Nisku AB Nativity of the Theotokos Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1898
Nisku, Alberta, Church and Cemetery in the Name of the Nativity of the Theotokos, 1898
"The Nativity of the Theotokos Church" at Nisku is also known as "The Nativity of the Theotokos Russo Orthodox Church" at Nisku, and as "Saint Mary's Russo Orthodox Church at Nisku".
Prehistory
In the 1890s, Canada opened its doors to immigration from Eastern Europe. These Slavic settlers arrived from numerous villages in the Jaroslaw County, Galicia (which is now in southeast Poland), and they arrived in the Rabbit Hill, Alberta, area, about 5 km (3 mi) to the west of the hamlet of Nisku. They were a part of the emigration movement which was encouraged by Dr. Josef Oleskow in Galicia. In fact, their way into this region was “paved” by the early arrival of Theodore Fuhr and his purchase of an existing farm. This farm was not far to the east of the North Saskatchewan River. The capital city of Galicia was Lviv (Lemberg, Lvov), and the people of the area were called Ruthenians (Rusyny), or "Little Russians" or "Red Russians". At the end of the 19th century, Galicia was suffering from economic difficulties and unemployment, wars and oppression. It was this environment that had motivated the new immigrants to leave for Canada.
Founding the Ukrainian Greek Catholic (Uniat) community, 1898
Gradually organising themselves in a new land, the early settlers were disheartened at missing the church services and feast-days which they fervently celebrated in the Old Country. Also, there was the question of securing cemeteries to bury their dead in a common location, because other churches would not accept the burial of Uniat or Russian Orthodox in their cemeteries. On 12 July (29 June), 1898, the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul, the priest Pavlo Tymkiewicz of the Greek Catholic Rite, consecrated a two-acre parcel of land at the land description site NE20-50-25-W4 as a cemetery to be used by the Slavic community. The land had been given by Andrew Halwa in order to begin a new parish. This donation provided the beginning of the parish that still exists on that location today.
In January, 1900, local community families resolved to begin the task of building a church. A sum of $100.00 was raised and construction was to begin on 26 March, 1900. The name of the new temple was to be consecrated to honour the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God. Construction began at the end of March under the direction of the German builder Andrew Wierzba.
The first members of this community included :
Ivan Borys ; Ivan Chanas ; Wasyl Chanas ; Hryhory Chemera ; Ivan Ewaskiw ; Andriy Fedor ; Andrey Halwa ; Ivan Hlubysh ; Wasyl Kadyk ; Theodore Kobaryhka ; Hryhory Koziol ; Wasyl Koziol ; Wasyl Krupa ; Jacob Maday ; Matviy Marushachka ; George Olekshy ; Tymko Pyrcz ; Ivan Sycz ; Petro Sycz ; Theodore Tymochko ; Andriy Wierzba ; Ivan Workun ; Michael Yaremko ; Stefan Yaremko.
The building committee included :
John Borys ; John Hanas ; Tymko Pyrcz ; John Workun.
Jakob Maday left the following comment on 26 March, 1900 :
We emigrated from our land partly because of poverty stricken conditions, conditions to which Ruthenians were subjected by Polish and Jewish elements and which drove the Ruthenians of Halych across the seas. It was on this account that we sold our ancestral land in our country, and sought a happier future for ourselves and our children in a far world.
On 18 December, 1900, the newly-constructed building was consecrated by the Priest Ivan Zaklynski. The land was registered on 18 December, 1900, as "St. Mary's Greek Catholic Church at Rabbit Hill". Ivan Hanas, Yurko Wasolowski and Ivan Workun were the registered trustees.
Founding the Orthodox Temple, 1898
Several pioneers who arrived in the Rabbit Hill area (several kilometres to the west of the railway station in the hamlet of Nisku) in 1896-1897 comprehended that, contrary to the situation in which they were under Polish and Austrian authority, they were no longer under any obligation to belong to the Greek Catholic Rite (Uniat Church). Thus, they began to follow the Faith of their forefathers, the Orthodox Christian Faith. A letter, which was signed by settlers both in the Rabbit Hill and in the Edna-Star regions was sent to the office of Bishop Nicholas (Ziorov) in San Francisco, California. This letter requested that pastoral care be provided to the newly-arrived Orthodox believers in the Central Alberta. The Rabbit Hill area was first visited by Russian Orthodox missionaries, the Priest Dimitri Kamnev, and Deacon Vladimir Alexandrov from Seattle, Washington, on 19 June, 1897, and a Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the home of Theodore Fuhr. Mr. Theodore Fuhr, being a fervent Orthodox Christian believer, donated land to build an Orthodox Temple. It was erected in 1902, and named after the Feast of the Holy Ascension.
The founders of this community include :
William Borys ; William Borys ; Joachim Dobko ; Kost Dobko ; John Doblanka ; Peter Doblanka ; Theodore Fuhr ; Anna Fuhr ; Mike Krupka ; Peter Kugh ; George Stetzun ; John Wasienczko ; Nikolai Wronko.
In 1904, Bishop Tikhon (Belavin) of the Diocese of the Aleutians and North America visited the Rabbit Hill area, and he led services at the Holy Ascension Church. (Vladyka Tikhon later become the Patriarch of Moscow and all Rus’ in 1917.) Bishop Tikhon awarded Theodore Fuhr with a “gramota” (blessed certificate), dated 12 August, 1904. The text honoured him for his work with the Holy Ascension Parish. Theodore had also been one of the signatories of a letter that had been sent to the bishop in San Francisco with the request for the services of an Orthodox priest. This letter opened the way for the return of many to the Orthodox Christian Faith.
Reconciliation, move, 1910
Before the end of the first decade in the new century, many families from the Greek Catholic Parish of Saint Mary’s expressed the desire to be unified with the Orthodox congregation of Holy Ascension. With the spirit of Orthodoxy growing in strength, the union of the 2 parishes took place under the condition that future services were to be held at Saint Mary’s Temple, since Saint Mary’s was the larger community and building.
The day of unification, in 1910, was a very solemn and highly emotional event. There was a large Cross-procession with icons and banners that proceeded from each Temple. The processions of both communities met on the road. When they met, both groups bowed deeply to each other, and they extended their arms towards each other. At this time, Archimandrite Arseny (Chahovtsov) gave an inspirational and emotional address to them all. They then formed a single procession towards Saint Mary's Church, where the Ukrainian Catholics were properly received into the Orthodox Church and they became a single Orthodox parish community through serving the Divine Liturgy. This event is but one example of such notable reconciliatory activities by Father Arseny throughout his life, and of the activities of other priests who were serving in the region. As a result of this most important event, the Temple of the Holy Ascension was closed. Theodore Fuhr disassembled the now disused Temple, which left only the cemetery on the original site.
Saint Mary’s Russo-Greek Orthodox Church was officially registered within the Canadian diocese of the Russian Orthodox Diocese of America on 2 August, 1917.
In 1917, the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia produced a long-lasting and far-reaching turmoil. The effects were felt in Canada as well. Although the Patriarchate of Moscow had been restored as a result of the change in government, the Soviet Union which replaced the Russian Empire intended to destroy the Orthodox Church. Patriarch Tikhon (Belavin), the first of the restored patriarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church (who had previously been the bishop of North America), was very much oppressed by the Soviets, so much so that he is widely understood to have become a martyr for Christ at his repose in 1925. The turmoil caused disagreements and some divisions within the Church. Along with bishops in Europe and the many bishops who were now living in exile in many countries, the Russian Diocese of North America was cut off from the Mother Church in most respects because of the political change, and the restrictions placed on the Church by the Soviets. Through the following decades, the North American Diocese and the Synod of Bishops known now as the ROCOR (the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia), were sometimes in communion, and sometimes not. In addition, 2 entities were introduced from the USSR. One was the Stalinist “Renovationist Church”, and the other was the Russian Orthodox Exarchate of North and South America. By 2023, not all the differences and divisions which developed had yet been completely resolved. However, these events did not directly or very strongly affect this parish.
Parish hall, 1930
After the Priest John Lucyshyn arrived in 1928, he began a movement amongst the parishioners to construct a parish hall, which was to be called a "national home". At a general meeting in 1930, there was a long discussion which resulted in the decision to construct a large hall (17 m by 8.5 m - 56 ft by 28 ft). The construction was completed in 1931. The hall became the social focus of the parish, and also of the neighbourhood. It became popularly known as the "Sprucedale Hall".
In 1953, the Imperial Oil Co. requested a right-of-way for a pipeline, which required that the hall be moved. Later that year, the hall was moved 30.5 m (100 ft) north from its former site. With this move, the hall received an extension to the front section in order to increase its capacity and allow for a complete kitchen.
Aerial view of the Temple and hall
Sisterhood
The sisterhood of the parish (called "The Laddies' Aid of Saint Mary's Church") was active in supporting the parish family from the earliest days. However, with the development of the parish hall, the sisterhood increased their activity as well. The women of the sisterhood have said from the beginning that although their work was often difficult, they have enjoyed the work and working together, and they have enjoyed supporting the parish family. The appearance of a kitchen in the hall made life immeasurably easier for the women. Previously, everything was cooked at home and transported to the hall. As time progressed, the women were able to contribute more to projects beyond the parish. They were able to contribute to construction projects in other parishes, to mission funds, to the Church Vacation School, to fire funds, to the Leduc hospital, to 4-H Clubs, to the Winnifred Stewart School, and to many other needs and projects. They also contributed to improvements in the hall, and to the construction of the new Temple. In 1971, the sisterhood paid for the installation of lavatory facilities and running water in the hall, which made a great change for the better. They steadily contributed to many further improvements. The sisterhood regularly prepared food to follow many regular and special services for the sake of the well-being of the parish family.
Sometime after 1945, the parish moved from the Archdiocese of Canada of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America (ROGCCNA) to the Russian Orthodox Exarchate of North and South America.
The sisterhood had long been an informal organisation from the earliest times. However, in 1948, afer the parish hall had been constructed, and the parish women organised themselves somewhat more. From 1948, when they organised an executive, they began holding bazaars, picnics, and other activities. Then, in December, 1954, the women formally organised themselves more formally (under the guidance of their former Matushka Anna Korablinov, who now lived in Calgary) to have an executive and regular meetings. The aim of the monthly meetings was to encourage the women of the parish to participate actively in parish and community functions. Through their service, they supplemented parish income, encouraged the youth, donated generously to various projects, helped with repairs and improvements, gave a large donation towards the construction of the new Temple in 1965.
For more than 60 years, the Ladies' Aid supported major fundraising projects and the family life of the parish in general (an annual Christmas programme, an annual Christmas banquet, Saturday School, hospitality on regular and special occasions, and much more). They provided generously for the welcoming of the large number of visitors from abroad. By 1985, their numbers had decreased from over 50 members to 20 active members, but they continued to serve faithfully. They never lost the sense of the priority of doing their best for the glory of God. They enjoyed working together as one spiritual family. Memory Eternal to all the women over the many decades who served the Lord faithfully in this parish family.
Rectory, 1950
In 1950, it was decided to construct a residence for the parish priest, and this was accomplished quickly. However, since the priests who serve the parish have continued to live elsewhere, the house has been rented to others to supplement the parish's revenues.
Choir, 1929
Since Orthodox services are sung, a cantor and singers have always been important in this, as in any parish. Sometimes, some hymns or a whole service may be sung by the whole congregation. At Saint Mary's, choral singing has been a long and strong tradition, as has been the case at Holy Ascension Church in Skaro and Saint Barbara's Church (Cathedral) in Edmonton.
In this community, the choir was formally organised in 1929 under the Priest John Lucyshyn, who hired the choir-director Mr. Zdril to train the choir for 7 weeks. The succeeding clergy encouraged the singers to persevere. Historically, the choir has been numerous, often as many as 40 singers of youth to seniors. They have been competent singers as well. Just as Archimandrite (later Archbishop Arseny) Arseny (Chahovtsov) wrote about his appreciation of the good singing at Saint Barbara's, so he would have appreciated the singing in the other 2 communities. The choir of Saint Mary's has given many concerts of both sacred and secular hymns and songs, and they have raised money not only for the parish, but also for organisations such as the Red Cross. This was particularly the case during the pastorate of Father Timothy Korablinov.
In the 1940s, Matushka Korablinov brought with her books with 4-part harmony books from the USA, which helped the singing greatly. These hand-written music scores were used until the 1980s and afterwards, until the English language began to be dominant.
From 1929, Harry Sharko undertook the task of leading the choir for 43 years, until April, 1972, at the midnight services of Pascha. This was the last time fulfilled his responsibility as a choir director. Until this time, he had worked with diligence, devotion and determination to prepare the music for the liturgical services under the encouragement of Fathers Nicholas Komarnitsky and Timothy Korablinov.
Mrs Lavia Borys (wife of Peter Borys), a life-long choir member, took up the responsibility of leading the singers after 1972.
From 1976 to 1986, Gregory Fedor led the choir, and introduced the greater use of the English language together with the usual Church Slavonic. He used material provided by Dr. Theodore Lopushinsky of East Lansing, Michigan (son of the later Priest John Lopushinsky), and he donated 3 voumes of liturgical music to the choir. Besides the materials available from the Patriarchal Parishes in the USA, he also obtained material from the Department of Religious Eduation of The Orthodox Church in America in New York, and particularly with regard to greater feast-days, Christmas, Holy Week and Pascha.
After 1986, Mrs. Lavia Borys again assumed the responsibility of leading Saint Mary's Choir. In addition to this, she served as a cantor and leader-of-singers in other congregations within the Patriarchal Parishes in the Edmonton area. She reposed in the Lord in 2011.
The longest-serving choir directors were :
Harry Sharko ; Mrs. Lavia Borys ; Gregory Fedor.
Second Temple, 1964
At the annual meeting of Saint Mary’s congregation, held in January, 1964, it was decided, after much discussion and deliberation, to build a new Temple. The original Temple was both small and showing its age. There was a meeting on 31 May, in order to finalise the plans, and on 17 June, the final approval was given to the plans of the architect, Nick E Stroich.
On 23 May, 1965, the site for the new Temple was chosen and blessed by the Archpriest John Margitich. There was a ceremony of turning the sod. The excavation then progressed rapidly. The cornerstone of the new Temple was dedicated and blessed on 22 August, 1965.
In the amazingly short time of 7 months, the new Temple was completed with the installation and complete renovation of the iconostas from the old Temple. On 5 December, 1965, the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the new Temple by the Archpriest Constantine Stakhovsky, pastor of the parish, and the Archpriest John Margitich of Saint Barbara’s Cathedral in Edmonton. The happy, proud and faithful Orthodox parishioners had come from near and far to witness the celebration of this first Divine Liturgy. The new Temple was crowded with approximately 300 people that day.
Early in 1966, the late John Sidjak of Edmonton constructed the new Holy Table and the Table of Oblation ("Prothesis") for Saint Mary’s Temple.
Sanctification of the Second Temple, 1966
On 19 June, 1966, the newly-constructed Saint Mary’s Russian Orthodox Church was sanctified in a traditional and beautiful service by Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk) of the Russian Exarchate in Edmonton, assisted by the resident priest, the Archpriest Constantine Stakhowsky and other diocesan clergy.
In 1981, a new bell-house was erected, and it was officially blessed by Bishop Ireney (Seredniy) on 13 June, 1982, when the annual “Orthodox Day” was held at Saint Mary’s. This was an annual summer celebration of the Orthodox Faith, in which parishioners from most of the patriarchal parishes gathered together in one of the Temples to worship.
75 years, 1985
In June 1985, Saint Mary’s parish observed her 75th anniversary as a Russian Orthodox parish in Canada (from the year of reconciliation, 1910). To commemorate this celebration, a parish history book, “Echoes of Faith” was published.
Some Clergy
Mitred Archpriest Peter and Matushka Olga Vlodek
From 1979 to 1989, the Mitred Archpriest Peter Vlodek and his wife Olga were present and active in Saint Mary's parish. Father Peter spent the maximum possible time in Canada which a visa for a cleric from the USSR would permit in those days. During the period in which he served in this parish (together with the other communities for which he was responsible), he did a considerable amount of research in the University of Alberta Library regarding Russian and Ukrainian history and literature, and he was constantly teaching his spiritual children about the Orthodox Faith.
He became greatly loved and respected. With the help of the choir-leader Gregory Fedor, he was able to introduce services such as the Nativity Vigil, and the rite of mutual forgiveness after the Divine Liturgy on Sunday before the beginning of Great Lent. Father Peter was a great homilist and catechist. He prepared 17 lessons to train acolytes, which at the request of parishioners became extended to inform all the faithful about the nature, purpose and structure of the various services. These lessons were given at special teaching sessions and copies were distributed. The details are summarised in the book "Echoes of Faith".
Upon his return to Ukraine, he was assigned to be the rector of the Lutsk Orthodox Seminary, a seminary whose structures and administration required "rebuilding from scratch". With God's help, and despite a catastrophic lack of funds, he successfully accomplished this task rather quickly. His teaching ability and his ingenuity enabled him to produce very many educational materials and to make them available to people in the parishes. When Canadian pilgrims visited him in 1994, he still had only the most basic educational resources available ; but his exposure to Canadian Orthodox believers and his extensive reading provided him with very many resources that were needed at the time. The seminary flourished under his paternal leadership. In 2016, although Matushka Olga had already fallen asleep in the Lord, Father Peter was still active as a nonagenarian in his retirement. Father Peter reposed in the Lord in 2017.
Archpriest Alexander and Matushka Nadezhda Smediuk
Father Alexander Smediuk followed in Father Peter's footsteps. He was very active in organising Sunday School classes, and visits with Archbishop Mark (Petrovtsiy). His wife, Matushka Nadezhda, was an active iconographer. Upon their return to Russia, Father Alexander and Matushka Nadezhda came to serve in the North-east Vicariate of the Moscow Diocese.
Cairn on the site of the first Temple
Archpriest Igor and Matushka Natalia Kisil
From their arrival in 1997, Father Igor Kisil, and his wife Matushka Natalia continued on in the same direction, and they used many of the resources used in other parishes produced by Father Michael Fourik. They produced many circulars and other publications for the formation of the Orthodox Christian Faith in the faithful people. He also helped the believers in all his parishes to be informed about Orthodox current events.
In 2004 and during the following years, the parishioners of Saint Mary’s were very involved in parish activities. They usually celebrate the Divine Liturgy twice a month and on many of the greater feast-days.
By 2016, the parish was using the English language for the most part, with some use of Church Slavonic. The parish has always had an active choir, and the parishioners have a reputation of faithfulness.
In 2018, the Archpriest Igor Kisil was transferred from Saint Mary's parish in Nisku to Saint Barbara's Cathedral in Edmonton.
Archpriest Evgeniy and Matushka Olga Protsenko
On 10 September, 2018, the Archpriest Evgeniy Protsenko (with his wife Olga) was assigned by Bishop Matthew (Andreev) to be the Rector of the Nativity of the Theotokos Temple in Nisku, and to serve the "Orthodox IX" group of parishes.
Priests who have served in the parish
Father Dmitry Kamnev 1897 Father Jakob, Matushka Barbara Korchinsky 1900 Father Michael Skibinsky 1904 Father (unknown) Krashitsky 1907 Father Theodore Varkhol Archimandrite Arseny (Chahovtsov) Bishop Alexander (Nemolovsky) Father Gregory Soroka Father Stachy, Matushka Maria Borychevsky 1916-1918 Father John Fedyna 1919-1922 Father Leonid Zubach 1922-1924 Father Alexei N Shovgeniuk 1924-1928 Bishop Adam (Philipowsky) 1927 Father John, Matushka Justina Lucyshyn 1928-1935 Father Silken Father Nikanor, Matushka Maria Komarnitsky 1936-1949 Bishop Adam (Philipowsky) 1938 Father Timothy, Matushka Anna Korablinov 1940-1944 Bishop Adam (Philipowsky) 1941 Father Evegnii T Prystupa 1944-1945 Father Maxim Chawriuk 1946-1947 Father George W Marinetz (from Mukachevo, Ukraine) 1948-1954 Father Vasily, Matushka Paraskevia Hochachka 1954-1962 Father John, Matushka Helen Margitich (with Father Stephen 1954-1962 Feica, Igumen Dimitry (Shchur), Father Emilan Kuzmich) Father Constantine, Matushka Helen Stakhowsky 1962-1967 Metropolitan John (Wendland) 1965 Father Alexei, Matushka Nadezhda Sokolovsky 1967-1969 Archbishop John (Kopolivsky) 1968 Bishop John (Shavykin) 1969 Father Victor Petluchenko 1970-1975 Bishop Makary (Svistun) 1970 Metropolitan Volodymyr (Sabodan) 1972 Father Vitaly, Matushka Anna Politylo 1975-1978 Bishop Job (Tyvenuk) 1975 Father Peter, Matushka Olga Vlodek 1979-1987 Father Michael Kit 1987-1989 Father Alexander, Matushka Nadezda Smediuk 1989-1997 Father Igor, Matushka Natalia Kisil 1997-2018 Father Evegeniy, Matushka Olga Protsenko 2018-____ Other priests who served in the parish include : Father Andrew, Matushka Maria Kokolsky ; Father Antoniy Radchuk ; Father John Lopushinsky ; Father Evgeniy Bartchevsky ; Igumen Germogen (Cherkasin) ; Father Dmitry Sagan ; Father Dorimidont Tovstuik (Chernovtsi) ; Father Anthony Chilkovich ; Father Vladimir Zayetz ; Father John Borcha ; Father Peter Kostiuk ; Father Anatoliy Harkusha ; Father Nikanor, Matushka Mary Shymko ; Father Arseny, Matushka Mary Melnyk ; Father Steven Abramchuk.
The cemetery of Saint Mary’s Parish, 1898
The parish cemetery is found adjacent to the property of the Temple itself at land description site NE 20-50-25 W4, about 5.6 km (3 ½ mi) west of Nisku.
The first interments were of 2 children Stephen (age 6) and Mary (age 4) Yaremko, who had succumbed to measles almost immediately after arriving in Canada.
In 2022, there were at least 319 interments in this cemetery.
View of part of the cemetery and the new Temple
The cemetery of Saint Barbara’s Cathedral, 1981
In 1981-1982, Saint Barbara’s Cathedral established a cemetery on 3 acres of land adjacent to the west boundary of Saint Mary’s Cemetery, at land description site NE 20-50-25 W4. This is found about 5.6 km (3 ½ mi) west of Nisku.
The cemetery of the Holy Ascension Temple, 1897
This cemetery is located at the land description site SW 19-50-25-W4 in Leduc County, to the west of Saint Mary's Church and Cemetery, and near the original site of Holy Ascension Orthodox Church on Theodore Fuhr's farm.
At this site (SW 19-50-25-W4) there is a commemorative stone marker, with the text :
This Cemetery Was Attached To The Holy Ascension Russian Orthodox Church. Which Was Organised In May 1897 By Then Missionaries Rev. Dimitry Kamnev And Deacon Vladimir Alexandrov On The Farm Of Theodore Fuhr Directly To The West. The Cemetery Was Consecrated In August 1901 By Bishop Tikhon (Belavin), Subsequently Patriarch Of Moscow And All Russia And Later Glorified As A Saint Of The Church (1989).
Interred in this cemetery are :
2 infant children of Wasyl and Katherine Borys ; John Doblanka ; Mrs. Anna Fuhr ; Mrs. Anna Krupka ; Baby Krupka ; Baby Kuhn ; Mrs. Anastasia Kuzio ; Infant Wasieczko.
Parish particular information
This parish is a part of the Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada. The bishop is Bishop Matthew (Andreev).
This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of the Temple is the Feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos, 8/21 September.
In 2022, the pastor of this community is Archpriest Evgeniy Protsenko.
Address :
Mary's Russo Orthodox Church of Nisku
50317, Range Road #260
Leduc County, Alberta
T0C 0V0
Directions :
Saint Mary's Church in Rabbit Hill/Nisku is 28 km (18 mi) south of Edmonton. The driving time is approximately 30 minutes.
The Temple is situated 4.8 km (3 mi) west of Highway #2 on Highway #19 (Devon Highway). The Temple is on the left.
Drive south from Edmonton on Highway #2 (Queen Elizabeth), and turn right (westwards) on Highway #19 (which is found at a major interchange). The Temple is found on the left, after having passed the Edmonton International Aeroport properties.
Contact the priest for specific information.
Archpriest Evgeniy Protsenko, Pastor of the parish
10812-108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T5H 3A6
Telephone : (780) 426-5163
Mobile : (780) 818-7343
E-mail : pokrova70@gmail.com
References
Alexandrov, V, “Journey to Canada : A Priest’s Diary”
“Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, 100 Years of Orthodoxy in Canada 1897-1997 : Pictorial Memories” (Edmonton : Patriarchal Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada, 1997).
Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, “Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, Millennium of the Baptism of Rus’” (Edmonton : Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, 1988). ISBN: 0-88925-830-9.
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Sharko, Emily ; Fedor, Hope : St. Mary’s Russian Greek Orthodox Parish (Nisku) Historical Society, “Echoes of Faith : St. Mary’s Russian Orthodox Church, Nisku, Alberta” (Nisku : St. Mary’s Russian Greek Orthodox Parish (Nisku) Historical Society, 1985). ISBN 0889254990.
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., "Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America" (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Additional information :
Moscow Patriarchate parish listing
Orthodoxwiki article about the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada
Wikipedia article about the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada
Russian Orthodox Exarchate of North and South America
Russian Mission in North America
Orthodox Church in America web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Archbishop Jonathan (Kopolovitch)
Archbishop Pantelimmon (Rudyk)
Archpriest Vladimir and Matushka Rose Alexandrov
Roots of Community : Theodore Fuhr of the Rabbit Hill Community near Edmonton
“History of Patriarchal Parishes of Russian Orthodox Church in Canada”
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about the Orthodox Church
Findagrave listing for Saint Mary’s Russian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
Holy Ascension cemetery : Vladimir Alexandrov commemoration
Nisku, AB, †Holy Ascension Russo-Greek Orthodox Church and Cemetery (Rabbit Hill), 1898-1910
Findagrave reference to Holy Ascension Russian Orthodox Cemetery
Findagrave listing for Saint Barbara's Cemetery
Waymarking.com listing for Saint Mary’s Russian Greek Orthodox Church in Nisku, Alberta
Interview with Vladyka Job (Smakouz) on the Occasion of the 120th Anniversary of Orthodoxy in Canada (12 August, 2017)
Anniversary of the First Orthodox Liturgy on Canadian Soil (14 July, 2022)
‘September, 1993 Celebration of 200 years of Orthodox missionary Activity in North America with Patriarch Alexy II & Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Winter 1993/1994), pp. 1-3.
‘Alberta Centennial Celebration, 27-28 July, 1997’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Winter 1997/1998), pp. 5-6.










