Narol MB Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1911
Narol, Manitoba, Church and Cemetery of Saint Nicholas, 1911
— Including material edited from a history by Esther Juce, 2011 (and David Hildebrand of Saint Andrew's College, 1986)
Prehistory
Between 1870 and 1900, many people from Eastern Europe began to emigrate from their homelands because of the economic and political difficulties there. Amongst them were people from various parts of what is now Ukraine, many of whom arrived in Canada.
The founding members of this particular parish of Saint Nicholas in Narol, Manitoba, Canada, came largely from the region around Brody in Galicia, at that time in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Now, it is in the L'viv Oblast region of Western Ukraine. When many of the immigrants from the Brody region arrived between 1900 and 1910, they tended to settle on the eastern side of the Red River as far east as Birds Hill. Most of them were either peasant families, or working-class people. After having arrived in Winnipeg, Manitoba, this particular group of newcomers settled on the farmland on the east side of the Red River, north of Winnipeg, and south of Selkirk. The region east of the Red River proved to be particularly beneficial. The land offered very productive farming, such that the whole area has continued to be well-known for market-gardening.
Like most Rusyns/Western Ukrainians, these pioneers had been Greek Catholic Christians in their homeland, which at that time belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Upon their arrival in Canada, the Ukrainian Catholics were the first to establish a community (Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church) at Gonor, Manitoba.
Holy Trinity Greek Catholic Church in 2016
After 1903, the people who wished to reunite with the Orthodox Christian Church of their forebears were presented with an early apparent alternative with the establishment of Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church in Gonor, which belonged to the so-called Metropolitan Seraphim (Ustvolsky), who had appeared unexpectedly in Winnipeg, Manitoba. They established under him the parish of Saint Nicholas (which later became part of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada).
Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in about 2016
However, there was yet another group of people amongst these newcomers to Canada who desired to be part of the canonical Orthodox Christian Church. In 1904, they separated themselves from that first Ukrainian Orthodox entity, and
they asked to become a part of the Russian Orthodox Mission. They also called themselves after Saint Nicholas. The establishment of this community (not far south of the previously-established ones at Gonor) came about in part because of the rather different histories and backgrounds of the 2 communities.
Although this community distinguished itself as a group of Orthodox Christian believers, it took them some years to set aside a parcel of land and to construct a Temple.
Organisation of the community ; first Temple, 1911
By 1911, these Orthodox Christian pioneers organised themselves into a parish community, acquired the present property, and they founded and built the Temple of Saint Nicholas in Narol, Manitoba, Canada. This is a small Orthodox Temple situated on the east side of the present Henderson Highway, and east of the Red River. It came to serve the communities of Winnipeg, and Selkirk, as well as the municipalities of East Saint Paul and Saint Clements.
However, with a Greek-Catholic formation, and the great liturgical and other similarities with the Orthodox Church to which they were accustomed, it may not be obvious why it was that the parish was organised as an Orthodox Christian parish. By the time the parish was being organised, the "Russian Mission" was already quite active in the region, and the most active person had been Saint Arseny (Chahovtsov). Able to speak many Slavic dialects, he was a beloved pastor and a compelling preacher. People loved him as he loved them in Christ. He concentrated his efforts on welcoming Ukrainian Catholics into the Orthodox Christian Church. Thus, he appealed with love to the Galicians and the Bukovynians who were at that time arriving. His efforts were focussed on both the Winnipeg, Manitoba, and Edmonton, Alberta, regions.
In 1911, after some deliberation, the people in Narol, Manitoba, formed the parish of Saint Nicholas. In 1913, the title was received for the land which had been donated by Roman and Anny Bilyk. At that time, acquiring the title from the government could take even longer than 2 years.
The initial trustees were :
Wasyl Barchyn ; Andrew Nebozenko ; Nicholas Pronishen ; John Rybarchuk.
Once the necessary preparations had been made, construction of the Temple itself and the bell-house began. All the work was completed without any delays by the parishioners themselves, and their neighbours.
The Temple which was constructed by the parishioners is reported to have been a simple, wooden, oblong-shaped building. The bell-house was constructed at the west end of the property, and a cemetery was then developed behind the Temple, to the east.
The interior of the Temple was simple, as befitted the meagre resources of the people. In its simplicity, it also reflected the usual Orthodox Temple of the day. An iconostas was a prominent element of the Temple's interior. The iconostas was constructed, and the icons were painted by Anthony Kolton and Thaddeus Ewachniuk, who had the skills necessary to accomplish both. They willingly gave the required time to make them. Thus, all the work was done by a community effort.
Regular services begin, 1916
From 1916 (the year the first bishop, Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky), was assigned to Winnipeg), the parish had regular pastoral service, and for many decades thereafter, this rural community was served by clergy from Holy Trinity Sobor in the city of Winnipeg. The services were frequent, but not weekly (because of the travel distance and shortage of clergy). Although there was not a resident priest, these clergy travelled from Winnipeg in order to provide pastoral care. It was generally the parishioners who provided this transportation (mostly horse and wagon, or even a boat). Furthermore, the services were almost all offered on weekdays because of the Sunday serving schedule of the priests in the city. A schedule of mutual convenience was negotiated between the farmers and the clergy. Nevertheless, it was customary that on Sundays the parishioners would gather in the Temple in order to sing readers' services. They did not in those days forget about the priority of being in the Lord's House on the Lord's Day.
In the 1920s and 1930s, it was principally Archimandrite Anthony (Tereshchenko) and Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov) who provided this care. With regard to Archimandrite Anthony, he had resources which allowed him to own and drive a car of his own. He generally drove to his parishes by Model T Ford, which was a rarity in those days.
At that time, the parish had the parish council to administer the business affairs of the parish, and there was also a sisterhood to organise the social events and meals that accompanied the important Feast-days and other occasions throughout the year.
Throughout the 1930s, parish life continued as it always had, with very few changes. In this respect, although the Great Depression and World War II which followed it caused a considerable number changes in the lives of people, the life of worship in the parish continued on in the same way. Because of this, and also because of the pastoral direction they were given, the parishioners attest to the positive effects that this unchanging rhythm had on their lives. They became more and more united as a worshipping family. Their sense of hope increased. The parishioners affirmed that much of this renewal and strengthening of spiritual life was a direct result of the spiritual guidance that had been given by Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov).
John Barchyn, who was a lifelong and devoted parishioner, was a child during the pastorate of Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov), and he shared many memories of long, pleasant visits over tea with the bishop in his family home.
1920s-1930s carrying a coffin in a funeral procession from the home to the Temple
Fire ; reconstruction, 1946-1951
After the war (World War II), many of the soldiers returned home and began to return to normal life.
However, in 1946, the Temple was struck by lightning, and it burnt to the ground. Immediately, the local believers galvanised themselves to rebuild. They understood the importance of the Temple in their lives, and they also understood that this would be a major undertaking. The priest who led this community at that time was the Priest Anthony Horowsky.
By 1951, amidst much deliberation and fundraising, the present Temple was completed.
Although this work had been faithfully accomplished, it became evident that the psychological and spiritual disposition of many parishioners had changed as a consequence of World War II. Those who had served overseas had experienced life and death in sharply different ways from that of the Saint Clements region in Manitoba. Some of them came to desire something different in life, and they moved to the city. Some of them married persons who were not Orthodox Christians, and they were drawn away to the non-Orthodox religious communities of their spouses.
One couple who remained in the parish throughout their lives (Steve and Marie Bilan) recalled that at the time of their marriage in 1961, there were still no pews in the Temple, and that the hardwood floors were beautiful.
Mitred Archpriest Evfimy Moseychuk 1952-1982
The most notable amongst the clergy who served the parish after the fire was the Mitred Archpriest Evfimy Moseychuk. The period of his pastorship in the parish was very stable. He served as the Dean of Western Canada until the 1980s, and he served this parish on a regular (monthly) basis while he served also a circuit of other communities that stretched into Saskatchewan. After 1982, he continued to serve this parish on a casual basis. His face was familiar in North-End Winnipeg, and his personality was unique.
Although he was often quite serious, an anecdote from Sophie Barchyn reveals another aspect of his personality. One year, not long before the Nativity (Christmas) services, without an explanation, Father Evfimy asked Sophie Barchyn whether she could procure 2 silver dollars for him. Sophie was perplexed, and she was somewhat anxious. However, just in time for the Feast-day, Sophie managed to find the 2 coins through her sister in Winnipeg. Sophie (wondering whether she would be paid for the coins) presented the coins to Father Evfimy. Father Evfimy thanked her for the coins, and he went to the Altar. After the Divine Liturgy, her son Derek Barchyn (a 10-year-old server) proudly showed his mother the shiny new coin. She asked him, "Did you get that from Father Evfimy ?" Derek responded, "Yes. He gave me one, and the other altar boy, Michael Koniak, one". Mystery solved.
Sophie's daughter Marlene (born Barchyn) Enns recalled that as a child of 3 or 4, she was sitting on a pew in the Temple, and she was swinging her dangling feet, much as might any child. However, it somehow disturbed Father Evfimy, and he gave her a stern look, and he told her to stop that. Indeed, she did, and she refrained from doing it again. However, Marlene could remember just as well how Father Evfimy (in an avuncular, or a grandfatherly manner) often generously gave the children chocolate bars, and how good they tasted.
1970 : Autocephaly
After many and lengthy negotiations, the Russian Orthodox Church granted autocephaly to the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America (ROGCCNA), which was also known as the "Metropolia". This Church then became known as The Orthodox Church in America (OCA). From this time, the official language of the Church was the vernacular (which thus embraced Aleut, Yupik, Tlingit, Athabaskan, English, French, Spanish, Greek, Arabic, Romanian, Bulgarian, Albanian, and others). The calendar of this new Church was to be the Revised Julian Calendar (an Orthodox version of the "Gregorian Calendar").
Very soon, this parish began to increase the amount of English that was used in worship services.
Parishioner repose, 1975
As was reported in the annual Canadian Orthodox Calendar for 1975 by Mitred Archpriest Evfimy Moseychuk, Mrs. Anastasia Jaman reposed in Christ on 24 September, 1975.
Daughter of John and Anna Rebek, Anastasia had been born at Narol in 1914. She graduated from the Donald School with honours. She married at a young age to Mr. Jashyn, and she bore 6 children (2 sons, 4 daughters). Her husband reposed in Christ at a young age, and Anastasia raised the children on her own. Despite the many difficulties, she was careful never to neglect the spiritual formation and sustenance of the family. They were a prayerful family, and they were regularly present at worship services. They "lived in a Christian way", as Father Evphimy wrote. In 1957, Anastasia married Mr. William Jaman of Winnipeg. Then, after 18 years of happy marriage, Anastasia fell ill, and after some time, she fell asleep in the Lord. Anastasia Jaman was survived by her husband, her 6 children, 13 grandchildren, 3 brothers, and 3 sisters.
A Parastas was sung on 28 September, in the funeral home. On 29 September, the Memorial Divine Liturgy and the Funeral Service for the Burial of a Lay-person were offered in the Temple of Saint Nicholas, Narol. Following the funeral obsequies, her body was interred in the parish cemetery.
Increased activity in parish life and service
Priest Evan Lowig 1982-1988
The first priest to serve the community in a more focussed way was the Priest Evan Lowig in the 1980s. Following Father Moseychuk, he took up the same responsibility of serving the large circuit of rural communities while he lived in a small apartment at Holy Trinity Sobor in Winnipeg. However, he began to give more focussed attention to this community, as he encouraged them and nurtured them as Orthodox Christians. Services came to be offered regularly on Sundays rather than on weekdays. Notably, he strengthened the ability of parishioners to sing Galician Chant (which was the characteristic melodic tradition of their ancestors). He then was able to congratulate the cantors about how well they knew their melodies, also about how much the parishioners were aware of the need for missionary work. Father Evan also involved parishioners in cathechising, and in adult education. He remained with the parish until 1988, when he was transferred to Vancouver, British Columbia.
Hieromonk Daniel (Baeyens) 1988-1991
After the transfer of Father Lowig to Vancouver, there followed a period of uncertainty. During this time, the Hieromonk Daniel (Baeyens) served the parish from Holy Trinity Sobor in Winnipeg as often as he was able, as did the Priest Vladimir Wenda for a brief period.
It was during the time of Father Wenda that the parish changed to the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
Saint Nicholas Temple from east
Archpriest Robert Stephen (Father Bob) and Matushka Dianne Kennaugh, 1991-2012
In 1991, Father Evan Lowig was followed as the parish priest by the Archpriest Robert Stephen Kennaugh (affectionately known as Father Bob). He and his family had already had some experience in this parish from the time of Father Lowig.
On 23 June, 1991, at the Divine Liturgy, at Holy Trinity Sobor in Winnipeg, Manitoba, with the blessing of Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor), Deacon Robert S Kennaugh was ordained by Bishop Seraphim (Storheim) to the Holy Priesthood. He was assigned to the Church of Saint Nicholas in Narol, Manitoba, as Rector. He was assigned also to the Church of Saint Nicholas in Sandy Lake, Manitoba, as Priest-in-charge.
Father Robert, his wife, Matushka Dianne, and their family have devoted a great deal of attention over many years to serving this community and to helping it grow stronger. Matushka Dianne's many years of leading the singing enabled not only a more co-ordinated and stronger way of singing, but also strengthened and expanded the repertoire of Galician Chant melodies which were part of the liturgical inheritance of this and many other parishes.
Father Kennaugh had previously been an Anglican seminary student ; and then, like very many others, he found his home in the Orthodox Christian Church, first as an ordained deacon in the Western Rite (under the Antiochian Archdiocese, which has a special Vicariate). Later, after a lengthy diaconate he was ordained to the Holy Priesthood in 1991. He was assigned to the parish of Saint Nicholas in Narol, Manitoba. Under his pastoral guidance, the parish of Saint Nicholas steadily grew from being a church served intermittently, to a full-fledged parish with a regular liturgical and social life. Services were at last offered every Sunday.
Under his pastorship, during the 1990s, there began a steady and determined programme of modernisation and beautification of the Temple. Most of this work was accomplished under the leadership of Stephen Bilan, with the help of his 2 sons. It was also under his guidance that the services came to be served entirely in English. The parish came to be "teeming" with young families (most of them recently received into the Orthodox Christian Church). The singing, led by Matushka Dianne Kennaugh, became better and better, stronger and stronger. For a long time, on the fourth Sunday of a month, a deacon would lead the services while Father Bob was serving in the parish of Saint Nicholas in Sandy Lake, Manitoba. In Narol, the service offered was the Obednitsa (a version of the Typical Psalms).
Renovations were undertaken during the pastorship of Father Bob, which began very soon after his arrival. This major work was undertaken by Steven Bilan, and his sons Ryan and Kevin. The interior of the Temple was re-finished with cedar boards. This project was concluded in 1995.
Archpriest Robert Stephen Kennaugh
1994 : Bicentennial of Orthodox Christianity in North America
In 1994, the parish was host for the Archdiocese of Canada’s celebration of the Bicentennial of Orthodoxy in North America.
1998 : Archdiocesan assembly in Winnipeg
In July, 1998, the parish was the host and organising parish for the triennial assembly of the Archdiocese of Canada, held in Winnipeg. During this assembly, with the great help of the parishioners of Saint Nicholas, Bishop Seraphim served the Thursday morning Divine Liturgy, which was sung completely in Galician Chant. On the Friday evening, Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor), Archbishop Mark (Petrovtsiy), Bishop Seraphim (Storheim) and other clergy served a moleben in Saint Nicholas' Church, which was followed by a social. The weather was particularly hot and humid.
For many years, Father Kennaugh additionally served as the Dean of Manitoba, and as the Dean of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Alone, and together with his wife, he travelled all over the 2 provinces in order to lead meetings and to visit parishes. He did all this while he was still in full-time employment within the CNIB. In the autumn of 2012, having already retired from his secular work, Father Bob retired from active service in the Holy Priesthood, and he was attached as the Rector Emeritus in the Temple of Saint Nicholas.
Much can also be said about Father Bob’s wife, Matushka Dianne, and her time of service as the choir director at Saint Nicholas. Matushka Dianne worked full-time for many decades as a social worker in Winnipeg, until her retirement. However, she continued on leading the singing, both in Narol, and in other places her husband served. As a leader of the singing, she did not immediately follow her husband into retirement, because in the parish there was a clear need for continuity in the worship. Her commitment and perseverance in leading the choir and congregation in singing is a blessing. Her continued work in directing and leading the congregation in singing traditional Galician chant, has been made all the more remarkable by the fact that she was born blind. Later, when Yuri Hladio became available, Matushka Dianne did retire from the responsibility of leading the singing, but she did not retire from her active presence and support of the sustaining and development of good singing in the Lord’s worship.
Major renovation : 1999 and following years
In 1999, the parish commenced a renovation project which dramatically changed the nature in which the parish's social life functioned. It was the "pièce de résistance". The result was a new church hall, vestibule and elevator (making it a wheelchair accessible building).
First, the Temple was moved off its foundation and moved to one side. A basement was then dug, and a foundation was poured for a basement, which replaced the previous ground-level foundation. The new basement was purposefully larger than the existing Temple. This allowed for a later expansion of the western entrance to the Temple. After the basement was completed, including running water, electricity and a septic system (which meant the end of the use of the nearby out-houses), the Temple was moved to its permanent site above it, on the now larger "platform". Again, Steve Bilan was the manager of the project. Once everything was in place, the basement was slowly finished. First, a modern and adequate commercial-style kitchen was installed, a fellowship-and-meeting space was developed, and eventually a fire-escape and an elevator were installed.
There were also included storage space, and the necessary accessible lavatories. The lower hall was then named the "Metropolitan Theodosius Parish Hall". Then came the installation of a wheel-chair accessible ramp at the exterior west entrance, the installation of an interior elevator from the main floor to the basement, and the construction of an extension to the western part of the Temple. This provided a large narthex and entrance to the Temple.
Until this renovation, the main site for warm weather socialising was the garage of John and Sophie Barchyn.
The entire parish was involved in the extensive works involved in the renovations. They provided the resources through personal giving, fundraising projects, perogi-making and sales, bake sales, garage sales, and hard physical labour.
Even in the midst of all this work, the parishioners managed to donate to the "North End Sponsorship Team" (NEST) which helps in the sponsorship of refugees to Winnipeg. They contributed to "Loonies for NEST" during Great Lent, and during Advent, they donated winter clothes to needy local children through "Koats for Kids".
In embracing these renovations and yet more projects, a commitment was made (as God blesses) to continue serving for another century. The Saint Nicholas parish family provides a true haven of rest, encouragement and hope for all who call it home. The members of this parish family come from both the countryside and the city.
Repose of Archpriest James Blomquist, 2002
On 25 January, 2002, Archpriest James Blomquist fell asleep in the Lord in Winnipeg. Father Bob and Matushka Dianne had never lost contact with Father James and Matushka Suzanne, and the families were closely connected. It was, therefore a painful event in the life of their family.
On 29 January, 2002, a funeral service was offered in the Cropo Funeral Home Chapel at 1442, Main Street, Winnipeg.
Following her widowing, Matushka Susan Blomquist continued in her active friendship with the Kennaugh family. This lasted until her own repose. Meanwhile, when Father Bob and Matushka Dianne moved into an apartment later in their life, Matushka Susan moved into a nearby apartment. From there, she was able to be of immeasurable support to her friends.
Archpastoral visit, 2010
At the end of January, 2010, Bishop Irénée (Rochon) was present in the parish. At the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, he ordained the Deacon Anthony Spencer Estabrooks to the Holy Priesthood. The new priest began to serve the Mission of the Theotokos of the Life-giving Spring in Winnipeg.
2011 : 100 years
2011 marked the centennial of the founding of the parish of Saint Nicholas in Narol. By this time, the Church school had been re-established. The children and teachers would leave the service for school after the reception of Holy Communion, so the instruction time was not long. At that time, there were about 10 children 11 years old or younger in the parish. The seniors, including those in their 90s, enjoyed the "joyful noise" and the activity of the children.
On 16-17 July, 2011, the celebratory events took place. Bishop Irénée (Rochon) was present in order to lead the celebrations. On Saturday evening, as usual, Great Vespers was served in the Temple. On Sunday morning at 9:30 a.m., Bishop Irénée began the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, together with the Archpriest R S Kennaugh and others. After the completion of the services, there was a festal dinner served. On this occasion, there was also published a centennial cook-book.
Father R S Kennaugh cuts the centennial cake, 2011
Archpriest A Gregory and Matushka Taesia Scratch, 2012
From 2012, Saint Nicholas has been served by the Priest Gregory Scratch.
A graduate of the Emily Carr University of Art and Design in Vancouver, Father Gregory attended classes at the University of Saint Paul in Ottawa, Ontario, in the Andrey Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies. Father Gregory was ordained to the Holy Diaconate in 2003, and he served afterwards at the Annunciation Cathedral in Ottawa. Along with his liturgical and pastoral responsibilities, he also worked as an art instructor at a Veteran’s Health Centre in Ottawa. In the summer of 2012, he was ordained to the Holy Priesthood by Bishop Irénée (Rochon) of Québec City. Then, with his wife Matushka Taesia and their 4 children, he moved to Winnipeg in order to serve the parish of Saint Nicholas in Narol. Not very long afterwards, he also was assigned to serve as the Dean of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. He has followed his predecessor in his involvement in the Saint Arseny Orthodox Theological Institute.
In April, 2018, the Priest Gregory Scratch was elevated to the dignity of archpriest.
The Temple interior at reading of the Hours ; the chandelier
The chandelier (using real candles) is one of several liturgical items which were donated to Saint Nicholas' Church after the fire by Holy Trinity Cathedral in Winnipeg. This chandelier had been given to that parish by a Russian Orthodox missionary society during the time when Archbishop Tkhon (Belavin) (later Patriarch of Moscow) was the bishop of North America.
From the time of Father Gregory’s arrival, the parish continued to grow. As one consequence of this growth, the Christ the Saviour Mission Station was established in Winkler, Manitoba, in 2016.
Archpastoral visit, 2013
On Sunday, 26 May, 2013 (the Sunday of the Paralytic), Bishop Irénée (Rochon) made an archpastoral visitation to the parish of Saint Nicholas, in the context of his visit to the Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nunavut Deanery. Vladyka Irénée brought with him for veneration the Wonder-working Icon of Saint Nicholas of Myra, which included a Holy Relic of Saint Nicholas, which usually is available at the Cathedral of the Annunciation in Ottawa, Ontario.
Holy Icon and Relic of Saint Nicholas
In the Temple of Saint Nicholas at Narol, Vladyka Irénée served a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy with the Faithful of the parish. Concelebrating with him were the Rector, Priest Gregory Scratch, the Rector Emeritus, Archpriest Robert Stephen Kennaugh, Priest Anthony Estabrooks, Priest-in-charge of the Theotokos of the Life-Giving Spring Mission in Winnipeg, and Protodeacon Nazari Polataiko, Secretary of the Archdiocese of Canada.
At the beginning of the Divine Liturgy, Reader Gerald Bartel was ordained to be a subdeacon.
At the Lesser Entrance of the Divine Liturgy, Bishop Irénée awarded the Gold Cross to Father Gregory Scratch.
At the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy, a Medal and Gramota of Saint Tikhon were awarded to Matushka Susan Blomquist in recognition of her life-long example of love for our Saviour Jesus Christ, and for her years of service in the community.
Archpastoral visit, 2014
On 6 December, 2014, on the Feast-day of Saint Nicholas, Bishop Irénée (Rochon) of Ottawa and Canada visited the parish of Saint Nicholas.
Vladyka Irénée served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, after the initial entrance and vesting, he ordained Stephen Sharman and Yuri Hladio of this parish, and Leighton Knapp (from the Mission of the Life-giving Spring of the Theotokos) to the Subdiaconate.
During the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, Vladika Irénée ordained Matthew Beynon (from the Mission of the Life-giving Spring of the Theotokos) to the Holy Diaconate. The visiting clergy included the Protopresbyter Mirone Klysh, Igumen Raphael (Vereshack), the Priest Evan Maximiuk, and the Priest Roman Pavlov. In all, the parish had nearly 80 people in attendance.
2014 visitation and ordinations
Deacon Stephen Sharman, 2016
On 28 April, 2016, the Subdeacon Stephen Sharman was ordained to the Holy Diaconate by Archbishop Irénée (Rochon). He was assigned to serve in this parish.
Archpastoral visitation on the centennial of the Archdiocese of Canada, 2016
On Saturday, 29 October, 2016, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the parish of Saint Nicholas as a part of the celebration in Winnipeg of the centennial anniversary of the creation of the Diocese of Canada in 1916. Just before this service, there had been a meeting of the Archdiocesan Council in Winnipeg for 2 days.
On 29 October, 2016, at the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in this parish of Saint Nicholas, Narol, the Deacon Matthew Beynon was ordained to the Holy Priesthood in order to serve as a priest in the local deanery.
This service was followed by another centennial-marking Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in Winnipeg, in Holy Trinity Sobor, on Sunday, 30 October, 2016.
Anne Grabowsky at 100 years, 2016
On 1 November, 2016, Anne Grabowsky celebrated her own centennial. On the last Sunday of October, 2017, she celebrated her 101st birthday in the midst of her parish family, along with her daughter and others.
On Saturday, 3 June, 2017, Vladyka Irénée (Rochon), together with Deacon Stephen Sharman, served a Moleben of Thanksgiving with some parishioners from Saint Nicholas and the family, at the Riverview Health Centre in Winnipeg for the 50th anniversary of Father Bob and Matushka Dianne Kennaugh. After his retirement in 2012, Father Bob was discovered to be suffering from various health difficulties, including the appearance of an aggressive dementia. This required his eventual placement at the Riverview Health Centre. Despite this, he has been very conscious about the importance of this anniversary, and he was thankful that Vladyka could preside over the service of thanksgiving for both him and Matushka Dianne. Surrounded by their children and grandchildren, family, parishioners and friends, Matushka Dianne thanked God for His loving care and blessings over the past 50 years.
Father R S Kennaugh, Matushka Dianne Kennaugh 50th wedding anniversary (with daughter Laurel Litardi)
Prosphora-baking lessons, 2018
On 21 March, 2018, some of the children of this parish spent an afternoon learning about why we use bread in the Orthodox Church, what it is used for, and its importance for us as Christians. They also learned about the relationship between making prosphora and praying, and that our thanksgiving and prayers to God can be expressed through and with the simplest tasks, including baking bread. This practical lesson included learning how to make prosphora by doing it themselves (under supervision and guidance).
Archpastoral visitation, 2018
On 29 June, 2018, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) made a pastoral visit to the parish. In the midst of the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, he ordained the Deacon Stephen Sharman to the Holy Priesthood.
The Priest Stephen Sharman was attached to the Holy Table of this parish, with the additional responsibility to serve as a supply priest in the deanery.
Repose of Anne Grabowsky, 2018
On 7 October, 2018, Anne Grabowsky fell asleep in the Lord (very little before her 102nd birthday).
On 7 November, 1916, Anne was born to Makar and Mary Pronishen. She had 2 sisters, Marie, and Sophie. Born and raised in Narol, Manitoba, she married Frank Grabowsky, and they had one daughter, Donna. In her working days, Anne was employed by Swift Canadian, and by Laura Secord. Upon retirement she took up oil painting, and she and her husband travelled. All along, Anne was a member of the parish choir, and she hosted choir-rehearsals very often.
A memorial service was held at the Bardol Funeral Home on 15 October, 2018.
Bereavement, 2018
Suddenly, on Wednesday, 7 November, 2018, Matushka Susan Blomquist fell asleep in the Lord in her apartment in Winnipeg. She had suffered a major heart-attack.
On Thursday, 15 November, 2018, at 7:00 p.m., a Panikhida (Memorial Service) was offered at Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church, 5635 Henderson Highway.
On Friday, 16 November, 2019, at 10:00 a.m., the Funeral Service for a Lay-person was offered.
Following the funeral obsequies, the body of Matushka Susan Blomquist was interred at the Saint Nicholas Cemetery, at Saint Nicholas Church, Narol.
It was written about her that
her life as a wife, mother, and Matushka, manifested the generosity of Christ towards humanity. She was ever dedicated (even to the day before her repose) to seniors and shut ins : visiting them, driving them to church, doctor's appointments, or driving them to visit family in nursing homes. She provided flowers and food for parish feasts (especially those dedicated to the Mother of God) and those who were hungry, all the while giving what little energy, or funds she had.
Archpastoral visitation, 2019
On 16-17 August, 2019, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) made an archpastoral visitation to the parish of Saint Nicholas at Narol, and also to the Mission Station of Christ the Saviour in Winkler, Manitoba.
On Friday, 16 August, 2019, the Feast-day of the Icon of the Saviour "Not-made-by-hands" (the Altar Feast-day of the mission), Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) and a group of others made the 2½ hour drive south to Winkler in order to mark the feast-day. This entourage included Archpriest Phillip Eriksson (chancellor of the archdiocese) ; Matushka Barbara Eriksson ; Archpriest Gregory Scratch, Matushka Dianne Kennaugh, and others.
Since the usual rented space was not available to the mission on that day, the gathering and the prayers on that day were in the home of Wesley and Inga Giesbrecht. There, Archbishop Irénée presided at the serving of a moleben and of the Akathist to the Sweetest Lord Jesus. Following the services, a traditional Mennonite Canadian meal was served. It was commented afterwards that "the service and meal felt more like a family gathering around their father and archpastor Vladika Irénée".
Mennonite meal with Vladyka (left) ; some Christ the Saviour Mission members (right)
On Saturday, 17 August, 2019, Vladyka Irénée (Rochon) was greeted at the Temple of Saint Nicholas by the Faithful and clergy. After the vesting, and before the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy began, Vladyka awarded the right to wear the Orar of a Subdeacon to Seraphim Scratch for his long service in the Altar.
Concelebrating with Vladyka Irénée (Rochon) on this occasion were Archpriest Phillip Eriksson ; Archpriest Gregory Scratch ; Archpriest Gene Maximiuk (of the Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral – UOCC) ; the Priest Matthew Beynon (Holy Trinity Sobor) ; the Priest Sebastian Scratch (Saint Peter the Aleut parish, Calgary, Alberta) ; the Priest Stephen Sharman (Saint Nicholas, Narol) ; the Protodeacon Jesse Isaac (Saint Herman of Alaska in Edmonton, Alberta).
At the Great Entrance, Deacon Yuri Hladio was ordained to the Holy Priesthood by Vladyka Irénée.
It was truly a fitting place for the ordination of Deacon Yuri to the priesthood, as he had served in the Saint Nicholas Temple as choir director and cantor. There, his wife Nikyla had been received into Orthodoxy, and they were crowned in marriage in the same Temple.
It was regrettable that the father of the new priest, Archpriest Bohdan Hladio of Oshawa, Ontario, was unable to be present as he had broken his hip the week earlier. He was enabled to be present, however, by internet, and the rest of the family were present. At the appropriate moment, the shouts of "Axios !" by the family and parishioners were overwhelming.
Serving clergy and family with Vladyka Irénée (Rochon)
A long-term, stable site for the Mission Station in Winkler, 2020
In October, 2020, an agreement was signed in Winkler, Manitoba, which provided the Christ the Saviour Mission Station with a permanent meeting-place in the town. After several years of having met in various rented spaces, and being subject to limited meeting times, and having to assemble and disassemble the worship space each time, this was a major step forward. The new space that was secured was at Unit 6 – 390, 1st Street in Winkler. The first Divine Liturgy was held in the new chapel on 14 November, 2020, on the feast of Saint Gregory Palamas.
10th anniversary of Ordination to the Holy Priesthood of Archpriest Gregory Scratch, 2022
Father Gregory Scratch was ordained to the Holy Diaconate in 2003, while he was serving at the Annunciation Cathedral in Ottawa, Ontario. Along with his liturgical and pastoral responsibilities, he also worked as an art instructor at the The Perley Rideau Veterans Health Centre.
In the summer of 2012, he was ordained to the Holy Priesthood, and he moved with his wife, Matushka Taesia, and their 4 children to Winnipeg in order to serve the parish of Saint Nicholas, Narol, to which he had been assigned. He completed 10 years of service in this parish in 2022.
In 2021, Father Gregory completed his first unit in the CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) programme which is offered by Saint Boniface Hospital and the University of Winnipeg. Meanwhile, he continued to serve as the Dean of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Nunavut of the Archdiocese of Canada.
On 11 September, 2022, the parish of Saint Nicholas in Narol, Manitoba, and the Mission Station of Christ the Saviour in Winkler, Manitoba, came together to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the ordination to the Priesthood of Archpriest Gregory Scratch.
In fact, the 10th anniversary celebration was the first time since before the Covid-19 Pandemic that the parish and the mission were able to come together as an entire community. The parish of Saint Nicholas had grown significantly during the pandemic, and it was a great opportunity for everyone to meet one another. It truly felt like a family reunion !
Dinner consisted of a roasted pig and a potluck, and was attended by approximately 100 guests. These guests included other local clergy, including Father Stephen Sharman (Saint Nicholas) ; Father Nikolaos Tambakis ; Father Evan Maximiuk ; Father Michael Ungrin ; Father Anthony Estabrooks ; and Deacon Thomas Chaput.
As much as this was a celebration of Father Gregory and his family, it was also a celebration of the Saint Nicholas community, who were brought together by God to serve the Lord and each other through the daily life of the parish. It was such a joy to be able to celebrate together in person. Glory to God !
Father Gregory, Matushka Taesia (left) ; Some clergy present at the anniversary (right)
Ordination of Deacon Gregory Wiebe, 2023
On 3 June, 2023, the Soul Saturday before Pentecost, the parish of Saint Nicholas received Archbishop Irénée (Rochon), who had come to ordain Gregory Wiebe to the Holy Diaconate.
Assisting Archbishop Irénée during the hierarchical Divine Liturgy and ordination were the Archpriest Gregory Scratch (parish rector) ; the Mitred Archpriest Serhii Kashyrets (newly arrived from Ukraine) ; the Igumen Vladimir Lysak (of Saint George's Romanian Orthodox Church) ; the Priest Matthew Beynon (Holy Trinity Sobor) ; the Priest Stephen Sharman (Saint Nicholas of Narol) ; the retired Archpriest and former rector, Archpriest Robert Stephen Kennaugh ; the retired Archpriest Anthony Estabrooks ; Deacon Denis Letunovsky (Saint Seraphim of Sarov Rawdon, QC). Present were the friends, family, and Faithful of Saint Nicholas, and of other nearby Orthodox Churches.
A banquet was served after the conclusion of the Hierarchical Liturgy.
Bereavement, 2024
In January, 2024, Archpriest Robert S Kennaugh, who had already spent many years in an extended care facility in Winnipeg, contracted pneumonia. He was admitted to hospital, but his condition deteriorated rapidly.
On 12 January, 2024, at about 4 p.m., Father Bob fell asleep in the Lord. His family had been notified in sufficient time for them to be present.
On Friday, 19 January, 2024, at 7:00 p.m., the Funeral Service for the Burial of a Priest was offered at Saint Demetrius Greek Orthodox Church (2255 Grant Avenue) in Winnipeg, by Archbishop Irénée (Rochon), who was assisted by 9 priests and 1 deacon.
On Saturday, 20 January, 2024, at 10:00 a.m., the Memorial Divine Liturgy was served at Saint Demetrius Greek Orthodox Church by Archbishop Irénée (Rochon), who was assisted by 9 priests and 1 deacon. The pallbearers were Dale Douma, Jasper Litardi, Nicholas Litardi, Vincenzo Litardi, Christina Paintin, Malcolm Paintin, Richard Paintin, David Pensato, and Scott Thorne.
After the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy, the final Litiya (Trisagion) was served, including the Prayer of Forgiveness. At the end, those present came to the coffin in order to give the Last Kiss to the newly-departed Archpriest Robert S Kennaugh.
Following the Divine Liturgy, a memorial lunch was served by family, friends, and parishioners in the Parish Hall.
Following the funeral obsequies and the repast, there was a procession of vehicles to Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church at 5635, Henderson Highway, Narol, Manitoba. There, a Memorial Litiya (Trisagion) was served in the Temple, after which the body of the Archpriest Robert S W Kennaugh was interred in the parish cemetery.
40th Day Memorial, 2024
On Thursday, 22 February, 2024, at 6:00 p.m., a Fortieth-Day Memorial Panikhida (Memorial Service) was offered for the newly-departed Archpriest Robert Stephen Kennaugh at Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church, 5635, Henderson Highway. Archpriest Gregory Scratch led the prayer-service.
The family invited all attending for a meal following the service, which was served in the parish basement Metropolitan Theodosius Hall.
Ordination of Deacon John Schantz, 2024
On Saturday, 6 April, 2024, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) arrived at Saint Nicholas Church. He had come in order to ordain Dr. John (Daryl) Schantz to the Holy Diaconate.
Assisting Vladyka Irénée during the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of ordination were, the Archpriest Gregory Scratch (parish rector) ; the mitred Archpriest Serhii Kashyrets ; the Archpriest Roman Pavlov (Holy Trinity Sobor) ; the Priest Matthew Beynon (Holy Trinity Sobor) ; the Priest Stephen Sharman (Saint Nicholas of Narol) ; Protodeacon Edward Jordan (Saint Aidan's Cranbrook, BC) ; Deacon Denis Letunovsky (Saint Seraphim of Sarov, Rawdon, QC) ; Deacon Gregory Wiebe (Saint Nicholas) ; Archpriest Anthony Estabrooks (Retired) ; and Deacon John Kavalas (Saint Demetrios GOA - not serving).
During the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, Vladyka Irénée awarded the Priest Matthew Beynon with the right to wear the Gold Cross, and the Priest Stephen Sharman the right to wear the purple kamilavka.
A reception was provided following the service.
Experimental move, 2025
With the rapid growth that the parish was experiencing, the existing Saint Nicholas Temple at Narol came to be over-crowded, both in the Temple and in the basement hall.
Already in 2024, there were conversations about what alternatives might be practical. The Saint Nicholas parish council established a committee to investigate what options might be available to accommodate this growth, whether it be renovating, purchasing a pre-existing structure, or building a new Church. Everyone recognised that this would be a somewhat lengthy process, and in the meantime, would have to be creative at how to accommodate more than 70 people on any given Sunday.
With the blessing of Archbishop Irénée (Rochon), various sites were visited (some within the city of Winnipeg itself). Many alternatives were too expensive.
As this process slowly developed, the Parish council at Saint Nicholas was approached by the parish of Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church at Gonor, about the possibility of renting their space. Recently, that community had had their service schedule reduced to 1service a month, and they did not want their church to sit empty for the remaining weeks.
The site in Gonor is only 3.7 km (2.3 mi) or about 3 minutes (by car) to the north of the Temple of Saint Nicholas. This makes a total distance of about 15 km north of the Perimeter Highway.
In many respects this was a miracle, since the Saint Nicholas building committee was still exploring possible solutions, even as the parish had outgrown their space, and was still growing. With this offer, the parish of Saint Nicholas could serve on Sunday and Great Festal services in a much larger space, and still work towards finding the appropriate solution to accommodate everyone. Moreover, the possibility remained to serve weekday Divine Liturgies and evening Vespers (services that are less attended) at Saint Nicholas Church. This was very important for the Faithful of Saint Nicholas parish, since it ensured an active liturgical presence at Saint Nicholas (especially given its beauty and its history - established in 1911, and rebuilt in 1953).
When it was agreed to undertake this experiment (now prolonged for 1 year), a lot of work was done in preparation for the first Divine Liturgy - including the installation of an accessible washroom on the main level of the building (done in under a week !). A portable Altar space was constructed to facilitate multiple priests and deacons serving, which included an iconostas with beautiful Icons provided by Natalia Morin. All this occurred just before the Great Feast of Pascha. Serving in this new space felt no different to serving at Saint Nicholas (where this Feast has been celebrated for more than a century). The only real change that was felt by everyone was the fact that they did not feel like sardines in a tin.
Beginning on 30 March, 2025, Sunday Divine Liturgies began to be served in Gonor at Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church (6297, Henderson Highway).
Saint Nicholas of Narol's New Space for Sunday Services, 2025
The following article was published in the Archdiocese of Canada news on 15 May, 2025 :
Like many other Orthodox Churches across the Archdiocese, Saint Nicholas of Narol has been growing and growing and growing with people seeking a greater and more profound encounter with a saving love of God. Truly this growth has been a blessing beyond words, especially considering that Saint Nicholas is by definition a "rural" parish, situated about 20 minutes north of Winnipeg. The challenge is that the community has outgrown its current space. Last year, the Saint Nicholas parish council established a committee to investigate what options might be available to accommodate this growth, whether it be renovating, purchasing a pre- existing structure, or building a new church. Everyone recognised that this would be a somewhat lengthy process, and in the meantime, would have to be creative at how to accommodate about 70+ people on any given Sunday. As this process slowly developed, the Parish council at Saint Nicholas was approached by the parish of Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church (about 3 minutes north of Saint Nicholas), about the possibility of renting their space. Given that they recently had their service schedule reduced to once a month, they did not want their church to sit empty for the remaining weeks. In many respects this was a miracle, as the Saint Nicholas building committee was still exploring solutions, even as the parish had outgrown their space, and was still growing. With this offer, the parish of Saint Nicholas could serve in a much larger space and still work towards finding the appropriate solution to accommodate everyone. The other aspect of this miracle is that it is not a radical change in distance between both communities, which provides the ability to serve weekday liturgies and evening vespers (services that are less attended) at Saint Nicholas, and then festal and weekend services at Holy Trinity (well-attended services). This was very important for the faithful of Saint Nicholas as it ensured an active liturgical presence at Saint Nicholas (especially given its beauty and history – established in 1911, and rebuilt in 1953). A lot of work was done for Saint Nicholas' first liturgy – including the installation of an accessible washroom on the main level of the Church (done in under a week !) ; as well as a portable Altar was constructed to facilitate multiple priests and deacons serving, and an iconostas with beautiful Icons provided by Natalia Morin. It is certainly providential that this all happened just before the blessed Feast of Pascha ! Indeed, serving in this new space felt no different than serving at Saint Nicholas (where this feast has been celebrated for over a hundred years). The only real change that was felt by everyone was the fact that we did not feel like sardines in a tin ! This is truly a blessing that is providing the community of Saint Nicholas, an opportunity to discern what the Lord's will is, while meeting the current needs of our community, and presenting an opportunity to accommodate growth. May the Lord bless the dedication and work of those who have facilitated all this growth, and those who have trusted in the Lord's saving providence as we look towards the future ; for "unless the Lord builds a house, those who build it labour in vain" (Psalm 126:1 LXX).
Saint Nicholas Cemetery, 1911
The cemetery of the parish was established at the same time as the founding of the parish. It is located behind the Temple, on the same property. The graves are well-tended, and they are blessed annually, as is the custom.
Historical Details
Founders and Benefactors of the parish, and others who rest in the cemetery
(there are many variants in spelling of names ; the names are alphabetised by family name) (the list is not quite complete)
The child__________ (1927) John William Barchyn (1920-2007) Magdalena Barchyn (1882-1964) The child Paraskeva Barchyn (1914-1924) Sophie Barchyn (Semenchuk) (1924-2016) William (Wasyle) Barchyn (1874-1957) (founding trustee) Roman Bilak (1865- Oct. 13th 1954) (donated the land the Temple and cemetery now occupy) Ann Bombeck (Barchyn) (1916-1999) Anna Dubas (1874-1955) Roman Dubas (1870-1958) Anna Dyozhva (1844-1927) Iosef Dyozhva (1843-1926) John Evaschuk (1872-1941) Mary Evaschuk (1878-1940) (John and Mary were the parents of the priest Thaddeus Evaschuk, an early missionary priest in Canada) Katherine Ewaschuk (1909-1935) Alexina Figol (1877-1950) Matrona Figal (1844-1943) William Figol (1880-19__) The child Billy Fotiuk (1951-1967) Marian Fotiuk 1928-2009) Michael Fotiuk (1920-1994) Rose Fotiuk (1900-1983) Thomas Fotiuk (1891-1965) Evdokia Godz (1867-1916) Ivan Godz (1857-1937) Maria Godz (____- ____) Yakim Ivashok (1840-1924) Nettie (Jashyn) Jaman (1914-1975) Anthony Kaschynyc (1892-1941) Archpriest Robert S Kennaugh (1942-2024) Malaniya Keshka (1870- ___) Roman Keshka (1863-1940) Anthony Kolton (1889-1924) Karol Kolton (1865-1942) Ksenia Kolton (1866-1954) Levko Kosakewich (1908-1941) The child Paula Kosakewich (1942) Pauline Kosakewich (1877-1951) Roman Kosakewich (1867-1946) Kondrotom Kotovich (1856-1939) Maria Kotovich (1859-1933) Maria Kotovich (1871-1919) Barbara Kozak (1886-1949) John Kozak (1880-1963) (former cantor at Saint Nicholas) Robert Lahey (1949-1995) John Marchuk (1913-1993) Katherine Marchuk (1918-2006) Peter Marchuk (1916-1980) Anna Nevochenko (1918- ___) Gregori Nevochenko (Nebosenko ?) (1879-___) Andrie Nevochenko (Nebosenko ?) (1845-1945) (founding trustee) Jack Perozyk (1895-1973) Maria Perozek (1873-1965) The child Alexina Pewarchuk (1923-1927) Annie Pewarchuk (1854-1936) Mary Pewarchuk (1878-1931) Mary Pewarchuk (1905-1979) Michael Pewarchuk (1876-1959 Peter Pewarchuk (1851-1928) The child Theodosia Poplavskie (1913) Linda Prefaniuk (Not buried ?) Marie Prefaniuk (1919-1996) Anna Prigroski (1912-2003) Delbert Jack Prigroski (1940-1973) Nicholas Prigroski (1903-1990) (founding trustee) Makar Pronishen (1892-1961) Mary Pronishen (1889-1988) Nikola Pronishen (1862-1943) Sophia Pronishen (1869-1960) Kathryn Pronyk (Not buried ?) Maria Pronyk (1880-1944) Mathew Pronyk (1919-1991) Olga Pronyk (1926-1951) Thomas Pronyk (1876-1965) William Prygroski (1906-1989) John Rebeck (1908-196_) (Anglicised version of Rybarchuk) Metro Rebeck (1921-1973) (Anglicised version of Rybarchuk) Paul Rebeck (1904-1959) (Anglicised version of Rybarchuk) Robert Rebeck (1934-195_) (Anglicised version of Rybarchuk) Russell Rebeck (____ ____) (Anglicised version of Rybarchuk) Agatha Romanuk (1882-1951) Daniel Romanuk (1882-1950) Samuel Romanuk (1907-1976) Anna Rybarchuk (1877-1960) Ivan (John) Rybarchuk (1872-1956) (founding trustee) A Henry Semenchuk (1921-2008) Katerina Semenchuk (1915-1933) Olenksa Semenchuk (1927-1954) Pantelinmon Semenchuk (1880-1946) Pearl Semenchuk (1887-1960) Teenie Semenchuk (1918-1984) Kirk Smegal (1880-1942) Nettie Smegal (1882-1949) Mina Specht (1876-1957) Ivan Stefaneshen (1864-1946) Stephan Stepaneshen (1891-1913) Tekla Stephaneshen (1866-1934) Alex Stefaniuk (1871-1962) Alex Stefaniuk (1899-1977) John Stefanyshyn (1909-1973) Frank Wasylyk (1913-1939) John Wasylyk (1871-1938) Michael Wasylyk (1876-1968) Tekla Wasylyk (1882-1984) Mother Magdalen (Williams) (1941-2023) Mateus Wozenilek (1898-1928) Paraskewia (Wasylyk) Zawislak (1884-1969) Julian Zelisko (1877-195_) Mary Zelisko (____-____)
The priests who served this parish include :
Priest Andrew Schurko 1916-1917 Priest Panteleimon Bozyk 1918 Priest A Butko 1919 Priest Thaddeus Ewachniuk 1920 Priest Peter Dobrayko 1920 Archimandrite Anthony (Tereshchenko) 1921-1926 Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov) 1926-1938 Priest Anthony Horowsky ____-____ Mitred Archpriest Evfimy Moseychuk 1952-1982 Priest Evan Lowig 1982-1988 Priestmonk Daniel (Baeyens) 1988-1991 Priest Vladimir Wenda 1991 Archpriest Robert S Kennaugh 1991-2012 Archpriest A Gregory Scratch 2012-____ Priest Stephen Sharman (assistant) 2018-____ Mitered Archpriest Serhii Kashyrets 2023-____
Particular parish information
Without forgetting their history and traditions, the parish community of Saint Nicholas, has grown into a multi-generational and multi-ethnic parish, which now offers services in the English language, and which follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
The parish is an integral part of the Archdiocese of Canada and of The Orthodox Church in America. This parish community has adapted to Canadian life, at first as a small rural community serving the then new-arrivals, and presently as a “hub” community bordering the burgeoning suburbs north of Winnipeg, all the while bearing witness to more than 2,000 years of Christianity. It has also become a centre of missionary activity in the Province of Manitoba.
This parish is part of the Saskatchewan, Manitoba & Nunavut Deanery of the Archdiocese of Canada of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is the Archpriest Gregory Scratch. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).
This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Saint Nicholas the Wonder-worker, 6 December.
In 2025, the pastor of the parish is the Archpriest A Gregory Scratch (who has been serving as the dean of Manitoba and Saskatchewan).
The second priest is Priest Stephen Sharman.
Archpriest Serhiy Kashyrets is attached.
The first deacon is Deacon Gregory Wiebe.
The second deacon is Deacon John Schantz.
Address :
Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church
5635, Henderson Highway (Highway #42)
Narol, Manitoba
R1C 0B6
Telephones : 204-786-3262 (parish) ; 204-504-8792 (home) ; 204-890-8057 (mobile)
Web-site : http://stnicholasnarol.com/
Mailing address :
Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church
5635, Henderson Highway
Saint Clements, Manitoba
R2C 2Z2
Directions :
Narol is situated near the Red River, 39 km (24 mi) north of Winnipeg, and it is in the Rural Municipality of Saint Clements. It is 19 km (12 mi) south of Selkirk.
From central Winnipeg, drive north on Main Street until the Chief Peguis Bridge. Turn right, and cross the Red River and turn left on the Henderson Highway at the traffic lights. Drive north past the Perimeter Highway. After passing Saint Clements, the Temple is on the right, very near the highway, just north of Ludwick Road. One should look closely to see it because of the trees. The bell-house is very close to the highway.
It takes about 40 minutes to drive from the city.
Telephones : 204-504-8792 (home) ; 204-890-8057 (mobile)
E-mail : priestgregoryscratch@gmail.com
Telephone : 204-785-4487
Telephone : 204-557-9858
E-mail : gregorydwiebe@gmail.com
Telephone : 204-430-7694
E-mail : daryl.schantz@gmail.com
References
Archdiocese of Canada – Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).
Hainsworth, Priest John, “Archbishop Arseny : A Vita” (Montreal : Alexander Press, 2007), pp. 38-39.
Hildebrand, David, “A Study of the St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, 5635 Henderson Highway, Narol, Manitoba” (St. Andrew's College : Winnipeg, April, 1986). 6 pages.
Juce, Esther, “St Nicholas Orthodox Church Centennial Celebration (1911-2011) : A Brief History” (Narol : the Parish, 2011).
Lowig, Evan, ‘St. Nicholas Church in Narol Celebrates 75th Anniversary’ in “The Orthodox Church” (January, 1987), p. 4.
Original article about the history of Saint Nicholas parish, Narol
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Additional information
Klysh, Protopresbyter Mirone, “Orthodox Christians in Manitoba”.
Martynowych, Orest T, “Ukrainians in Canada : The Formative Period, 1891-1924” (Edmonton : Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, University of Alberta, 1991). ISBN10 : 0920862764. ISBN13 : 978-0920862766.
Zuk, Michael, “The Ukrainian Protestant Missions in Canada” (Montreal : Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, Faculty of Divinity, McGill University, 1957).
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Archdiocese of Canada Facebook
Orthodox Church in America web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Christ the Saviour Orthodox Mission Station, Winkler, Manitoba
Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church, Sandy Lake, Manitoba
Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church, Gonor, Manitoba
Russian Mission in North America
Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church Cemetery, Narol MB - Churchyard Cemeteries on Waymarking.com
Findagrave reference for Saint Nicholas Cemetery
Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)
Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)
Mitred Archpriest Euphimy Moseychuk
Archpriest Robert and Matushka Dianne Kennaugh
Gonor and Narol : Communities with European Flair
Visit of His Grace Bishop Irénée to the Church of Saint Nicholas, Narol, MB (26 May, 2013)
Archdiocesan Centennial Celebration and Ordination of Priest Matthew Beynon in Narol, Manitoba (29 October, 2016)
Report from His Eminence's weekend visit to Manitoba (3-4 June, 2017)
Children learn Prosphora Baking at Saint Nicholas Church, Narol, Manitoba (26 March, 2018)
Archbishop Irénée’s Visit to Winnipeg (16-17 August, 2019)
Celebration at Saint Nicholas, Narol, for the 10th Anniversary of the Priesthood of Father Gregory Scratch (2 October, 2022)
Visit of the Archbishop to St Nicholas in Narol, and the Ordination of Deacon Gregory Wiebe (3 June, 2023)
Ordination of Deacon John Schantz at Saint Nicholas of Narol, MB (6 April, 2024)
Saint Nicholas of Narol's New Space for Sunday Services (15 May, 2025)
Video : Saint Nicholas Church by “Awesome Prairie Churches” (2024)
‘New Dean Elected in Man/Sask’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 1996), p. 7.
‘Archdiocesan Assembly “Like a Family Reunion”’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 1998), pp. 1-2.
‘Narol songbird raises funds for church building’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Winter, 2001), p. 5.
‘Pillar of Narol MB church reposes at 87’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Summer, 2008), pp. 6-7.


























