Mitred Archpriest John and Matushka Helen Margitich

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


MitredArchpriestJohnMargititch 2.jpg

Mitred Archpriest John Margitich (1917-1991)

and

Matushka Helen Margitich (1919-1994)


Early life of John Margitich

John Margitich, son of William (Basil) and Anna Margitich, was born on 1 June, 1917, in Beaver Meadows, of Carbon County, Pennsylvania. This is located in the Pocono Mountains.

His family, as others, had earlier emigrated from the Carpatho-Rus’ Ruthenian region, often called Trans-Carpathia, to the USA. This is an area on the west side of the Carpathian Mountains, and it includes parts of modern Slovakia. His father was a cantor in Uzhgorod in Trans-Carpathia before emigrating to the USA.

There were other children : brothers Joseph, Steven, Emil, George, Basil, Michael Margitich (born in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania, on 29 November, 1928) ; sisters Helen and Anne.

In the early 1940s, John was serving at Saint Michael's Orthodox Church in Binghamton, New York, as a choir-director. Then, he was asked by Mitred Archpriest Joseph Havriliak to lead the singing at the parish of Saints Peter and Paul in Passaic, New Jersey.

Earlier, in Binghamton, John had met his future wife, Helen Sevak, daughter of Charles and Katherine Sevak. She had been born on 16 March, 1919, in Binghamton, New York. At that time, she was distinguished as "soprano soloist" in the choir at Saint Michael's Church.

Marriage

On 7 September, 1941, John Margitich was crowned in marriage with Helen Sevak, .

They received from the Lord 2 children : Illona, and John Basil.


John,HelenMargitich 2.jpg Mr. & Mrs. Margitich

Ordinations, 1948

On 8 February, 1948, Father John Margitich was been ordained to the Holy Diaconate ; and then, on 9 February, 1948, to the Holy Priesthood by Metropolitan Makary (Ilinsky) in New York City.


PriestJohnMargitich1948 2.jpg Priest John Margitich

Pastoral service

Father John Margitich was assigned to serve as the 2nd priest to the Mitred Archpriest Joseph Havrilak in Saints Peter and Paul’s Church in Passaic, New Jersey.

His brother Michael Margitich was ordained to the Holy Priesthood 5 years later on 18 July, 1953 (after he was married). He was ordained by Archbishop Dimitry (Magan) in Cumberland, Rhode Island. He began to serve as a US Air Force Chaplain in 1954, and he retired in the rank of full colonel after serving for 30 years.

Transfer to Canada, 1956

After 8 years of service in Passaic, Father John was transferred to Canada by the metropolitan of the Russian Exarchate of North and South America, Metropolitan Boris (Vik).

On 23 May, 1956, the Priest John Margitich was assigned to serve as the rector of Saint Barbara’s Church. He moved to Edmonton, Alberta, from Passaic, New Jersey, where he had been serving, in order to serve the parish.

Together with Matushka Helen, he served it thereafter as a father and a shepherd, and in this parish his family grew up. At first, he served in the original Temple building, constructed in 1908.

On 15 June, 1956, the parish council and the congregation began the building of a new, more capacious multi-cupola building. The previous wooden Temple had become too small for the many parishioners who now attended. The very active leader of the construction of the new Temple was the newly-assigned rector, the Priest John Margitich. It was he who actively led the collecting of funds and resources for the project. Designed by the local church architect, Nicolas Flak, the building of the Temple was completed in 1958.


St Barbara Cathedral 3.png

Saint Barbara's Cathedral, Edmonton


The Temple was first blessed in 1958 by Metropolitan Boris (Vik) of Odessa, Ukraine, the Exarch of the Exarchate of North and South America. Then it was sanctified on 31 July, 1960, by Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk). In later years, Father Margitich commented :

 Every able-bodied person pitched in and labored to raise funds.  All made pledges or donations, each 
 according to his ability.  Even those who were unable to assist because of age or infirmities looked 
 forward to the completion of our present church which was designated as a cathedral by the Mother Church 
 on August 8, 1959.

There were other projects that followed later. Saint Barbara’s had become an actual cathedral parish, and its parish council tended to catalyse other communities nearby.

Father John was described as being a friendly, assertive and music-loving priest. He had a great sense of humour, and a compassionate heart. He was also known as the “visiting priest” in all the hospitals in Edmonton. He visited people in many places, and he was never shy to speak to anyone. His disposition, and the attention that he paid to people tended to draw more people into the cathedral parish. This was his characteristic throughout his pastoral service. It was clear from seeing him at worship that Father John loved both the services of the Church, and the proper singing of them. He was also very careful about the cleanliness and tidiness of the Temple itself.

Probably because of his contacts with the Russian Exarchate, Father John had avenues of communication available to him with the Moscow Patriarchate. In Canada at the time when he had arrived, there was a scarcity of priests, regardless of jurisdiction. Father John was able to fill the gaps by inviting (together with the diocesan and cathedral councils) several clergy to Canada to serve both in Edmonton and in the rural parishes for a time. These clergy were in Canada on visas that carried many limitations and conditions (because of the Cold War). Even when bishops came from the USSR (Soviet Union) to serve in Canada, this was the case.

Fire in Chipman ; reconstruction of the Temple, 1963-1965

On the night of 27 September, 1963, a fire of undetermined origin completely burnt the Temple of Saint John the Baptist in Chipman, Alberta, along with all its rich and historical contents. Nevertheless, a building committee was immediately organised, probably with the support of the diocese and of Father Margitich who already had practical experience.

In the spring of 1965, construction of a new Temple began, undertaken with volunteer labour by the members. With some sub-contracting, the building was closed in and the first service was conducted in the autumn of 1965.


St John the Baptist Chipman 1.jpg

The new Temple of Saint John the Baptist in Chipman


On 31 March, 1970, the Moscow Patriarchate gave autocephaly (self-government) to her daughter church, the "Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America" (ROGCCNA), the name of which was then changed to "The Orthodox Church in America" (OCA). At this time, the Russian Orthodox Exarchate of North America was ended, and it was replaced by an "Administration of the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada" and an "Administration of the Patriarchal Parishes in the USA", which cared for those parishes which did not enter the new sister-Church (the OCA) of the Moscow Patriarchate.

On Sunday, 4 July, 1976, the 3rd Temple in Chipman was sanctified by Bishop Job (Tyvoniuk) of Zaraisk, assisted by the clergy of the Patriarchal Orthodox Parishes in Canada.

Construction of a new Temple in Nisku, 1964-1965

Because the Administration of the Moscow Patriarchate Parishes in Canada was and is headquartered at Saint Barbara's Cathedral, and because from the earliest days, there was a close relationship between Saint Barbara's Cathedral in Edmonton and the Parish of Saint Mary, Nisku, and because the clergy who have served at Saint Mary's in Nisku are sent from the cathedral, Father John had a special responsibility for Saint Mary's parish in Nisku (even though it was not always he who served the community liturgically). The close relationship between these parishes was evident already in the time when Saint Arseny (Chahovtsov) was serving as an archimandrite in Edmonton. Saint Barbara's Cathedral has been a sort of "mother" to the many other rural parishes in the region.

In January, 1964, at the annual meeting of the Parish of Saint Mary, Nisku, it was decided to build a new church building. It was understood that the old Temple was both too small and in need of repairs. The committees were appointed, and a design similar to the one that had been agreed upon in Chipman was approved.

On 21 January, 1965, fundraising was earnestly undertaken, and the contract was awarded on 16 May, 1965.

On 23 May, 1965, the site for the new Temple was chosen and blessed by Father John Margitich.

By 5 December, 1965, the construction was completed, including the complete renovation of the old iconostas. On that day, the first Divine Liturgy was served in the new Temple by the new rector, Father Constantine Stakhovsky, together with Father John Margitich. This new Temple was sanctified by Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk) on 19 June, 1966.


Saint Mary Nisku 2.png

Nativity of the Theotokos Church (Saint Mary's), Nisku


At some time, the Archpriest John Margitich was awarded the mitre (an award to priests given primarily by the Russian Orthodox Church).

Exceptionally, Father John was also given the blessing to wear 2 pectoral Crosses.


Margitich family 1.jpg MargitichFamily,1979 2.jpg

Margitich Family


Father John Margitich had served frequently at Saint Mary’s between 1962 and 1965, when Father Constantine Stakhovsky arrived. It was in this parish that Father John had served a baptism for the first time after his arrival in Canada. Throughout many years, Father John was considered to be an “honourary pastor” to the parish.

As for many other bishops and priests, Father John was the main facilitator of the immigration to Canada of Bishop Makary (Svistun).

25 years of service in Edmonton

On 7 June, 1981, the parishioners of the cathedral marked the 25th anniversary of the beginning of the service of Father John and Matushka Helen in the cathedral parish. They showed their love and gratitude for his devoted service over these years in nurturing the parish family.

Father John’s activities in public relations were known citywide, by many religious organiszations, and by lay people. He was also recognised by many for his promotion of activities by the Sisterhood and Orthodox Fellowship Club of the parish.

Father John and the cathedral parish were assisted faithfully by the Margitich family. Matushka Helen, in her specially quiet, and sympathetic ways, was always involved with the activities of the church, the choir, and the sisterhood. While Father John was involved with “day-to-day” church duties, or visiting the sick in Edmonton hospitals, or promoting the Ladies’ Bazaar, Matushka Helen was at home – answering the phone and recording the many messages relative to Father John’s activities. Regardless of the time of day, she always awaited Father John’s “return” from his pastoral duties. Besides her “secretarial” duties, for many years, Matushka served as “cantor”. She sang at many funerals, weddings, prayer services, and special church holidays. Matushka Helen accepted responsibility ; and her helpful, kind manner was not only a great asset to Father John and his family, but also to the parishioners of Saint Barbara’s Cathedral. Both Father John and Matushka Helen were highly respected by the Edmonton community at large. Their children were likewise active in serving and singing in the parish life.


Father John 1.jpg

Repose of Father John, 1991

The Mitred Archpriest John Margitich fell asleep in the Lord on 9 March, 1991.

The Funeral Services for the Burial of a Priest were served at the Cathedral of Saint Barbara in Edmonton.

After the funeral services, the body of Father John was interred in the Saint Barbara section of Saint Mary’s Cemetery at Rabbit Hill-Nisku, Alberta.

Father John Margitich was survived by his wife Matushka Helen, one daughter Illona (Ernest) Leugner of Sherwood Park ; one son John Basil (Caroline) of Edmonton ; 3 grandchildren, Barbara (Jeff) Zaboroski of Edmonton, David Leugner of Sherwood Park, and Sarah Margitich of Edmonton ; 2 sisters, Helen Magas and Anna (George) Senich, all of Scranton, Pennsylvania ; 6 brothers, Steve (Eleanor) of Scranton, Pennsylvania, Emil (Irene) of Allentown, Pennsylvania, Deacon Joseph (Matushka Mary) of Scranton, Pennsylvania, Archpriest Michael (Matushka Eleanor) of Santa Rosa, California, George (Helen) of Upper Montclair, New Jersey, Basil (Mary) of Clifton, New Jersey.

Repose of Matushka Helen, 1994

Matushka Helen Margitich fell asleep in the Lord on 2 March, 1994.

On 8 March, 1994, the Memorial Divine Liturgy, and the Funeral Service for the Burial of a Lay-person were offered at Saint Barbara’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Mitred Archpriest Michael Kit led the services.

After the completion of the funeral obsequies, her body was interred in the Saint Barbara’s Section of Saint Mary’s Cemetery at Rabbit Hill-Nisku, Alberta.

Matushka Helen was survived by her loving family : daughter, Illona (Ernest) Leugner of Sherwood Park ; one son John Basil (Caroline) of Edmonton ; 4 grandchildren, Barbara (Jeff) Zaboroski, David Leugner and Sarah and Jacob Margitich ; one brother, Charles Sevak Jr., of Chicago, Illinois ; one sister, Margaret (Joseph) Kadlec of Binghamton, New York.


77386444 1399400989 Father John Margitich headstone.jpg Father John Margitich grave-marker


77386443 1399400957 Matushka Helen Margitich headstone.jpg Matushka Helen Margitich grave-marker

Reflections

The Archpriest John Margitich, together with Matushka Helen, served at Saint Barbara’s Cathedral until the end of their lives. For Father John, this was a period of about 25 years. For Matushka Helen, this period was only slightly longer.

Father John welcomed people warmly and without barriers. His will be remembered for his “common sense” and his care for the flock entrusted to him.

For many who are aware of the history of Saint Barbara's Cathedral, the completion of the construction of the Second Temple in 1958 is regarded as the main tangible legacy of Father John. Nevertheless, the invisible legacy of his pastoral ministrations are more far-reaching and longer-lasting in their effect.

What Vladyka Makary said about Father John at the time of the funeral might be, to some extent, said about himself by others :

 He gave love and compassion to the people ; he strove all his life to bring to the people love, peace 
 and joy. 

He also said :

 He could be found wherever there was sorrow, sickness and loneliness.

In his article on the 25th anniversary of the repose of Father John, Bishop Iov (Smakouz) called attention to the good example which Father John provided to the priests around him :

 Archpriest John 4 times made a pilgrimage to Holy Russia to the Shrines of the then-suffering Mother Church.  
 He was hardworking, kind, caring and cheerful. Father John took an active part in the life of many Patriarchal 
 parishes, and he assisted the new arrivals on official trips for pastoral service, priests from the "Old Land" 
 and all who addressed him. The pastoral day of Father John usually began with a visit to hospitals and nursing 
 homes, where he confessed and communed the residents with the Holy Mysteries of Christ, where he prepared the 
 dying with reading words from the Gospel, and where he comforted the afflicted.  On Feast-days and on weekdays, 
 he arrived at the temple for prayer long before the services began, and he was the very last to leave it.  He 
 always found for himself a spiritual lesson in following this custom.  

Three of the brothers of Father John served the Church as clergy.

Father John's younger brother, Archpriest Michael Margitich, was of similar disposition to Father John. After his retirement from the chaplaincy in 1984, he continued to serve as a very active parish priest. He and Matushka Eleanor helped to develop 2 missions into self-sustaining parishes, one in Massachusetts and one in California. Father Michael Margitich reposed in Christ in Santa Rosa, California, in 2017.

His brother Joseph served the Church as a deacon.

As has been the case in many Orthodox Christian families, the distinctions (sometimes divisions) of "jurisdictions" in North America is reflected in family life as well. In Father John's family, some belonged to the Russian Exarchate of the Moscow Patriarchate in the USA (and the successor administration of the Patriarchal Parishes in the USA), and some belonged to the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America (and the successor, The Orthodox Church in America). Other families have divisions which include the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. Yet other families experience a division between the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese and various Greek Old Calendarist entities. Sometimes, the families maintain harmony despite their differences. In the case of the Margitich family, they have all been serious Christ-loving Orthodox Christians who have been serving the Lord in the Church faithfully.

Legacy of family faithful service in the Lord

Daughter Illona, besides being an active member of the Ladies’ Aid, remained a very devoted member of the Cathedral choir. Husband Ernest Leugner was involved with the Church as treasurer for several years. Ernest, Illona, and son David continued to support with enthusiasm all church functions.

Son John was involved from his early boyhood as an Altar-server, and as a choir member. From 1965, John led the congregation's singing in the Sunday morning Pro-Liturgy services celebrated in the English language. He also served as lead tenor in the Cathedral choir. He married Caroline Gorgichuk and they had 2 children, Sarah and Jacob.

Truly, there was an “all-family involvement” by the Margitich family in the church life of Saint Barbara’s parish.

Repose of John B Martigich

On 9 November, 2019, John Basil Margitich, son of Father John and Matushka Helen, fell asleep in the Lord. Following the funeral obsequies at Saint Barbara's Cathedral, his body was buried in Saint Barbara’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral Cemetery, Nisku, Alberta.

35th Anniversary of Repose

On 2 March, 2026, a Panikhida (Memorial Service) was offered at Saint Barbara's Cathedral by Mitred Archpriest Igor Kisil, with Deacons Andrei Boldireff, Stephan Nagy, and Alexander Toportchan.

Present were the living members of the Margitich family, and the faithful parishioners of the cathedral. The memory of the service of Father John and Matushka Helen continues to be kept with love, and gratitude.

References

‘Pastoral Letter’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger”, no. 1 (1979), pp. 5-6. [This “Canadian Orthodox Journal” was a journal formerly published in Edmonton, AB, by the Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada.]

‘Archpriest John Margitich, 25 Years of Pastorship in St. Barbara’s Cathedral’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger”, no. 1-2 (1981), pp. 12-13. [This “Canadian Orthodox Journal” is a journal formerly published in Edmonton, AB, by the Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada.]


Additional information :

Archdiocese of Canada — Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988)

Sharko, Emily ; Fedor, Hope : St. Mary’s Russian Greek Orthodox Parish (Nisku) Historical Society, “Echoes of Faith : St. Mary’s Russian Orthodox Church, Nisku, Alberta” (Nisku : St. Mary’s Russian Greek Orthodox Parish (Nisku) Historical Society, 1985). ISBN 0889254990.

St. Barbara's Russian Orthodox Cathedral, “A century of faith : St. Barbara's Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Edmonton, Alberta, 1902-2002”. (Edmonton : St. Barbara's Russian Orthodox Cathedral, 2002). ISBN : 0973117400. ISBN : 9780973117400.

Findagrave reference for Father John Margitich

Findagrave reference for Matushka Helen

Saint Barbara’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta

Saint John the Baptist Russo Orthodox Church in Chipman, Alberta

Nativity of the Theotokos Russo Orthodox Church in Nisku, Alberta

Orthodoxwiki article about the Russian Orthodox Church

OrthodoxWiki article about the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada

Wikipedia article about the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada

Patriarchal Parishes in the USA

The Orthodox Church in America

Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk)

Metropolitan Boris (Vik)

Metropolitan Makary (Svistun)

Bishop Matthew (Andreev)

50th Anniversary of the Repose of Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk)

The DECR Chairman on a Trip to Canada”, 10 September, 1998

“25th Anniversary of the Death of Protopresbyter Ioann Margitich”, 8 March, 2016

”Saint Barbara’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral” (January, 2012), pp. 1-4.

35th Anniversary of the Repose of Mitrеd Archpriest John Margitich (March 9, 1991) (12 March, 2026)