Tolstoi MB Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1927
Tolstoi, Manitoba, Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery, 1927
Tolstoi, Manitoba, Descent of the Holy Spirit Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery, 1927
Prehistory
Tolstoi, Manitoba, Canada, is situated about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of Stuartburn, Manitoba. It is situated on Highway #59 South, at the junction with Highway #209.
The hamlet of Tolstoi was populated by Ukrainian immigrants in the late 1890s, and it is one of the early Ukrainian settlements in Western Canada. However, its existence was not formalised until 1906.
Ukrainian settlement in southeastern Manitoba
A few Ukrainian immigrants started arriving in Manitoba in 1891 ; but it was not until 1896 that the first large group of 27 families arrived there. From Winnipeg, the newcomers and homesteaders began to establish themselves in southeastern Manitoba, first near Stuartburn (already existing, and about 118 km/73 mi southeast of Winnipeg). From there, they travelled about 10 km southwest, where they established their homes and farms, and they formed the settlement of Tolstoi.
The Ukrainian newcomers also established an initial community at Gardenton, Manitoba (about 12 km southeast of Stuartburn, and 10 km east of Tolstoi). Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church at Gardenton (about 5 km east of Tolstoi), built in 1899, is the oldest Ukrainian Orthodox Temple in Manitoba, and it is now a designated historic site. The construction of Saint Demetrius Orthodox Church at Gardenton followed very soon afterwards.
The newly-arrived Ukrainian immigrants extended their populating of the region by establishing various other small communities in the southeast of Manitoba, such as Vita, Arbakka, Rosa, Sundown, Sirko, Senkiw, Sarto, Dufrost, and other places. In the course of their choice of a place to homestead, it seems that the pioneers tended to establish themselves in regions in accordance with their places of origin, and with personal relationships that had existed there previously.
In all these places, Orthodox Christian Temples were established rather soon after their arrival.
Initial worship-communities at Tolstoi
The first church building was constructed in 1903, 2.5 km (1½ mi) west of Tolstoi. It was a very small structure not much bigger than a granary, and it had no domes. It is known that it was part of the “Greek Independent Church”, which served both Orthodox Christians and Roman Catholic Christians. It was, in Roman Catholic terms, known as the “Ruthenian Independent church”.
This Presbyterian-inspired entity was (from 1903-1908) associated with the activities of the so-called “Metropolitan” Seraphim (Ustvolsky) in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
There was, at this location, also a cemetery. The location of the Greek Independent Church was referred to as “Oleskiw”, the name of the post-office located on the next farm to the church building. That very name was in honour of the promoter of emigration from Ukrainian-and Romanian-speaking territories of Eastern Europe to Canada, Dr. Joseph Oleskiw.
Eventually, the Greek Independent cemetery was renamed “Overstone Independent Cemetery”. It was made available for all faiths, and it remains so until the present.
There were repeated and continual disagreements between Orthodox Christians and Ukrainian Greek Catholics about worshipping in this small building. It was too small to accommodate more than a few persons.
Later, when a small fire occurred, the disagreement deterred any movement towards repairing the damage.
It is possible that the nature of these disagreements were an element in the delay in constructing an Orthodox Christian Temple in Tolstoi, together with the fact that the nearest Temple, that of Saint Michael, was 5 km (2.5 mi) away to the east.
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, 1922
In 1922, the Ukrainian Greek Catholics built a new church building a half-mile south of the Greek Independent church. It was dedicated as Sacred Heart of Jesus.
By verbal agreement, Orthodox Christians were invited to worship with them. However, the next 4 years did not go smoothly. Although the Orthodox were supposedly allowed to worship in the church, when it came to burials, the Orthodox were not permitted to do so. This anomaly on the part of the Ukrainian Greek Catholics remains unexplained.
In fact, despite whatever occurred locally, Orthodox Christians were not, themselves, permitted to participate in the life of the Ukrainian Greek Catholics, and certainly not to receive Holy Communion with them.
It is quite likely that any irregularities had their roots in the primary Protestant and Presbyterian activities in the region.
In 1926, the Ukrainian Greek Catholic church burned.
Orthodox Christian Cemetery, 1922
Thus, it was necessary in 1922 for the Orthodox Christians to purchase land adjacent land on the west side of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic cemetery for their burials. There are 8 burials in this cemetery. For this purpose, the Orthodox Christians organised themselves, and in 1926, proceeded to purchase a property in the town of Tolstoi. Those who undertook this purpose understood the importance of acquiring a property sufficiently large enough to not only accommodate a temple but a cemetery on the same location. No other church in Tolstoi and few in the surrounding area did this.
Organisation of the parish, 1926
In order to be able to make such an official purchase, the parishioners first had to organise themselves into a parish community. The majority of parishes in the southeastern region belonged at this time to the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, and the Tolstoi community chose to do the same.
There were 64 founding members, including :
Peter Antonichuk ; Jaciw Arseny ; Wasil Arseny ; Wasyl Biyak ; L Bodnarchuk ; Philip Brodoway ; M Buk ; Maxim Danyleyko ; Nick Didichuk ; Anton Dolynchuk ; Nykola Dolynchuk ; John Dutka ; Wasyl Dutkevich ; Michale Dykun ; Michael Dzioba ; Wasyl Feechuk ; Jaciw Fostey ; Wasyl Fostey ; Hnat Halushka ; Dmetro Halawaychuk ; Damian Horbul ; Petro Kalushka ; Elko Kasian ; Ivan Kovalchuk ; Elash Kosowan ; John Kosowan ; Wasyl Kosteniuk ; Tanasko Kostash ; Nykola Krainik ; Anton Kryworka ; Nykola Kudryk ; Volodymyr Kwasniski ; John Melenick ; John Nazarevich ; Joseph Nazarevich ; Petro Nedohin ; John Olynyk ; Mike Peleshok ; Peter Peleshok ; Steve Peleshok ; Andrew Podolsky ; Stefan Romaniuk ; John Rutkowski ; Petro Sereda ; John Shydlowskyi ; Stefan Slobodian ; Petro Solomon ; Wasyl Sokoliwsky ; Anton Tesarski ; Fred Tkach ; Steve Tkach ; Jakim Tkachyk ; Nykola Toffan ; Michael Wasylyshyn ; Wasyl Weleshun ; Wasyl Woroniuk ; Alex Yarme ; O P Zaparaniuk ; Michael Zulak ; Nykola Zulkowski
Construction of the Orthodox Temple, incorporation of the parish, 1927
Within a year of their first organisational meeting, the funds materialised which were needed to construct the current and still in use “Tolstoi Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church”. The new Temple was constructed next to the new cemetery.
Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Holy Table, Offering Table, Altar area
Two other churches in Tolstoi, 1927, 1928
The Ukrainian Greek Catholics did not rebuild on their original site at Oleskiw. They chose to build in Tolstoi as well. They opened their Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in 1928. It was constructed to the west of the centre of Tolstoi.
A third church in Tolstoi (Roman Catholic), was built in Tolstoi in 1927, Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church. It was attended by the many Polish immigrants who by that time had settled in that area.
Depression and drought, 1930s
After the stock-market crash of 1929, the Great Depression of the 1930s began. It was accompanied by a 10-year drought. Although south-eastern Manitoba was less directly affected, it felt the effects of the Depression, as did the whole country. Some farms began to be abandoned and consolidated, and incomes decreased.
It was during this period that the nearby Parish of Saint Michael constructed a new Temple in the Town of Gardenton, and the rural Temple began to be used only occasionally.
Rural depopulation
Especially beginning in the 1930s, the rural areas across Western Canada in particular began to be depopulated. Both because of the widespread and prolonged drought, and because of the increasing development of mechanisation, people began to leave their farms and to move into one or another sort of urban area. In this region, Gardenton, Tolstoi, Stuartburn, and other villages grew to some extent during this phenomenon. Of course Winnipeg was, all along, a more desired destination for many persons. This depopulation was one of the reasons for the establishment of the New Saint Michael’s Church within Gardenton.
For the most part, the process of rural depopulation has not ceased until the present.
Parish hall, 1914, 1932
The original Ukrainian National Home in Tolstoi was constructed in 1914, and it was used by the community for celebrations and cultural events. It was re-constructed in 1932, and a dining area was added in 1963.
In the past, the hall included a library (typical of Ukrainian National Homes in numerous places in Western Canada). Plays were often performed by residents, and the local school Christmas concert was held here. It became known as the Tolstoi Ukrainian National Home.
The original front sign for the Parish Hall was hand-made. It includes lions, and the Ukrainian Trident (“Tryzub”).
In 2024, this same building remains well-maintained, modernised, and in active use. The visible modernisation is quite noticeable on the exterior. However, the interior has been kept much as it was in the early days.
It is located on another property, on the east side of Highway #59, north of the junction of Highway #59 and Railway Avenue.
Tolstoi Ukrainian National Home
Ukrainian National Home interior during a sale
Parish bell-house, 1946
In 1946, parishioners decided to construct a bell-house near the Temple. The workers remain anonymous.
In recent years, on the inside wall of the bell-house, there was found hanging on a nail a pencil sketch of 2 bell-house designs. The sketch was on the back of a carboard corn flakes box. It seems that this was the work of 2 members who each designed their style preference. Both designs were quite similar. However, one simply had an iron Orthodox Cross on top. The other had a small onion dome (similar to the one on the Temple), with an iron Orthodox Cross on top. It can be seen that it was decided to build the one with the onion dome. It was decided to save the corn flake box sketches in the antiquity display-case at the entrance to the Temple.
As was written about the village of Tolstoi, there are parallel effects on the Holy Ghost parish as well.
Once a thriving community, Tolstoi’s population declined dramatically in recent decades. Its current population of near 50 people remain after most businesses closed as with the declining rural area residents were moving away and seeking employment. The community now is served by a lone convenience store, 2 mechanic shops, and Elsie’s Hotel (opened in 1929, closed in 2008, and reopened in 2022 by a returning Tolstoi resident). The Tolstoi Community Centre is the second community hall in addition to the Ukrainian National Home. The Centre operates in the renovated former 2-room Tolstoi school house. The Roman Catholic church remains intact in appearance, but now painted green instead of white to reflect its repurposing in use now to house the Tolstoi Heritage Centre (museum/archival repository).
Parish bell-house, memorial Cross
Re-naming of the UGOCC, 1990
In 1990, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of the Parliament of Canada.
The UOCC entered into Eucharistic union with the Patriarchate of Constantinople, 1990
In 1990, the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg, Manitoba, decided to enter into Eucharistic Union with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople (Istanbul). This decision also changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.
Centennial of the UOCC, 2018
In 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada and also of Holy Trinity Cathedral were marked at an extraordinary sobor (assembly) at the cathedral in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The purpose of the sobor was to celebrate 100 years of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The celebrations were attended by Ukrainian Orthodox faithful from across Canada and beyond.
The Sobor began on Thursday, 9 August, 2018, with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Chapel of Saint Petro Mohyla Institute, presided by Bishop Andriy (Peshko) of the Eastern Eparchy, with the responses sung by the Clergy led by Father Michael Lomaszkiewicz. This was followed by an All-Canada Clergy Conference.
In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.
As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.
Renovations of the Temple, 2021
In 2021, the entrance area of the Temple was rebuilt. Where there were originally no walls at the entrance porch, walls were installed under the entry-roof over the porch, and a new entrance-door. Then, new interior panelling, bead-board, was installed to match the main original building’s style. This made a new (gannock/narthex) for the building. Inside the Temple, golden stars were painted on the ceiling.
In this entrance area, a glass showcase now displays historical church artifacts, such as hand-painted easter-eggs (pysanky) from chicken, goose, and ostrich eggs. They had been donated by former parish members. There are also ornate dried kolaches and paska breads (which refer to the “Bread of Life”, John 6:35-37).
Since then, the Tolstoi Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Holy Ghost has been hosting many tours and showings to the public. It is of interest to the public, since it has such a unique majestic interior that has been maintained carefully for almost a century.
Election of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk), 2022
Election of a nominee by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
On 15-19 June, 2022, the 24th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox of Canada was convened "on-line". This conference-meeting was convened thus instead of convening physically (as customarily) in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There were 6 cathedrals in Canada where this meeting took place simultaneously through a computer-network : in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral) ; Vancouver, British Columbia (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Edmonton, Alberta (Saint John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral) ; in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Toronto, Ontario (Saints Vladimir and Olga Cathedral) ; in Montréal, Québec (Saint Sophie Cathedral).
There was a total of 205 delegates, which was near the average attendance for such sobors.
In the course of the work of the Sobor, there was the necessary election in order to nominate to the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople a candidate for election as Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, who would succeed the Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk).
There were 3 candidates who were considered : Archbishop Job (Getcha), Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk), and Bishop Andriy (Peshko). The final choice of the members of the sobor was Archbishop Job (Getcha). He had received more than the minimum required 51% of the votes, and there was no subsequent voting required.
The election by the Sobor (Assembly) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada then had to be confirmed by the Holy Synod of Bishops of Constantinople (as is described in the Consistory By-laws).
Upon having received the nomination (with accompanying documents) from the Sobor of the UOCC, the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) to become Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada.
The Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Archbishop Job (Getcha) to become Metropolitan of Pisidia, in west-central Türkiye (Turkey), north of Lycia, and east of Ephesus.
Confirmation of election in Constantinople/Istanbul, 2022
On 29 August, 2022, Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) was at the Phanar in Constantinople for the purpose of the first confirmation of the election in June, 2022. He co-served the Divine Liturgy with Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) in the Cathedral of Saint George at the Phanar.
Enthronement as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, 2022
On Saturday, 19 November, 2022, at 9:30 a.m., in Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Enthronement Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served. Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) presided at the Divine Liturgy. He was assisted by Bishop Andriy (Peshko), many priests, several deacons, subdeacons and Altar-servers. Present also were Metropolitan Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas), Exarch of Canada for the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk), Former Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) at the Phanar, Istanbul, 2023
On Sunday, 2 July, 2023, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) was present and praying during the Divine Liturgy at Saint George's Cathedral in the Patriarchate compound. He gave the blessing that Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) preside ("horostasia") over the Divine Liturgy. Metropolitan Job (Getcha) of Pisidia, Bishop Athenagoras (Ziliaskopoulos) of Nazianzos, and the Honourable Roman Nedilskyi, General Consul of Ukraine in Constantinople were also present and praying with the congregation of the Faithful.
Change of calendar for the UOCC, 2023
On 1 December, 2023, in accordance with the resolutions of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk) announced that, effective that day, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada moved to use the New (Revised Julian) Calendar. He allowed that for a brief period of time, a parish might remain on the Old (Julian) Calendar.
It seems that subsequently, John's Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta, was the first to adopt the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
However, a previously-existing group of persons began to encourage resistance to the immediacy of this change. It was their understanding that the process would be determined ultimately and finally at the next general sobor of the UOCC. Therefore, on 16 December, 2023, Metropolitan Ilarion issued a formal letter concerning the situation, together with a letter of support sent to him by his predecessor (Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)). He called the resisters to repentance.
Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery, 1926
The Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery was established in 1926, just before the construction of the Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Temple on the same property.
It is located in the village of Tolstoi, Manitoba GPS Co-ordinates : 49.07433, -96.80363 (N 49° 04.460 W 096° 48.218), on the north side of Highway #209 (Railway Avenue), just east of Highway #59).
Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery
Pioneer monument in the cemetery
Tolstoi South Russian Orthodox Cemetery, 1904
Although it is not directly related to this parish (the Holy Ghost parish), there is to the south of Tolstoi a Russian Orthodox Cemetery.
There is 1 wooden Cross, and 1 remaining identified grave-marker for Onufrey Tkachuk, who reposed in 1904.
Tolstoi Overstoneville Independent Cemetery 1904
The Tolstoi Overstone Independent Cemetery (situated on the south side of Highway #209, west of the junction Highways #59 and #209) eloquently tells the story of pioneer life in Manitoba. On the east side stand, in quiet, formal layout, the handsome grave markers typical of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic and Orthodox Christian faiths, with names and long-ago dates chiseled into the stone. On the west side of the cemetery stands a very different set of stones, simple white crosses without names or dates, scattered throughout a grove of poplar trees. These mark mostly the resting places of children (about 27 in all) who perished during the 1930s.
Overstone Independent Cemetery, old section
Overstone Independent Cemetery, newer and old sections.
Parish particular information
This parish is part of the Vita Region (Deanery), of the Central Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The bishop is Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk).
This parish follows the (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day (nameday) of the parish is the Feast of Pentecost (Descent of the Holy Spirit, Holy Trinity).
In 2024, the pastor of the parish is Priest Oleh Bohdanov.
Address :
Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Descent of the Holy Spirit Church)
Tolstoi, Manitoba
R0A 2E0
Mailing address :
Descent Of The Holy Spirit Parish
P O Box 129
Tolstoi, Manitoba
R0A 2E0
For information regarding this parish, please contact :
Mr. Wayne Arseny, President
E-mail : warseny@mymts.net
Telephone : (204) 324-4492
Directions :
Tolstoi, Manitoba, is a hamlet in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin, Manitoba. It is located along Manitoba Highway #59, at the junction with Provincial Road #209, approximately 90 km (56 mi) south of Winnipeg. This is also 10 km (6.2 mi) north of the Tolstoi Port of Entry at the Canada-USA border.
The Holy Ghost (Descent of the Holy Spirit) Temple is situated east of the junction of Highways #59 and Highway #209 (Railway Avenue), on the north side of Highway #209 (GPS : N49.07433, W96.80363).
Telephone : (204) 558-1517
Tolstoi, (Gardenton,) Rosa, Senkiw, Sarto, Vita, Sundown, Sirko, Dufrost, Arbakka
References
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada listing
A Brief History of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Ukrainian Encyclopaedia article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Additional information :
Bush, Peter, “Independent Greek Church in Canada 1903-1912 : Middle Ground on the Canadian Prairies between Ukrainian Immigrants and Presbyterianism”
Olender, Vivian, “Reaction of the Canadian Methodist church towards Ukrainian immigrants : rural missions as agencies of assimilation” (Edmonton, Alberta : Canadian Institute for Ukrainian Studies, 1976).
……, “Reaction of the Canadian Presbyterian Church towards Ukrainian immigrants (1900-1925) : rural home missions as agencies of assimilation” (Edmonton, Alberta : Canadian Institute for Ukrainian Studies, 1984).
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Ukrainian Orthodox Church listing for Descent of the Holy Spirit parish, Tolstoi, Manitoba
Orthodox World listing for Descent of the Holy Spirit Orthodox Church, Tolstoi
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site
Wikipedia article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Orthodoxwiki article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)
Metropolitan John (Theodorovych)
Metropolitan Polikarp (Sikorski)
Metropolitan Ilarion I (Ohienko)
Metropolitan Michael (Khoroshy)
Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)
Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk)
Manitoba Historical Society article about the Overstoneville Cemetery
Findagrave reference for the Overstoneville Ukrainian Independent Cemetery
Findagrave reference for Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery at Tolstoi
Findagrave reference for cemetery names at Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery at Tolstoi
Manitoba Historical Society article about the Ukrainian National Home
Manitoba Historical Society photo of the Holy Table at Holy Ghost Temple, Tolstoi
Flickr photo of Holy Ghost Temple
Wikipedia article about Tolstoi, Manitoba
Encyclopaedia of Ukraine article about Ukrainians in Manitoba
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Charity Data information about Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Tolstoi South Russian Orthodox Cemetery
University of Manitoba historical photo of the Holy Table, Holy Ghost parish
University of Manitoba historical photo of the north apse, Holy Ghost parish
The UOCC and the Eucharistic union with the Patriarchate of Constantinople, 1990
“Winnipeg Free Press article”, ‘Tale of Two Churches : Ukrainian Catholic and Orthodox congregations still embrace their differences’ (14 November, 2009)
Russian Winnipeg article about Tolstoi, Manitoba (Photos) (2011)
100th Anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, 2018
Enthronement of Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (19 November, 2022)
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) announces Change of Calendar (1 December, 2023)











