Serediaki (Mundare) AB Saint Demetrius of Thessalonika Russo Orthodox Church 1901
Serediaki (Mundare), AB, Church of Saint Demetrius of Thessalonika, 1901
This parish is located not far from Mundare, in Lamont County, Alberta, Canada.
The nickname of this parish is Serediaki because the land was donated by the Serediak family.
Prehistory
As is the case with many other Temples in this district of Lamont County, in Alberta, Canada, the founders were immigrants from the Province of Bucovina (at that time the Duchy of Bukovina) in Moldavia, Romania.
At the time of their emigration, their home region was within the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It is for this reason that some families are registered as having come from Austria, whereas they had in fact come from this particular province. The northern part of this province, whose main city is Chernivtsi, is a region in which more Ukrainian is spoken. However, the whole province had then and has now a very large presence of Romanian-speakers. The people from this region have always been strongly Orthodox Christians.
Immigration to this region began in the late 1890s, to some extent as a result of the enticements of the Government of Canada as conveyed in Bucovina and Galicia by Dr. Josef Oleskow.
In the case of this community, the local name “Serediak” is generally understood to have been derived from the large number of people by this surname who settled in this region, and in the midst of whose farms this parish was established. However, the usual source of the name is that of the particular family that donated a portion of their land for the Temple and Cemetery. It could be different when the land was obtained directly for this purpose from the Department of the Interior, as sometimes occurred.
First Temple and incorporation, 1904
The first Temple in the Serediak district of Lamont County, Alberta, was built in 1904-1905.
Incorporation
At the time of the construction, as were other communities, the parish was registered under the Statutes of the North-West Territories. This incorporation was under the act of the Incorporation of the Orthodox Bishop which had been accomplished in 1903 by Bishop Tikhon (Belavin). It was through this incorporation that all parish incorporations became possible within the framework of the canons of the Orthodox Church. Thus, the beginning of the history of this parish was within the “Russian Mission”. This was the popular name for what was at that time called the Diocese of the Aleutians and North America.
Some of the first families to arrive in the area (1898-1900), and who helped to construct the Temple include the following families and family-heads :
Luka Andony ; Nikolay Babiak ; Michael Boychuk ; Burmey ; Akex Chorney ; Wasyl Dobush ; Joseph Forst ; John Homeniuk ; Elias Kapitski ; Nicola Kassoan ; Steve Kucher ; Nikolai Lazaruik ; Andrew Mackoway ; John Mandiuk ; John Popowich ; Prelepchan ; Petru Pridi ; John Prostibi ; Theodor Rotar ; Nestor Sawchuk ; Dmytro Serediak ; John Woloshiuk ; Myron Woroschuk.
In either 1919 or 1920, lightning struck the building and it was burnt to the ground.
Second Temple, 1922
In 1922, a new Temple was built on the same site.
In 1937-1938, Victor Lopushinsky from the Skaro parish organised and trained a parish choir. The 40 choristers at that time learned quickly. On 7 July, 1938, the choir sang for the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in Chipman when Bishop Adam (Philipovsky) was leading the celebration of the 950th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus' (AD 988).
In 1968, once again fire of an undetermined origin completely destroyed the Temple.
Rural depopulation
As have all other rural parishes across Western Canada, this parish community suffered from rural depopulation, which began in the 1930s. This accelerated after World War II with the increase in mechanisation and the consolidation of small farms into larger ones. The consequence of this was the move of many people into various urban areas.
By the 1990s, the number of farms had decreased even more greatly because a great many had been bought by larger and larger farming operations.
Third Temple, 1968
The parishioners, inspired by their deep faith, once again rose to the occasion to rebuild the Temple.
By 1968, the construction was completed on 2 levels. The lower hall was finished and equipped with full kitchen facilities, and it has been used for meeting and social activities for up to 150 people. The upper level, the Temple itself, was finished in walnut wood-panelling, and it included the walnut-panelled iconostas. The Holy Table was made of oak.
Third Temple, sign, and original bell-house (north view)
Despite the very painful and traumatic losses due to the fires, the parish continued to function to the present day in this Temple, by celebrating the Divine Liturgy, as well as providing facilities for baptisms, marriages, funerals and memorial services.
The parish observes its annual parish Altar Feast-day with solemnity. The Divine Liturgy is served, and it is followed by a Thanksgiving Moleben (prayer-service). After this, water is blessed. This is followed by a procession around the exterior of the Temple, with blessing the 4 exterior walls with holy water, and then a festal dinner.
One may notice that the family name "Serediak" appears also in some Ukrainian Orthodox parishes nearby. This is but one indication of the degree of division which resulted from the dissensions which sometimes occurred. Parts of some families wished to remain in this parish with its historical roots and customary practices (including the use of Church Slavonic in worship). Some others chose to join a community which used only the Ukrainian language (and which was for many decades not in communion with any other Orthodox jurisdiction).
This parish remained within the Archdiocese of Canada of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America and its successor, The Orthodox Church in America until, during the 1980s and during the pastorship of the Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek, it moved to the Canadian Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate.
In 2005, the parish celebrated its centennial anniversary. Bishop Job (Smakouz) of Kashira led the services. He was assisted by the Archpriest John Shandra and the Deacon Joseph Winnick.
110th anniversary, 2015
In 2015, the parish celebrated the 110th anniversary of the parish. Bishop Job (Smakouz) of Kashira led the services, and he was assisted by the Priest Alexei Surayev and Deacon Andrey Boldireff. On this occasion, a parishioner was given a "gramota" (certificate of blessing) by Vladyka Job, in recognition of his faithful service to the Lord in the parish.
Serving clergy with parishioner
Cemetery of Saint Demetrius, 1901
The cemetery is found on the same property as is the Temple, near Mundare, at the land description site NW 33 54 16 W4, on Township Road #550 at Range Road #164.
Priests who have served in this Temple include :
Priest Panteleimon Bozyk Priest John Zazuliak Priest Alexander Kyziun Priest John Khrustawka Archpriest Andrew Kokolsky Priest Antoniy Radchuk Priest Theodore Varkhol Archpriest John Kowalchuk Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek Archpriest Nikanor Shymko Priest John Voronko Archpriest Michael Fourik Archpriest John Shandra Priest Alexey Surayev
Cantors who have served in this Temple include :
John Demkiw ; Prokop Tymychyshin ; John Daneleski ; Vasyl Ostashek ; Danilo Lopushinsky.
Acolytes who have served in this Temple include :
Ken Woroschuk ; Steve Sawchuk ; Victor Sawchuk.
Particular parish information
This parish is part of the Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada. The priest is Priest Alexey Surayev. The bishop is Bishop Matthew (Andreev).
This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Saint Demetrius, 26 October/8 November.
In 2023, the pastor of this parish is the Priest Alexey Surayev.
Address :
Saint Demetrius Orthodox Church of Mundare
Land description site NW 33 54 16 W4
Township Road #550 at Range Road #164
Mundare, Lamont County, Alberta
Directions :
Mundare is located 83 km (52 mi) east of Edmonton. It is 24 km (15 mi) west of Vegreville.
From Edmonton, drive eastwards on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) to Highway #855. Take the exit to the north towards Mundare on Highway #15 (#855). On Highway #15, drive to Mundare.
From Vegreville, drive westwards on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) to Highway #855. Take the exit to the north (right) towards Mundare on Highway #15 (#855). On Highway #15, drive to Mundare.
From Mundare, drive 13 km (8 mi) north on Highway #855 (do not veer left on Highway #5). Turn right (east) on Township Road #550 and drive for 1.6 km (1 mi). The Temple is on the right side at Range Road #164.
The mailing address of the parish is the mailing address of the priest.
Priest Alexey Surayev, Pastor of the parish
5003-46 Street, PO Box 483
Lamont, Alberta
T0B 2R0
Telephone : (780) 895-2149
Mobile : (780) 991-4981
E-mail : aleksurus@gmail.comv
Bishop Matthew (Andreev) of Sourozh,
Administrator of the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada
Telephone : 011-44-207-584-0096
E-mail : sourozhdiocese@me.com
References
A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part I
“100th Anniversary St. Demetrius Russo-Greek Orthodox Church of Mundare 1905-2005” (Mundare : Saint Demetrius Church, 2005). Centennial Anniversary folder 31 July, 2005.
“Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, 100 Years of Orthodoxy in Canada 1897-1997 : Pictorial Memories” (Edmonton : Patriarchal Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada, 1997).
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, “Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, Millennium of the Baptism of Rus’” (Edmonton : Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, 1988). ISBN: 0-88925-830-9.
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Additional information :
Patriarchal Parishes in Canada (MP) listing
Patriarchal Parishes in Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about Patriarchal Parishes in Canada
The Orthodox Church in America web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
Archdiocese of Canada (OCA) web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
“History of Patriarchal Parishes of Russian Orthodox Church in Canada”
Wikipedia article about the Patriarchal Parishes in Canada
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about the Orthodox Church
Findagrave reference to Saint Demetrius Russo Orthodox Cemetery
"Orthodoxy in America, Part I, From the Russian Mission to the OCA"
110th Anniversary Celebration of Saint Demetrius Russo-Greek Orthodox Church, Serediaki, Alberta (9 November, 2015)
“Ruthenian Communities and Temples in Canada” (2 August, 2016) [Photo of earlier church of Saint Demetrius 1923-1967. MP article in Russian]







