Rhein SK Holy Assumption Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1902
Rhein, Saskatchewan, Church and Cemetery of the Holy Assumption (Dormition), 1902 ("Boychuk")
Prehistory and foundation of the parish, 1897
The Temple of the Holy Assumption (the preferred word is "Dormition") of the Holy Theotokos, Rhein, Saskatchewan, Canada, along with a separate bell-house and cemetery with about 50 graves, is located in a farming area 37 km (23 mi) northeast of Yorkton, Saskatchewan.
The parish began to be organised very soon after the establishment of the First Ukrainian Block Settlement in the Crooked Lake District of Assiniboia (1897). Amongst the the people who in 1897 settled in this region and established the parish were the following families :
Boychuks ; Demianiuks ; Ilchuks ; Kadyschuks ; Klewczuks ; Maczuszaks ; Matulyczes ; Oystryks ; Prokopetzes
Georgi Ilchuk and his wife Anna (Kadyschuk) were amongst the founders. They had taken the opportunity offered by Dr Joseph Oleskiw to emigrate to Canada. They were led to this region by an associate, the immigration agent Cyril Genik of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The other main destinations for the arrival of Ukrainians under the Oleskiw initiative were the rural regions around Dauphin, Manitoba and those to the west and northeast of Edmonton, Alberta. The first homes to be built, then, were dug-outs (also called "bordei"), which were covered by a mixture of logs and sod. This was typical everywhere on the prairies.
It has been written that, after Ukraine and Russia, Canada has the highest population in the world of Ukrainians and persons of Ukrainian descent.
Construction of the Temple, 1902
In 1902, the first Temple was built on the present site before the parishioners constructed their own buildings. It was constructed of logs. As was typical of such settlements, the faithful people would build only temporary structures for themselves, then a permanent structure for the Temple in which they worship, and then a permanent home for themselves.
In the manner of other local parishes, this Temple and cemetery have the nickname "Boychuk". This is so, because Wasyl Boychuk had freely given the land out of his own property to be used to construct a Temple for the Lord, and to prepare a cemetery.
Formal establishment, 1908
By 1908, it had become possible officially to acquire the Certificate of Title for the land. The original trustees were :
Danylo Demianiuk ; Jacob Klewczuk ; Oleksa Maczuszak ; Stepan Matulycz ; Georgi Prokopetz.
The post-office of the region was “Dniester”, named after a river in the Ukraine-Romania region (which before was also the border between Romania and the Russian Empire). Most of the people who lived in the region around Rhein in the early 1900s came originally from the northern parts of the province of Bucovina, which at that time was part of Romania, and also the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It was a province in which the more northerly residents spoke Ukrainian and Russian, whereas the majority spoke Romanian. As is often the case, many people spoke more than one language.
The Temple was initially served by a priest from a monastery which was at that time functioning in Burgis, Saskatchewan. It is probably with the help of Cyril Genik that people learnt that a local farmer, Wasyl Andriychuk, had received formation as a cantor in Bucovina. He was sent to the Burgis monastery, to the new parish of the Holy Trinity in Winnipeg, Manitoba, or to the Monastery of the Holy Ascension in Sifton, Manitoba for further formation. Priests from the Sifton monastery also would serve in the Boychuk church. Then Wasyl Andriychuk was ordained to the Holy Priesthood, and he continued to serve the parish for many years.
Fire ; reconstruction, 1915
In 1915, the original Temple burnt, and the parishioners decided to rebuild.
In 1916, a new Temple was constructed on the same site. This one was made from sawn lumber. In this Temple, the Holy Table is elevated on a step, which is typical of many such Temples in that region, and not uncommon in Europe.
The parish was very active during many decades. However, as with many other such rural Temples, the depopulation of the farmlands resulting from mechanisation and amalgamation reduced the local population steadily until now.
Bell-house, 1917
The bell-house was constructed in 1917, at the time of the reconstruction of the Temple.
When the community desired to find a successor, a request was first made to the metropolitan (of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America) in New York City, USA. This was followed by the assignment of a priest and by a visit by the bishop in Canada. This bishop (the first bishop actually able to visit the Temple) was Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov) of Winnipeg and Canada. His visit was in 1927, and he was brought to the Temple by horse-and-wagon.
Holy Dormition Temple (left) ; Iconostas (right)
100 years : 2002
On Sunday, 25 August, 2002, Bishop Seraphim (Storheim) of Ottawa arrived at Holy Assumption (Dormition) Temple near Rhein, Saskatchewan, in order to lead the celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of the parish. He was assisted by Priest Rodion Luciuk of Yorkton, pastor also of the Holy Assumption parish. The Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served first. Afterwards, there was the Lesser Blessing of Waters, a Panikhida (memorial service) for the departed Faithful, the blessing of the centennial cairn, and the blessing of the graves with the holy water. Following this, those present received refreshment in the form of a bountiful dinner.
The following article was published in the Spring, 2003, edition of the "Canadian Orthodox Messenger". It was written by Esther G Juce, with assistance of Archpriest Robert Kennaugh, Priest Rodion Luciuk, and Howard R Engel.
Sunday, 25 August, 2002, marked the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Holy Assumption (i.e., Dormition) of the Theotokos Parish, also known as the ‘Boychuk Church’, north of Rhein, Saskatchewan. The day had arrived for the few active parishioners after much planning and there was much excitement. Once very active, the parish had fallen on hard times about two decades ago, with no priest in the area, and most of the members having moved away to the larger centres. Encouraged by Father Orest Olekshy, and then by Father Dennis Pihach, the parish continued to meet once a year on the Sunday closest to its feast day and now it was a hundred years old ! Planning had begun over a year ago, and there was much discussion on whether the church should be painted, a cairn built, or the floor repaired. People wondered if anyone would come, whether it could be afforded, and who would do it ? After a general meeting, a number of people stepped forward to offer help, even those not so active in the past, or now active in other parishes. Now the time had come, the church was painted, the cairn built, the grass cut, the tent set up. Anxiety began to set in. As it was heard who was attending, would there be enough food, enough chairs, and how would everyone fit into the tiny church ? And then how is the bishop greeted ? The last bishop anyone could remember had come in 1927 ! How does one greet a Bishop with bread and salt ? What does one say ? Someone remembered a red carpet and little girls with flower petals. Was this proper ? Was it required ? After many questions to Father Rodion Luciuk, the priest in charge of the church (and likewise Father Rodion to His Grace), most of the details fell into place. It was decided that since the last bishop arrived by horse, an upgrade was due, but not one too big. The final result ? Bishop Seraphim was chauffered in a Model A Ford ! Young girls in traditional Ukrainian dress greeted His Grace with flower petals. Metro Boychuk offered the traditional greeting of bread and salt. He is one of the few remaining active members of this little country parish (he is also an active member of St Mark’s, Yorkton) and has lived in the area all his life. Being a descendant of the pious Boychuk who donated the land to the church, he was chosen for this honour as he is one of the very few that still helps to maintain the church every year. The Boychuk who donated the land was a cantor and is remembered for coming to the church each day to pray. With the blessing of His Grace, the main part of the liturgy was celebrated outside under very warm and brilliant sunshine and a blue dome of a sky, with the little church serving as the altar. Father Rodion Luciuk of Saint Mark’s, Yorkton, SK ; a priest visiting from L’viv, Ukraine, Father Nikholai Petrushchak ; and Father Orest Olekshy and Deacon Taras Papish, both of Holy Resurrection Sobor, Saskatoon, concelebrated with His Grace. Brother Innocent (Green) of Yorkton led the choir, mostly of people from Saint Mark’s. In his sermon Vladyka emphasised that we must always look to and depend on the Lord Who saves us. He suggested that we follow the pioneers for examples who, even in their daily speech, demonstrated their reliance upon God : 'Slava Iisusu Khrystu — Slava Na Viki'. ('Glory be to Jesus Christ — Glory forever'.) when they greeted each other ; and 'Slava Bohu !' ('Glory to God!') when they found something that was lost. The pioneers also had their priorities in order : one of the first things that they would do was to build a church, even when they still lived in 'soddies' and other makeshift huts. Towards the end of the liturgy, many saw an intersection of two clouds in an otherwise clear, bright blue sky, forming the sign of the Cross. This phenomenon highlights how the Eternal intersects the temporal every time we celebrate the liturgy. After the liturgy, His Grace served a panikhida for the reposed, blessed water, and subsequently blessed the church, the faithful, and the 141 graves in the adjacent cemetery. Approximately 300 people attended, some coming from as far away as Victoria, BC. Many present had been baptised and/or married in this little parish. All were invited to a sumptuous Ukrainian feast. During the short program after the meal, His Grace presented a gramota to the parish. A letter from Her Honour the former Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan, Sylvia Fedoruk, was read. Ms Fedoruk has some relatives buried in the cemetery. Thanks were given to all who attended and had helped in preparing for the celebration. Everyone enjoyed this most festive, memorable and inspiring weekend ! Thanks and praise be to God !
Parish history and list of founders (left) ; Centennial plaque (right)
Heritage Site status, 2003
In 2003, application was made to the Reeve and Council of the Rural Municipality of Sliding Hills #27, that Holy Assumption Church be designated to be a Heritage Site of Saskatchewan. The application was approved. The site was included in the Canadian Register on 2012/11/29.
In 2004, with the help of a Heritage grant from the province, a new roof was installed on the Temple. Other major upgrades included : in 2006 the floor of the Temple was repaired and carpeted ; in 2011, vinyl siding was installed and the exterior painted ; and in 2012, the graveyard was properly levelled.
There are presently a few families still living in the area, who have a historical relationship with this Temple. They all are active members of Saint Mark’s Church in Yorkton, Saskatchewan. The building and graveyard are well maintained. George and Nelson Boychuk, descendants of Wasyl Boychuk, and Steve and Orest Machushek are presently amongst the leaders of the parish. John J Oystryk also remains active. He is the son of Ivan Oystryk, the son of Wasyl Oystryk and his wife Paraska (Ilchuk).
By 2022, new gates had been installed at the entrance of the parish property.
120 years : 2022
On Sunday, 28 August, 2022, the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, approximately 80 persons were present at the Temple in order with joy to mark the 120th anniversary of the parish. Some had travelled from as far away as British Columbia and Québec. Shannon Leson made it possible for all to hear the beautiful service by providing a sound system for the services (many had to stand out-of-doors (there were tents) because the Temple is small). Subdeacon James Nicholas Davis of Holy Resurrection Sobor in Saskatoon was the photographer for the events.
Before the beginning of the Festal Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) of Ottawa and Canada was greeted by parish president Nelson Boychuk, who presented the traditional Ukrainian gift of kolach and salt.
After the formal vesting of the archbishop, Vladyka Irénée served the Divine Liturgy together with Archpriest Rodion Luciuk of Yorkton and Deacon Denis Letunovsky of Québec. The Altar servers (acolytes) were Ian Bodnaryk, Nikita Sereda, Cody Vangen and Wade Vangen. During the service, there were special prayers for Ukraine which was suffering from war.
At the conclusion of the service, Archbishop Irénée spoke to the Faithful about the blessing of “seeing how our ancestors sacrificed to establish this church and many other churches of this kind across our country. Through faith, even the impossible becomes possible if we call on the Lord for help”.
Vladyka Irénée giving the homily
Afterwards, at a table out-of-doors, Archbishop Irénée served a Panikhida (memorial service) for the departed founders, benefactors and Faithful of the parish, and for other departed Faithful. Then the graves of the cemetery were each blessed.
At the Panikhida
Father Rodion blessing graves
Following this, a bountiful "pot-luck" dinner was served for all who were attending on that day.
120th anniversary participants
Holy Assumption (Dormition) Cemetery, 1902
When the land for the Temple was donated in 1902, and the construction began, the organisation of a cemetery was also undertaken. A cemetery was of high priority because deaths could occur at any any time. The rate of infant mortality was at that time rather high ; there were occasional epidemics ; and fatal accidents could occur.
The Holy Assumption Cemetery is located at land description site on the SW-34-28-2-W2 (GPS co-ordinates : 51.46120, -102.21469). It is situated 12,8 km (8 mi) north and about 1.5 km (1 mi) west of Rhein, Saskatchewan, in the Rural Municipality of Sliding Hills.
In 2023, there were 144 grave-markers (although some additional graves may well be unmarked because of the passage of time). The earliest marker indicates a repose in 1906.
Particular parish information
This parish is a part of the Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nunavut Deanery of the Archdiocese of Canada, The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is the Archpriest Gregory Scratch. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).
The community follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, 15/28 August.
In 2023, the priest who is responsible for and serves the community annually (28 August) is the Archpriest Rodion Luciuk.
Address :
The Temple is situated at Land Description site SW34-28-2-W2 in the RM of Sliding Hills, Saskatchewan.
Directions :
The Temple is located 12.8 km (8 mi) north of Rhein, Saskatchewan, and about 1.6 km (1 mi) west, at the Land Description site SW-34-28-2-W2, in the RM of Sliding Hills.
From Yorkton, Saskatchewan, drive about 24 km (15 mi) north on Highway #9. Turn right, and drive 16 km (10 mi) east to the Temple.
The site is located at SW34-28-2-W2.
310, Circlebrooke Drive
Yorkton, Saskatchewan
S3N 2T1
Telephone : 306-782-2482
E-mail : fatherrod@sasktel.net
References
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Additional information :
Orthodoxwiki listing of Orthodox parishes in Saskatchewan
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)
Metropolitan Jonah (Paffhausen)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Archdiocese of Canada Facebook
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America (OCA)
Orthodox Church in America web-site
Findagrave reference to Holy Assumption of Saint Mary Orthodox Cemetery, Rhein, Saskatchewan
Rural Municipality of Sliding Hills No. 276 By-law 2-2003 (Historic Site).
Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport Heritage Conservation Branch 1919, Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK S4P 4H2 File: MHP 2241 (Historic Site)
Wikipedia article about "Ukrainian Canadians"
Canadian Encyclopedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Wikipedia article about Rhein, Saskatchewan
Celebration of 120 Years at Holy Assumption Church, Saskatchewan (28 August, 2022)
SaskToday.ca article : “Local church marks milestone with special service” (7 September, 2022)
'August blessings in Manitoba, Saskatchewan' in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Spring, 2003), pp. 2-4.

























