Hamilton ON Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church 1913

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Revision as of 13:09, 9 May 2025 by Vladyka Seraphim (talk | contribs) (→‎Post-World War II immigration)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


SaintNicholasNashRoadHamilton 3A.png St Nicholas Hamilton ON.jpg

Hamilton, Ontario, Serbian Orthodox Church of Saint Nicholas, 1913


Prehistory

From 1904, Serbian immigrants began to arrive and to live in the city of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The newcomers were concerned that they not lose their identity as Serbian Orthodox Christians nor their language in the great mixture of languages and beliefs that they found in Canada. Only the Orthodox Christian Church could provide all this.

Founding the community, 1913

In this particular case, the foundation of the one Temple allowed for the appearance in the distant future of the phenomenon of 2 Temples named identically : one on Barton Street and one on Nash Road.

In 1913, at the initiative of the indigenous groups, mostly from the former Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Serbian Orthodox church-school congregation of Saint Nicholas the Wonder-worker was founded. Although the Serbians sometimes use the term “parish”, the term “church-school congregation” is the term more typically used by the Serbian Orthodox Christians in places where others might use the word “parish”. In the Church-school Congregation, there may be one or several "parishes" which are part of the overall organisation.

It is important to understand that in this community, as is the case for most Serbian communities, there is considerable activity in the Temple, in the social life of the community, and in various sorts of social service and philanthropy. However, it is not customary that these things be publicly advertised or publicly published. Those who do not know the Serbian community may be aware only of the existence of a Serbian Festival if there is one.

World War I (1914-1918) ; internments

In World War I, Britain and Canada entered the war as allies of Serbia (Kingdom of Yugoslavia). However, because most Serbs in Hamilton originally were from the territories that had been occupied by the Austro-Hungarian Empire, they were treated as “enemy aliens” (because their passport was that of the Austro-Hungarian Empire). As happened likewise with many Ukrainians, hundreds of Canadian Serbs were sent to internment camps in Northern Ontario.


WW I internments 1.png Canadian internment camp


It was only through the intervention of the “Serbian League of Canada” and Serbian clergy that they were released. Many tried to rebuild lives in Ontario, but others were so embittered at their treatment that they returned to their homeland.

Besides this, many Serbs returned to Europe to fight in the diaspora regiments, called “South Slavic Divisions”, and to defend Serbia. Some enlisted as Canadian soldiers. For all, a new identity of Serbian-Canadians was emerging.

Community development, 1915

In 1915, there were already 40 members of this Hamilton church-school congregation. The first president was Petar Miščević. At the beginning, church services were performed in a rented house, in which the largest room was adapted for a chapel on the ground floor. The upper rooms of the house were adapted to be an apartment for the priest. The first pastor who moved in was the Priest Georgije Milošević in 1914. These hard workers managed to buy a house near the industrial area, on Sherman Avenue, where they used an apartment on the ground floor as a chapel for their spiritual needs. However, they were not satisfied to remain in such conditions, so they collected money to buy land and to build a proper Temple for worship.

The first Temple, 1917

The construction began and was completed in 1917, at the corner of Beach Road and Northcott Street (between Ottawa Street North and Gage Avenue North, north of Barton Street). This intersection is in the lower part of Hamilton, near Lake Ontario, and in the industrial area.


Saint Nicholas Beach Road Hamilton 1917 2.png First Temple


The parish was established under the auspices of the North American diocese ("Russian Mission of North America") of the Russian Orthodox Church. By this time it was called the “Diocese of North America and the Aleutians”. At that time, this mission was responsible for caring for all Orthodox believers in North America.

Archimandrite Mardarije Uskoković performed the sanctification of the first Temple of Saint Nicholas the Wonder-worker, on the corner of Beach Street and Northcott Street in Hamilton on Saturday and Sunday, 15-16 December, 1917.

Then, on the day of Saint Nicholas, Wednesday, 6/19 December, 1917, he celebrated the Altar Feast-day of the Temple. This was the first Serbian Orthodox Church-school Congregation Temple in Eastern Canada. The first priest was Father Daniel Kozomora. The president of the church-school congregation was Pavle Kotur.

The iconostas of this first Temple, simple and hand-constructed, was made by parishioners themselves, who carved the details as well as they could. The icons were provided through the Russian Orthodox Church’s Canadian mission, thanks to Bishop Alexander (Nemolovsky). They originated in the monastery print shop of the Kyiv-Pechory Lavra, which had printed them in 1907.


First Temple iconostas 1.png First iconostas

Transfer to the Serbian Orthodox Church, 1922

This community, like many others, was founded under the auspices of the Russian Orthodox Church which had a strong missionary presence in North America since the 18th century (the Russian Mission). The Serbian Orthodox Church was in a state of re-organisation in the early 1900s, and She shared the widely held opinion that Serbs living and working in North America at that time were simply migrant workers who would return home one day.

When it became clear that a Serbian presence was going to be permanent in Canada and the USA, the Church responded by creating a continent-sized diocese centred at Saint Sava Monastery in Libertyville, Illinois, USA.

In 1922, the church-school congregation of Saint Nicholas in Hamilton passed to the jurisdiction of the Serbian Orthodox Church which by that time had begun to be established in North America. The number of Serbs in Hamilton continued to increase rapidly.

Establishment of the Serbian National Hall, 1924

As the community grew, the perceived need for a community centre arose. In 1924, the Serbian National Hall was opened. Located right next to the Temple, on Northcote Street, it was the gathering place for Hamilton’s Serbs for many decades.


Hall and Temple, 1924 2.png The hall and the Temple


Great Depression, 1930s

However, during the Great Depression of the 1930s, many Serbs moved to northern Canada in order to work in the forests and mines, while others remaining in Hamilton, went to work on farms in order to maintain their families. Others were surviving eating in soup-kitchens.

World War II, 1939 ; industrialisation ; more immigration

Before and during World War II, Hamilton was industrialised. As a result, many Serbs returned and other newcomers arrived. During the next 10 years, several hundred families settled in Hamilton. These Serbs came from different parts of their homeland, but mostly from Lika, Kordun, Bania, Dalmatia, Bosnia and Serbia. Some came from Vojvodina.

At the end of the 1940s and at the beginning of the 1950s, a large group of Serbian "Četniks" arrived in Hamilton. A Četnik is historically a defender of the Serbian Orthodox Christian Faith, beginning with the Islamic invasions ; then subsequently under the Serbian kings ; and finally under the oppression of communism. Many had been members of the Serbian army from World War I. In Winona, Ontario, to the south of Hamilton, they built a memorial hall in memory of General Draža Mihailović. It is found at 269, Glover Road (quite near Barton Sreet).

Besides the Četniks, there were many professional and educated Serbs, and also professional soldiers who arrived, and who contributed significantly to the religious and cultural life of Serbian immigrants and their descendants in Canada.

Founded in 1949, the "Organisation of Serbian Četniks" brought together veteran combatants of the World War II royalist resistance. The parish priest of Saint Nicholas that time was Father Djuro Vukelić. In fact, he had been a member and supporter of the Četnik resistance.


Stara-crkva banner 2.png Church1 2.png

Views of the old Temple with the adjacent hall


Serbian League of Canada, 1944

Initially founded in 1908 in Serbia, and then established in 1914 in the United States and Canada, the "Srpska Narodna Odbrana" ("Serbian League") became the primary defender of Serbians worldwide. The organisation was present in Hamilton during World War I ; but disbanded in peace time, only to reorganise again during World War II. The Serbian League intervened with Canadian government officials, published numerous publications presenting the case for the Western Allies’ continued support of the Chetnik royalist resistance, and brought Serbs together for many humanitarian appeals.

Post-World War II immigration

Hamilton was the destination of a great wave of Slavic immigration after World War II, and the cultural development of the community then accelerated.

Serbian School established 1948

As the parish had grown dramatically after the World War II, families felt a need for some way to engage their children in parish life, to retain their culture and faith in Canada. Dobrosav Ilic, a former teacher from Pirot, Serbia, was approached to organise a Serbian School (Srpska Skola) in order to teach Serbian language and customs, Orthodox Christian Catechism, and liturgical singing.

This parish’s Serbian School has functioned continuously since then, and it remains the longest functioning Serbian School in Canada.


School s 2.png Saint Nicholas Serbian School, 1968


Stevan Mokranjac Choir, 1948

The parish did not always have a Serbian priest. Romanian, Russian and Ukrainian priests all served at the Saint Nicholas Temple. One of these, Ukrainian Orthodox Priest Miroslav Podolsky, served throughout the 1940s. He approached parishioners Dobrosav Ilic and Lazar Stojsic to sing the responses during the Divine Liturgy and other services. Eventually, others joined them, and a choir then developed. The Serbs of Hamilton honoured the great Serbian composer, Stevan Mokranjac, by naming their choral ensemble after him.

"Kolo Srpskih Sestara" (KSS) established, 1948

The Kolo Srpskih Sestara (Circle of Serbian Sisters) was a humanitarian organisation established by the women of Serbia as a way of helping refugees, orphans, amputees and veterans of the Balkan Wars (1912-1913).

See the main report about the Circles of Serbian Sisters following later.

In the years between 1948 and 1952, the Circle of Serbian Sisters, the choir, the church-school and theatre were all founded. As the Serbian community grew, it soon outgrew the previous small hall.

Father George Vukelić, 1949

During the early years of parish history, priests were difficult to retain for any length of time. Slavic priests of various nationalities served the parish for varying lengths of time. Father Miroslav Podolsky, a Ukrainian Orthodox priest, served the parish throughout the 1940s with great care for the needs of his parishioners and their uniquely Serbian customs.

In 1949, the parish welcomed Priest Djuro (George) Vukelić and his family. They arrived from a displaced persons’ camp in Italy, and they immediately began taking part in all aspects of parish and community life. Father George remained parish priest until his retirement in 1995.

Visit of Dobroslav Jevđević, 1952

In 1952, Dobroslav Jevđević visited Canada. He was a Chetnik resistance leader, who resisted the communist activities in Yugoslavia, and who lived under a constant threat of death. He addressed the Congress of the Serbian National Defence during his visit ; and from that time, the establishment of various Chetnik organisations began in Canada and in the USA.

“Canadian Srbobran” begins publication, 1954

The “Kanadski Srbobran” (“Canadian Defender of Serbs”) has been published continuously in Hamilton, by the Serbian League of Canada, since 1954. Although not a parish publication, the Srbobran defended the rights of Serbs worldwide, especially during difficult Cold War and Church Schism years. The editor, Lazar Stojsić, was an active parishioner, and parish news and events were and still are covered by this long-standing newspaper within the Canadian Serbian experience.

New Serbian hall established, 1957

In 1957, a new, large hall, the Serbian-Canadian Community Centre on Barton Street East, was opened.

The Serbian Canadian Community Centre was designed in 1955 by architect B Hall. The building was completed by the spring of 1957, and it was blessed by Bishop Dionisije (Milivojević) on 2 June, 1957. The building replaced an older Serbian Hall that had been present for many decades on the corner of Beach Road and Northcote Street. On 2 June, 1957, Bishop Dionisije (Milivojević), assisted by Father Djuro Vukelić and other Ontario clergy, blessed the opening of the Canadian-Serbian Community Centre at 1415, Barton Street East. This centre is still the focal point of all social activity in this parish.


Hall blessing 2.png Blessing the new Serbian Hall


Serbian Canadian Community Centre Hamilton 1957 2.png Serbian-Canadian Community Centre


Soon it became evident that there was a need for a larger Temple.

Visit of King Peter II, 1959

After World War II, members of the Serbian/Yugoslav Royal family, the Karadjordjevici, were forced into exile by J B Tito’s communist regime. Peter II resided in California, and his presence was an encouraging and unifying factor for Serbs in Canada and the USA. He made a historic visit to the Hamilton parish in 1957, and throngs of local Serbs came to greet him.

When King Peter II was in Toronto, a gala banquet was held at the Royal York Hotel. The Hamilton parish choir travelled from Hamilton to sing the Canadian and Serbian anthems, as well as a programme of selected Mokranjac song cycles, the “rukoveti’. The choir was, at that time, led by Canko Cankov, a former musical director of the Bulgarian National Theatre in Sofia.

Serbian immigration to Canada and the USA increased after World War II as thousands fled the oppressive Tito regime. There was a strong reaction in North America against any activity associated with Mr. Tito, and many distrusted Patriarch German (Djorić).

Schism, 1963

After World War II, communists had taken power in Yugoslavia (under Mr. J B Tito). King Peter (Karadjordjević) and the royal family were living in exile. The Serbian Orthodox Church began to be oppressed and manipulated by the communists, in Marxist-Leninist fashion. Many people had thus arrived in Canada as refugees.

The political engagement of Hamilton parishioners was particularly high in the decades immediately after the war, as they saw Canada as a freedom-loving country where they were appreciated as new citizens. When the USA and Canadian governments hosted a visit in 1960 of J B Tito, there was a strong public reaction by the Serbs. There were protests in Ottawa and later similar ones in Washington, led by Serbian Bishop Dionisije (Milivojević), who was resisting the supposed communist influence on the Serbian Patriarchate.

In 1963, there developed a schism amongst the Serbian Orthodox Christians, and it was a very painful experience for them all. The schism was led by Bishop Dionisije (Milivojević), who established the Free Serbian Orthodox Church.

This division occurred much in the same manner as did that of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR), and for similar reasons.

Those who wished to remain with the Mother Church had to find a new place to gather and to pray, because the Temple itself was taken by the schism.

It was an extremely painful period for the Serbian Orthodox Church, and also for the Serbian community in Hamilton. However, although in Hamilton the split was less rancourous than in many American cities, it nevertheless led to the formation of the second parish on Nash Road. The 2 parishes were never separated in any dogmatic matters of faith, but politics had insinuated itself seriously into the lives of Hamilton’s Serbs.

Building the new (second) Temple on Nash Road, 1964

On 26 January, 1964, at the annual assembly, it was decided to take action and to build a new Temple and to find a way to complete it. The President of the Building Committee was Marko Chelar.

Soon, a parcel of land of 3 acres which included 2 older dwellings was purchased at 153, Nash Road South. The cost was $56,000. On 7 June, 1964, the Priest Borko Borčić arrived in Hamilton as the new parish priest. During his short stay (1964-1967), this energetic priest organised the life of the parish community, and he patiently guided the building of the new house of worship.

On 14 June, 1964, the service for the ground-breaking took place. The Divine Liturgy was served under a tent by Bishop Firmilian (Ocokoljić) of the Midwest Diocese and the Archpriest Stefan from the Diocese of Eastern America and Canada. They were assisted by 4 priests (Žarko Mitrović of Niagara, Simeon Grozdanović of Toronto, Dimitrije Naidanović of Montréal, and Borko Borčić of Hamilton). This was the first great celebration of the community.

There was an excellent opportunity to buy an additional lot to the south of the existing lots at a very reasonable price. It was decided to purchase this lot.

The Temple and hall were built by Mitchell Co. Ltd., with whom the building committee had made an agreement, and the contract was signed by the president, Marko Čelar. Construction began on 5 October, 1964. The cornerstone was blessed by Bishop Stephen.

On 20 June, 1965, the Church of Saint Nicholas on Nash Road was sanctified and opened for prayer for all the members of the church-school congregation. It was an historical event for the Serbian colony in Hamilton, for the diocese, and for the whole Serbian Orthodox Church.

The Temple Sponsor was Ilia Marjan and his family. In the Serbian custom, such a sponsor is similar to the sponsor at a baptism or a marriage.


Sanctification of Nash Rd Temple, 1965 2.png Sanctification of the Temple


Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Nash Road 2.png Temple exterior with the hall

Activities at the Saint Nicholas (Barton Street), community after 1964

S.F.E. KOLO established at Barton Street East, 1969

The "Serbian Folklore Ensemble Circle" ("S.F.E. KOLO") began as a small group of folk dance enthusiasts, who performed for the first time at a multicultural event at Scott Park Secondary School in Hamilton. From that simple start, an ensemble has grown that features dancers and musicians who represent the parish on Barton Street, and the city of Hamilton itself on stages worldwide. KOLO has been Hamilton’s ambassador during performances on Canada Day/Dominion Day in Ottawa ; at the opening ceremony and cultural festival of the Edmonton Commonwealth Games ; at the Vrsac international Folklore Festival ; and at the Lincoln Centre for the Performing Arts in New York City.

Serbian Chetniks Organisation at Saint Nicholas (Barton Street), 1969

Founded in 1949, the local Organisation of Serbian Chetniks brought together veteran combatants of the World War II royalist resistance. In Yugoslavia, this movement was a descendent of the Serbian Chetnik Organisation which had developed at the time of the Wars (1876-1878), through which Serbia regained independence from the Ottoman Empire.

Father Djuro Vukelić had been a member and supporter of the Chetnik resistance.


AntiqueSerbianInkwell 3.png


Antique Serbian ink-well from the Crna Gora (Montenegro) region, which belonged to Mr. Dušan Diklić


First Saint Nicholas (Barton Street) Folklore Group, 1970

In Hamilton, at the Barton Street community, parishioner Taso Ristić organised a dance group for Canadian-born young people to learn the songs and dances of their ancestral land. The dance groups still represent the parish at many events, especially the Canada Day/Dominion Day celebrations in Gage Park, and in many other communities in Ontario and the USA.

Third Temple, the Temple on Barton Street East, 1974

In Hamilton, the Temple of Saint Nicholas was the spiritual core of the oldest Serbian Orthodox church-school congregation in eastern Canada.

However, because of the schism, there was for a time a distinction between the 2 congregations in Hamilton, and the Nash Road Saint Nicholas Temple became a second assembly of Serbian Orthodox in the city.

The original Temple on Beach Road had remained until 1972, when the little wooden building was demolished and the land taken over by the ever-expanding Dofasco Steel Co., as the demand for steel in Canada greatly increased.

The demolition of the original Temple on Beach Road left lasting regret amongst parishioners. However, the parish had outgrown the small wooden building, but many wanted to see the structure preserved. Nevertheless, the Temple was deconsecrated and demolished.

A new property nearby was acquired, and a new Temple was erected at 1415, Barton Street East. The new Temple retained the old original church bells, and a collection of Russian icons, both from 1907. They were carefully removed, transferred and installed.

Ground Breaking for New Temple (Barton Street), 1973

Toronto-based architect Radovan Radović designed the new Temple, and he participated in the ground-breaking, which was led by Fathers George Vukelić, Ljubo Stojanović and Radovan Jaksić. He visited Hamilton daily and he contributed much time and effort in the construction itself.


Ground breaking Hamilton 2.png Breaking the ground for construction


Blessing of Corner Stone for the new Temple, 1973

With a founders’ scroll and bottle of blessed olive oil sealed within it, the corner stone of the new Temple was blessed by Bishop Irinej (Kovačević) in 1973.

Later in 1974, the magnificent Serbo-Byzantine Temple of our Holy Father Nicholas the Wonder-worker, now completed, was sanctified by Bishop Irinej (Kovačević) of the Free Serbian Orthodox Church. The monumental mosaic icon of Saint Nicholas, above the entrance door is the work of the artist Sava Rakočević of Chicago.

The iconostas, a gift of Milke Stojančević, is the work of the masters from the workshop of Argyria Kavrulakisa in Iraklion on the island of Crete, Greece, completed in 1977. It is richly carved from walnut wood.


Barton Street Iconostas 2.png View of the new iconostas


"The Hamilton Spectator" published an article about this iconostas.

The same workshop in Crete made the choir balcony loggia.

The frescoes were made from 2001 to 2004, and they are the work of Father Theodore Jurevič, a priest and iconographer of Erie, Pennsylvania.


Crkva-svetog-oca-nikole-hamilton 1.jpg Saint Nicholas Serbian Temple (Barton Street)

Saint Nicholas Church (Nash Road), 10th anniversary, 1975

The Saint Nicholas Temple on Nash Road was the community which had continuously remained in communion with the Church of Serbia, and which did not enter into schism. It was for this reason that the new Temple and hall had been constructed 10 years previously.

This newer community was not small in number, and in it were established the same sorts of social groups as those of the Barton Street community. There were not harsh negative feelings, but because of the situation regarding the 1963 schism, they were not in communion with each other. The rational sheep of Christ in both communities had to be nourished, and both communities did so in the usual manner of Serbian Orthodox communities.


10th anniversary, 1975 2.png Saint Nicholas Cathedral (Nash Road), 10th anniversary, 1975


In 1975, the Church-school congregation of Saint Nicholas at Nash Road South celebrated its 10th anniversary.

This area was in its time a small Slavic enclave because, in addition to the Temple and hall of Saint Nicholas, there were also the Croatian National Home, the Slovenian Home, and many shops and stores whose owners were Serbs, Croats, Poles, Ukrainians, Russians, Slovenians.

Election and enthronement of Bishop Georgije (Djokić), 1984

On 16 May, 1984, at the Sabor (Assembly) of Bishops in Serbia, the first bishop of Canada was elected and ordained to the Holy Episcopate. Bishop Georgije (Djokić) arrived in Canada soon after that.

Also in 1984, during the presidency of Djuro Kunić, the church-school congregation at Nash Road bought from the Sisters of Saint Joseph a lot south of the Temple.

Enthronement of Bishop Georgije (Djokić), 1984

On 14 October, 1984, Bishop Georgije was enthroned in the Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Cathedral (Nash Road), in Hamilton, Ontario, on the Feast-day of the Protection of the Theotokos. The enthronement was performed by Bishop Christopher (Kovaćević) of Eastern America and Canada who on that occasion officially handed over the Canadian diocese to the new bishop.

It was Bishop Christopher (Kovaćević) who had promoted the establishment of a distinct Canadian diocese, which had been formally established on 26 May, 1983. Moreover, Bishop Christopher had (as Bishop of Eastern America and Canada) served as the administrator of the new diocese up until this moment.

In the newly-formed Diocese of Canada, 11 new Temples were established and sanctified under the leadership of Vladika Georgije. In addition, the first Serbian monastery was established in Canada. The Cathedral of All Saints of Serbia is in Mississauga, Ontario, and the Monastery of the Transfiguration is near Campbellville, Ontario. Bishop Georgije re-founded the Federation of the Circle of Serbian Sisters in Canada. He brought many priests to Canada to serve the numerous immigrating people, and to develop the new parishes.

1988 : 75 years

In 1988, there were events at Saint Nicholas Temple (Barton Street), which marked the 1913 establishment of the Saint Nicholas parish in Hamilton. These included a special concert which included the participation of all the various groups in the parish. Other major events occurred during the year, which also included the marking of the first millennium since the baptism of Kievan Rus' in 988.


75th anniversary programme 1988 2.png 75th anniversary programme


Construction of a residence for the priest, 1988

In 1988, the parish house (rectory, parsonage) was built for the priest’s residence. During that time, the chair of the building committee was Ranko Vukosavljević, and the president of the church-school congregation was Petar Manojlović. The house was completed in August 1988, and in September, Protopresbyter Lazar Vukojev and his family moved in. Father Vukojev had a beautiful voice and good musical ability, and he formed a church choir called “Young Serbs”.

Frescoes for the walls of Saint Nicholas Cathedral, 1988

It is important not to forget that on 22 February, 1988, on the first Thursday in Great Lent, with the blessing of Bishop Georgije, the Temple began to be painted with frescoes. The president at that time was Peter Manojlović. The artisan was the iconographer Dragutin Maronić, from Serbian Dalmatia.

Saint Nicholas Temple (Nash Road) elevated to cathedral status,1988

Although the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Canada had been established, and Bishop Georgije had been ordained to the Holy Episcopate in the Temple of Saint Nicholas (Nash Road), a cathedral parish for the diocese had not yet been officially designated. This Temple had, however, been referred to as such in an unofficial manner.

On 18 December, 1988, the Temple of Saint Nicholas was elevated to the dignity of a cathedral.

A gramota (blessed certificate) was given to the dean, Protopresbyter Stevo Stojisavljević, on 19 December, the Temple’s Altar Feast-day.

Saint Nicholas (Barton Street) Serbian School, 1990

In September, 1990, a longtime goal was realised when the basement of the Temple was converted to a new school facility. The school and the school-books were blessed by Priests Djuro Vukelić and Svetozar Šećerov.


New Serbian School 2.png Blessing the new school and books

25th anniversary of Saint Nicholas (Nash Road) : improvements, 1990

On 3 June, 1990, on the Feast of Pentecost, 3 gold-plated Crosses were installed on the roof of the cathedral. They were the gift of the family of Ranko Vukosaljević, and they were blessed by Bishop Longin (Krčo) of Australia and New Zealand on the same day.

On 14 June, 1990, the 3 gilded Crosses were raised and placed on top of the 3 [1] of the Temple.

Also in 1990, a set of bells was raised into the belfry.


Raising the bells, 19901.jpeg Raising the bells


On 8-9 September, 1990, the 25th anniversary of the blessing of the Nash Road Temple was observed. There was a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy served by Bishop Irenej (Gavrilović) of Niš (now patriarch) and Bishop Georgije of Canada. They were assisted by Father Stevo Stojisavljević, Father Lazar and Father Dobrica of [https://www.svetisavalondon.com/index.php Saint Sava Serbian Orthodox Church] in London, Ontario. The iconography was now completed. On this occasion an Hierarchical Liturgy was served by Bishop Georgije, Bishop Mitrofan (Kodić), and Bishop Dositej (Marchansky). The Sponsor of the iconography was the president, Ranko Vukosavljević.

The iconostas, the gift of Milke Stojančević, is the work of the masters from the workshop of Argyria Kavrulakisa in Iraklion on the island of Crete, completed in 1977. It is richly carved from walnut wood. The same workshop made the choir balcony loggia.

The frescoes were made from 2001 to 2004, and they are the work of Father Theodore Jurevič, a Russian priest and iconographer from Erie, Pennsylvania.

In 2003, he made the parish a copy of the Hilandar Miraculous Icon of the Virgin with Three Hands, on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the parish. The icon is located below the beautiful ciborium which was carved in Belgrade from Slavonian oak. From the same Belgrade workshop came many other items, and the front door.

Healing the schism, 1992

Beginning in 1991, Patriarch Pavle (Stojčević) opened talks with the Free Serbian Orthodox Church with a view to healing the schism. After some detailed conversations, an agreement was reached.

The mutual eucharistic unity was confirmed at a joint Divine Liturgy at the Holy Visitation of the Virgin Cathedral Temple in Belgrade in February, 1992.

Visit of Patriarch Pavle (Stojčević), 1992

On 21 October, 1992, both the church-school congregations of Saint Nicholas in Hamilton were visited by Patriarch Pavle (Stojčević) of Serbia, along with his delegation. His humility and love were always visible.

Patriarch Pavle will be remembered forever as the leader who healed the Serbian Church Schism. He reached out to the diaspora by being the first Serbian Church Patriarch to visit North America.

The Divine Liturgy was served in the Temple on Barton Street, and a banquet was organised after the Divine Liturgy.


Patriarch Pavle 2.png Patriarch Pavle (Stojčević)


Next, the patriarch was taken to the property where the Holy Transfiguration Monastery was being established, south of Campellville near Milton, Ontario. There, he blessed the cornerstone of the new Temple of the Holy Transfiguration, after which he then returned to Hamilton.

This time, he went to the Saint Nicholas Cathedral on Nash Road. Children and youth were dressed in folk-costume ; and with flowers in their hands, they lined up on both sides of the path, and they made a way for the patriarch from the street to the entrance to the Temple. The patriarch walked on a white fabric-covered path. People were cheering and clapping. The bells were ringing at the same time. This experience was unforgettable for those who were present. Vespers was served.

Afterwards, Patriarch Pavle preached a homily in which he expressed his joy, and at the same time he asked the Serbian Orthodox faithful to cultivate peace, love, harmony and forgiveness amongst them. There was then a dinner in the banquet hall, which included many speakers. Amongst these were Metropolitan Amphilohije (Radović) and the Mayor of Hamilton Bob Morrow, who praised the Serbian Orthodox people as Hamilton citizens who are hard-working, honest, and significant contributors to the progress of Hamilton and Canada in general. Also, donations were collected in order to help the needy Serbian people in the fatherland. Everyone in the delegation said that this reception was the best-attended and the best-organised including in the USA.

The healing of the schism, the visit of the patriarch, and the recovery of mutual co-operation provided from then on a visible example of the fruits of mutual forgiveness.

On 5-7 February, 1993, the church-school congregation of Hamilton was the host for the assembly of the Diocese of Canada. Bishop Georgije and all the priests of the diocese participated.

Areas of responsibility of the combined communities in Hamilton

There are 2 church-school congregations in Hamilton, and both are dedicated to the memory of Saint Nicholas the Wonder-worker.

The one on Nash Road consists of the west-Hamilton parish towards Stoney Creek, together with Grimsby, Burlington and some farm-towns.

The east-Hamilton one on Barton Street East includes the main part of the city of Hamilton, Ancaster, Brantford, Mount Hope and Dundas.

In 1993, there were about 7,000 Serbs in both groups together.

More recent developments

In 1995, when Father Djuro Vukelic was preparing to retire, Priest Vojislav Pavlovic was sent to serve the Saint Nicholas parish on Barton Street. Originally from Valjevo, Serbia, Father Vojislav had previously served in a parish in New Jersey, USA. He immediately established an excellent rapport with the parishioners and with Father Vukelic, his predecessor. The transition was smooth. His energy enabled many new undertakings : a successful repair (reconstruction) of the main dome and of the roof of the Temple ; initiation of the fresco project ; renovations of the school and hall, and several publications.

In 1997, the Barton Street community organised the first formal Ball, which then became a welcome annual event. They feature creative themes, great prizes, and a delicious meal, all for the cause of helping the parish.

Bombing of Serbia, 1999

For 88 days in 1999, NATO undertook a campaign of bombing Yugoslavia in the context of the Kosovo War. It enforced the separation of Kosovo from Serbia. This intervention had long-lasting consequences. However, it brought about greater unity amongst Serbs in general.

In 2000, after a period of planning and searching for an artist, Father Theodore Jurewicz, an Orthodox priest and iconographer from Erie, Pennsylvania, become a part of the Barton Street parish for a 4-year endeavour. The previously all-white walls of the Saint Nicholas Temple came alive with images of the life and miracles of Christ, and of the saints of the Church. It was true labour of love and devotion. This Temple is the only one in Canada to have frescoes completed by this true master.

In 2003, Father Theodore Jurevič made the parish a copy of the Hilandar Miraculous Icon of the Virgin with Three Hands, on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the parish.

The icon is located below the beautiful ciborium which was carved in Belgrade from Slavonian oak. From the same Belgrade workshop came many other items, and the front door.

The Circle of Serbian Sisters, 1912/1934

Kolo Srpskih Sestara, 1912

The “Kolo Srpskih Sestara” (Circle of Serbian Sisters, KSS) was a humanitarian organisation organised by the women of Serbia in Serbia, as a way of helping refugees, orphans, amputees and veterans of the Balkan Wars (1912-1913). When the Serbs came to Canada, they continued this organisation here.

Queen Mary Circle of Serbian Sisters, 1934

On 25 February, 1934, the “Queen Mary Circle of Serbian Sisters” was formed by 12 sisters, who met in the parish hall. They organised this circle, and decided to call the group “Queen Mary”, and to be under the protection of Saint Petka. This circle functioned independently from the parish, but of course it worked closely with the parish administration and the priest. “Queen Mary” is the oldest of the circles of sisters, and they helped the groups that were forming in Vancouver, Sudbury and Windsor by providing them with much-needed moral support and advice.

During World War II, the “Queen Mary” circle organised donations and collected clothing and foodstuffs and any other items that they could find. They sent these donations to various camps in Europe to those who were in need. At the end of this war, there were many Serbs arriving in Hamilton, and these sisters helped them to find a place to live and to become established properly. They also provided help to the basketball team, the folk-dance group and they provided gifts to Vancouver, Windsor, Sudbury, Libertyville, the Red Cross, and to disabled children. At that time, they collected $7,500.00. They further provided clothing, food and medication to the brothers and sisters all over Europe who were living in labour camps.

The “Queen Mary” circle purchased a property which they called “Oplenac”, where they built a road, a fence, a gymnasium and a bakery. All this cost about $17,000.00. Oplenac was situated on the escarpment above Hamilton, and it had 5 wooded acres. Bishop Sava (Vuković) was planning to build a monastery in the Canadian part of his diocese. The sisters had decided to give Oplenac to him as a gift for the future monastery, which Bishop Sava accepted. However, this project was not realised because Bishop Sava was transferred back to Serbia. The sisters then sold the property, and with the proceeds, they helped many churches in Canada and in the homeland.

When Serbs came to Canada after World War II, they continued the organisation in this country. The parish founded its own KSS branch, “Mala Gospojina” (in honour of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary) in 1949. Alongside humanitarian work, the KSS fundraised for the parish and represented the community in various multicultural exhibits and celebrations in Hamilton. Knowing that the [Yugoslav communist government had banned the KSS, the Serbian women of Hamilton took up the torch of doing good works for their parish, their community and for all in need, despite having been separated from such women’s circles in Serbia.


KSS 2.png Circle of Serbian Sisters


The sisters were very much engaged in the construction of the new Temple in 1964-1965. They collected a significant amount of money, and they gave large gifts to the parish at Christmas, Pascha and on the Slava (Altar Feast-day) of Saint Nicholas. On 3 February, 1985, they prepared a special banquet in honour of Bishop Georgije (Djokić), the first Serbian Orthodox Bishop of Canada. As a gift to welcome him, they gave a cheque of $4,865.00. For the construction of the Temple of Saint Sava in Belgrade, they donated $15,000.00 in the same year. Thus, they became numbered amongst the founders of this new Temple.

In 1989, the Kolo Srpskih Sestara (KSS) had a contract with the Art Gallery of Columbus, Ohio, to create icons in stained glass on all the windows of the Temple. The south side of the Temple shows all the Serbian saints. The north side of the Temple shows other Orthodox Christian saints. In the rose-window of the Altar, there is shown the Resurrection of Christ. This was a gift of Milica Čelar for US $36,000.00.

One of the groups is named the “Circle of Serbian Sisters of the Movement of Serbian Četniks, Ravna Gora”. It was constituted in 1957. Their goal was through their organisation to maintain a connexion with the Četnik movement, and to support the movement. They did this in the usual manner of women’s auxiliaries. In particular, they were concerned with helping the sick and war veterans. This movement, and the associated circles of sisters, are found in Western Europe, North America and Australia. Their activities also include maintaining Serbian customs and traditions, religious and national holy days and festivals, and strengthening the fight for freedom. They regularly attend church services. Some of them are members of the choir, and their activities are very visible through their donations and personal work. They serve as a positive example to other sisters.

On 19 March, 1967, the 3rd KSS in the name of “Saint Nicholas” was organised at the Serbian Orthodox Church of Saint Nicholas in Hamilton, in co-operation with the other 2 older groups. In this case, however, only ladies who, with their husbands, were members of the Saint Nicholas parish could be members of this KSS. Some members of the other 2 groups were also members of this younger group of sisters. This group of sisters works to prepare parties, dinners and other functions, and they all purchase needed items for the Temple and for the hall, such as curtains and carpets. They had collected $3,000.00 to contribute towards the iconography.

Psychological cross-section and parish process

Hamilton has 2 steel-factories. One is now owned by a US company, and the other by a Dutch company. It is therefore understandable that several thousand workers arrived in the city for this reason.

The first arrivals before 1913 had been farmers, labourers and tradesmen who had no knowledge of English. They could not move from place to place. Since the social structure of the Serbs had changed, they exhibited significant knowledge and they presented a sort of competition to the older members. Younger Serbs became better educated. They became lawyers, teachers, doctors, and other sorts of professionals. However, they were less involved in church life than their ancestors had been. It was also understood, however, that the young intellectual members could not understand the Serbian language properly. Their understanding of Church Slavonic was even less.

The parish and Serbian community in its 2 locations, through the course of an entire century has shared the joys and sorrows of the Serbian people, including 2 world wars, the great economic depression, the periods of economic rise and fall in Hamilton, as well as the tragedy of wars across the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s. The parish has always guided and supported humanitarian assistance to the Serbian people in the homeland as well as to refugees and newcomers in Canada.

"Problems" of the parish

The "problems" of the parish can be divided into 2 groups. One is those of the older generations and the other is those of the younger generations.

With the older generation, it is not clear why a number far greater than the membership of the church-school congregation appear from time to time for sacramental and special occasions, but they do not wish to become active members of the parish. Many of them are not involved at all in church life, either as members or as parishioners. The question is how they feel. The excuses for non-involvement given towards the Church and the Serbian community are neither clear nor definite. Many of them are critical about church activities, while they refuse to become involved in such a way as to help to improve things. This is worrisome, since their children will be yet farther away from their Orthodox Christian Faith and awareness of their Serbian nationality, and eventually they will no longer identify as either. They will become easy prey for sects. It is felt that it is an important and great task to communicate with such persons and to try to help to encourage their increasing participation. One major contributor to this situation is the time during which communism predominated in Yugoslavia. People often think of the church, therefore, only as being like a political party or a power-group, which is the opposite of the truth.

With the younger generation, the situation has been that many young people attend church school up until the age of 13 or 14, after which they become more distant from church life and sometimes stop attending altogether. They re-appear when they are ready for marriage because they want to be married in the Temple. Then they disappear until their children are ready to be baptised. This is the situation for the majority of the young people, even though there are some who very regularly do attend and participate in the services, go to confession and receive Holy Communion. Discussions are in progress about this situation, and ways are being sought to help the young remain active or return to being active.

Discussions are being organised for the older generations about the Orthodox Faith, and Serbian culture and customs. It is hoped that this will help some of them to come into fuller participation.

Plans for the future

The 2 church halls are not enough for the many activities offered in the Hamilton church-school congregation of Saint Nicholas. Building a new hall with more space would provide better-equipped classrooms which would help to provide a better learning atmosphere for the learners, and perhaps encourage more to participate. A library is necessary to help those who come to the services to read religious and national literature, and where they could spend some of their spare time reading in their ancestral language, and discussing various situations. Besides this, it would be a good opportunity to meet the priests more often, since their offices are beside the Temple. They could be consulted for various concerns.

There are 2 choirs of both adults and of children. At the present time, none has enough members. There will be appeals extended to encourage the participation of both adults and children in these choirs. Many Serbs do not understand the Mysteries of Confession and Communion, and they do not participate in them yet, or they do not at all. Through preaching, teaching and discussions, the priests are ready to explain both the nature and the importance of these fundamental mysteries of church life.

It is also intended to build a seniors’ residence for older persons amongst the Serbian Orthodox. It is perceived that the congregation already has enough property for such an undertaking.


Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Nash Road expansion plan 2.png Projected Nash Road expansion plan

100 years, 2013

On 15 October, 2013, the Church-school Community of Saint Nicholas in Hamilton celebrated its first 100 years of service to Christ in Hamilton. Bishop Georgije (Djokic) led the celebrations, particularly at the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Temple, and also at the festive meal and programme which followed.


Temple interior at centennial.jpg Interior of the Temple

 Hamilton’s St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church celebrates 10 decades
 
 'Hamilton Spectator' (by Stacey Escott)
 
 Mile Popovich sat at the head table during a Serbian feast in his church and smiled when he said he’s been 
 coming to St. Nicholas just for a little while.  But really, the longest standing parishioner has been a 
 member for 65 years.
 
 ‘In 1948, I came to Beach Road and I enjoyed the church while I worked for the Trans-Canada Highway’, 
 Popovich said.
 
 Born in Serbia, the 89-year-old former Dofasco employee spent time in Italy before he came to Canada as a 
 displaced person.  He was enjoying the weekend festivities and celebrating the 100th anniversary of St. 
 Nicholas Church.
 
 Located on Barton Street, east of Kenilworth Avenue, it’s the oldest Serbian Orthodox parish in Eastern 
 Canada, and Hamilton is home to one of the largest Serbian populations in the country.  It began as a small 
 wood church in 1917 on Beach Road before moving into its current home in 1973.
 
 Parishioners packed the church on Sunday morning, where they stood for the service (there are no pews) under 
 glorious murals that covered every inch of the inside.  The paintings were done by one man, Father Theodore Jurewicz, 
 an orthodox priest, from 2000-2004.
 
 ‘We are good Christians and we come and help the church’, said Svetomir Matovich, 96, the oldest member at 
 St. Nicholas.  ‘My whole life, the church has been so important’. 
 
 Matovich was a prisoner of war for four years while he was in Yugoslavia during the Second World War. He 
 continued to pray as they were not allowed to attend church while they were in the German camps.  His face 
 lights up when he talks about the young children who come to St. Nicholas and carry on the Serbian traditions 
 that mean so much to the older generations in the room.
 
 Reverend Vojislav Pavlović has been at St. Nicholas for 18 years and says the parish means everything to its 
 members.
 
 ‘It’s a protector of language, culture and faith.  It’s the ties back home.  We are very thankful to our 
 fathers and great grandfathers who built the church’, he said.

Retirement of Bishop Georgije, enthronement of Bishop Mitrofan, 2016

In 2015, Bishop Georgije (Djokic) retired.

On 18 September, 2016, Patriarch Irinej (Gavrilović) enthroned the new bishop of Canada, Bishop Mitrofan (Kodić), in the cathedral of All Saints of Serbia in Mississauga, Ontario. He became the second bishop in its history to lead the diocese.


Enthronement-157.jpg Enthronement

Hierarchical visit, 2018

On Sunday, 21 October, 2018, there was a special celebration at the Saint Nicholas Cathedral (Nash Road) in Hamilton.

On the Feast of the Fathers of the Seventh Ecumenical Council, the parishioners rejoiced at the arrival Bishop Mitrophan (Kodić) of the Serbian Diocese of Canada, who Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the cathedral. Concelebrating with him were Archpriest Stavrophor Stevan Stojsavljević ; Archpriest Stavrophor Prvoslav Purić ; and Archpriest Djuro Samac and Deacon Aleksandar Mitrović. In his homily, Vladika Mitrophan spoke about the Sower who sows his seed (Luke 8:5-15), and he reminded us of the Holy Fathers of the 7th Ecumenical Council who during their time, which was in no way easy, despite the persecutions and the dangers they faced, continued to sow the seed of God's word, firmly and without fear. Thanks to them, in the first place, we have icons today to use in our prayers to the Lord God, the giver of all things.

On that day also, the Kolo Sestara "Kraljica Milica" celebrated their Slava, of Saint Petka. This Kolo is the oldest Kolo in North America, founded in 1934. It was in that year that King Alexander was assassinated in Marseille, France. The Kolo was named after the King's wife, Milica.

The second reason for joy in the Serbian community in Hamilton was the visit to the Saint Nicholas Cathedral of His Royal Highness Crown Prince Alexander Karadjordjević and his wife, Princess Katherine.

Through the efforts of the Kraljica Milica Kolo and of the Saint Nikola Kolo, and with the co-operation of the "Lifeline Organisation" a fundraising banquet was organised at the Saint Nicholas Cathedral. HRH Crown Princess Katherine is the patron of Lifeline. Two hundred and fifty guests attended the affair. Offering greetings were Miroslav Cucuz, the church board president, and Ruza Loncar, of the Kolo Sestara.

All the proceeds from the banquet went to the purchase of devices for early detection of breast cancer, which are badly needed in Serbia.

Visit of Bishop Teodosije of Rashka-Prizren, Kosovo and Metohija to the Diocese of Canada, 2019

From 8 to 24 February, 2019, Bishop Teodosije (Šibalić) of Rashka-Prizren, Kosovo and Metohija made a visit to the Serbian Diocese of Canada.

On Sunday, 24 February, 2019, at 10:00 a.m., Vladika Teodosije (Šibalić) served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy at Saint Nicholas Cathedral (Nash Road) in Hamilton, Ontario. This was followed by a banquet in the parish hall. The bishop came and asked for the intercessory prayers for his diocese by the Faithful of the Saint Nicholas congregations of Hamilton, and he brought blessings to these Faithul as well from this Serbian Holy (and Home) Land.

Parish organisations

Serbian Četniks Folk-dance Group

This folk-dance group was organised in 1962. In the earliest days, the practices were in private homes, because an appropriate general space was yet lacking. When the new Temple and hall were built, there were better facilities for the training, practices and rehearsals of the group. The folk-dancers were also members of the choir. The group performed wherever they were invited, both in Canada and the USA. In 1989, the group performed in England, where it participated in the 600th anniversary of the 1389 Battle of Kosovo.

Folklore Folk-dance Group, 1975

In October, 1975, a folk-dance group called “Avala” was organised. It grew into a large group, in which 144 children were amongst the dancers. They were divided into 5 groups.


Avala folkore group 1.png “Avala” folk-dance group

All the Hamilton folk-dance groups are performing across Canada and the USA, and there is a tendency for the dancers also to be choir-members.

Sports Groups

From the very beginning of this church-school congregation, there were several football (soccer) teams. On 13 September, 1959, in the parish hall on Beach Road, it was decided to found a soccer-club under the name “Balkan”. It eventually changed the name to “Serbia”. It became a well-known sports club.


Hamiltonserbianssoccer 1959 2.png 1959 Hamilton Serbian Soccer team


Saint Nicholas Church Choir

In January, 1964, a group of singers was organised. Proper books were needed for church services, and this group acquired 47 of these books for the Temple, as required. Because of the lack of space, they began by rehearsing in private homes.

In 1965, this choir participated in the Serbian radio programme, and it gained significant popularity for the church choir and music.

In 1972, under the direction of the wife of Deacon Stevo Stojisavljević, the choir progressed significantly in its repertoire and quality. Later, Deacon Stevo was ordained to the Holy Priesthood.

Since 1974, this same choir has participated in the Serbian Singing Federation of Canada and America. Since then, it has been invited and participates in all competitions in both countries. They have won many prizes. In the same way as the Circles of Serbian Sisters, the choir has collected money and supported the construction of Saint Sava’s Cathedral in Belgrade.

Children’s Choir

In the late 1960s, besides the choir for adults, a children’s choir was founded, with the name “Obilić”. The participating children were also active in the folk-dance group. In this case, children from Oakville, Ontario, came to be involved. In 1985, the choir was re-organised, and it participated in the various celebrations.

In July, 1989, it was again re-organised, and this time it was re-named “Mladi Srbi” (Young Serbs). The singers are between 7 and 15 years of age. At the beginning, there were 23 members, and this grew to 38 in 1993. This choir was directed by the Protopresbyter Lazar Vukojev.

Saint Nicholas Church School

The first church school was established at the time of the sanctification of the Temple. At first, the school met in a garage on the property near the Temple. Then the church-school congregation decided that it was necessary to make a better space for the school. Therefore, it was decided to extend the ground-level of the church hall. The congregation understood that because the construction was still in progress, the cost would not be much increased and the church-school congregation would have the needed classrooms. It was agreed that these classrooms would be built between the Temple and the church hall at ground level. The priests were the main teachers in this school, where they taught both religious subjects and the Serbian language.

Year after year, the number of children grew. In about 1990, there were 7 classes of children aged 7-15. Some of the children have also served as altar-boys and readers.


SKOLA-2013-2014 2.png Saint Nicholas Serbian Church School


Radio and television programmes

The participation of the Hamilton priests on the local Hamilton TV channel began in 1989. They were guests in a series, “Kosovo” which was hosted by Milisav Marković. The conversation would be about both cultural and religious events.

In 1991, they managed to achieve an independent television series, “Serbian Culture and Traditions”. The programmes were in the Serbian language, and they were made up of several parts. They included Serbian artists, folk-customs, church choir, children’s choir, folk-dancing, and Serbian national instruments and folk-music. It was very successful, and it was viewed by many Canadians.

Theatre group

At the end of 1948, a Serbian folk-theatre group was organised. The actors were amateurs who were much appreciated by the public. However, the following generations were not very enthusiastic about the theatre and presenting plays, so this group ceased to function.

However, in 1960, a Serbian national theatre group was organised, which was called “Kosovo”. Besides performing, the group appeared monthly for a half-hour on the local television channel. This lasted for years, during which the group presented Serbian culture and customs. Besides comedies and dramas, folk-songs were included in order to remind the viewers about their Serbian past.

Particular parish information

This church-school congregation is a part of the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Canada. The bishop is Bishop Mitrofan (Kodic).

This church-school congregation follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Slava (Altar Feast-day) of this parish is the Feast of Saint Nicholas, 6/19 December.

In 2022, the pastor of the western parish on Nash Road is the Protopresbyter Djuro Samac. The pastor of the eastern parish on Barton Street is the Protopresbyter-Stavrophor Vojislav Pavlović.


Addresses :

Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Cathedral and Hall

149, 153, 157, Nash Road South

Hamilton, Ontario

L8K 4J9

Telephone : (905) 560-0563

Fax : (905) 560-6772

Web-site : https://www.snsn.ca/


Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church

1415, Barton Street East

Hamilton, Ontario

L8H 2W6

Telephone : (905) 547-0101

Web-site : https://www.saintnicholas.info/en/


Directions :

  • Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Cathedral, Nash Road South

From the Queen Elizabeth Way near Lake Ontario, take the exit for the Red Hill Valley Parkway. Take the exit for Queenston Road (Highway #8), and then turn left on Queenston Road. Drive to Nash Road and turn right. Drive past Dover Drive. The Temple is on the left.

There is bus service along Nash Road South.


  • Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church, Barton Street East

From the Queen Elizabeth Way near Lake Ontario, take the exit for the Red Hill Valley Parkway. Take the first exit, towards Barton Street. At the end of the ramp, turn right. The Temple is on the right at Division Street (before arriving at Kenilworth Avenue).

There is bus service along Barton Street.


  • Western Parish (Nash Road):

Priest Djuro Samac

Telephone : (905) 979-5806

E-mail : Samacd@hotmail.ca


Priest Radovan Kodić

Telephone : (289) 887-3803

E-mail : svstenik.hamilton@gmail.com ; radovan.pravoslavac89@gmail.com


  • Eastern Parish (Barton Street East) :

Protopresbyter-Stavrophor Vojislav Pavlović

Telephone : (905) 387-9782

E-mail : protavoja@gmail.com


The information for this article is taken primarily from the web-site of the church-school congregations, and from the book, “Schematism of the Canadian Serbian Diocese 1983-1993”, published by the Canadian Serbian diocese.

References

The Russian Mission in North America

“Schematism of the Canadian Serbian Diocese 1983-1993” (Etobicoke, Ontario : Istochnik Press, 1993) (Serbian with English).

Parish history article


Additional information :

Merick, Priest Rade, “The Serbian Orthodox Church in the United States of America and Canada : 25 Years of Maturing

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.

Tomović, Vladislav A, “Canadian Serbs : A History of Their Social and Cultural Traditions (1856-2002)” (Fonthill, ON : Batlik Publishing, 2002). ISBN 10 : 0920642403 ISBN 13 : 978-0920642405.

Vasiljevic, Maxim, “The Serbian Christian Heritage of America : the Historical, Spiritual and Cultural Presence of the Serbian Diaspora in North America (1815-2019)” (Alhambra, CA : St Sebastian Press, 2019). ISBN 10 : 1936773554 ; ISBN 13 : 978-193773558.

(Vuković), Sava (Bishop of Šumadija), “History of the Serbian Orthodox Church in North America and Canada, 1891-1941”, translated by Karin Pieck-Radovanovic (Kalenić, Serbia, 1998).

Orthodoxwiki article about the Church of Serbia

Orthodoxwiki article about the Serbian Orthodox Church in North and South America

Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Eastern America

Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Canada

Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Canada web-site (in Serbian)

Wikipedia article about Serbian Orthodox Eparchy (Diocese) of Canada

History of the Serbian Orthodox Church in America

Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Milton, Ontario

Saint Nicholas the Wonder-worker

Saint Mardarije (Uskoković)

Patriarch German II (Djorić)

Patriarch Pavle II (Stojcević)

Patriarch Irinej (Gavrilović)

Patriarch Porfirije (Perić)

Bishop Dionisije (Milivojević)

Bishop Firmilian (Ocokoljić)

Bishop Irinej (Kovačević)

Bishop Longin (Krčo)

Bishop Georgije (Djokić)

Bishop Mitrofan (Kodić)

Parish web-site information

History article on the Saint Nicholas Cathedral Nash Road web-site

Saint Nicholas Church (Barton Street) Historical time-line

Saint Nicholas Church (Barton Street) History pdf

Patriarch Irenej of Serbia served in Hamilton (22 April, 2012)

Hamilton’s Saint Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church celebrates 10 Decades (11-13 October, 2013)

Cathedral in Hamilton celebrates Church Slava (22 December, 2014)

Nine Hundred welcome Patriarch Irenej in Hamilton on Barton Street (23 June, 2015)

Patriarch Irenej at Kolo Slava in Hamilton, Ontario (21 September, 2015)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) concelebrates at new Serbian Bishop’s Enthronement (18 September, 2016)

One Hundredth Anniversary Celebration with photo album (4-5 November, 2017)

Bishop Mitrophan Kodic and a God-pleasing Deed at Saint Nicholas Church in Hamilton (21 October, 2018)

Visit of Bishop Teodosije of Rashka-Prizren, Kosovo and Metohija to the Diocese of Canada (8-24 February, 2019)

Christmas Message of the Bishop of Canada, Bishop Mitrophan (Kodic) (2020-2021) (in Serbian)

Wikipedia article about Serbian Canadians

Encyclopedia article about Serbian Immigration to Canada, and Serbian Music in Canada