Theodore and Katherine Nemirsky
Theodore Nemirsky (1869-1946)
and
Katherine Nemirsky (1878-1933)
Theodore may be spelt Feodor, Fedor, Tudor.
Prokopievitch may be spelt Prokopievich, Prokopiyevich.
Katherine may be spelt Catherine.
Konstantin may be spelt Konstantine, Constantine.
Nemirsky family in Europe
The following information was provided to her family by Maria Magdalena Nemirsky (born Danylchuk), mother of Theodore Nemirsky.
The family name seems to be derived from a village with the Slavic name “Nemir”. This name as a surname seems to have appeared in the 1700s (at the time when surnames were being introduced into the Russian Empire.
According to Maria Magalena, the family's genealogy shows this ancestry :
• Dmetro Nemirsky (1770-1810) married Anna Horodoway. They had 3 sons : Hretz, Mati, and Tanasi. • Hretz Nemirsky (1794-1858) married Anna Prepchan. They had 6 children : Kost, Kalena, Onufrey, Prokop, Tetiana, and Todosey. • Prokop Nemirsky (1835-1890) married Maria Magdalena Danylchuk. They had 5 children : Anton, Harasem, Kost (Konstantin), Theodore, and Yurko. Only Konstantin and Theodore (Fyodor) lived into adulthood.
In 1848, serfdom was finally abolished in the Austrian Empire. Afterwards, peasants had the right to own land. Regardless, they were generally too poor to retain it, and the original owners recovered the title to the property. The occupants became renters. As a consequence of unbearable conditions, many people began to emigrate to places where there was hope (Hawaii, Brazil, the USA).
In 1880, Prokop and Maria rented out their land in Bilche-Zolote, and they and their family moved to Bessarabia for similar reasons. However, by 1882, an outbreak of malaria drove them away to Bosnia, near the Romanian border. They lived there for 6 years, since there was work available. When they returned to their land, they found that the renters had neglected everything, and what little they had was spent on repairs.
By 1890, they had no reserves once again. Kost returned to work for 2 years in Bessarabia. Theodore was recruited into the Austrian army.
By 1895, the family was in dire straits. It was then that the opportunity to move to Canada appeared.
Early life of Theodore Prokopievitch Nemirsky
Theodore Prokopievitch Nemirsky was born on 18 July, 1869, in Bilche-Zolote, Borshchiv County, in Galicia (which is now in Ukraine). His parents were Prokopiy Nemirsky (1831-1890) and Maria Magdalena Danylchuk (1835-1920). The widowed Maria Magdalena emigrated to Canada along with her sons Theodore and his elder brother, Konstantin Prokopievitch Nemirsky (1855-1943).
Theodore was educated in Galicia, and he served in the Austrian army as was required at the time.
After his military service, Theodore Prokopievitch was prepared to marry a young woman of his own village, Katherine (Catherine) Semeonovna Marianicz.
Early life of Katherine Semeonovna Marianicz
Katherine (Catherine) Semeonovna Nemirsky (born Marianicz) was born on 10 January, 1878, in Zawale, Sniatyn County, Galicia (Ukraine), to Semeon (Sam) Marianicz and his wife Maria Wakaruk. Their village is now in the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast of Ukraine.
There were other siblings : William Semeonovich Marianicz (1881-1927) ; Eli Semeonovich Marianicz (1882-1964) ; John Semonovich Marianicz (1885-1967) ; Pearl Paraskevia Semeonovna Marianicz-Nekoliczuk (1889-1990) ; Annie Semeonovna Marianicz-Stratichuk (1893-1975) and 2 others.
Marriage, 1896
In 1896, the marriage of Theodore Prokopievitch Nemirsky and Katherine Semeonovna Marianicz was solemnised in their home village, in the Ukrainian Catholic Church there.
Emigration to Canada of Theodore and family, 1896
The emigration to Canada of Theodore Prokopievitch was a part of the larger and famous Ruthenian emigration plan of Dr. Joseph Oleskow of Galicia. Theodore, his wife and his family departed from their home in Bilche-Zolote on 6 April, 1896 (Great, Holy Friday). This departure date was because of sailing times. The 9 family members travelled to Chortkow station, and caught the train to Lviv (Lvov). The family group consisted of Theodore, his new wife Katherine, his mother, his brother Konstantin (Kost) and his wife, his aunt Paraska and her children.
Other families (including Theodore and Anna Fuhr) joined them there, and they took the train to Hamburg, Germany (on the River Elbe). There, on 12 April, 1896, they boarded the S S Christiania. There was a 3-day stopover in Antwerp, Belgium. Although the first part of the voyage was peaceful, the second part was extremely stormy. The voyage lasted 18 days, and they landed at Québec, Québec, Canada, on 30 April, 1896.
As usual at the time, they travelled to the west by the Canadian Pacific Railway to Calgary, Northwest Territories (later the Province of Alberta), and then by the same railway on its branch north to Strathcona, across from Edmonton, on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River. First, there was an inspection of the land by 2 representatives of the group and 2 Land Guides. After a favourable report about the land came, the group travelled by foot and by horse-and-wagon from Strathcona along the Victoria Trail near the river until they arrived at their destination.
S S Christiania, on which they crossed the ocean
After his arrival in the area northeast of Edmonton, Theodore settled on a homestead at Section 22, Township 56, Range 18, West of the 4th Meridian (22-56-18-W4) on 22 May, 1896. He applied for it officially on 28 May, 1896. It was situated near Edna, Alberta (later known as Star, Alberta). With the help of friends, they constructed their first small home. In the summer, Theodore travelled south to work for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) at Nanton and Fort MacLeod. After the construction season was finished, he returned home for the winter. This pattern of working provided funds for the maintenance and development of the homestead.
The larger settlement of Ukrainians in the area where they settled came to be known as the "Edna-Star Colony".
In 1897, Katherine's family, the Marianicz family, also emigrated to Canada, and to the same Ukrainian Block Settlement. Her father, Simion, her mother Maria (Wakaruk), and their children settled at Sniatyn, Alberta.
Orthodox Marriage, 1898
At the new settlement, the 1896 marriage of Theodore Prokopievitch to Katherine Semeonovna Marianicz was blessed as an Orthodox Christian marriage on 12 June, 1898, at Wostok, Northwest Territories (Alberta), by Father Dmitry Kamnev, during his visit from Seattle, Washington, USA.
Together, Theodore and Katherine received from the Lord 8 children who survived to adulthood : Peggy (Pelagia, 1902-1937) ; Elias (Ilko,1905-1976) ; Marina (Marena, 1907-1973) ; Michael (Mechas, 1909-1968) ; Zoe (Zoya, 1911-1991) ; Nick (Nikolai, 1914-1971) ; Barbara (1916-1995) ; and Tom (Athanasius, 1918-2001). Antony, Onufrey, Anna, Peter, and Paul reposed at a young age (no more than 2 years of age).
Homesteading ; request for a priest
Theodore Nemirsky and his brother Kost (Konstantin) were amongst those who, with Theodore Fuhr (southwest of Edmonton), wrote a letter to Bishop Nicholas (Ziorov) in San Francisco, California, USA), which requested the services of a priest in the region. Kost was a cantor, sometimes called a "dyak". Bishop Nicholas (Ziorov) was at that time the head of the "Russian Mission" in North America.
When Father Dmitry Kamnev arrived (along with the Reader Vladimir Alexandrov) to baptise, and to marry the many who were requesting these sacraments, he was helped in the several very long services by Kost Nemirsky.
For this occasion, Wasel Stetsko had fashioned a large wooden Cross. On it, Theodore had carved the inscription : "In memory of the passing of the Galicians from the Greek Catholic faith to the Eastern Orthodox Faith".
On this first occasion, approximately 380 persons attended.
The Nemirsky homestead, site of the first Divine Liturgy served in Canada
Both during this first visit, and during the subsequent visit in the following year, Father Dmitry (together with the now Deacon Vladimir Alexandrov) served this community and many others. This included the frequent serving of the Divine Liturgy as Father Dmitry moved from place to place. As a result of this missionary venture, Theodore became a founding member of the Russo-Greek Catholic Orthodox Temple of the Holy Trinity in Stary Wostok, Alberta.
Upon his return from this visit, Father Dmitry Kamnev submitted the following report to Bishop Nicholas :
[...] At last we arrived in Edmonton. Our first obligation was to get to our Ruthenians living in this locality. At the Immigration Office we were told that a group of Ruthenians, in total, twenty-three families had chosen for themselves a spot about 15 miles from Edmonton – in a placed called “Rabbit Hills”, and the other group – about 120 families had gone farther about 70 miles from Edmonton – to a spot known as “Limestone Lake”. As we had communicated with the latter, we decided to go to them first – and to let the first group know that we would visit them on the way back. Having no opportunity to let the Limestone Lake settlers know about our arrival, as there is no telegraph and no post office there, we had to hire horses in Edmonton. There are no proper roads here, and each goes where the road looks best to him, and leaving early in the morning and wandering through various bluffs, by evening we wearily found the house of the nearest Ruthenian along the way – Mikhailo Melnyk. The impoverished conditions touched us so – besides a table and two or three boards put across stumps in place of benches, there was absolutely nothing ! – and the family is quite large. [...] He was glad of us and informed us that they were awaiting us, and had made arrangements for our lodging in the home of Theodore Nemirsky – but to get there would be ten more miles ! Having chatted with him we had to press on and at last we reached the designated spot where the good-hearted welcome of our host and his brother, Constantine Nemirsky, awaited us. We never got to stay in the house as good provision was made for us in a tent, thoughtfully offered to us by the brother of our host. This tent we would use the whole time of our stay there. To let the people know of our arrival, we decided next day to take horses and visit all the Ruthenians that lived in their own homes, as half the colony has not built homes yet and they live three and four families together with their nearest neighbours. The colony extends to about 20 miles in all, or maybe a bit more. The land is flat covered either with thick grass or light scrub, and there are frequent lakes or sloughs ; the climate is cool (even in July are frosts), but by the look of the settlers it is healthy ; one sees very few sick among them. Each one reaching the age of eighteen has the right to apply for 160 acres of land of his choice, having put down ten dollars for its entry : and so they get flung across the prairies at great distance. Most of the Ruthenians have no means and so live very poorly, but this does not discourage them – with God’s help, as they told us themselves, they wait for the not too distant future to gain the promise this virgin land holds, both for the raising of crops and of cattle. To get around to all the Ruthenians would take more than one day, so we did not manage to visit them all, as some were at work on the farms of German and English settlers. Everywhere we were met with great joy ; all without hesitation wanted to join the Holy Orthodox Church and above all, they were concerned that there was no Temple. Given their position in a strange land, the need for one was expressly felt. We comforted them that we would have a service on Saturday and Sunday, in which time they could fulfil their wish – to join the Orthodox Church. With much joy all of them agreed to come. There was no fitting home in which to have a Liturgy and so it was decided to have it in the open air. A rise in the midst of the open prairie on the farm of Theodore Nemirsky was chosen : on the crest of the land was placed a large three-barred Cross, decorated with a wreath of wildflowers and greenery. A new table was hedged with spruce saplings along its three sides, and between these trees white cloth was draped to ensure so that the candles could remain lighted. Although at this time there is often rain, the weather remained quiet and clear as if for our purposes. On Saturday evening after the blessing of water and the blessing of the spot for the Holy Liturgy, an All-Night Vigil was celebrated, and then there was a suitable time to talk with the people, in which the priest could speak of the purpose of our visit, that we came because of their desire, with the blessing of our Archpastor, to become one with the Holy Orthodox Church, at which time were explained the divergences of the teaching of the western Church with the Holy Orthodox Church. There were many in attendance, mainly women and children, as all the men for the great distance could not come. Next day in the early morning the people were already in full attendance. We began with Matins, and before the dismissal, the priest again turned to the people with the words as yesterday, and repeated the differences in teaching between the Latin Church and the Orthodox Church and after which, in response to the question : ‘Do you want to become sons of the true Orthodox Church ?’ came the answer as one : ‘We want to, Father, we were Orthodox in soul and the Latin way was always repugnant to us, and we renounce it !’ After Confession and the Rite of Union, the Divine Liturgy was served, during which those who had received Confession received the Holy Mysteries. After the Liturgy, a Moleben was sung for the long life of the Russian royal family, Queen Victoria, His Grace Bishop Nicholai of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska, and all the newly-received, which appeared to number about 600 souls, with women and children. After the kissing of the Cross and the blessing with holy water, Crosses and books in the small quantity that we had put our hand on for the trip were distributed. Then a marriage took place and the baptism of six infants. The service ended at five o’clock in the evening. And that evening, as the people were still assembled, after Vespers was a discussion concerning church matters. The consensus was to petition His Grace to receive the newly-joined flock into his Eparchy, a place was chosen for a church and a cemetery, and a Church Construction Committee consisting of ten people was selected. Ivan Halkov was chosen as chairman with Theodore Rudyk as his assistant. Members of the committee were : Ivan Lakusta, Konstantin Nemirsky, Dmitro Balan, Ivan Tkachuk, Vasyl Strashuk, Ivan Danchuk and Ivan Boris. Theodore Nemirsky was chosen as secretary. – This report was printed in the "Американский православный вестник" ("American Orthodox Messenger")
Katherine and Theodore Nemirsky, Maria Magdalena Nemirsky
Establishment of Holy Trinity Russo-Orthodox Church, 1897
During the visit of Father Dmitry, and in conjunction with the forming of the community, on 4 June, 1897, the foundation (or corner) stone was laid for the construction of the new Temple in honour of the Most Holy Trinity. Once everything was organised, the Temple was constructed on that site by the parishioners. It was constructed of logs.
Further family development ; entrepreneurial activities
Theodore Nemirsky requested that a post office be formed in the area. In about February, 1899, the Wostok Post Office was established on the Nemirsky homestead and he became the first postmaster, a position he retained until May, 1912. He was the first postmaster in the Wostok Post Office, but he was also the first Ukrainian postmaster in Canada.
For some years, Theodore acted as Land Guide for the Dominion Lands Office ("Land Titles") in Edmonton.
By 1904, Theodore had become sufficiently proficient in the English language that he was used frequently as an interpreter, and he was able to function as a Commissioner for Oaths.
In 1905, Theodore Nemirsky purchased land on the north side of Wostok at "Section 14, Township 56, Range 18, West of the 4th Meridian" (14-56-18-W4) and he moved his family and the post office to this new location.
At about the same time, he became an agent for Frost and Wood Machinery and for International Harvester Company, and in 1912 he entered a partnership with Dmitry Plechosky to operate a general store and machinery agency called "Nemirsky and Plechosky Company".
Theodore Nemirsky was appointed to various positions in the district. These included :
district commissioner of Local Improvement District (LID) Number (No.) 28-N-4 ; commissioner for oaths ; land guide for the Dominion Land Office ; provincial attendance officer ; enumerator of Polling Sub-division Number (No.) 13 in the Electoral Division of Victoria ; trustee for Wostok School District No. 528 and secretary for Lwiw School District No. 1474 ; and registrar of vital statistics. He was also a registered keeper of bees ; a licensed game guardian ; and he acted as an agent for the Yorkshire Insurance Company Limited (Ltd). He was a member of the Modern Woodmen of America Independence Camp No. 26 and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Lamont Lodge No. 78. – See the Alberta Provincial Archives, Nemirsky family fonds
Meticulous in the preparation of documents, Theodore insisted that proper names be spelt the way they were recorded in baptismal certificates. Since baptismal certificates in Galicia were often written in Latin, Mr. Nemirsky reproduced the names on applications for naturalisation also in Latin form. Examples are : Demetrius (Cybulak, Applic. No. 2709, Pakan, Alta, 6 June, 1904) ; Maximus (Chmelyk, Applic. No. 2943, Krakow, Alta., 10 Aug. 1904) ; Romanus (Nykilchuk, Beaver Lake, Alta., Applic. No. 3027, 10 Aug. 1904). These modifications of given names, as the signatures testify, were made with the full approval of the owners.
The farmstead of Theodore and Katherine was situated near the village of Saint Michael, south of Stary Wostok and west of the village of Wostok. During the course of his life, besides his various entrepreneurial interests, Theodore also took an active interest and part in regional politics. There were several other men in the region who had a similar interest.
Fire ; the first Temple was burnt, 1907
On 28 October, 1907, immediately after a memorial service ("panikhida"), the Temple was destroyed by fire. The disaster was a shock to the community ; but with the help of insurance, another larger and more beautiful Temple was constructed.
That the new Temple was to be 2 km (1 mi) south of the first site was a controversy that took some time to resolve. Also, a beautiful tall stone bell-house for the bell was erected beside the Temple.
In addition, a monastery in the name of the Elevation of the Holy Cross was constructed near the Temple.
Bereavement, 1920
On 24 February, 1920, at Wostok, Alberta, Theodore's mother, Maria Magdalena fell asleep in the Lord.
After the Funeral Services for the Burial of a Lay-person at Holy Trinity Church, Stary Wostok, the body of Maria Magdalena was interred in the parish cemetery near the Temple.
Grave marker of Maria Magdalena Nemirsky (born Danylchuk) at Old Wostok Cemetery
Bereavement, 1930, 1931
The parents of Katherine Nemirsky were parishioners at the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Temple at Kysylew, Alberta, near Andrew Alberta.
On 24 November, 1930, Semeon (Simion, Sam) Marianicz reposed in the Lord at Sniatyn, Alberta.
After the Funeral Services of the Burial of a Lay-person, the body of Semeon (Sam) Marianicz was interred in the cemetery of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Temple at Kysylew.
On 3 August, 1931, Maria Marianicz (born Wakaruk) reposed in the Lord in Lamont, Alberta.
After the Funeral Services of the Burial of a Lay-person, the body of Maria Marianicz (born Wakaruk) was interred in the cemetery of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Temple at Kysylew.
Marianicz grave-marker at Kysylew
Fire ; the second Temple was burnt, 1932
In December, 1932, the second Temple was destroyed by fire. Services continued to be offered on an improvised basis, and the parishioners attended services in other nearby Temples. These were the years of the Great Depression, so it took time to consider what to do and where to find resources should the Temple be rebuilt.
Repose of Katherine, 1933
On 5 February, 1933, Katherine Semeonovna Nemirsky (born Marianicz) reposed in Christ at home at Wostok.
Because of the fire of the previous year, the Funeral Services for the Burial of a Lay-person were offered at a Temple near to Holy Trinity Church, Stary Wostok.
After the completion of the funeral services, the body of Katherine Nemirsky was interred in the parish cemetery near the Temple.
Repose of Konstantin, 1934
24 February, 1934, Konstantin Nemirsky (brother of Theodore Nemirsky) fell asleep in the Lord at Lamont.
The Funeral Services for the Burial of a Lay-person were offered at a Temple near to Holy Trinity Church, Stary Wostok.
After the completion of the funeral services, the body of Konstantin Nemirsky was interred in the parish cemetery near the Temple.
Konstantin Nemirsky's wife Maria Nemirsky (born Slywka) continued to live until she fell asleep in the Lord at Wostok on 10 August, 1955.
The Funeral Services for the Burial of a Lay-person were offered Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Stary Wostok.
After the completion of the funeral services, the body of Maria Nemirsky was interred in the parish cemetery near the Temple.
Grave-markers for Konstantin and Maria Nemirsky
Construction of the third Temple, 1938
In 1938, the parishioners resolved to construct a third Temple, this time on the original site. Because of the difficult economic times, the decision could not be arrived at quickly.
It has been written that this Temple serves as a memorial to the founders of the congregation, but the Temple has had a rather more living and lively function amongst the parishioners and neighbours than as a mere memorial to ancestors. Nevertheless, there was no stage during the development and in the reconstructions in which Theodore Nemirsky was not involved.
Repose of Theodore, 1946
On Sunday, 21 July, 1946, Theodore Prokopievitch Nemirsky reposed in Christ at the Lamont Hospital in Lamont, southwest of his home. He had suffered a heart-attack.
The Funeral Services for the Burial of a Lay-person were served at Holy Trinity Church at Stary Wostok. The services were conducted by the Priests J Wasel and T Varkhol.
After the completion of the funeral services, the body of Theodore was interred beside that of his wife in the parish cemetery near the Temple.
Theodore Nemirsky was survived by 4 sons, 1 daughter and 8 grandchildren.
Reflections
Theodore's brother, Konstantin Nemirsky, who was born 31 May, 1855, in Bilche-Zolote, Borshchiv County, Galicia, Austria, (Western Ukraine), son of Prokopiy and Maria Magdalena Nemyrski, fell asleep in the Lord at Lamont on 24 February, 1934. His wife, Maria (Slywka), who was born in 1864 in Bilche-Zolote, and married in 1881, reposed in Christ at the Lamont Hospital on 10 August, 1955.
Grave-marker for Konstantin and Maria Nemirsky
As may be seen from the details of the life of Theodore Nemirsky, very soon after his arrival at the site of his homestead, he sought to find a way to provide for his family and his neighbours the possibility of worshipping as Orthodox Christians in an Orthodox Christian Temple. For this reason, he collaborated with his neighbours, and with Theodore Fuhr in Rabbit Hills to petition the bishop of the "Russian Mission" in North America for the services of a priest. This petition brought about the reunion of many families with the Orthodox Christian Church, and the subsequent construction of many Temples in the area of the Edna-Star Ukrainian Block Settlement.
Very soon afterwards, the first resident priest, Father Jakob Korchinsky arrived ; and he and his wife Matushka Barbara began to care for the pioneers.
Once settled, and on the basis of this good foundation, Theodore Nemirsky used his many talents to become well-established in the community at large. This led to the establishment of businesses, and to his activity in politics.
The obituary for Theodore Nemirsky (printed in the “Edmonton Journal” on 23 July, 1946) indicated that Theodore was very well-known in the Wostok-Saint Michael-Andrew region. The obituary also referred to Holy Trinity Church, Stary Wostok, as the "Krakow Russian Orthodox Church". This indicates the local nickname of this Temple, many of whose parishioners came from Jaroslaw, 215 km (134 mi) east of Krakow, Poland. There is a place-name "Krakow" in Central Alberta, but it is too far south to be identified with this particular Temple.
It was written about Theodore Nemirsky that he was "only one of numerous European settlers in this country with the ambition and initiative necessary to start a new life".
It must not be forgotten that in his case, and that of his family and his wife's family, it was their Orthodox Christian Faith that provided the necessary strength. Their faith helped and guided them. It enabled them to survive difficulties in their homeland, and their faith nurtured their ingenuity. Their faith and confidence in God's personal care for them enabled them to undertake the immense upheaval of changing continents and cultures. Their constant trust in the Lord helped them to pass through the extreme difficulties involved in pioneering (without subsidies), as well as establishing not only their own families, but also the Orthodox Christian Faith in their new homeland.
References
Archdiocese of Canada – Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).
‘Priest V Alexandrov : Journey to Canada – A Priest’s Diary’ in “Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada”
“Pride in Progress : Chipman - St. Michael - Star Districts” (Chipman, Alberta : Alberta Rose Historical Society, 1982), pp. 173-176 ; 575-576. ISBN : 0-88925-369-2.
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Additional information :
Czumer, William A, “Recollections About the Life of the First Ukrainian Settlers in Canada” (Edmonton : Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, 1981), pp. 42, 52, 61, 62, 97, 158.
Kay, Vladimir J, ed., “Dictionary of Ukrainian Canadian Biography of Pioneer Settlers of Alberta, 1891-1900” (Edmonton, AB : The Ukrainian Pioneer’s Association of Alberta, 1984). (Maria Magdalena Nemirsky, Theodore and Constantine Nemirsky, pp. 192-193.)
……, “Early Ukrainian Settlements in Canada 1895-1900 : Dr. Josef Oleskow’s Role in the Settlement of the Canadian Northwest” (Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1964). ISBN : 9781487576554.
Holy Trinity Russo-Orthodox Church, Stary Wostok, Alberta
Archdiocese of Canada (OCA) listing for Holy Trinity Russo-Orthodox Church, Stary Wostok, Alberta
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada (OCA)
Orthodox Church in America listing for Holy Trinity Russo-Orthodox Church, Stary Wostok, Alberta
Orthodox Church in America web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
Patriarchal Parishes of Canada listing for Holy Trinity Russo-Orthodox Church, Stary Wostok, Alberta
Patriarchal Parishes of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Patriarchal Parishes of Canada
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Volodymyr (Sabodan)
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk)
Archbishop Jonathan (Kopolovich)
Priest Dmitri Kamnev
Findagrave information for Theodore Nemirsky
Findagrave information for Maria Magdalena Nemirsky
Findagrave reference for Konstantin Nemirsky
Findagrave reference for Maria Slywka Nemirsky
Findagrave information for Semeon Marianicz
Findagrave information for Maria (Wakaruk) Marianicz
Findagrave reference for Katherine Marianicz Nemisky
Old Wostok cemetery (has photos of the cemetery)
Old Wostok cemetery names (all Nemirsky family names are listed)
Findagrave reference to the Holy Trinity Orthodox Church Cemetery
Findagrave reference for the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Cemetery, Kysylew, Alberta
Genealogy of Katherine Marianicz
Genealogy of Theodore Nemirsky
Hermis Heritage archives : Nemirsky Family Fonds
Archives Society of Alberta : Russo Greek Catholic Orthodox Congregation of Holy Trinity Fonds
Moscow Patriarchate Parishes history of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada
Pioneer Churches on the Prairies : Holy Trinity Russo Orthodox Church, Old Wostok, Alberta
Wikipedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Wikipedia article about the Ukrainian Diaspora
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about the Ukrainian settlement in the Canadian Prairies











