Shandro AB Holy Assumption (Dormition) Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1899

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Entrance gate Holy Dormition Shandro AB-20170724 - 1.jpg

Shandro, AB, Church and Cemetery of the Holy Assumption (Dormition), 1899/1904


The parish has (with some people) the nickname "Shandros", because it was the Shandro family that provided the land on which the Temple was constructed.



Prehistory

As is the case with other Temples in this district of Two Hills County (and parts of Lamont County) in Alberta, Canada, the settlers of this district had originated in villages near the city of Cernăuţi (Chernivtsi) in the Chernivtsi province of Ukraine, which is historically northern Bucovina.

At that time, it was the Duchy of Bukovina in Moldavia, Romania. It was this part of Bucovina that was severed as one result of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact between Mr. J Stalin and the western European powers before World War II. The whole province was then divided so that Romanian-speakers were living within the Soviet Union, in Ukraine, and they were pressed to speak Ukrainian. There were also some Ukrainian speakers who then lived in Romania, and who were pressed to speak Romanian. Previously, they had all lived together without this pressure and division of families.

At the time of their emigration to Canada at about the turn of the 19th-20th centuries, this region was within the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It is for this reason that some families are registered as having come from Austria, when they had in fact come from this particular province. The northern part of this province, whose main city is Chernivtsi, is a region in which more Ukrainian is spoken than in the southern part of Bucovina. However, the whole province had then and it has now a very large presence of Romanian-speakers. The people from this region have always been strongly Orthodox Christians.

As were other parish communities in Alberta and Saskatchewan, this parish of the Dormition of the Theotokos at Shandro was registered under the incorporation of the Orthodox Bishop in the Statutes of the North-West Territories. The incorporation of the bishop-and-parishes had been accomplished in 1903 by Bishop Tikhon (Belavin).

Thus, the beginning of the history of this parish was within the “Russian Mission”. This was the popular name for what was at that time called the Diocese of the Aleutians and North America. It was Saint Tikhon who began using the term “Russo-Greek Orthodox” to describe the majority of Canadian parishes under his omophor.

Shandro family

The Shandro family in particular came from the village Baniliv, which is in the western part of the present Chernivtsi Oblast (province), on the south side of the Cheremosh River, a tributary of the River Prut (there is another Baniliv, farther south and nearer the present Romanian border). The Ostasheks and others also came from Baniliv. The Hawrelaks came from Vashkivtsi, also by the River Cheremosh. The Tkachuks came from Kotul Bainsky, a little to the south-east of Chernivtsi. For those who formerly lived near the Cheremosh or Prut rivers, living quite near to the North Saskatchewan River (and also on the south bank) may have provided some sort of small reminder of “home”.

Founding the parish, 1899

Original families, 1899

In May, 1899, Paul Boychuk, Semion Hawrelak, George Ostashek, Anton Russ, Stefan Shandro, Nikon Shandro, and their families, a group of immigrants from the province of Bucovina, Austria, settled in what is now Lamont County, in what is now Alberta (but then North-West Territories), Canada. They numbered 28.

Likely, many of them arrived as a result of the enticements of the Government of Canada and the presentations of Dr. Josef Oleskow. Their immediate concerns were those of survival, and their first endeavours in the new country were to clear land, to build shelters and to plant food crops. To begin with, they prepared dugout sod homes, called "soddies" or "boordays". They then planted seeds that they had brought with them.

Choosing the site for the Temple and cemetery

Since they were all Orthodox Christians, they also felt the immediate and pressing need for a Temple. Therefore, during that summer, Stephan and Nikon Shandro and Semion Hawrelak and their wives selected what they thought would be a good site for the church and cemetery.

That autumn, more settlers emigrated from neighbouring villages in Bucovina (Boriwtci, Zadubriwtci, Washkiwtci, Ispas), also of the Orthodox Faith.

The Priest Alexander Antoniev came to bless the site of the future Temple.

On 7 January, 1900, the community met after they had celebrated the Feast of the Nativity of Christ, and by the Feast of Pascha (Easter) of 1900, they had approved the site for the new Temple. In order to obtain the necessary government approvals, Nikon Shandro, Jacob Matichuk and George Ostashek made the 129 km (80 mi) journey to Edmonton. Through an interpreter (they could not yet speak English), they presented their case to the government officials, and their requests were granted. The standard allotment for a church was 40 acres.

First Divine Liturgy, 1900

In June, 1900, the cemetery was blessed and sanctified by the Priest Jacob Korchinsky, a travelling missionary priest in this region, who visited the community for 3 days and served the first Divine Liturgy on the site (in the open). Thirty-three children were baptised and chrismated that day. Their families had travelled from many miles away by horse and oxen.

Construction of the Temple, 1902

In the winter of 1901-1902, trees were cut and timbers milled from them for the new Temple, and construction began that summer. Under the leadership of head carpenter Stefan Rosychuk (the only one who was paid for his work), a crew of volunteer labour completed the main body of the structure by the spring of 1904. The interior, completed by Stefan Gudzowaty, was finished several years later.

Description of the Temple

Saint Mary’s Russo-Greek Orthodox Church at Shandro is a traditional wooden Bucovinian “tripartite”, or 3-sectioned design plan with angular roofs and gables, topped by 3 small onion-shaped domes or cupolas (some affectionately call them “banyaks”, that is, “pots”). The exterior walls are wood-sided and the roof is cedar-shingled. The designer and head carpenter was Stephan Rosychuk, who could neither read nor write ; his amazingly accurate designs came from his memory of Ukraine. Mr. Rosychuk’s style of architecture is unmistakable, as it combined more than one element of different regions in Ukraine and Eastern Europe into one harmonious design. Saint Mary’s Temple at Shandro is structurally noteworthy for this reason.

The following parishioners were born before 1904 (as of 1987) :

 Mrs. Sevata Ambrosie ; Mr. Moisy Hawreliak ; Mrs Baselena Kucher ; Mrs. Lena Leliuk ; Mrs Katherine Lukowanko ; 
 Mr. Nick Mekechuk ; Mrs. Mary Menzak ; Mrs. Nastasia Shandro ; Mr. & Mrs. William N Shandro ;  
 Mrs. Vera Shapka ; Mr. John Tkachuk ; Mr. & Mrs. Anton Ulchik ; Mr. John Waselashko ; Mr. William Zazula.

Sanctification of the Temple by Bishop (Saint) Tikhon (Belavin), 1904

On 28 August, 1904, Bishop Tikhon (Belavin) of North America and the Aleutians (later Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and then Saint Tikhon), accompanied by 2 priests of the Orthodox Faith, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy at the new Temple. At the same time, the Temple was sanctified and named in honour of the Dormition of the Mother of God.

Corporate status, 1904

Considering the facts that Bishop Tikhon had only the previous year achieved a legislative act which enabled the corporate existence of the Orthodox bishop and Orthodox parishes in Western Canada, and that Bishop Tikhon later became not only Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia, but also a saint, it is now indeed considered to be a great blessing that he was the first cleric to serve in this newly-constructed Temple. Of course, his labours enabled the corporate status of this parish at that time.

It is not forgotten that his glorification as a saint came about because of his intense missionary activity, both in North America and Europe, his calm but steadfast leadership of the Church during some of its darkest hours of persecution (following the Bolshevik Revolution), and because of his untimely death in 1925 while under house-arrest by the Soviets.

The belfry, 1913

In 1913, a belfry (bell-house) was added as an integral part of the Temple building, at the western entrance, which was rather unusual for this period, and characteristic of Mr. Rosychuk’s distinctive architectural style. The belfry is of Ukrainian/Carpathian design : square, topped with an octagonal drum featuring flared overhangs. What is most unique is that on top of this structure is an amazing 16-sided drum, capped with a modified Greek-Byzantine (rather than Slavic) dome. This gives the unusual appearance of a lighthouse.


Holy Dormition Shandro western entrance 2.png Western door and belfry above


The belfry is located above the second level of the Temple, just over the west door entry-way. It is accessed by a wooden staircase via the vestibule. The addition of the tower gives the whole building the look of a more Lemko-Carpathian-style Temple. However, the original and fundamental Bucovinian design still prevails, and the 2 styles work harmoniously together to make an Orthodox pioneer church which is completely unique in all Canada. The work was completed in 1915.

Saint Mary’s Church is truly a landmark for the surrounding region. Due to the scarcity of original Rosychuk churches, its completely unique design, unusually blended elements, and long history, Saint Mary’s Russo-Greek Orthodox Church at Shandro is a prominent, rare jewel in Two Hills County, Alberta, and indeed in Canada. With its rich history, continued use, unusual artifacts, and its outstanding Ukrainian-Canadian vernacular architectural features, it is considered to be a precious legacy for Two Hills County.


Dormition Shandro.jpg


Building characteristics

In this particular Temple (in some ways similar to Saints Peter and Paul, Dickie Bush), a person enters the Temple from the west end at one level, and then descends by 1 step to the nave. Although the transepts of Saint Mary’s are much less noticeable than they are in Dickie Bush (it was also built under the leadership of Mr. Rosychuk), they both reflect the usual Cruciform structure of Orthodox Temples. Although the transepts would typically be used for singers, these raised areas provide an opportunity for those who stand to the sides and to the rear to be able better to see and to hear the services (assuming that, following the historical custom, those who come first to the Temple stand nearest to the Altar).

Saint Mary’s Russo-Greek Orthodox Church at Shandro stands as a historical site not only because of its age and the manner of origin, but also because it contains some important artifacts directly associated with Bishop Tikhon (Belavin). These include : a signed Church Founding Certificate (also known as a “gramota”), a 1904 Slavonic Gospel Book, and a Holy Relic of Saint Tikhon.

According to the analysts concerned with the historical status of the building itself, its source in the Bucovinian tradition includes architectural features and decorative detailing such as : the exterior itself ; the cedar-shingled roof ; its construction with wooden, hewn logs ; its tripartite design with angular roofs and gables ; its onion-shaped domes with metal Orthodox Crosses ; the nature of its interior, including the spatial configuration of the nave, transepts, and the Altar which is separated from the nave by an iconostas ; its vaulted ceiling ; the vestibule (narthex) with stairs that lead to the belfry. This design, however, is not identical with that of the 8 Temples in Moldavia which date from the time of Saint King Stefan the Great and his family (15th and 16th centuries).

The belfry contains a half-peal (4) of finely-tuned bronze bells made in the early 1900s in foundries, both in Winnipeg, Manitoba and in Michigan, USA.

The Temple contains the original period hand-painted, framed icons on the iconostas, and the other framed icons which are distributed throughout the Temple. It has the original “plashchanitsa” (Burial Shroud of Christ) for Holy Friday services, which was made circa 1905. It has a late Victorian crystal chandelier. Hung in a frame is the Church Founding Certificate (gramota) signed and presented in 1904 by Saint Tikhon. There is a Slavonic Gospel Book which has been in the Temple since 1904. There is a Holy Relic of Saint Tikhon. There are also other original liturgical items, including a chalice, a censer, crucifixes, an “antimins”, 4 processional banners, 2 processional Crosses, 2 stationary banners, 2 framed icon paintings by the Archpriest John Wasel (†1974).


Holy Assumption Shandro.jpg Viewed from the south

Time of historical disturbances, 1920s

After World War I and after the Bolshevik Revolution against the Russian Empire, there came to Canada and to Alberta a period of considerable disturbance in Church life. At the end of the war, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada had been established, and many parishes throughout the prairie provinces determined to join this entity because of the use of the Ukrainian language instead of Church Slavonic in the services.

During the 1920s and 1930s also, there were divisions of sorts amongst the western Canadian parishes of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America. Bishop Adam (Philiposvsky) had previously been the administrator of the Canadian parishes of the ROGCCNA when it was yet the North American Diocese of the Russian Mission. However, he became a bishop of the Carpatho-Rusyn Diocese in the USA in 1922, and during the following decades he made visits to the Canadian parishes he once served. These visits were welcomed by the people, since they knew and loved him from before ; however, he did not make these visits with the blessing of the ruling bishop at that time, Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov). This caused confusion and some controversy as a result, and some of the effects of those incorrect visits remain even now.

Rural depopulation

As have all other rural parishes across Western Canada, this parish community suffered from rural depopulation, which began in the 1930s. This accelerated after World War II with the increase in mechanisation and the consolidation of small farms into larger ones. The consequence of this was the move of many people into various urban areas.

By the 1990s, the number of farms had decreased even more greatly because a great many had been bought by larger and larger farming operations.

Vladyka Sylvester, 1963 ; Vladyka Joasaph, 1968

In 1963, Bishop Sylvester (Haruns) became the Bishop of Montréal and of the Archdiocese of Canada, and he soon made a pastoral visitation to many of the parishes in the country. In that same year, the interior of the Temple was renovated.

In the late 1960s, the Church in North America began negotiations with the Moscow Patriarchate, which led to the granting of autocephaly to The Orthodox Church in America. This caused much controversy and conflict in the life of the Church in Canada because of the complications of the past decades, political fears, and the difficulties that people generally have about forgiving.

On 7 April, 1968, Bishop Joasaph (Antoniuk) was ordained to the Holy Episcopate in order to serve as the Vicar-Bishop to Archbishop Sylvester. He moved at first to Edmonton, Alberta, where he served in the Temple of All Saints (which later became a non-canonical congregation), and also in the rural parishes to the northeast. Even after he was transferred to serve in Vancouver, British Columbia, Vladyka Joasaph returned many times to serve at Saint Mary’s.

Archdiocesan Assembly, 1968

Later in 1968, the parish of the Dormition of the Theotokos at Shandro was the host to an official assembly of the Archdiocese of Canada. This assembly was attended by Metropolitan Ireney (Bekish) of New York, and by the Archpriest Alexander Schememann, the dean of Saint Vladimir's Seminary in New York.

Archbishop Sylvester was able to pacify inflamed passions and to clarify numerous misunderstandings amongst the clergy and the faithful regarding the meaning and implications of autocephaly. He considered that autocephaly was the correct canonical structure for Church life in North America. Autocephaly was granted to the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America (ROGCCNA) by a Tomos of the Russian Orthodox Church on 31 March, 1970. At that time, the name of the North American Church was changed to “The Orthodox Church in America”.

Move to the Moscow Patriarchate Parishes in Canada, 1975

After the sudden repose of the Archpriest Michael Andruchow in 1975, the parishioners decided to avail themselves of the services of the clergy of the Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada. The Archdiocese of Canada was at that time suffering from a shortage of clergy, and the Moscow Patriarchate administration was able to bring clergy from Eastern Europe.

In 1976-1977, the parishioners worked together to build a parish hall nearby the Temple.

75th anniversary : visit of Metropolitan Nikodim (Rusnak) to Shandro, 1979

In 1979, the 75th anniversary of the sanctification of the Temple and the incorporation (both by Saint Tikhon (Belavin)) were marked. In this year, Saint Barbara's Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta, was marking the same anniversaries in its own history. Moreover, all the parishes in Canada were marking the 82nd anniversary of the establishment of the Orthodox Christian Faith in Canada.

In 1979, the parish marked its 75th anniversary with a festal Divine Liturgy. The Archpriest John Margitich and singers from Saint Barbara's Cathedral in Edmonton participated on this occasion.

In addition, there was a formal visit to the parish of an official entourage sent from the Church of Russia in order to mark the major anniversary of the cathedral parish of Saint Barbara in Edmonton, and of the 82 years of Orthodox Christian witness and service in Canada.

On 20 June, 1979, the Dormition Temple at Shandro was visited by Bishop Ireney (Seredniy) and the official entourage. The entourage was led by Archbishop Nikodim (Rusnak) of Kharkiv and Bogodukhov. He was accompanied by Archpriest John Korol (rector of Saint George's Cathedral in Lviv (at that time, an Orthodox Temple) ; Priest Vasily Vakulin (cleric of the Kiev diocese) ; Protodeacon Vasily Diolog (cleric of the Annunciation Cathedral in Kharkiv). On this occasion, Archpriest John Margitich and others from Edmonton were present as well.

Metropolitan Nikodim (Rusnak) and Bishop Ireney (Seredniy) were greeted with bread and salt by the Starosta, John (Ivan) Shandro, who was descended from a founding Bukovinian family. In his report, Archbishop Nikodim remarked on the Gramota given by Saint Tikhon in 1904 :

 By the Grace of God, humble Tikhon, Bishop of the Aleutian and North American.  Hereby we express 
 our archpastoral gratitude with the invocation of God's blessing to the builders of the Church of 
 the Dormition in the territory of Alberta in Canada for their labours for the benefit of the 
 Orthodox Church in North America.

The bishops served a Moleben of Thanksgiving on the occasion of the anniversary, and they also served a Panikhida (Memorial Service) for the departed founders, benefactors, and parishioners.

This visit included a stop at the private museum nearby. The archbishop and the members of the entourage commented on the fact that this little museum has significance for all of Canada. This museum was Vasily Zozulya, a zealot of the customs and culture of the ancestors of the residents of this region, many of whom came to Canada from the village of Russky Banilov near the Cheremosh River.

Vasily Zozulya (at that time, over 80 years old) and his wife Nastasia received 2 certificates from the Canadian government for founding the museum and replenishing it with new exhibits. They welcomed the entourage cordially and warmly. On the day of this visit to the museum, the Zozulyas were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. The members of the entourage heartily congratulated them, and Archbishop Nikodim presented the museum with a Ukrainian souvenir.

Afterwards, the entourage returned to Edmonton, and to many other parish-visits.

Return to the Archdiocese of Canada, 1993

In 1993, the parish returned to the Archdiocese of Canada, and The Orthodox Church in America.

From that time, it participated together with other parishes in a mutually-advantageous grouping that enabled the parishes together to support a priest. The arrangement also allowed for better pastoral care, and the parishioners themselves began to support each other as they followed the priest from Temple to Temple as he made his rounds. This arrangement has provided many other benefits to all the parishes as well. Rural depopulation has continued to affect all the parishes, especially since World War II. Not only does this arrangement provide for the mutual support of those who still farm the land, but it also has opened doors for new people to join, and for people to find the Orthodox Christian Faith from outside the Orthodox Church.

In 2001, at the conclusion of the Archdiocesan Assembly Meeting in Edmonton, Alberta, buses of representatives and clergy visited various historical rural parishes, including the Holy Dormition Church in Smoky Lake. The parishioners warmly greeted their guests. At each stop, the visitors learnt a considerable amount about the history of our Orthodox Church in Canada, and especially in the east-central part of Alberta. This region is often called "Kalyna Country" because of the omnipresence of cranberry bushes.

Centennial celebration, 2004

In 2004, the parishioners marked 100 years since the construction, incorporation, and sanctification of the Temple. All these involved Bishop Tikhon (Belavin) (who later became Patriarch of Moscow, suffered as a martyr, and was declared to be a saint).

The Hierarchical Divine Liturgy which was the focus of this major historical event took place on Saturday, 28 August, 2004.

The cool damp weather did not dampen the spirits of approximately 250 parishioners, family members and guests as they gathered on that day.

The morning began with the arrival of Bishop Seraphim (Storheim) of Ottawa. The children gleefully threw flower petals to adorn the bishop’s path to the Temple. Bishop Seraphim was greeted at the door with the presentation of traditional bread and salt by parish president Steve Hawrelak, and he was given a bouquet of flowers by parishioner Lena Lazaruk.


Greeting with bread and salt 2.png Greeting with bread and salt, and with flowers


Afterwards, Father Vasyl Kolega (pastor of the parish) greeted and welcomed the bishop into the Temple at its entrance door. Then the Hierarchical Divine Liturg was served by Bishop Seraphim, along with Protopresbyter Robert Kondratick, Chancellor of The Orthodox Church in America ; Archpriest Dennis Pihach, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Canada ; Deacon Gregory Kopchuk of Edmonton, along with other members of the clergy, including Father Vasyl.

Following the Divine Liturgy, there was a short memorial prayer-service (Litya) was held for the departed pioneers. Bishop Seraphim presented Father Vasyl Kolega with a golden pectoral Cross, in appreciation for work done in this and his other parishes. Bishop Seraphim also presented the Order of Saint Innocent medals to John Shandro and Steve Hawrelak.


Saint Innocent Medals 2.png


After these presentations, everyone processed out of the Temple for the traditional Blessing of Water, which took place at the Cross outside the Temple. Then the Temple was blessed on all 4 sides during a procession around it.

After everything was completed, everyone moved to the Willingdon Recreation Centre for more presentations and for a delicious dinner. Steve Hawrelak served as Master of Ceremonies for the programme. He paid tribute to the early pioneers for their faith and dedication in building the church, and for leaving such a great legacy for future generations. John Shandro, a long-time member of the church, as well as being the parish cantor, presented the parish history, in which he recalled to mind the pioneers who came in 1899 from Bukowina, then in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, to start a new life in Canada. Stephan Shandro, Nickon Shandro, Simeon Hawreliak, Paul Boychuk, George Ostashek, Anton Russ, and Jacob Matichuk immigrated to Canada and settled in the area which later became known as the Shandro District. These faithful persons, along with their families, were the founders of Saint Mary’s (Holy Assumption) Orthodox Church. During his remarks, the bishop recalled that one of his junior high school teachers had been Mrs. Mary Lobay (born Hawrelak), whose family roots were in this parish.

In addition, there were speeches and greetings given by the clergy, as well as by the Honourable Ed Stelmach, Member of the Legislative Assembly for the Vegreville-Viking Constituency (later premier of the province), and Mr John Leonty, Two Hills County Councillor. Written congratulatory messages were received from the Right Honourable Paul Martin, Prime Minister of Canada, the Honourable Ralph Klein, Premier of Alberta, and Mr Leon Benoit, Member of Parliament for the Vegreville Constituency.

Lena Hawreliak (91 years), the eldest lifetime church member, was presented with an Icon by the bishop, and she also received flowers from the parish membership.

Father Vasyl Kolega led the celebrants in prayer to close the celebration. [These details are taken from the p. 7 report by Stella Hawrelak.]


Father Wasyl Matushka Oksana Kolega 2.png Father Wasyl and Matushka Oksana Kolega


Landscape Elements

There is a more recently-constructed arched wrought-iron and brick memorial portal (gateway) entrance to the church grounds. The church-yard is bordered by trees on the north, west, and south sides. There is a monument located south of the Temple, which includes the inscribed names of members.

Other elements

The parish structures have long included a house for the priest who serves the parish. This fell out of use in recent times, and it was removed. A parish hall was constructed near the Temple, in which parish functions of various sorts are held.

Historic site

This parish has been listed as an Alberta Historic Place. It is also listed by the County of Two Hills as a Municipal Historic Resource.

Holy Assumption (Dormition) Cemetery, Shandro

The cemetery is located on the same property, to the south of the Temple. It was established at the time of the beginning of the parish, and it is accessed by a gate which is separate from the main gate entry to the Temple.


Shandro St Mary cemetery gate.jpg Cemetery gate


Shandro St Mary cemetery.jpg Saint Mary's Cemetery


Although it was not a part of the parish, there was for several decades the nearby "Shandro Pioneer Museum", which contained buildings and artifacts related to the rural life associated with the founding of Saint Mary’s. However, it was unable eventually to continue functioning as an active museum.

Priests who have served in this Temple include :

 Priest Jacob Korchinsky		1900-1902
 Priest Michael Skibinsky 		____-1906
 Priest Philip Pechinsky		1911-1916
 Priest Wasyl Bolfun			1916
 Priest Paul Hriczay			1916-1919
 Priest Sozik				1919-____
 Priest Gregory Soroka			____-1921
 PriestAlexander Pyza			1921-1928
 PriestAntoniy Zeminoff			1928-1936
 Archpriest Ivan Kowalchuk		1936-1967
 Bishop Joasaph (Antoniuk)		1968-1969
 Priest Andrew Harrison			1969-1970
 Mitred Archpriest John Wasel		1971-1974
 Archpriest Michael Andruchow		1974-1975
 Archpriest John Borcha			1975-1976
 Archpriest Vitaly Politylo		1976-1979
 Archpriest Arseny Melnyk		1979-1984
 Priest Ilia Antoniuk			1984-1986
 Archpriest Pavel Kramerenko		1986-1987
 Bishop Nikolai (Shkrumko)		1987-1988
 Archpriest John Voronko		1988-1989
 Archpriest Dimitri Sadowiak		1989-1993
 Archpriest Philip Speranza		1993-1997
 Archpriest Nikolai Kondratyev		1997-1998
 Archpriest Vasyl Kolega		1999-2012
 Archmandrite Gerasim (Power)		2012-

Cantors who have served in this Temple include :

 Simeon Hawrelak ; Jacob Matichuk ; Stephan Gudzowaty ; Nickolai Rawluik ; Vasyl Ostashek ; Anton Ulchek ; 
 John Shandro.


20170606 Shandro Plaque 3.jpg Entrance Gate plaque

Parish particular details

This parish is part of the Alberta & Northwest Territories Deanery of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is the Archpriest Vincent Lehr. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish is Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, 15/28 August.

In 2023, the pastor of the parish is Priest Vitalie Manoli (on loan).


Address :

Holy Dormition (Assumption) Russo Orthodox Church at Shandro

574017A, Range Road 153

Two Hills County, Alberta


Mailing address :

Parish Council, Saint Mary's Russo Orthodox Church at Shandro

PO Box 115

Willingdon, Alberta

T0B 4R0


Parish President : Steve Hawrelak

Telephone : (780) 367-2386

E-mail : sharwrelak@mcs.net


Secretary-Treasurer : Brenda Homeniuk

Telephone : (780) 367-2674

E-mail : dbhome@telus.net


Bev Homeniuk

Telephone : (780) 632-4333

E-mail : evfarms@telus.net


Directions :

Shandro is located about 135 km (84 mi) northeast of Edmonton, Alberta.

From Edmonton :

Drive eastwards on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) until Highway #855 at Mundare. Turn left (north) onto Highway #855, and drive to Highway #45 at Andrew. Turn right (east) onto Highway #45, and drive to Range Road #153. Turn left (north), and drive to the Temple, which is on the right.

From Willingdon :

Saint Mary’s Russo-Greek Orthodox Church at Shandro is located in the Shandro District in Two Hills County, approximately 14 km (9 mi) northwest of the Village of Willingdon.

Drive north on (paved) Secondary Highway #857 for about 13 km (8 mi), then west for about 2 km (1 mi) on Township Road #574 (gravel road) to Range Road #153, then north less than 1 km (1/2 mi). The Temple is on the east side of the road.

The parish cemetery is at the intersection of Township Road #574 and Range Road #153, approximately 500 m (¼ mi) south from the Temple.


Priest Vitalie Manoli

Telephone : (780) 604-5736

E-mail : vitalie.manoli@gmail.com


Saint Mary Shandro 2.png Dormition of the Theotokos Temple (the cemetery is to the right)

(photo by www.aerophoto.ru)

References

Archdiocese of Canada – Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).

A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part I

“Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, 100 Years of Orthodoxy in Canada 1897-1997 : Pictorial Memories” (Edmonton : Patriarchal Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada, 1997).

The Russian Mission in North America

Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, “Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, Millennium of the Baptism of Rus’” (Edmonton : Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, 1988). ISBN: 0-88925-830-9.

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.

“75th Anniversary of Saint Mary's Shandro Church, 28 August, 1979” (Shandro : Saint Mary's Shandro Church, 1979).

“100th Anniversary of Saint Mary's Orthodox Church Shandro Alberta, 28 August, 2004” (Shandro : Saint Mary's Orthodox Church, 2004)


Additional information :

Archdiocese listing

Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada

Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Archdiocese of Canada Facebook

OCA listing

Orthodox Church in America web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America

Moscow Patriarchate Parishes web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada

Saint Tikhon (Belavin)

Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)

Metropolitan Boris (Vik)

Metropolitan Volodymyr (Sabodan)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)

Archbishop Adam (Philipovsky)

Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk)

Archbishop Jonathan (Kopolovich)

Bishop Job (Smakouz)

Bishop Ioasaph (Skorodumov)

Bishop Job (Tyvoniuk)

Bishop Ireney (Seredniy)

Bishop Kliment Kapalin

Bishop Nikolai (Shkrumpko)

Bishop Paul (Ponomarev)

Bishop Mark (Petrovtsiy)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Mitred Archpriest John Margitich

Historic site

Two Hills historic site

Two Hills County churches brochure

Cemetery names

Findagrave entry about Saint Mary’s Cemetery in Shandro, Alberta

Roots of Community

Shandro history

Sandro Family Fonds (Alberta Provincial Archives)

Cemetery names

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Romanian Canadians

General information about Romanians in Canada

Brochure “Church Capital of North America Lamont County” (articles and photos about some of the 47 churches in the county)

Tour of the Holy Land Country Parishes Photo Gallery

‘Assembly pilgrims visit heritage churches’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2001), pp. 7-8.

‘OCA chancery staff visit historic Alberta churches’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2003), pp. 2-3.

‘Centenary celebrations at St Mary's, Shandro’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Winter, 2004/2005), p. 5. (centennial article)