa. Their faith and love of Ukrainian traditions united them and made them strong, and they shared their strength with this parish and community. Almost 60 years later, the Women’s Association continues its efforts to support church projects and activities that preserve and promote the Ukrainian culture, language, customs and religious heritage in the nation’s capital.
Parish Membership
All baptised/chrismated persons who actively confess the Orthodox Christian Faith are members of the Orthodox Church. However, only registered parishioners can take part in parish meetings, vote, etc. Those of the faithful who wish to be registered members of the parish must fill out an information form and make an annual membership donation according to the posted amount.
The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral honours its founders and pioneers who through their tireless efforts and sacrifice established the parish in 1949 and continued to support it over many years. The current and future members of this parish remain forever indebted to the vision and initiative of these founders and pioneers and to other parishioners who provided support in spirit and through their individual efforts.
As the only Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Ottawa, this parish also has a special rôle and obligation to represent the Ukrainian community before the federal government and its ministers on occasions when it may be appropriate and necessary. It also has on occasion reason to make a contact with the Embassy of Ukraine in the city on behalf of the Metropolitan of the UOCC.
Parish priests :
The priests who have served in this parish include : Priest John Danyliuk 1950-1952 Priest Orest Iwaniuk 1952-1954 Priest Gregory Kryshtanowych 1954-1955 Priest Myroslav Podolsky 1955–1961 Priest John Danyliuk 1950-1952 Priest Orest Iwaniuk 1952-1954 Priest Gregory Kryshtanowych 1954-1955 Priest Myroslav Podolsky 1955-1961 Priest Bohdan Gorgitza 1961-1964 Priest Vasyl Senyshyn 1964-1975 Priest Nicholas Rauliuk 1975-1979 Priest Serhiy Kitsiuk 1979-1980 Priest Paul Shadursky 1980-1981 Priest Roman Bozyk 1981-1992 Priest Peter Kosatsky 1992-1993 Priest Peter Boyko 1993 Priest Roman Kocur 1993-1994 Priest Gregory Udod 1994-1995 Priest Jaroslaw Buciora 1995-1999 Archpriest Ihor Kutash 1999-2000 Priest Mykola Churak 2000-2002 Archpriest Ihor Okhrimtchouk 2002-2021 Priest Taras Kinash 2022-____
Parish particular information
This parish is a part of the Eastern Eparchy, Ottawa Region, of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The bishop of the eparchy is Bishop Andriy (Peshko).
This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
In 2024, the pastor of the parish is the Priest Taras Kinash.
Address :
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
1000, Byron Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario,
K2A 0J3
Telephone : (613) 728-0856
Web-site : http://www.ukrainianorthodox.info/home.html
E-mail : stamaryuocc@sympatico.ca
Parish Priest : Priest Taras Kinash
Priest e-mail : priestkinash@yahoo.com
Church office e-mail : ukrorthodoxottawa@gmail.com
Parish President : Viktor Stetskevych
Youth Programme Coordinator : Phil Staniewski
Rental of the parish hall : E-mail : rentals1000@gmail.com ; web-site : www.1000byron.org ; telephone : 613-722-1372
Directions :
The Temple is located on Byron Avenue, just south of Richmond Road, and about 2 blocks to the east of Woodroffe Avenue. Just east of Woodroffe Avenue, Byron Avenue runs near to and parallel to Richmond Road. It is slightly south of Richmond Road, and there is generous access between the 2.
There is a parking lot, and there is parking available on the nearby streets.
By car :
From the Sir John A MacDonald Parkway, turn south at Woodroffe Avenue, and turn left at Richmond Avenue. There is access to Byron Avenue to the right, on which there is parking available. The Temple is visible to the right.
From Carling Avenue, turn north on Woodroffe Avenue. Turn right at Richmond Avenue, and veer right onto Byron Avenue, where parking is available. The Temple is visible to the right.
From farther south, from other east-west streets, turn north on Woodroffe Avenue and drive north to Carling Avenue. Turn right at the light at the T-junction, and then turn left immediately at the next traffic light, where Woodroffe continues northwards. Drive to Richmond Avenue, and veer right onto Byron Avenue, where parking is available. The Temple is visible to the right.
From other, more distant places, follow the Queensway (Highway #417) to the Woodroffe Avenue Exit. Turn to the north, and follow Woodroffe Avenue to Carling Avenue. Turn right at the light at the T-junction, and then turn left immediately at the next traffic light, where Woodroffe Avenue continues northwards. Drive to Richmond Avenue, and veer right onto Byron Avenue, where parking is available. The Temple is visible to the right.
By bus or LRT :
Consult OCTranspo. There is bus and LRT service along the nearby Richmond Road, and buses along Woodroffe Avenue to the west of the Temple.
By rail :
Ottawa may be reached from Montréal and points south and east, and from Toronto and points south and west by VIA Rail.
E-mail : priestkinash@yahoo.com
References
A Brief History of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Martynowych, Orest T. “Ukrainians in Canada : The Formative Period, 1891-1924” (Edmonton : Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, University of Alberta, 1991. ISBN10 : 0920862764 ; ISBN13 : 978-0920862766.
Parish website ; original material
Sametz, William, “My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056.
Yereniuk, Prof. Roman, “A Short Historical Outline of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (UOCC)”
Yuzyk, Paul, “Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada 1918-1951”
Additional information :
“Collection of Material Relating to the 50th Anniversary of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918-1968” (Winnipeg : Consistory of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1968).
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, Ottawa, Orthodox World listing
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, Ottawa, Parish web-site
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, Ottawa, Parish listing
Eastern Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Orthodox Church of Constantinople web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Church of Constantinople
Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)
Metropolitan Polykarp (Sikorsky)
Metropolitan Ilarion I (Ohienko)
Metropolitan Michael (Khoroshy)
Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)
Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk)
Encyclopedia of Ukraine UGOC history
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Wikipedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Wikipedia article about Ukrainian Diaspora
Ukrainian Immigration to Canada
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ottawa
Video : Pan-Orthodox Concert in Ottawa (2015)
Royal Couple visit Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral in Ottawa (26 May, 2022)
Metropolitan Ilarion visits Ontario late September and early October (2022) [photos]
Metropolitan Ilarion served the Divine Liturgy at the Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin in Ottawa (2 October, 2022)
Parish newsletter, November, 2022
Enthronement of Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (19 November, 2022)
https://www.uocc.ca/primatial-encyclical-annoucement-of-the-adoption-of-the-revised-julian-calendar-by-the-ukrainian-orthodox-church-of-canada/ Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) announces Change of Calendar] (1 December, 2023)
Parish newsletter (February, 2024)
















