Kysylew AB Nativity of the Holy Virgin Russo Orthodox Church 1898

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


NativityOfTheHolyVirginChurchCemeteryKysylewAndrew 1.png

Kysylew, Alberta, Nativity of the Holy Virgin Russo Orthodox Church, 1898, 1905


Kysylew may be spelt Kisilevo, Kyseliv, Kitsman.

Wasyl may be spelt Vasyl, Vasily, Basil.


Prehistory

Kysylew, Alberta, Canada, is situated approximately 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Andrew, Alberta, and 120 km (73 mi) northeast of Edmonton. "Kysylew" is a Polonised mis-spelling of Kyseliv, which is near Kitsman in Kitsman County ("raion") of the Chernivtsi Oblast (province) in the region of North Bukovina.

In the region from which the pioneers emigrated, the people historically were Orthodox Christians. However, under the pressures of the Austro-Hungarian Empire when it came into control of this territory, many people had been pressed into the "Unia" (union with the Roman Catholic Church). Besides this, there were many other pressures on the people who worked the land in that region which made life very difficult. When the opportunity arrived for people to emigrate to Canada, a large number of Orthodox Christians and others took this opportunity despite all the potential difficulties and risks.

As is the case with most other parishes in this region of Alberta, the place-name indicates the place of origin of the majority of pioneer settlers who emigrated to Canada and settled as new immigrants near this site, beginning before the turn of the 20th century.

Kysylew is also sometimes referred to as “Whitford”. However, Whitford is situated on the east side of Whitford Lake and beyond the present village of Andrew, to the east, whereas Kysylew is somewhat (about 5 km) northwest of Andrew. The settlement of Kysylew, as with Sachava, pre-dated the establishment of the village of Andrew.

Founding the parish, 1898

The parish of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin at Kysylew was founded in 1898 by those Orthodox Christians who had just arrived in this area of the Northwest Territories from what was at that time a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Retaining, living and practicing daily their Orthodox Christian Faith, the settlers gathered together to worship together in their homes (they used a reader’s form of services such as "Typica"), and they began the work required to organise the parish and to construct a Temple to the Lord. As usual, a portion of property was donated for this purpose.

Immediately, while the people began to clear the land and build their first temporary shelters, they began to gather regularly in order to pray together (just as they had done all their lives before in their homeland). At this same time, the first missionary priests were arriving from Seattle, Washington, and the first Divine Liturgy was being served at Stary Wostok in 1898. As in other places in this region, the people began to prepare for the construction of a Temple in which they could worship the Lord as they had done before in their homeland.

The founders of the Parish of the Nativity of the Theotokos were :

 George Dugger ; Ostafy Ewanchuk ; Wasyl Filipchuk ; Wasyl Makan ; George Matuschak ; Todor Nemersky ; 
 Peter Palamarek ; Nichon Shandro ; Fred Strembitsky ; John Wakaruk ; Nikolai Zabrick ; Wasyl Zahria ; 
 Sando Zukiwski.   

Acquisition of land for the Temple and Cemetery

They first secured a 16-hectare (40 acres) site on which they would construct a Temple, and also have a cemetery.

This site also has landmark value in modern times because of its association with the route of the South Victoria Trail which led from Edmonton (in the Northwest Territories, later the Province of Alberta) to the Hudson's Bay Company's Fort Victoria and the Victoria Settlement via the south side of the North Saskatchewan River. This trail was surveyed by the government in 1896, and it crossed Egg Creek via a small bridge a short distance north of the present crossing. Although the plan for the trail was cancelled in 1922, the landscape has remained largely unchanged and it still includes a trail running east over a wooden bridge that leads to the cemetery on the west side of Egg Creek.

Construction of the Temple completed, 1902

After 2 years of labour, by 1902, the Temple had been constructed from logs by the faithful people and the work was completed. In that year, the community was incorporated legally.

The Temple was formally dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos by the priests of the "Russian Orthodox Mission" who served this community.

The first priest to serve the church was the Priest Alexander Antoniell.

Visit of Bishop Tikhon (Belavin), 1905

Then, in 1905, Bishop Tikhon (Belavin) arrived and he sanctified this Temple. He also sanctified other Temples in the region, such as Saint Barbara's Russo-Orthodox Church in Edmonton ; Holy Trinity Russo-Orthodox Church at Stary Wostok ; Saint Mary's Temple at Shandro ; and the Holy Trinity Church in Smoky Lake.

Donation of bells, 1911

Church bells were donated to the congregation in 1911, and an extension to the Temple building was constructed in 1921. This Temple served the faithful until the late 1940s.

Rural depopulation after 1930

In the same manner as almost all other rural parishes in Western Canada, this parish also began to suffer from the rural depopulation that began in the 1930s and steadily increased after World War II.

There is a rumour that in 1949, the original log Temple was destroyed by fire. However, the interior oral tradition of the parishioners is that in fact the parishioners had decided to rebuild the Temple. The original logs were sawn into boards and other material which was necessary. Other materials were purchased, and those portions of the old Temple which could not be re-used were buried near the site.

Second Temple, 1950

In 1950, the congregation embarked on a construction project that would soon become the Temple which stands today. The new Temple was erected approximately 30 m (100 ft) to the east of the original building.

Kysylew Nativity of the Theotokos Church.jpg


The carpenter who led the building was John (Ivan) Mnoholinity (1890-1962). The Temple building is an important example of his later work. He was a well-known and highly skilled church builder, who built more than 20 churches across Canada.

This new Temple is a large, wood-frame Temple built in the so-called Byzantine tradition which features 2 large and 3 smaller onion-shaped domes, each capped with metal tri-bar Orthodox Crosses. It is constructed over a basement which is used for social gatherings and meetings. It is correctly oriented, with the main door at the west end (which means that the main, western, door does not face the road). This Temple presents a distinctive and impressive silhouette as a highly visible symbol of the continuity of the Orthodox Christian Faith in the district. This has been the case, including the first Temple, for more than 120 years.

The Nativity of the Holy Virgin Orthodox Temple at Kysylew is architecturally significant as the last and the largest wood-frame church built in Lamont County that was rooted in the Byzantine architectural tradition as it evolved in western Canada. The Temple has an elaborate and sophisticated cruciform plan. Above the nave at the crossing with the transepts is a large, open, octagonal drum-like structure, above which is a large, open, onion-shaped dome or cupola. The cupola terminates in a small ball, which is surmounted by a metal tri-bar Cross, typical amongst the Russian and Ukrainian Orthodox. The sanctuary (Holy Place, Altar) is contained in an apse at the eastern end, over which there is an octagonal drum, cupola and Cross, smaller than that on the main cupola. This apsidal section is flanked by a sacristy on the south side.

The Temple incorporates a distinct narthex extension at the west end of the building. This square section provides 3 levels. The lowest is the entry/vestibule (narthex). Above this is the place for the choir. Above the choir section is a domed belfry, complete with blind round windows and louvered openings (for the sound of the bells). All this is capped by a cupola with a metal 3-bar Cross. This feature is similar to that of the Dormition Temple in Shandro, and to the Temple of Saints Peter and Paul in Dickie Bush. On the rear sides of the narthex extension-cum-bell-tower are twin towers. Each has an octagonal drum (complete with appliqué window treatment), above which is a small onion-shaped dome. Upon this dome is a ball surmounted by a metal tri-bar Cross. The whole Temple structure presents a complex roof line comprised of gable and hip elements unified by consistent eave lines creating a harmonious whole design. The window-patterns are notable. There are the large arched single-hung windows with segments of patterned pressed glass that form the shape of a Cross, and there are round, segmented windows with coloured pressed glass.


Kysylew interior.jpg Kysylew Nativity of the Theotokos Church interior.jpg Temple interior


The configuration of the interior of the Temple includes the nave, the transepts, and the Holy Place (sanctuary, Altar) which is separated from the nave by an iconostas. Over the Holy Place and transepts are vaulted ceilings and there is the remarkable open dome together with its pendentives above the nave. Over the narthex is the choir-loft, which has access through the domed tower on its northwest corner. Laminated plywood panelling is now on the walls and ceilings and the dome, and there are original mouldings, door and window wood trim of note. There are many original liturgical items. These include the various decorative elements in the Temple. The chief of these is the wooden 3-level iconostas (including its Royal Doors). This iconostas has carved panels that enclose the icons executed by Father John Wasil, who served in many of the parishes in this region. Within most of them, such as the Holy Transfiguration in North Bank, there are several or many of his icons.

The work of Father John Wasil, who painted most of the icons in this Temple, is representative of the continuing post-World War II tradition of religious art in Eastern Rite churches in Alberta. The icon of Saint Nicholas is noteworthy for its inscription in both Old Church Slavonic and Hungarian.

The Temple’s exterior also has distinct and unique features. The first to be seen is the trail which runs to the northwest over a wooden bridge in the direction of the second feature. This is the cemetery on the west side of Egg Creek.

Bereavement, 1960

On 15 September, 1960, the Priest Wasyl Boyko, who had served this parish, fell asleep in the Lord.

Soon thereafter, the Service for the Burial of a Priest was served by many priests from the surrounding area.

His body was interred near the Temple, and not at the cemetery. The coffin was covered with a Union Jack because Father Boyko had served in the Canadian Armed Forces.


Boyko funeral CS.png Priests carry the body of Father Wasyl Boyko to the grave


Archpriest Vasyl and Matushka Vasylyna Ostashek served in this parish for very many years (1968-1993). The community has consistently demonstrated warm hospitality to visitors, and it has remained an active contributor to the life of the Orthodox Christian Church in this region.

In 1978, a stone monument was erected, on which the parish is called “Canadian Orthodox Church”.


Historical marker Kysylew 2.png Historical Monument


On 11 November, 1982, "Remembrance Day", the Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek served a panikhida (memorial service) for the Priest Wasyl Boyko who had reposed in Christ in 1960. Present were representatives of the Royal Canadian Legion, since Father Boyko had previously served in the Canadian Armed Forces.


Boyko panikhidaSCS.png 11 November, 1982 panikhida for Father Wasyl Boyko


In 1993, the Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek retired from active pastoral service, primarily because of failing eyesight. He and Matushka Lena continued to attend services in the various parishes, but there was no longer the need to bear the responsibility. They both continued to serve actively (in the Altar and in the choir) regardless.

Bereavement, 1998

On 24 July, 1998, at 3:00 p.m., the Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek very suddenly fell asleep in the Lord.

On 29 July, 1998, the Funeral Services for the Burial of a Presbyter were offered in the Temple of Saints Peter and Paul at Dickie Bush, and his body was interred in the cemetery of the Parish of Holy Ascension at Wasel.

After Father Vasyl’s retirement in 1993 and repose in 1998, the parish began to participate in one of the 2 parish groupings that were developing in the 1990s. In doing so, the parishes supported each other in being able to provide for a priest who would serve them.

In 2001, at the conclusion of the Archdiocesan Assembly Meeting of the Archdiocese of Canada in Edmonton, Alberta, buses of representatives and clergy visited various historical rural parishes, including the Temple of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin at Kysylew. The parishioners warmly greeted their guests. At each stop, the visitors learnt a considerable amount about the history of the Orthodox Church in Canada.


Nativity of the Theotokos Temple S.jpg Nativity of the Theotokos Temple

2018 : 120 years

On Sunday, 4 August, 2018, the parish of the Nativity of the Theotokos celebrated the first 120 years of its presence and service to the Orthodox Christian Faithful in the Andrew region and beyond. In the morning, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon), the ruling bishop of the Archdiocese of Canada, arrived and he was greeted at the entrance in the customary fashion with bread and salt, by Audrey Matan, and flowers by Sylvia Ostopowich. The local MLA Jessica Littlewood also greeted him. Then he was greeted by Archimandrite Gerasim (Power) with the Holy Cross, and by Protodeacon Jesse Isaac with the censer.

Afterwards, Vladyka led the celebration of the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy together with the rector, Archimandrite Gerasim (Power), the Priest Daniel Friesen, the Priest Raphael Johnston, the Priest Kolin Berglund. Another guest, the Priest John Plewa was present. Afterwards, there followed the blessing of the new memorial table which was installed near the Temple especially for this anniversary.

After this, there was a festal dinner with a special programme in Andrew, at the Andrew Community Centre.

Anniversary photos :

IMG 20180821 171311 CBS.png Sylvia Ostopowich gives flowers, Audrey Matan gives bread and salt

Anniversary Choir S.png Anniversary choir

Lesser Entance S.png Lesser entrance

Sanctifying the Memorial Table S.png Sanctifying the Memorial Table

IMG 20180821 171254 CBS.png Anniversary memorial table

Serving clergy CS.png Serving clergy with Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Mary Ewanchuk eldest parishioner CS.png Eldest parishioner (97) Mary Ewanchuk

Archimandrite Gerasim CS.png Archimandrite Gerasim (Power)

Vl Irenee CS.png Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)


This parish has persisted faithfully and quietly since the beginning to offer service to the Lord, both in worship in the Temple, and in the manner of the way of life of the parishioners.


Kysylew Nativity of the Theotokos Church from the cemetery S.jpg The Temple viewed from the cemetery, across Egg Creek

Sunday of Orthodoxy, 2025

On 9 March, 2025, the first Sunday of Great Lent, we celebrate the Triumph of Orthodoxy over iconoclasm, in the destruction of religious icons in the Temple in Kysylew.

During the services of that weekend, they commemorated the restoration of icons for use in our Orthodox Christian services, and in the private devotional lives of Orthodox Christians.

Led by their pastor, Archpriest Vitalie Manoli, the faithful of the "Century Parishes" (a "family" of 9 parish communities near/in Edmonton) in Alberta gathered to celebrate this feast-day at the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Church in Kysylew-Andrew.


SunOrthodKysylew25 2.jpg Sunday of Orthodoxy, 2025

Some priests

Some priests who served in this community include :

Archpriest John Diachena 2.png Archpriest John Kowalchuk C 2.png

Archpriest John Diachena (left) ; Archpriest John Kowalchuk (right)


Archpriest Vasily Boyko 2.png Archpriest John Wasil C 2.png

Archpriest Vasily Boyko (left) ; Archpriest John Wasil (right)


Archpriest Varnava Karateew 2.png Bishop Ioasaph, Father Michael Andruchow C 2.png

Archpriest Varnava Karateew (left) ; Bishop Joasaph, Archpriest Michael Andruchow (right)


Bishop Ioasaph, Apr W Ostashek, Protodn Andrey Somow et al C 2.png Archpriest W Ostashek 2.png

Protodeacon Andrey Somow, Bishop Ioasaph, Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek, et al (left) ; Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek (right)


Archpriest Nikolai Nikoaev 2.png Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev

Kysylew Nativity of the Holy Virgin Cemetery, 1899

The cemetery is located at the Land Description Site NE 07 57 16 W4, northwest of Andrew, Alberta. To the west of the Temple, there is a road that crosses Egg Creek, to the place where the cemetery is located.


Kysylew Nativity of the Holy Virigin Cemetery Yard 2S.jpg Views of the cemetery


Kysylew Nativity cemetery aerial 2.png Kysylew Nativity cemetery 2 aerial 2.png


Kysylew Nativity cemetery other 2.png Kysylew Nativity cemetery another 2.png


In 2022, there were about 420 known interments in the cemetery.


CEM2543650 1412609108S.jpg Parish sign

Particular parish information

This parish is a part of the Deanery of Alberta & Northwest Territories, of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is Archpriest Vincent Lehr. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).

The services are in the English and Slavonic languages.

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of the Temple is the Feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos, 8/21 September.

In 2025, the parish priest is Archpriest Vitalie Manoli.


Directions :

The Nativity of the Holy Virgin Church Temple at Kysylew, Alberta, is situated approximately 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Andrew, Alberta. It is located about 2 km (1 mi) west of Andrew on Highway #45, and then about 2 km (1 mi) north.

From Edmonton, Andrew/Kysylew is located about 120 km (73 mi) northeast of Edmonton. Drive west from Edmonton on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) until Mundare. Turn left (north) on Highway #855. Drive through Andrew to the junction with Highway #45. Turn left (west). Drive about 2 km (1 mi) to Range Road #165, and turn right (north) and drive to the Temple, which is highly visible on the left.

The Temple is found at Land Description Site NE 7-57-16-W4.


Mailing address :

Nativity of the Holy Virgin Russo Orthodox Church

Box 361

Andrew, Alberta

T0B 0C0


Please contact either the dean (Archpriest Vincent Lehr) about service times and dates,

(E-mail : frvincent@sthermans.ca)

or contact the parish priest, Archpriest Vitalie Manoli

(E-mail : vitalie.manoli@gmail.com)


The Nativity of the Holy Virgin Orthodox Church in Andrew Alberta 3.png


Nativity of the Theotokos Kysylew 2 1.png

Aerial views of the Temple of the Nativity of the Theotokos, Kysylew (the cemetery is to the left)

References

Alexandrov, V, "Journey to Canada : A Priest’s Diary"

Archdiocese of Canada – Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).

Lamont County Research file : The Nativity of the Holy Virgin Orthodox Church of Kysylew.

Roots of Community : First Churches

Lamont County Churches

The Russian Mission in North America

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., "Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America" (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.


Additional information :

Archdiocese listing

OCA listing

Orthodox World listing

Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada

Wikipedia article about the Archdiocese of Canada

Orthodox Church in America web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America

Archbishop (Saint) Tikhon (Belavin)

Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)

Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)

Metropolitan Ireney (Bekish)

Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)

Metropolitan Herman (Swaiko)

Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)

Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard)

Archbishop Nikon (de Grève)

Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Historic Places listing for the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Orthodox Church, Kysylew, Alberta

Alberta Register of Historic Places for the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Orthodox Church of Kysylew, Alberta

Kysylew School District #1467 (1906-1947) records

Prairiechurches.ca article about Nativity of the Holy Virgin Temple

Findagrave reference for the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Orthodox Church, Kysylew, Alberta

Photo of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Orthodox Church, Kysylew, Alberta

List of Canadian place names of Ukrainian origin

Wikipedia article about Kitsman, Ukraine

List of names in the Kysylew Cemetery

Lamont County church tour of historic churches

Article : 'Photos capture spirit of Lamont churches' in "Western Catholic Reporter"

Brochure "Church Capital of North America Lamont County" (articles and photos about some of the 47 churches in the county), p. 39.

List of Orthodox parishes in Alberta

Great Blessing of Water at Theophany in Kysylew, Alberta (19 January, 2019)

Sunday of Orthodoxy celebrated in the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Orthodox Church, Kysylew, Alberta (9 March, 2025)

‘Churches of Rural Alberta’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), pp. 4-5.

‘Archdiocese of Canada Assembly’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2001), pp. 1-6.

‘Assembly pilgrims visit heritage churches’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2001), pp. 7-8.