Shishkovtsy-Shandro AB †Museum Dormition of the Theotokos Museum Orthodox Church 1903-1963
Shishkovtsy/Shandro, Alberta, †Russo Orthodox Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos (Museum) 1918-1963
See also : Shishkovtsy-Shandro AB Dormition of the Theotokos Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1903.
Beginning, 1903
In early 1903, people who had arrived from Western Ukraine and settled in the region of Shishkovtsy, Alberta, Canada (approximately 130 km (81 mi) northeast of Edmonton), organised themselves into a parish community. Then, on 20 May, 1903, the founders of the parish of the Dormition of the Mother of God obtained 40 acres of land from the government, for the purpose of constructing a Temple and establishing a cemetery. Afterwards, in 1904, came the arduous task of cutting, hauling, trimming, and hewing the logs.
Construction of the Temple, 1906
Construction of the Temple began in 1905. Even though blueprints were not made for the actual construction, the Temple was built in the traditional "Byzantine" style. The building was constructed mainly by the parish members, except for the dome (cupola) which required the special knowledge and experience of John Sharun and Fred Sawchuk. Many ecclesiastical items were made by hand. Some of the items to be utilised for liturgical purposes had been brought from the native homeland, whereas others had been donated and some were purchased more locally. Shingles for the roof were purchased from Gordon’s store in Chipman, Alberta, and they were paid for with eggs.
It was because a time came when the original Temple structure required extensive renovations that the parish members decided to construct a new Temple. This large undertaking commenced in 1953.
Donation of the Temple to the Shandro Ukrainian Pioneer Museum, 1965
In 1965, this original Pioneer Temple was donated by the parishioners to the Shandro Museum (which is at the junction of Highway #857 and Township Road #572) at Shandro, Alberta, and it was moved there, about 70 km (44 mi) away. The Cross from the dome of this Temple was retained by the parishioners and it was placed as an historical marker on the site of the original Temple.
Particular information
This Temple was part of the Alberta & Northwest Territories Deanery of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The bishop was Archbishop Nikon (de Grève).
This Temple followed the Old (Julian) Calendar.
Services are still offered occasionally in this Temple, which follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this Temple is the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, 15/28 August.
Address :
Historical Village & Pioneer Museum at Shandro
Dormition of the Theotokos Orthodox Church
Corner of Highway #857 and Township Road #574
Alberta
Contact information regarding the former Shandro Museum
Directions :
The Historical Village & Pioneer Museum at Shandro is located approximately 123 km (77 mi) northeast of Edmonton (depending upon the route).
From Edmonton, drive eastwards on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) until Mundare. Turn left (north) onto #855, and drive north to Andrew. At Highway #45, turn right (east). Drive east until Highway #645 on the left. Veer left, and continue on eastwards until Range Road #154. Turn left (north), and drive until Township Road #574. Turn right (east). The museum is immediately on the north side of the road, to the left.
Mailing Address :
Historical Village & Pioneer Museum at Shandro
PO Box 102
Willingdon, Alberta
T0B 4R0
References
St Mary’s Dormition Orthodox Church, Shiskovtzi
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Additional information :
Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk)
Archbishop Jonathan (Kopolovich)
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Shandro and Shandro museum
Article about the closed Shandro Museum, with historical photos
Video : Preview of an award-winning documentary, an impressionistic piece on the founding of Alberta by Ukrainian immigrants. The full documentary can be rented online at A Place Called Shandro
“A Place Called Shandro”, University of Alberta announcement about the documentary



