Chipman AB Saint John the Baptist Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1900

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search

St John the Baptist Chipman.jpg

Chipman, Alberta, Church and Cemetery in the Name of Saint John the Baptist, 1900


Prehistory

In the years 1895-1905, the region near Chipman, Alberta, Canada, began to be settled. However, Wasyl Eleniak, along with his brother Peter, were amongst the very first to arrive, even earlier. They had left their homeland in Galicia (Austro-Hungarian Empire), and they had landed in Montréal, Québec, in 1891, at the same time as Ivan Pylypiw, who later settled at Star-Edna. The Chipman settlement is about 18.5 km (11.5 mi) distant from Star, the other earliest centre of the Star-Edna block settlement. Wasyl Eleniak farmed and raised a large family, and he reposed in the Lord at the age of 97.

In 1900, even before the establishment of the village, 10 pioneer families, in the vicinity of present day Chipman, joined together and resolved to establish an Orthodox Christian Temple of the Russian Greek Orthodox Church in America, then known as the “Russian Mission”. Up until then, and for some time later, the Orthodox Christians at Chipman would travel 19 km (12 mi) to the north in order to worship at Holy Trinity Church at Old Wostok. This was where the first Orthodox Christian services were offered in 1897, and it was the centre of missionary activity in the region at that time.

They bought 10 acres of land from the government for $10.00 per acre. That land is located to the east, across the road from the present site of the Temple. Even though they owned the land, their resources were insufficient to construct a Temple. Therefore, for their spiritual needs they travelled 19 km (12 mi) north to the Holy Trinity Church at Stary Wostok. To travel this distance by foot or by horse takes many hours, not minutes. Not long after their arrival, in the first 10 years or so, members of the founding families began to be active in the local civic government as well.

Founding the Temple, 1900

In 1900, the first Temple of the present parish was formally founded. Because the community could not yet afford to build as they wished, a small log building was built on the homestead of Petro (Peter) Stefura, approximately 5 km (3 mi) east of Chipman. Thus, the community came to be known by the nickname "Stefura's". This established the first community which was at first a Ukrainian Catholic parish, dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

The members of the first parish council were :

 Fred Antoniuk ; W Fedora ; Stefan Holowaychuk ; Mike Kleparchuk ; William Melnyk ; Fedore Pewarchuk ; 
 Michailo Sorochak ; Petro Stefura ; John Ulan ; John Winnick. 


In 1915, the parish was divided into 2 groups, one Uniat Ukrainian Catholic, and the other Russo Orthodox. The Orthodox group was larger in number, and the result was that the Orthodox group was obliged to pay $1,500.00 to the Uniat group, since the property was held in common. There remained some difficulties that had prompted Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky) to suggest that the Orthodox resell their portion to the Uniats. Nevertheless, the faithful people preferred to persevere and to retain the land. Meanwhile, the Uniats constructed their own church in Chipman.

The original Orthodox parish (named for the Nativity of the Theotokos) was relocated to a portion of the farm of Petro Stefura.


Saint John's at first site, 1922 1.png With Bishop Adam, 1922


Fire destroyed the first Temple, 1923

Then, on 23 February, 1923, the Temple inexplicably burnt at 4:00 a.m. The original site of this building is still discernible because of the 50 graves nearby.

Second Temple, 1925

When the Temple was destroyed by fire, it was decided to construct a new one on the 10 acres of land that this parish owned in Chipman. At this time, the Canadian National Railway (CNR) was willing to sell a 10-acre parcel where the Temple now stands. This piece of land was traded to the parish by Mr. Magzag who bought it from the CNR. The members taxed themselves according to their own abilities to raise money for a new building. The new Temple, which cost $5,000.00, was designed by the Priest Andrew Kokolsky (+1979), and it had the very distinctive features of a large central dome and a high bell-tower over the west entrance of the Temple.

On 7 July, 1925, the patronal Feast-day of Saint John the Forerunner and Baptist of the Lord, the Temple was sanctified by Bishop Adam (Philipovsky), and dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. This dedication was chosen in part to show gratitude to the 3 members of the building committee, who were all named "John".


Saint-John-the-Baptist-Chipman-AB 1925 1.png The second Temple, in 1925


It was said that the interior of this Temple was a masterpiece of design and beauty. The first impression was the beauty of the iconostas (icon screen). It had been carved by Mr. Harry Holowaychuk, a master wood carver. Mrs. Helen Achtemychuk was the donor of this iconostas. The John Winnick family donated the well-toned bell for the bell-house.


Saint-John the Baptisthipman AB 1930 1930 2.png The Temple in 1930, with Archbishop Adam


In 1934, a large choir was organised in the parish. It was led by a local precentor, Mr. Laudubetz. The parish also had an active social life amongst its members.


St John the Baptist Chipman colour 1.png Iconostas and chandelier 1.png

Saint John the Baptist Second Temple (left) Temple interior, iconostas, chandelier (right)


Winter view from northeast 1.png The second Temple viewed from the northeast


As with other rural parishes, this community suffered from the rural depopulation that followed the Great Depression and World War II.

Third Temple, 1965

After 38 years, on the night of 27 September, 1963, a fire (again of undetermined origin) completely burnt the Temple, along with all its rich and historical contents. Nevertheless, a building committee was immediately organised.

In the spring of 1965, construction of a new Temple began, undertaken with volunteer labour by the members. In 1964, Mr Nick Stroich, an Edmonton architect developed a design for the new building. It was the recommendation of William Melnyk that Sam Widynowski be hired as the head carpenter.

The corner-stone was blessed by Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk). With some sub-contracting, the construction began in the spring of 1965. The building was closed in and the first service was conducted in the autumn of 1965 by Father Evgeny Bartchewsky. The finishing progressed slowly as funds became available. This building, of modern design, is rectangular in shape, and it is made of concrete-block walls. The central cupola is covered in aluminum, and there are 4 smaller, closed domes on the 4 corners.

A new, wood-carved iconostas, imported from Greece, was installed in 1976.

On Sunday, 4 July, 1976, the present day Temple was sanctified by Bishop Job (Tyvoniuk) of Zaraisk, assisted by the clergy of the Patriarchal Orthodox Parishes in Canada (now responsible for this community).


Chipman third Temple 2.png Saint John the Baptist Third Temple


St John the Baptist Chipman AB Bell Tower.jpg Bell-house


In 1980, donations were received and a beautiful 264-lamp chandelier was imported from Greece, and installed to hang from the top of the dome.


Chanelier 1980 2.png New chandelier


Metropoolitan Philaret ; Bishop Kliment ; Father Peter Vlodek 1983 1.png

Metropolitan Philaret (Vakhromeyev), Bishop Kliment (Kapalin) and other visitors ; Archpriest Peter Vlodek at rear


Bishop Kliment's visit 1.png Bishop Kliment, archpastoral visit


Bishop Kliment, parishioners, Orthodoxy Day 1985 1.png

Bishop Kliment, local clergy and others, Orthodoxy Day, 1985, 88th anniversary of Orthodoxy in Canada

Millennium of the Baptism of Rus', 1988

In 1988, the Russian Orthodox Church, the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada, and the parish of Saint John the Baptist celebrated the millennial anniversary of the Baptism of Rus'. There were celebrations around the world.


Father Michael Fourik Children Christmas Concert 1990 1.png

Archpriest Michael Fourik with children at the 1990 Christmas Concert

Centennial of Orthodoxy in Canada, 1997

In 1997, in celebration of the centennial anniversary of the first celebration of the Divine Liturgy, Metropolitan Philaret (Vakhromeyev), Metropolitan of Minsk and all Belarus led an entourage of official representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate to the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada.

In July, 1997, the entourage arrived to pray with the Faithful at Saint John the Baptist Church in Chipman, Alberta.


Centennial visit Metropolitan Philaret 1.png Metropolitan Philaret arriving


Metropolitan PHilaret centennial visit 1.png Metropolitan Philaret and the entourage in the Temple


Metropolitan Philaret at Chipan on centennial 1.png Metropolitan Philaret addressing the Faithful


Metropolitan Philaret, entourage,1997 1.png Metropolitan Philaret and the Faithful

The Cemetery of Saint John the Baptist Church, 1900-1924

Those interred in the first cemetery include :

 Helen Achtemychuk ; John Achtemychuk ; Maria Achtemychuk ; Mary Antoniuk (baby) ; Unknown Dolniski ; 
 Maria Ewasiuk ; John Fedora ; Wasyl Fedora ; Nancy Hlushko (3 weeks) ; Olga Hlushko (18 mo.) ; 
 Harry Holowaychuk ; John Hrynyk ; Baby Hrynyk ; Dmytri Kaletchuk ; Barbara Kefluik ; Euphia Kudryk ; 
 Baby Kudryk ; Nancy Kudryk (age 8) ; Billy Melnyk (baby) ; Palagia Nykilchuk ; Alexandra Osinchuk ;
 Bill Osinchuk ; Fedko Pewarchuk ; Steve Pitch ; Matrona Proskurniak ; Paraska Romaniuk ; Baby Romaniuk ; 
 Harry Sawchuk ; Mike Sawchuk ; Theodor Sawchuk ; Matthew Senyk ; Natasha Sharun (age 2) ; Peter Sharun (age 8) ;
 Harry Shulba (age 2) ; Peter Stefura ; Tehenia Swischuk ; Yacko Swischuk ; Unknown Teretiuk ; Wasyl Ulan ; 
 Billy Ulan ; Child Ulan ; Maria Wiznowich.
 The Archpriest Thaddeus Ewachniuk and the Archpriest Theodore Varkhol are interred in this cemetery. 


First cemetery site A 2.png First Cemetery B 2.png

Monument at the first cemetery, front and rear views

The Cemetery of Saint John the Baptist Church, 1925

The new cemetery began to serve the parish in 1925, and it continues so to serve.


Chiman Cemetery and Temple 2.png Temple and cemetery from south 2.png

Aerial views of the third Temple and the second cemetery, from the east and from the south


Panihida in the First Cemetery, 1993 2.png 1993 Panikhida at the cemetery, Archpriest Michael Fourik


Since 1925, the parish membership has been served by the following priests :

 Priest John Khrustawka ; Archpriest Andrew Kokolsky ; Archpriest Peter Vdovichenko ; Priest Anton Radchuk ; 
 Archpriest John Kowalchuk ; Archpriest Theodore Varkhol ; Archpriest Dmitry Denesiuk ; 
 Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk) ; Archpriest Thaddeus Ewachniuk ; Priest John Lucyshyn ; 
 Archpriest John Wasyl ; Priest-monk Mefody (Osadchuk) ; Priest George Marinetz ; Archpriest Wasily Hochachka ;
 Archimandrite Dimitry (Schur) ; Archimandrite Germogen (Cherkasin) ; Mitred Archpriest John Margitich ; 
 Archpriest Evgeniy Bartchewsky ; Archpriest Victor Petluchenko ; Archpriest Boris Grigory ; 
 Archimandrite Vlas (Vitenko) ; Priest Anthony Chilkowich ; Archpriest Nikanor Shymko ; Priest Stefan Abramchuk ; 
 Archpriest John Voronko ; Archpriest Michael Fourik ; Archpriest John Shandra ; Priest Alexey Surayev.

Parish particular details

In addition to its primary purpose of serving as a parish church, because of its central geographical situation, the Temple also serves as the primary place for meetings and general services for the “Orthodox V Charitable Association”.

This parish is a part of the Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada. It is part of the grouping known as "Orthodox V" (that is, Orthodox 5). The bishop is Bishop Matthew (Andreev).

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of the parish is the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist, 24 June/7 July.

In 2022 the pastor of the parish is the Priest Alexey Surayev.


Parish sign 2.png Parish sign


Address :

Saint John the Baptist Russo Orthodox Church

Corner of 41 Street and 49 Avenue

Chipman, Alberta

T0B 0W0


Directions :

From Edmonton, drive northeast on Highway #15 to Chipman. The distance is 70 km (44 mi), and the journey takes a little more than an hour.

The Temple is found on the east side of the village of Chipman, at 41 Street and 49 Avenue. Chipman is in the County of Lamont.


The mailing address of the parish is that of the priest.


Priest Alexey Surayev, Pastor of the parish

5003-46 Street, PO Box 483

Lamont, Alberta

T0B 2R0

Telephone : (780) 895-2149

Mobile : (780) 991-4981

E-mail : aleksurus@gmail.comv


Bishop Matthew (Andreev) of Sourozh,

Administrator of the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada

Addresses :

10812-108 Street

Edmonton, Alberta

Canada

Telephone : (780) 420-9945

OR :

67, Ennismore Gardens

London, SW7 1NH

United Kingdom

Telephone : 011-44-207-584-0096

E-mail : sourozhdiocese@me.com



Saint John the Baptist Chipman 2.png

Saint John the Baptist Temple (photo by www.aerialphoto.ru)

References

“Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada : Pictorial Memories, 100 years, 1897-1997” (Edmonton : Patriarchal Parishes in Canada, 1997).

“Pride in Progress : Chipman - St. Michael - Star Districts” (Chipman, Alberta : Alberta Rose Historical Society, 1982), pp. 575-576. ISBN : 0-88925-369-2.

Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, “Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, Millennium of the Baptism of Rus’” (Edmonton : Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, 1988). ISBN 10 : 0-88925-830-9 ; ISBN 13 : 978-0889258303.

The Russian Mission in North America

Original article


Additional information :

Moscow Patriarchate Parishes web-site

“History of Patriarchal Parishes of Russian Orthodox Church in Canada”

Wikipedia article about the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada

Orthodoxwiki article “Russian Orthodox Church in Canada”

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about the Orthodox Church

Saint Tikhon (Belavin)

(Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)

Archbishop Joasaph (Skorodumov)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)

Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)

Metropolitan Ireney (Bekish)

Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)

Metropolitan Herman (Swaiko)

Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)

Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard)

Metropolitan Nikolai (Shkrumko)

Metropolitan Kliment (Kapalin)

Metropolitan Makary (Svistun)

Metropolitan Philaret (Vakhromeyev)

Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk)

Bishop Job (Smakouz)

Bishop Matthew (Andreev)

Mitred Archpriest Andrew Kokolsky

Mitred Archpriest John Margitich

Mitred Archpriest Michael Fourik

Chipman article

Chipman Wikpedia article

Prairiesouls cemetery names

Geneofun cemetery reference

Roadsidethoughts cemetery reference 2

Findagrave cemetery reference (first cemetery)

Findagrave cemetery reference (second cemetery)

Findagrave cemetery names

Brochure "Church Capital of North America Lamont County" (articles and photos about some of the 47 churches in the county), p. 20.

Photos of Temples in Alberta