Richmond Hill ON Saint Seraphim Orthodox Church 2000

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Saint Mary R H S.jpg

Richmond Hill, Ontario, Saint Seraphim Orthodox Church, 2000


[Previously : Toronto, Ontario, Church of Saint Seraphim of Sarov Russian Orthodox Church, 2000.]


Alexei may be spelt Alexis, Alexiy, Aleksey, Alexius, Alexios.


Prehistory

After the celebration of the millennial anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ in 1988, and after the subsequent collapse of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) in 1991, there began a rather rapid increase in the number of Russian-speaking persons in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) of Ontario, Canada. They emigrated from the Russian Republic and from other former Soviet republics, as well as from Israel. There had been a much smaller immigration of refugees for some years before this, but now the influx greatly increased, and it was approaching its peak.

Russian parishes, associations and organisations that had been established as part of the primary waves of settlement helped to receive this, the largest wave of Russian-speaking migrants, to arrive in Toronto. The area around the intersection of Jane Street and Steeles Avenue West in North York became an important receiving area. The community of new-arrivals there created new institutions, including newspapers and organisations for the expression of traditional Russian art, music, theatre and dance. Because of the restrictions imposed on the Russian Orthodox Church in the USSR during the communist period, this new wave was less inclined to be in church ; but those of the Orthodox Christian Faith nevertheless played an important role in the community. In time, others began to find the Church as well.

From the beginning, Nicholas L Ignatieff was a central figure amongst the many in Christ the Saviour Sobor in Toronto who were trying to help the new-arrivals to settle. Nicholas (one of the representatives of an earlier Russian emigration) was a grandson of the last Minister of Education of the Russian Empire Pavel Nikolaevich Ignatiev, considered to be one of the brightest representatives of the earlier Russian emigrations.

One of the agencies that Nicholas helped to develop was the “Russian Orthodox Immigration Services of Canada”. Involved in its activities were both Christ the Saviour Russian Orthodox Sobor, and Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church. Nicholas (with others) helped the newcomers with the inevitable difficulties in coping with the paper-work, and with the government agencies. Amongst the concerns which needed to be addressed were assorted difficulties faced by clergy who were arriving as refugees, and by those clergy whom Bishop Seraphim (Storheim) had invited to immigrate for parish-service. Christ the Saviour Sobor was a focal-point of this service. Nicholas did more than raise concerns in meetings. He personally took charge of the plight of many persons in need, and he helped them in every way possible. Indeed, he was able to find the right ways for many persons to become productive citizens of Canada. In this regard also, he served in the Justice and Peace Commission of the Canadian Council of Churches.


Christ the Saviour Sobor Toronto exterior.jpg Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church Toronto exterior.jpg

Russian Christ the Saviour Sobor (left) ; Russian Holy Trinity Church (right)


In the course of their settling in Toronto, there developed steadily a desire amongst the newcomers for a new parish.

There were 2 primary reasons for this. The first and more important was the distance most of the newcomers had to travel (many under conditions of poverty), since most of them lived in far northern and remote parts of the Greater Toronto Area. The public transit system presented extra difficulties for travel on Sundays. There were 2 parishes in central Toronto which were available : Christ the Saviour Russian Orthodox Cathedral on Manning Avenue (Archdiocese of Canada, The Orthodox Church in America) and Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church on Henry Street (Diocese of Montréal and Canada, Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia). The second and more subtle reason was the difference in perspective and personal experience between the newcomers and the people of the previous immigrations. The people of the previous immigrations had already assimilated in many ways into Canadian society.

Eventually, Igumen Nestor (Mikhailetchko) arrived at the Christ the Saviour Sobor. He had earlier arriven in Canada from Ukraine and Latvia, where he had previously served, and he had begun his service in Canada in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (primarily in Winnipeg, Manitoba). He then moved to Toronto, after which he was eventually transferred to the Archdiocese of Canada in The Orthodox Church in America. He served for some time in the sobor. His arrival occurred at about the same time as the great increase in numbers of immigrants in Toronto.

Founding of the first Church of Saint Seraphim of Sarov in Toronto, 2000

Numerous appeals from believers to the Canadian Archdiocese of The Orthodox Church in America, supported by the priest and parishioners of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral (the oldest Russian Orthodox parish in Toronto) were met by the diocesan administration with understanding. Therefore, the blessing was given by Bishop Seraphim (Storheim) to establish a new parish of The Orthodox Church in America in the North York area of Toronto. With a large and rapidly growing community of people from Russia, Eastern Europe and Asia settling in the northern part of the Greater Toronto, there was a great need for a local Orthodox presence. The parish was named after Saint Seraphim of Sarov, a saint venerated throughout the Christian world.

A significant role in the establishment of the parish was played by Nicholas Ignatieff, who furthered his earlier efforts by supporting this development. Using his broadest connections and highest authority, he, under his personal guarantee, persuaded the Saint Theodore of Canterbury Anglican Church, an Anglican parish not far from Bathurst Street and Steeles Avenue, to grant tenancy to the Saint Seraphim of Sarov Orthodox Church.

Services began to be offered in March, 2000. However, since the parish was renting, and since the services were held in the main part of the church building, there would usually be only one service per week, and this Divine Liturgy would be served in the afternoon, beginning at 2:00 p.m. All other parish activities would follow afterwards. On special occasions, such as the Feast of Pascha, the Altar Feast-day, or other greater feast-days, special events would be organised for the larger community. Despite the unusual time, the attendance was soon numerous. The Igumen Nestor (Mikhailetchko), the first pastor, was an active pastor, teacher, and visitor to parishioners.

For the first 2 years of its life, the parish survived, thanks to the generous support of Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Toronto. This cathedral community donated everything the new parish needed for worship, including valuable icons and a large sum of money. The Orthodox Church in America also gave a considerable grant for parish development.

The convenient location of this building, in the heart of a substantial Russian-speaking Toronto neighbourhood, made the parish viable. Therefore, the community grew quickly, and by 2006, it had grown from being a mission to being an official parish. Contrary to the predictions of skeptics, this community became one of the largest Russian-speaking Orthodox Christian parishes in Toronto. It was only at that time, after immigration, that many of the Russian-speakers were at last finding the Orthodox Christian Faith. The parish of Saint Seraphim of Sarov was glad to offer a spiritual home to many of the newcomers, and the parishioners also welcomed Russian-speakers of other ethnic and religious backgrounds. Many embraced the Orthodox Christian Faith : many entered the Orthodox Christian Church from atheism, and a large number of converts who came from Judaism and Islam also received Holy Baptism.

An Orthodox Brotherhood named for Saint Herman of Alaska was established within the parish. It organised a Christmas matinée ("yolka") for children every year. The brotherhood also provided the Faithful of the parish with Christian literature, icons, and other items necessary for prayer, and they arranged pilgrimages. By the efforts of the brothers, every Sunday, courses for catechumens were offered, as well as talks on Orthodox culture, and lectures on iconography.


St Theodore of Canterbury North York 1.jpg First Saint Seraphim iconostasS.jpg

First place of worship (left) ; First iconostas (right)


A distinctive feature of the Saint Seraphim of Sarov parish from the first days of its existence was the friendly, joyous atmosphere. Most parishioners were well-educated people with extensive life experience. Many came from major cities such as Saint Petersburg, Moscow, Ekaterinburg, Kharkov, Riga, Odessa, Jerusalem, and so on. The congregation included many scientists, even some world-renowned ones, artists, and musicians. People were impressed by the lack of ostentatious piety, rigour, hypocrisy, and rudeness in maintaining the proper conduct in church. Moreover, the Christian spirit of the parish and the absence of squabbling, gossip, and petty quibbles quickly attracted to the parish representatives of the “old emigration” as well. Amongst them stood out the beloved-by-all (now reposed in Christ) Fedor and Euphrosynya Taranets, who were god-children of the Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna, sister of the last Russian Tsar Nicholas II. The Grand Duchess and her husband, themselves refugees, had been parishioners at Christ the Saviour Cathedral from the 1940s until their repose. Fedor and Tatiana lived a faithful and exemplary life amongst the parishioners.

Separation ; schism of the former rector, 2012

“Any good deed is not without temptation”, and the weakness of our human nature makes us vulnerable. It was not a small spiritual assault which then came against the pastor and the parishioners.

On Forgiveness Sunday, 13/26 February, 2012, disaster struck. For some reason, the then Igumen Nestor (Mihailechko), drove away the Bishop Irénée (Rochon) when he arrived at the door of the church. He was making his previously-announced archpastoral visitn, and he was intending to serve the Divine Liturgy. Father Nestor also announced his secession from the canonical Orthodox Church. He had hoped to lead all the parishioners into this newly-created schism, which was now a supposed participant in the Kyivan Patriarchate.

Regrouping ; re-opening : Saint Seraphim Orthodox Church in Richmond Hill

However, the Lord arranged matters differently. Despite the lack of information, many parishioners, including almost all the readers and Altar-servers, as well as the choir director and almost all the choristers, were able to understand the situation and they asked Bishop Irénée (Rochon) to assign a new priest so that the canonical parish could continue its activities.

Their requests were heard, and the care of the parish was entrusted to Priest Alexei Vassioushkine, who had been serving as the second priest of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Toronto. He was transferred to serve as the Priest-in-charge of the new community, which was now called “Saint Seraphim Orthodox Church”.

The former rector of the parish was then necessarily and correctly banned from serving by Bishop Irénée (Rochon), the Administrator of the Archdiocese of Canada. Later, by the decision of the spiritual court of the archdiocese, and by the decision of the Holy Synod of Bishops, the former Igumen Nestor was deposed from all functions of the Holy Priesthood, as notified in a letter sent by Bishop Irénée. From that moment on, according to the canons of the Orthodox Church, all sacraments performed by Nestor were devoid of Grace and without effect.

Nevertheless, from the very beginning of this new era in the history of the parish, the faithful parishioners faced considerable difficulties. It was discovered that while preparing his departure, the monk Nestor, supported by a small circle of people close to him, had secretly registered an independent organisation (corporation), to which the lease of the church premises had been transferred. Hence, the canonical parish was literally turned out onto the street.

Divinely-assisted new beginning, 2012

Thanks to God’s help, and to the dedicated, selfless efforts of the parishioners, the activity of the canonical parish did not stop.

Just in time for the Feast of Pascha, 2012, a beautiful building was found, in which the parish could begin to serve. This was an old Anglican chapel (Saint Mary’s) in the heart of Richmond Hill. Therefore, the Feast of Pascha in 2012 was the day of the true resurrection and re-birth of the parish.


DSC1710.jpg The new space


Since that time, the Divine Liturgy has been served in the Saint Seraphim parish at 12:30 p.m. every Sunday, and other services have also been offered. This late time of beginning reflects the fact that the quarters are rented, and that the parishioners must accommodate the requirements of the owners.

After the Divine Liturgy, the congregation participates in a shared meal, and there are talks and discussions about spiritual and everyday topics. The Christmas matinees (“Yolkas”) for children have been revived, and “Maslanitsa” (“Mardi Gras” or “Shrove Tuesday” in the West) is celebrated every year on the last Sunday before Great Lent. Now, there are services during the first week of Lent and during Passion Week before the Feast of Pasha. This is an important improvement, since these services had not been offered earlier, even during the "well-off" times of the parish.


Saint Seraphim Richmond Hill S.jpg Divine Liturgy


The Altar Feast-day of the parish is celebrated during the first days of August (usually on the Sunday nearest 1 August). This occasion has acquired a particular importance in the life of the parish. On this day, it is customary that the ruling bishop of the Archdiocese of Canada would make a visit to the parish.

In 2012, Bishop Irénée (Rochon) brought for veneration a fragment of the relics of the patron saint of the parish, Saint Seraphim of Sarov.

In 2013, Vladyka Irénée brought relics for veneration of the great saint of Russia and North America, Saint John of Shanghai and San Francisco.

The parishioners, members of the charitable association “Bagovest” (“Good News”), organise parish picnics and tea parties, and participation in various town events.

In the summer of 2013, a summer camp for children was organised for the first time.


Priest Alexei Vassiouchine S.jpg Priest Alexei Vassiouchkine


Visit of Bishop Mstislav (Diachina) of Tikhvin, Russia, 2013

On Sunday, 29 September, 2013, Bishop Mstislav (Diachina) of Tikhvin and Ladeinoye Polye (Russian Orthodox Church), who was travelling as a pilgrim in the USA and Canada (with the blessing of Patriarch Kirill (Gundyaev)), visited the parish of Saint Seraphim (with the blessing of Bishop Irénée (Rochon)).

Bishop Mstislav (a relative of a former rector of Christ the Saviour Sobor in Toronto), served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy together with Priest Alexei Vassiouchkine, the rector. At the end of the Divine Liturgy, Bishop Mstislav presented to the parish a sacred gift : a copy of the Theotokos of Tikhvin Icon.

Archpastoral visit, August, 2014

On 3 August, 2014, Bishop Irénée (Rochon) visited the parish of Saint Seraphim in Richmond Hill on the occasion of the parish Altar Feast-day (transferred to Sunday). Bishop Irénée served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy with the Faithful of the parish, and he was assisted by Priest Alexei Vassiouchkine, the rector, as well as Protodeacon Nazari Polataiko and Deacon Andrey Boldireff.


Archpastoral visitS.jpg Archibshop Irenee, Protodeacon Nazari Polataiko, Deacon Andrey Boldireff 2.png

Bishop Irénée entrance (left) ; Bishop Irénée with Protodeacon Nazari Polataiko, Deacon Andrey Boldireff (right)


Vl Irenee Fr Alexei Dn Andrey 8468 2.png Vladyka Irénée ; Priest Alexei Vassiouchkine ; Deacon Andrey Boldireff


Archpastoral visit, 2019

On Sunday, 20 October, 2019, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) made an archpstoral visit to this parish in Richmond.

Vladyka Irénée served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy with the Faithful of the parish, and he was assisted by Priest Alexei Vassiouchkine, the rector, Deacon Denis Letunovsky, and various Altar-servers.


StSeraphimRchmndHll2019 2.jpg Vladyka Irénée serving


StSeraphimRchmndHllParisioners2019 2.jpg Parishioners, 2019


The leadership of the parish has remained confident that the parish has a huge potential for development. By God’s mercy, it is well-situated in the heart of Richmond Hill, and it is easy to find. The leadership also has understood that much work is required in order to fulfil this potential. Considerable efforts have been made to educate the parishioners about first-portion giving, and to solicit contribution from them of their time and their talents. External aid that was once available no longer exists, and the parishioners are responsible for their own welfare and their own future.

During the years of his responsibility as the rector, the Priest Alexei Vassiouchkine worked also in a secular profession in order to maintain his family.

In 2017, the parish was at last granted the status of a charity organisation under Revenue Canada. Official receipts for donations were at last possible.

May God bless everyone who works for His holy house !

Following is a description of the new facility in which the parish began to assemble, as described by the Anglican parish itself.

 Details about the historic chapel :
 Saint Mary’s Anglican Church is unique amongst the churches in Richmond Hill’s historic core, in that the 
 congregation’s first actual church building, erected in 1872, is still standing.  Richmond Hill was 
 established in that same year.  When the new building was constructed in 1964, the older edifice was preserved 
 and incorporated into the church complex as a chapel.
 
 Until 1872, Anglicans in Richmond Hill had attended services at Holy Trinity Church in Thornhill, built in 
 1830, or they met in Dr. Duncumb’s Hall, a red brick meeting hall built by Dr. John Duncumb in about 1857.  
 Although some records indicated that the Hall had been destroyed by fire in 1870, it was, in fact, restored.  
 It still stands today at 10027, Yonge Street, directly across the street from Saint Mary’s.  In 1878, Dr. 
 Duncumb’s brother and nephew donated a bell to the church in his memory.  The church wardens of the time wrote 
 that, ‘In his hall, our congregation was first formed, and long continued to worship’.
 
 In 1871, John Arnold deeded land for the purpose of building a church.  Saint Mary’s held its first services 
 in October, 1872.  Built of buff brick, it was fashioned after Saint James Cathedral in Toronto, but naturally 
 on a much smaller scale.  The church property was expanded by another donation of a lot by John Arnold in 
 1879, and a final donation of land by the Arnold family in 1926. 
 
 The church complex was expanded over the years.  In 1929, a basement was excavated under the 1872 edifice, and 
 the Wrixon Hall and Sunday School rooms were added in 1956.  Finally in 1964, a new and larger church building
 was constructed, and the historic 1872 structure was conserved for use as a chapel. 


History-gallery-6-e1551738750177 2.png The historic Saint Mary's Chapel

Parish activities

Pilgrimage to the Holy Relics of Saint Seraphim of Sarov in Rawdon, Québec, 2018

On 6-8 October, 2018, during the Thanksgiving weekend, parishioners of Saint Seraphim Orthodox Church in Richmond Hill, Ontario, made a pilgrimage to the town of Rawdon, Québec, where relics of their heavenly patron Saint Seraphim of Sarov rest in a church that bears his name.

The pilgrims were led by Archpriest Nicolas Boldireff, whose life was closely related to Rawdon. They also visited Archbishop Irénée (Rochon), who, together with the archdiocesan staff, gave them a warm welcome.


Rawdon St Seraphim 20181021-wa0010 2.png Img-20181021-wa0001 2.png

Rawdon, Saint Seraphim Church and Cemetery (left) ; Saint Seraphim Skete (right)


Saint Seraphim of Sarov Church Rawdon Quebec 1.png Temple of Saint Seraphim

2020 Coronavirus-19 closure of parishes

Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments with regard to the Covid-19 pandemic, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020.

Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, and the directions of Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) that the civilian rules be obeyed, this parish was unable to have any more of the usual services in the Temple until the lifting of the restrictions. These measures are similar to those that were taken in the past, in various parts of the Orthodox world, during the time of a plague. The parish was able to resume liturgical services in the summertime, but with the conditions of social-distancing, mask-wearing and hand-sanitising, and the conditions surrounding the virus affected the parish, parishioners and all society for the remainder of the year.

Bereavement, 2024

On Wednesday, 22 May, 2024, Archpriest Nicolas Boldireff fell asleep in the Lord at age 78 (1946-2024) after a long illness.

Before 2020, Father Nicolas had retired to Toronto, and he was attached to Saint Seraphim Church. As was the case wherever he went, the parishioners had warmed to him quickly. He came to be beloved, respected, and appreciated for his kindness and long pastoral experience. When he reposed in the Lord, he was nearing 50 years of pastoral service.

On Tuesday, 28 May, 2024, there was a visitation, with a Panikhida, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Highland Funeral Home (Markham Chapel, 10 Cachet Woods Court, Markham ON L6C 3G1).

On Wednesday, 29 May, 2024, the Funeral Service for the Burial of a Priest was offered at 11:00 a.m. at Saint Seraphim Church, by Father Alexei Vassiouchkine.

Following the funeral obsequies in Toronto, on Saturday, 1 June, 2024, at 2:00 p.m., the body of Archpriest Nicolas Boldireff was interred at the Saint Seraphim Cemetery (3494 15e Avenue, Rawdon, Québec).


2024-0522-vrev-nicolas-boldireff.jpg Archpriest Nicolas Boldireff

Particular parish information

The Divine Liturgy is served at 11:00 a.m. on Sundays. Confessions are heard ½ hour before the beginning of the Divine Liturgy. For other services, see the monthly schedule on the web-site.

If someone does not have a car and/or if there is a difficulty about transportation to the church, please contact Father Alexei.

This parish is a part of the Deanery of Ontario of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is the Archpriest Geoffrey Ready. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The language of services is Church Slavonic.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Saint Seraphim of Sarov, 19/30 July (glorification).

In 2025, the rector of the parish was the Archpriest Alexei Vassiouchkine.


Address of worship services :

Saint Seraphim Orthodox Church

at Saint Mary’s Anglican Church

10030, Yonge Street

Richmond Hill, Ontario

L4C 1T8

Telephones : 416-604-3658 ; 416-562-5512

E-mail : priestalexei@gmail.com

Web-sites : (in Russian) ; (in English)

Facebook


Parish mailing address :

Saint Seraphim Orthodox Church

c/o 60 Southport Street #915

Toronto, Ontario

M6S 3N4



Directions :

Richmond Hill is situated 19 km (12 mi) straight north of Toronto, along Yonge Street. However, this takes much more time by car than does a longer route which uses expressways.

The main nearby intersection is Yonge Street and Major MacKenzie Drive.

By car :

Drive north or south on Highway #404. Exit on Major MacKenzie Drive. Turn to the west and drive to Yonge Street. Saint Mary’s church buildings are located at the north-west corner of the intersection of Major MacKenzie Drive and Yonge Street.

From downtown Toronto, near Union Station, drive eastwards on the Gardiner Expressway. Following the signs, keep to the left and continue northwards to and along the Don Valley Parkway/Expressway past Highway #401. The expressway then becomes Highway #404. Take the exit on Major MacKenzie Drive. Turn to the west and drive to Yonge Street. Saint Mary’s church buildings are located at the north-west corner of the intersection of Major MacKenzie Drive and Yonge Street. This distance is 38 km (24 mi), and the driving time is about 40 minutes.

There is a large parking lot which has an entry off Major Mackenzie Drive (50 m or 54.6 yds west of the intersection, north side). Access to the parking lot (and for most purposes) is from McLatchy Lane on the north side of Major Mackenzie Drive, just west of Yonge Street. Look carefully for the sign. Parking is also possible on Yonge Street. If absolutely necessary, there is also the parking lot of the local library (across the street on Major Mackenzie). Please do not park in the fire lanes/routes.

GO Train :

There is GO Train service (consult GO Transit) from central Toronto to Richmond Hill. The stop is 1.5 km (.9 mi) east of the church.

Consult York Region Transit regarding local bus routes. Several buses stop at the intersection of Yonge and Major McKenzie.



Archpriest Alexei Vassiouchkine

Telephone : 416-604-3658 ; 416-562-5512

E-mails : priestalexei@gmail.com ; avassiouchkine@sympatico.ca

References

Parish web-site


Additional information :

Archdiocese listing

Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada

OCA listing

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America

Metropolitan Theodosius Lazor

Metropolitan Herman Swaiko

Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard)

Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)

Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Bishop Mstislav (Diachina)

Archpriest Alexei Vassioushkine

Web-site of the host parish, Saint Mary’s Anglican Church

Wikipedia article about the Russian diaspora

Richmond Hill cemeteries, churches

Russian Orthodox Immigration Services of Canada archives

Wikipedia article about Richmond Hill

Great Thursday and Great Friday at Saint Seraphim Church, Richmond Hill, Ontario (3 May, 2013)

Archpastoral Visit of Bishop Mstislav (Diachina) of Tikhvin, Russia to Saint Seraphim of Sarov Church, Richmond Hill (29 September, 2013)

Palm Sunday at Saint Seraphim Church, Richmond Hill, Ontario (13 April, 2014)

Archpastoral Visit of Archbishop Irénée to the Saint Seraphim of Sarov Church (3 August, 2014)

Theophany at Saint Seraphim Orthodox Church, Richmond Hill, Ontario (19 Jan, 2015)

Feast of Theophany at Saint Seraphim Orthodox Church, Richmond Hill, Ontario (18 January, 2016)

Pilgrimage of Saint Seraphim of Sarov to Rawdon, Québec (6-8 October, 2018)

Archbishop Irénée's archpastoral Visit to Saint Seraphim Parish in Richmond Hill, Ontario Sunday, 20 October, 2019.

Archpriest Nicholas Boldireff : In Memoriam (May, 2024)

‘For Toronto area : New deacon ordained’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Spring 2006), p. 13.

‘Contacts, cooperation and dialogue between Anglicans and Russian Orthodox, 1716-2008’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn 2008), pp. 12-14.