Wostok-Bukovina AB Saint Nicholas Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1900
Wostok/Bukovina, Alberta, Church and Cemetery of Saint Nicholas, 1900
Wostok may be spelt Vostok (meaning "east").
Prehistory
The parish of Saint Nicholas in Wostok, Alberta, Canada, is situated in Lamont County, about 100 km (62 mi) northeast of Edmonton, Alberta. It has its early beginnings in the late 1890s, at the beginning of the settlement of this region. The nick-name “Bukovina” indicates the further history of this community.
Many of the original settlers and parishioners of Saint Nicholas’ Church originated in villages near the city of Cernăuţi (Chernivtsi) in the Chernivtsi province of Ukraine, which is historically northern Bucovina.
This part of Bucovina-Moldavia was of mixed Romanian and Russian-Ukrainian speakers, and it was this part that was severed as one result of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact between J Stalin and the western powers before World War II.
The early emigrants had left their homelands which at the end of the 19th century were within the Austro-Hungarian Empire. There, there had been for several hundred years, a constant oppression of the Orthodox Christian Faith. At this particular time, the Canadian government had sent its agents as sales-promoters to attract would-be future farmers in Western Canada. The main such agent was Dr. Josef Oleskow. The immigration to Central Alberta began in the 1890s.
Establishing the parish and the Temple, 1897, 1900, 1903
The site on which it was decided to establish a new house of worship for this community was beside the South Fort Victoria Trail (the trail that led from Edmonton to Fort Victoria, of which there is a portion on the south side of the river also). Local material for construction was gathered from the local forests, and rock and stone for the foundation came from the nearby fields.
It took 3 years of hard labour and determination to put the hopes, the intentions and the Temple building into such a condition that in the summer of 1900, it was able to be blessed and the first service to be held.
In 1900, the original Temple was a one-storey, log structure. It was a shingle-roofed building, and it had one small, central dome. It was 8.5 m (28 ft) wide and 13.7 m (45 ft) long. It was made from the assembled logs, which were cut and hewn by hand. The dedication to Saint Nicholas had been chosen because of his help for the needy. Priest Alexander Antoniev was the first parish priest to serve this community ; but he, as other priests, was serving other Temples in the region, such as Holy Trinity Church, Sunland.
In 1903, the first payment was made to the Canadian Pacific Railway for the 47 acres of land, and the last payment was made in June, 1909.
The original trustees and members were :
Elias Soloniuk ; Ivan T Tkachuk ; Gregory Wasylenchuk (trustees) ; Gawrelo Andriats ; Hnat Babich ; Evan Balan ; George and Pearl Klapatiuk ; Evan Kozakewich ; Gregory Klapatiuk ; Theodore Kushneruik ; Evan Maga ; Dmytri Melenka ; Wasyl Olinek ; John Scraba ; Nikolai Topolinitsky ; Wasyl Topolnitsky ; Wasyl Tyminski.
In 1922, a bell-house was constructed a little to the west of the Temple, and a bell was purchased for a sum of $422.00. The structure is 4.8 by 5.5 metres (16 by 18 feet). The bell was made from the finest Lake Superior copper, and it carried a guarantee for 15 years.
Renovations begin, 1939
In 1939, the Temple was renovated. The vestibule (narthex) was enlarged. The windows were repaired. New doors were put in, and the stairs were built. The members also excavated under the building. They poured a concrete foundation, and they built a basement for the Temple. The siding was torn off the exterior walls and replaced with two-ply paper. Stucco was then applied to the exterior of the building. A new hardwood floor was then installed.
In 1954, the interior of the building was painted, and the hardwood floor was sanded and varnished. Electricity was installed in 1967.
In 1967, the Temple received another facelift. The interior was panelled and the gallery and stairs were ripped out. A new rug was installed in the Altar and chairs were purchased.
View of the Temple and bell-house from the west entrance
View of the Temple and bell-house from the south
As in the beginning, the present members are very strong Orthodox believers, and they do everything they possibly can to keep their little Temple in the best condition. Their warm hospitality emphasises this.
Rural depopulation
As have all other rural parishes across Western Canada, this parish community suffered from rural depopulation, which began in the 1930s. This accelerated after World War II with the increase in mechanisation and the consolidation of small farms into larger ones. The consequence of this was the move of many people into various urban areas.
By the 1990s, the number of farms had decreased even more greatly because a great many had been bought by larger and larger farming operations.
2000 : 100 years
On 25 June, 2000, the parish celebrated its 100th anniversary, with Bishop Seraphim (Storheim) and the Priest Evan Lowig officiating.
After the Divine Liturgy and blessing of the commemorative monument, a banquet was held at the Wostok Community Hall. This hall has been used by the parish for many of its great occasions.
A commemorative plaque was also erected by the parishioners to memorialise this anniversary.
Centennial markers
Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev
On 15 December, 2002, the Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev was assigned to be the rector of the parish.
Archimandrite Gerasim (Power
In 2016, the Archimandrite Gerasim (Power) was assigned to be the rector of the parish.
Priest Kolin Berglund
On 27 May, 2018, the Priest Kolin Berglund of Smoky Lake was assigned to serve this parish.
Igumen Vladimir (Lysak)
In 2024, Igumen Vladimir (Lysak) was assigned to serve this parish (along with the others in the local parish grouping).
Saint Nicholas Russo Orthodox Cemetery, 1900
Near the Temple is the Saint Nicholas Cemetery, which has been present from the beginning, and where the history of the community may be seen in the names of the many faithful people who repose there.
In 2023, there were about 308 known interments in this cemetery.
Temple and cemetery from northeast
Particular parish information
Services are in Slavonic and English.
This parish is part of the Deanery of Alberta & Northwest Territories of the Archdiocese of Canada, The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is Archpriest Vincent B Lehr. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).
This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Saint Nicholas, 6/19 December.
In 2025, the rector of the parish is the Igumen Vladimir (Lysak).
Address :
Saint Nicholas Russo Orthodox Church (Wostok/Bukovina)
563005, Range Road #173 (NW 15 56 17 W4)
Wostok, Alberta
T0B 4S0
Directions :
The hamlet of Wostok, in Lamont County, Alberta, is 90 km (56 mi) northeast of Edmonton. Saint Nicholas Church is located 1 km (.5 mi) east of the hamlet of Wostok, Alberta, at the southern beginning of Range Road #173.
Follow Highway #15 to the northeast of Edmonton and continue towards Lamont. Before Lamont, keep to the left and follow Highway #29 to Range Road #184. Turn left (north) and drive to Saint Michael. In Saint Michael, turn to the right and follow Township Road #562A to Wostok.
An alternative approach is to drive north from the Lamont junction with Highway #29 on Highway #831 until Highway #45. Turn right and drive eastwards until Range Road #173. Turn right, and drive south about 6 km (4 mi). The Temple is on the left before the turning of the road into Wostok.
It is situated on Range Road #173, approximately 5 km (3.1 mi) south of Highway #45 and 8 km (5.0 mi) north of Highway #29.
Lamont is approximately 23 km (14 mi) southwest of Wostok.
Mailing address :
Saint Nicholas Russo Orthodox Church (Wostok/Bukovina)
Box 583
Andrew, Alberta
T0B 0C0
Telephone : 306-794-0000
E-mail : priestmonk@gmail.com
References
A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part I
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
“1900-2000 St Nicholas Russo Greek Orthodox Church Wostok, (Bukowina) Alta. 25 June, 2000” (Wostok : Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church, 2000). Centennial Anniversary folder, 2000.
Additional information :
Saint Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in Wostok, Alberta, Archdiocese of Canada listing
Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Orthodox Church in America (OCA) parish listing
Orthodox Church in America (OCA) web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Orthodox Church in America
Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Archbishop Joasaph (Skorodumov)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)
Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)
Archbishop Seraphim (Storheim)
Archpriest Vasyl and Matushka Vasylyna Ostashek
Roots of Community : Country Churches of the Prairies 1896-1906
Findagrave reference to Saint Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cemetery, Wostok-Bukovyna, Alberta
Prairie Souls : Saint Nicholas Cemetery names
Lamont County Churches Brochure, “St. Nicholas Orthodox Church (Bukowina)”, p. 38
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Wikipedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Wikipedia article about Lamont County, Alberta
University of Alberta article about Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church in Wostok-Bukowina, Alberta
Pioneer Churches on the Prairies - St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Bukowina, Alberta
‘St Tikhon Orthodox Christian Mission, Lakeland AB’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), pp. 3-4.







