Borowich AB Saint Pokrova Ukrainian Orthodox Church 1902
Borowich, Alberta, Saint Pokrova Ukrainian Orthodox Church, 1902
This parish is also known as “Saint Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Boriwtzi/Borowich”.
Borowich may be spelt Borovich, Boriwtzi, Borivitsi, Borowits.
Prehistory
The prehistory of the “Saint Pokrova Ukrainian Orthodox Church” at Borowich, Alberta, Canada, begins with the explanation of the name of the parish.
The title “Saint Pokrova” is a combined-language title (English and Ukrainian), which is more clearly understood to be “Holy Protection”. This title refers to the Protecting Veil of the Mother of God.
“Twin”
There is another parish which has the same name, but which is on the north side of the North Saskatchewan River. It is known as Saint Pokrova Ukrainian Orthodox Church at Edwand, Alberta.
Origin
It seems that many of the earliest parishioners of each community came from the same village in Bukovyna (also spelt Bukovina, Bucovina). It was one of the Romanian- and Ukrainian-speaking villages in the north part of that province of Romania, around Chernivtsi. In those days, it was a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. This particular region later was taken by J Stalin and the USSR with a World War II treaty.
Although it is not germane to the 2 communities themselves, it may be of interest that there is a Borova region of the Kharkiv Governorate in Ukraine, and also a village called Borovtsi in northwest Bulgaria.
Establishing the congregation
The genesis of the Borowich congregation can be traced to the selection of a cemetery site by area homesteaders in 1902. In that year, a special Dominion Land Grant (No. 1179) was issued to the Russo-Greek Catholic Orthodox parish of Shandro, for the purpose of establishing a Temple and cemetery in order to serve the Borowich district.
Under the blessing of Archbishop Tikhon (Belavin) of San Francisco (head of the Diocese of the Aleutians and North America of the Church of Russia), a Russo-Orthodox congregation had been organised at Shandro, North-West Territories (now Alberta) in 1900, and the members were at that time in the process of constructing their own place of worship, the Assumption (Dormition) of Saint Mary Temple (popularly called “Saint Mary’s”).
Organising the parish, 1903
In 1903, 35 local settlers met in the home of Hryhory Kowalchuk to discuss building a Temple on the 20 acres of land that had recently been acquired. In addition, the assembly elected an executive and trustees to initiate this undertaking.
Because no large trees were available nearby, the parishioners had to obtain them from woods that were 32 km (20 mi) away, north of the Andrew townsite. During the winter of 1903-1904, suitable trees were harvested from this timber stand (northeast of the Kysylew Nativity of the Theotokos Russo-Orthodox Church), after which the logs were hauled by sleigh to old Andrew for squaring at the Oliver sawmill.
Constructing the Temple, 1904
Construction began in the summer of 1904. Oleksa Morris was hired to supervise the project, and Dionysy Lastiwka served as his assistant. The 26 ft x 44 ft log structure rose slowly on a stone foundation. The work proceeded whenever parishioners had some free time to help the builders.
In 1906, Michael Zukiwski put on siding to seal the exterior walls ; and that winter, he worked with Peter Gudsovaty and other members to finish the interior, and to build the Holy Table.
Blessing the Temple, 1906
In the meantime, Priest Antony Pechinsky, assisted by Fathers Kryskha, Gregory Soroka, and Alexander Peza (of the Russian Orthodox Mission), blessed the Temple at a service held on 14 October, 1906, the Feast-day of Saint Mary the Protectress (The Protection of the Theotokos). The Theotokos (Mother of God) was adopted as the patron of the Temple.
Subsequently, a series of priests of the “Russian Orthodox Mission in North America” provided pastoral care for the congregation during the decade that followed.
Although the Borowich Temple had been essentially completed by the winter of 1906-1907, clear title to it was only obtained in 1910. The delay was caused by the required inspection by a government inspector.
In 1908, a set of 4 bells was donated to the congregation by member Nikolai Lukian. It took him a week to haul the bells from Fort Saskatchewan by an oxen-drawn sleigh.
Saint Mary Protectress Temple, Bell-house, Memorial Table
Records indicate that in 1911, the parish had 33 members. Many of the founders had originally emigrated from the Ukrainian village of Borivtsi.
Sister parish at Edwand.
As mentioned previously, the parish of Saint Mary the Protectress at Borowich is sometimes referred to as a “twin” of the Saint Pokrova Ukrainian Orthodox Church at Edwand, Alberta, on the north side of the river. The 2 Temples are not precisely identical, but their architecture is very similar, similar enough that they may be mistaken easily for each other.
World War I, Russian Revolution
After the Bolshevik Revolution in the Russian Empire in 1917, the parish continued with the rest of the Russo-Greek Orthodox parishes within the North American Church as the "Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America". This sojourn was, however, brief.
Move to the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1920
Not long after Father Ivan Kusey was posted to Alberta in June, 1920, the congregation resolved to join the newly-established Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada. It seems that subsequently, the priest, Dr. Lazar Gherman helped to celebrate the first UGOC liturgy at Borowich. Probably, he did this while he was visiting the Willingdon area in February, 1921. The Faithful of the Borowich community were thus pioneers in establishing a truly national Orthodox church amongst the Ukrainians of rural east central Alberta.
Indeed, their sanctuary, having been built and sanctified in 1906, has the unique distinction of being the oldest church structure belonging to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the province of Alberta.
Changes arising with the arrival of the railway, 1928
With the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) line through the very heart of the historic Ukrainian bloc settlement in 1928, the town of Willingdon sprang up along the path of the tracks, Borowich, however, was left aside in the countryside northeast of the new townsite.
Establishment of Willingdon, 1928 ; establishment of Willingdon parish, 1938
Willingdon was incorporated as a village on 31 August, 1928. Almost immediately, residents of Willingdon, Alberta, began discussing the building of a Temple in the village. However, a full decade was to pass before the community was in a position actually to begin constructing what became Holy Ascension Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
Decline of the Borowich parish
Completed and blessed the following year, the church in Willingdon naturally became a focus of religious activity for much of the surrounding district, a situation that could only work to the ultimate detriment of Saint Mary the Protectress church.
Still, long-time members of the Pokrova congregation continued to remain attached to their family sanctuary, and the Borovich cemetery became the burial ground used by many of the Faithful in nearby Willingdon.
Customs at Pascha
The customary local manner of celebrating the Resurrection of Christ began on Saturday, the day before the Feast of Pascha. By about 8:30 p.m., the children of the community would gather by the Temple, and their parents would build a bonfire, to which they added dry twigs and brush which they brought from neighbouring fields. They kept the fire burning until the priest would arrive towards midnight. Then, everyone entered the Temple and the Paschal services began. At the end of the services, the Paschal foods would be blessed, usually contained in a basket brought by each family. These baskets would then be taken to the family homes, where the fast would be broken in eating the blessed foods. In the earliest years, however, the services would not begin until 5:00 a.m. or 6:00 a.m.
The parish’s life of worship and testimony to Christ continued thereafter.
Aerial view of the Saint Pokrova Temple
Rural depopulation
As have all other rural parishes across Western Canada, this parish community suffered from rural depopulation, which began in the 1930s. This accelerated after World War II with the increase in mechanisation and the consolidation of small farms into larger ones.
By the 1990s, the number of farms had decreased very greatly because a great many had been bought by larger and larger farming operations. Thus, the population of this parish steadily decreased as people moved elsewhere into large urban areas.
Although Willingdon had, in a manner of speaking, benefitted at first from the consolidation of farms in the region, this process affected the village itself in due course. Its own population declined to such an extent that it gave up village status ; and in 2017, it became a hamlet. The Temple of the Holy Ascension declined in population as well ; and, eventually, it received significantly fewer services.
Re-naming of the UGOCC, 1990
In 1990, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of the Parliament of Canada.
The UOCC entered into Eucharistic union with the Patriarchate of Constantinople, 1990
In 1990, the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg, Manitoba, decided to enter into Eucharistic Union with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople (Istanbul). This decision also changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.
Centennial of the UOCC, 2018
In 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada and also of Holy Trinity Cathedral were marked at an extraordinary sobor (assembly) at the cathedral in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The purpose of the sobor was to celebrate 100 years of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The celebrations were attended by Ukrainian Orthodox faithful from across Canada and beyond.
The Sobor began on Thursday, 9 August, 2018, with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Chapel of Saint Petro Mohyla Institute, presided by Bishop Andriy (Peshko) of the Eastern Eparchy, with the responses sung by the Clergy led by Father Michael Lomaszkiewicz. This was followed by an All-Canada Clergy Conference.
All gathered for Vespers at the Mohyla Institute Chapel and this was followed by a wine and cheese reception as the delegates and guests registered for the Extraordinary National Council.
The celebrations continued for a year.
In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.
As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.
Election of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk), 2022
Election of a nominee by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
On 15-19 June, 2022, the 24th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox of Canada was convened "on-line". This conference-meeting was convened thus instead of convening physically (as customarily) in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There were 6 cathedrals in Canada where this meeting took place simultaneously through a computer-network : in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral) ; Vancouver, British Columbia (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Edmonton, Alberta (Saint John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral) ; in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Toronto, Ontario (Saints Vladimir and Olga Cathedral) ; in Montréal, Québec (Saint Sophie Cathedral).
There was a total of 205 delegates, which was near the average attendance for such sobors.
In the course of the work of the Sobor, there was the necessary election in order to nominate to the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople a candidate for election as Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, who would succeed the Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk).
There were 3 candidates who were considered : Archbishop Job (Getcha), Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk), and Bishop Andriy (Peshko). The final choice of the members of the sobor was Archbishop Job (Getcha). He had received more than the minimum required 51% of the votes, and there was no subsequent voting required.
The election by the Sobor (Assembly) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada then had to be confirmed by the Holy Synod of Bishops of Constantinople (as is described in the Consistory By-laws).
Upon having received the nomination (with accompanying documents) from the Sobor of the UOCC, the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) to become Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada.
The Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Archbishop Job (Getcha) to become Metropolitan of Pisidia, in west-central Türkiye (Turkey), north of Lycia, and east of Ephesus.
Confirmation of election in Constantinople/Istanbul, 2022
On 29 August, 2022, Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) was at the Phanar in Constantinople for the purpose of the first confirmation of the election in June, 2022. He co-served the Divine Liturgy with Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) in the Cathedral of Saint George at the Phanar.
Enthronement as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, 2022
On Saturday, 19 November, 2022, at 9:30 a.m., in Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Enthronement Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served. Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) presided at the Divine Liturgy. He was assisted by Bishop Andriy (Peshko), many priests, several deacons, subdeacons and Altar-servers. Present also were Metropolitan Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas), Exarch of Canada for the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk), Former Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) at the Phanar, Istanbul, 2023
On Sunday, 2 July, 2023, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) was present and praying during the Divine Liturgy at Saint George's Cathedral in the Patriarchate compound. He gave the blessing that Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) preside ("horostasia") over the Divine Liturgy. Metropolitan Job (Getcha) of Pisidia, Bishop Athenagoras (Ziliaskopoulos) of Nazianzos, and the Honourable Roman Nedilskyi, General Consul of Ukraine in Constantinople were also present and praying with the congregation of the Faithful.
Change of calendar for the UOCC, 2023
On 1 December, 2023, in accordance with the resolutions of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk) announced that, effective that day, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada moved to use the New (Revised Julian) Calendar. He allowed that for a brief period of time, a parish might remain on the Old (Julian) Calendar.
It seems that subsequently, John's Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta, was the first to adopt the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
However, a previously-existing group of persons began to encourage resistance to the immediacy of this change. It was their understanding that the process would be determined ultimately and finally at the next general sobor of the UOCC. Therefore, on 16 December, 2023, Metropolitan Ilarion issued a formal letter concerning the situation, together with a letter of support sent to him by his predecessor (Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)). He called the resisters to repentance.
The Saint Pokrova Cemetery, 1902
The Saint Pokrova Cemetery of Borowich was established in 1902 at the site of the future Temple. The first burial was that of John Tarangul, who died when he was kicked by a horse that he was shoeing. It caused an urgent need for a place for burial, since there was no other available.
The land purchased for the purpose was at Land Description site SW26-59-16-W4, at La (GPS Co-ordinates : 53.845508, -112.110012).
Borowich Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery, also known as Saint Mary the Protectress UOC Cemetery
According to "Findagrave", there is another cemetery associated with this Temple, "Borowich Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery". Its GPS co-ordinates are : 53.84488, -112.10979.
According to that record, in 2024, there are 271 interments listed.
Aerial view of the Temple and cemetery
Particular parish information
The Saint Pokrova Parish is a parish of the Western Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The bishop of the eparchy is Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk).
This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
In 2024, there is no assigned pastor. Clergy of the Western Eparchy provide services as they are needed.
Address :
Mary the Protectress (Pokrova) Ukrainian Orthodox Church
562078A, Range Road #151
Boriwtzi, Alberta (near Willingdon, Alberta)
T0B 0C7
Telephone : (780) 476-7014
Directions :
The Temple and Cemetery of Saint Mary Protectress is situated at Boriwtzi, northeast of Willingdon, Alberta. Willingdon is located 117 km (73 mi) northeast of Edmonton, Alberta.
From Edmonton, drive eastwards on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) until Highway #855 at Mundare, Alberta. Turn left (north) onto Highway #855, and drive northwards until the junction with Highway #29. Turn right (east) onto Highway #29, and drive eastwards until the junction with Range Road #151. Turn left (north) onto Range Road #151, and drive northwards to Willingdon.
From Highway #45 at Willingdon, drive north on 46 Street, which becomes Range Road #151. The Temple is on the left.
This Temple is approximately 2 km from Holy Assumption Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Willingdon.
References
“Archdiocese of Canada – Orthodox Church in America, The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).
“Collection of Material Relating to the 50th Anniversary of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918-1968” (Winnipeg : Consistory of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1968).
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Pioneer Churches history of Saint Pokrova Temple Borowich
Yereniuk, Prof. Roman, “A Short Historical Outline of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (UOCC)”.
Additional information :
A Brief History of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part I
The “Russian Mission” in North America
Martynowych, Orest, “The Ukrainian Bloc Settlement in East Central Alberta, 1890-1930 : A History”
Sametz, William, “My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056.
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada listing for Saint Mary the Protectress Borowitzi
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Saint Pokrova, Edwand, Alberta parish listing
Holy Assumption Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Willingdon
University of Alberta photo of Saint Pokrova Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Orthodox World reference to Saint Mary the Protectress Church Willingdon
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Wikipedia article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
Patriarch Saint Tikhon (Belavin)
Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)
Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Benjamin (Basalyga)
Metropolitan John (Theodorovych)
Metropolitan Ilarion I (Ohienko)
Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)
Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk)
Encyclopaedia of Ukraine History of Ukrainians in Alberta
Findagrave reference for Saint Mary Protectress Borowich Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery
Findagrave reference for names at the Saint Mary Protectress Borowich Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery
Graveviews.com record of the Saint Pokrova Cemetery
University of Alberta list of families at Pokrova Parish
Alternative Findagrave reference for Borowich Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery
Encyclopaedia of Ukraine article about the UOCC
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Wikipedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Wikipedia article about the Ukrainian diaspora
Ukrainian Immigration to Canada
Library and Archives of Canada article about the Ukrainians in Alberta
"Historical Overview" about immigration of Ukrainians to Alberta
Enthronement of Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (19 November, 2022)
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) announces Change of Calendar (1 December, 2023)






